[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 50 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Did they add the American tank destroyer line? The website doesnt show it but I did find a post in the dev section about American TD's.

zoic

Nov 10, 2009
Yea, I'm on EU servers. WoT nick is "zoic"

Also, there is no TD line yet for USA. You can see the current techtrees in the wiki, also the planned techtrees.

Last edited:

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
For the people who got far in the beta, hows this for a plan, level up a russian tank whilest leveling up a german tank destroyer. I hear russian tanks are overpowered. Good idea? How are german TD's?

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
For the people who got far in the beta, hows this for a plan, level up a russian tank whilest leveling up a german tank destroyer. I hear russian tanks are overpowered. Good idea? How are german TD's?

I did that in beta. The ferdinand is absolutely painful to drive until you get the good engine, and the stock gun is such a piece of crap that you can't even dent the IS-3s and 4s you get put into battles with. (You'll be lucky to hurt a 3002 DB) Until you get the best gun the ferdinand is absolutely horrendous.

The only redeeming factor in the german line is the marder II and the stug. (jagdpanther is alright... but seems to miss a lot for some reason.)

OBJ 704 is vastly superior to the jagdtiger in terms of speed, camo, firepower and manuverability. Ferdy vs ISU-152 is a toss up, but the ISU with the BL-10 is terrifying to fight to say the least.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002

Russian tanks OP? No, just easier to drive effectively imo, give or take a few armour bugs.

The German TD's are quite good. Until you hit the Ferdiand, they are reasonably mobile with good guns and front armour for their tier. Once you reach the Ferdinand, they are slow and ponderous but very heavily armoured frontally, give or take the armour bugs/exceptions.

I do recommend picking two lines you want to progress and heading down that road. It allows you to switch out when one dies early in battle and progress the other.

Personally, after getting the Tier 8 Russian TD and Tier 7 German TD in CBT, I'd recommend the Russian TD's. Just so much fun with a massive gun, sneaking around and popping a round off at anyone you see. The upper end are slightly more mobile, weaker armour but much bigger gun (better penetration and damage I believe).

As for mediums, I had a T-44 and liked it with 100% crew and fully tricked out. The T-54 is allegedly Godlike but I feel that the Panther II is better. Well armoured, less mobile and packs a very nice gun which has penetration, damage and refire rate. The Pershing wasn't used much when I was around so I can't comment too much. People didn't seem to be too impressed.

1ceHacka

Mar 3, 2006
I'm not seeing much love for the American tanks in here...maybe I chose the wrong faction! I did at least choose to go down the German TD path, but my primary focus has been on the American med tanks.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
the pershing seems to have the same weak armor issue that the rest of the american medium line suffers from. It can get a nice huge gun, its speedy and agile but I have no problems damaging it. Its something i shoot at if I want to penetrate the frontal armor reliably... and it shows from the quick deaths they suffer. Packs a big punch though.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Well, since everyone seems to be going for the Russian or German line on the EU server, I'm going for the Pershing as a primary, Panther II as a secondary and keeping an AT-1 as a fun toy.

Sounds like I need to play the Pershing in a similar way as to the way I was going to play the Panther II, as a rapid response tank or a flanker... also similar in the way to how I played the SU-152/ISU-152. Sneak up the side, bash the crap out of the side of the enemy spearhead and either join the assault or vanish.

Arsinek

Feb 9, 2010
So whats the deal with the MMO aspect of this game? I played it up to one of the high tier heavy russian tanks but got board because it seemed like nothing but team death match.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
How about this "accelerate crew training"? Do i still get "free xp" when i use that? Ive got a panzerjager TD to elite and i dont plan on getting gold to transfer the XP to the next TD up so should i accelerate the crew training or just leave it as is?

beni9n

Jan 4, 2011
I'm not seeing much love for the American tanks in here...maybe I chose the wrong faction! I did at least choose to go down the German TD path, but my primary focus has been on the American med tanks.

Speaking from a Heavy tank perspective, I hated seeing T29s on the opposing team. Very tempted to go that route after going down the Russian Heavy line. Never played any medium tank much though.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
How about this "accelerate crew training"? Do i still get "free xp" when i use that? Ive got a panzerjager TD to elite and i dont plan on getting gold to transfer the XP to the next TD up so should i accelerate the crew training or just leave it as is?

Depends on if you plan to keep playing that tank. If you turn on accelerate crew training you don't get additional exp. Not sure if you still get the free exp though.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Holy crap are the beginner tanks more painful than I remember in the beta. Sucks the American TD line isnt in :(

Going German medium line for Panther
Going up Russian line for TD.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002

If you want to keep the PanzerJager I and do not plan to purchase gold for Exp Transfer, I would accelerate Crew Training. You still receive free experience and any experience you would have gained in-match is added to your crew's experience, leveling them faster.

Seems like a win-win to me. (I'm doing the same with my AT-1 when he hits Elite)

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Got disconnected 4 times tonight. Lag was bad. I kept checking my router and my Internet was up and working properly so not sure what was going on. Quitting early because it was getting frustrating. I'm guessing they need a server reboot or some maintenance asap. I'll try again tomorrow.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Excellent, ill accelerate their training then.

Hows the hetzer compared to marder II? Im finding i like my marder II with big beast 76mm gun quite a lot, hetzer dosent seem to offer much over it.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Excellent, ill accelerate their training then.

Hows the hetzer compared to marder II? Im finding i like my marder II with big beast 76mm gun quite a lot, hetzer dosent seem to offer much over it.

Hetzer is a piece of crap compared to marder. You get placed into much higher tiered battles and the thing is slow, can't traverse well and the sloped armor is not much help. I loved the marder II to death, and hated the hetzer.

The only redeeming factor about the tank is that you get to use the stug after the hetzer. The camo value isn't terrible either I suppose. The 105mm is good for the tier but good luck with it.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Hetzer is a piece of crap compared to marder. You get placed into much higher tiered battles and the thing is slow, can't traverse well and the sloped armor is not much help. I loved the marder II to death, and hated the hetzer.

The only redeeming factor about the tank is that you get to use the stug after the hetzer. The camo value isn't terrible either I suppose. The 105mm is good for the tier but good luck with it.

Oh my god.... i just upgraded to it and yeah... god damnit this thing is slow... i can barely pull 10km/h in this. I miss my marder :(

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
hmm i'm going russian AT right now as i loved my su100, can't imagine the object

i think im going german heavy tho, or are the IS's that much better? i only got to the KV before the wipe

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
I am grinding through American arty without gold now. I'm about half way through the Priest and cannot wait for the M41. The Priest is not that bad once you get a good crew but the gun is painfully weak. I did have a great moment today though. I was the only person on my team left against an enemy KV and SU-26. I ran out of base to an ambush spot along the lines I though the KV would approach. He went past me and I let him get about 200m away and then started shelling him from behind. It took about 6 shots, but I made each one and tracked him on each hit. Then I hunted down the SU-26 and killed him with a point blank shot to the rear.