[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 51 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
I liked the Hetzer. You can be paired up into higher tiered battles but with so few higher tiered tanks out there, at least on EU, you'll mostly be paired with T5's with the odd T6 and the 10.5cm with HE does well.

I'm most of the way through my M5 Stuart, rolling towards my M7 now. God how this is painful...

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
like all the german TD suck wang after the Marder II until the Ferdinand, and until the JagdTiger gets fixed (unless it is fixed already) it sucks too.

So basically after the Marder II you have to hold out until the Ferdinand and that's as good as it gets.

I actually logged in and played my beta tank which is pretty awesome

Not true. . . The JPIV is a helluva TD. It's also the last German TD with a camo value greater than zero.

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
it still sucks compared to the tanks it fights and the SU-100

and who needs camo when the ferdinand is usually top and bounces/obliterates everything in matches :)

Last edited:

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Well im on my way towards a stug, upgunned the hetzer and upgraded the engine so its competent now, its awesome in low tier games but in high tier ones im not that helpful. I can track some of the bigger tanks but thats about it, as soon as they notice me its GG.

Does the crew always say something when you hit the enemy? Ive noticed enemy health decreasing but my crew dont say anything, so im not sure if i hit them or if it was an ally.

Also hows the T28? Ive gotten past that horrible horrible T46. Is it worth getting the 85mm gun for it or should i just grind to the KV?

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Well im on my way towards a stug, upgunned the hetzer and upgraded the engine so its competent now, its awesome in low tier games but in high tier ones im not that helpful. I can track some of the bigger tanks but thats about it, as soon as they notice me its GG.

Does the crew always say something when you hit the enemy? Ive noticed enemy health decreasing but my crew dont say anything, so im not sure if i hit them or if it was an ally.

Also hows the T28? Ive gotten past that horrible horrible T46. Is it worth getting the 85mm gun for it or should i just grind to the KV?

Hetzer with 10.5cm and HE. Can damage any tank reliably (tested up to tier 9). It is true that if they spot you, you're wiped... but play it right and you can get off multiple shots and/or help your teammates by method of distraction.

Crew chatter on hit? Not always but most times. The little red symbol above the enemy will blink if a connection is made. It will flash black and back to red on a bounce, can't remember what it does for a penetration or module damage hit but it still does something.

T-28? I hated the T-28 and was glad to get my KV. The T-28 is a huge medium tank which is reasonably manueverable and packs a very good gun for it's tier. It's armour is paper thin and it's large profile mean that it is very vulnerable. Can be used effectively but I absolutely despise it.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I learned to use the T28 as a sniper tank. The 85mm gun is good for its class. Doesn't do much damage against the big big boys though. Put a rammer on it and it fires fairly quick. You can lay down some steady stream of firing lead from heavy brush or from behind a huge boulder. Everyone knows the armor is paper thin though so people will shoot you just so they can get their kill ratio up. Cant tell you how many times I found myself in a situation where a dying tank will struggle to get off that one last shot and he does everything to make it the T28 because he knows he can one shot a T28. It happened a lot.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Trying to decide what gun to use on my M7 while I burn through the last 28k towards my Easy 8.

One deals more damage but lacks a touch of penetration. It's a tough call. I'm thinking of going for the lower penetration one to score more small tank kills.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Ive gotten past the hetzer thank god and ive gotten a fully upgraded stug which is pretty awesome, i cant toe to toe with the dreaded KV but i can kill them as long as they are looking somewhere else, got 8 kills and lost 0 HP with my new stug by hiding in a bush the whole game :D

On the russian side of things ive gotten past the T28 which wasent bad, i played it like a TD, glass cannon. Ive got a KV now, what guns do i want on this thing? I see quite a few options, people rave about the 122 U11, but i dunno which to go for first or which need that box turret, im just a stock KV right now.

Lastly is it worth me spending 20k training the KV crew to 75%? The stug makes lots of cash and im prolly gonna be with the KV for a while. Also is it HE or AP ammo i should use? What are the differences?

Last edited:

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
On the russian side of things ive gotten past the T28 which wasent bad, i played it like a TD, glass cannon. Ive got a KV now, what guns do i want on this thing? I see quite a few options, people rave about the 122 U11, but i dunno which to go for first or which need that box turret, im just a stock KV right now.

Lastly is it worth me spending 20k training the KV crew to 75%? The stug makes lots of cash and im prolly gonna be with the KV for a while. Also is it HE or AP ammo i should use? What are the differences?

KV - Box turret, 107mm, hang behind the main group and close range sniper support is your game. You cannot turn fast enough if threats get up close to keep them at a distance. They are overpowered to pieces in Tier 5 max matches, it's hilarious.

Crew? Yes, 75% crew probably starts becoming affordable/desirable at Tier 5 and above. 50% crew is just desperate.

AP/HE always depends on the gun and your target. For example, the Heter's 10.5cm is clearly a gun meant to use HE (low AP penetration, high'ish HE damage).

A penetration type gun like your StuG III's Gun 7,5 cm StuK 42 L/70 which has 138mm AP penetration and 38mm HE penetration. It is clear that on most targets (up to Tier 5/6 Heavies and similar Mediums, maybe 7's too) that you should use AP. For targets above that, you're not likely to do much to them except bounce with AP so HE is a method which means you can deal some damage.

See 'When do I use Armour Piercing (AP) rounds and when do I use High Explosive (HE) rounds? " in my FAQ. It needs updating but the AP/HE arguements are still relevant.

zoic

Nov 10, 2009
Basicly anything is better than the 76mm guns on the KV. I have gone with the 122mm because I like to be more up front, so I need the turret mobility the "out house"-turret doesn't have.

The 107mm is the best gun on the KV, but I just can't make myself use that turret D:

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
damn i've been wasting my xp on germans, wanted to try german heavies this time.
i knew i should have stuck with the russian line, i see kv's everywhere now and i'm getting rocked haha

i decided this time to go russian AT, german heavy and american spg, maybe i should dump the german line and go back to russian heavies

1ceHacka

Mar 3, 2006
I got KV and T1 Heavy over the weekend. I put the big boy 152mm on my KV though. Takes roughly 20seconds or more to reload, but I just love 1 shotting other Heavies. The T1 I like playing back and "sniping" the mediums or lights that rush. I haven't had the time to upgrade the gun at all on it yet, so maybe my play style will change once I get it upgraded.

About the Hetzer, I liked this TD. I agree that if you are spotted you are dead, but if you know that you can rule a section of the battlefield. I put a camo net and some 75% crew and had no problem taking people out before they could spot me. Only problems I had were getting into games with some of the big boy American heavies. Then I would just have to track them and hope the arty could down them.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
The 152 mm with the box top on the KV if you don't mind the 30 second reload time. The gun will 1 shot everything tier 5 and below and will severely damage anything else. It can 2 shot T1 heavies easily, and I have 2 shot a tiger before somehow. The accuracy is pretty terrible though and the shell speed leaves a bit to be desired.

I've noticed the only tell-tale sign of a "hit" is the little money sound (or the bells ringing... not sure which one) when your shell connects. Though it will ONLY make this sound if the target is in sight. If you're blind firing, you will hear no sound even if you damage the tank.

I'm playing without premium right now (waiting for the updated patch first...) so I'm lvling very slowly. Finally got the A-20 and a nice gun, thinking to myself "yay, I can kill stuff now" and....

I see a KT on the other team along with 3 KV-3s. And 2 tigers.

FML.

1ceHacka

Mar 3, 2006
Ha yeah I loved grinding the M3 Lee (worst tank ever IMO) and joining a game only to see a bunch of Heavies on the field. It was at that time that I basically chose to sit back with our arty and watch for the little guys that always come on the flanks and try to harass them.

I heard something in game about there already being people in Tier 9 stuff. That seems pretty crazy to me, but anything is doable I guess.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I heard about some people being in pershings and T54s.... crazy to me. Even with premium account that'd have to be over 800-900 games.... Plus there's not enough people for a proper matchmaking at that level yet either.

meanwhile, I'm just trying to grind through the a-20 so I can get a t-34... then go down the russian TD route. Always wanted to try firing a BL-10... :)

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
yea grinding is a bitch, no premium here yet altho at some point i probably will just to support the devs

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Sitting 40k away from my T20...

My Easy 8 and I share a love hate relationship. It loves to explode and misss shots, I hate it :D

Tricked out with suspension, turret and 76mm M1A2 upgrades as well as Camo Net, Rammer and Vertical Stabiliser, 92% crew. The gun is supposed to have a 0.35 accuracy rating but even when stopped and fully aimed, I'm majorly struggling with some targets.

Just going to have to grin and bear it I suppose.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
KV - Box turret, 107mm, hang behind the main group and close range sniper support is your game. You cannot turn fast enough if threats get up close to keep them at a distance. They are overpowered to pieces in Tier 5 max matches, it's hilarious.

Crew? Yes, 75% crew probably starts becoming affordable/desirable at Tier 5 and above. 50% crew is just desperate.

AP/HE always depends on the gun and your target. For example, the Heter's 10.5cm is clearly a gun meant to use HE (low AP penetration, high'ish HE damage).

A penetration type gun like your StuG III's Gun 7,5 cm StuK 42 L/70 which has 138mm AP penetration and 38mm HE penetration. It is clear that on most targets (up to Tier 5/6 Heavies and similar Mediums, maybe 7's too) that you should use AP. For targets above that, you're not likely to do much to them except bounce with AP so HE is a method which means you can deal some damage.

See 'When do I use Armour Piercing (AP) rounds and when do I use High Explosive (HE) rounds? " in my FAQ. It needs updating but the AP/HE arguements are still relevant.

Nice FAQ :thumbsup:

I got the 122mm gun to grind with until i get the 14k for that 107, ive researched the KV2 turret but haven't installed it. If that 107 is anything like this 122 then this tank is gonna be awesome, i love one shotting these rubbish little panzer IIIa's, i feel for them though as that was what i had at one point in the beta. Smashes hetzers and stugs pretty well too.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
when do you get these upgrades? and where? like camo , rammer...etc..?
does my crew have to be at 100% before i can get those?

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
when do you get these upgrades? and where? like camo , rammer...etc..?
does my crew have to be at 100% before i can get those?

Crew skill dosent matter you can still get these upgrades. Theres 3 blank boxes on your tanks equipment layout, you got the gun, tracks, radio etc the three blank boxes next to that are for the upgrades, click them to see what you can put on there.

They're pretty expensive though, the +25% camo is 100k and its the cheapest one i believe. Optics etc are 500k.

zoic

Nov 10, 2009
Camo and Optics are good since you can transfer them between tanks. Others are tanks specific(noted by the small lock icon).

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
Camo and Optics are good since you can transfer them between tanks. Others are tanks specific(noted by the small lock icon).

Careful . . . Binoculars are transferable but optics are not. Optics gives you +10% at all times. Binoculars give you (I think) +20%, but you need to be sitting still to use them.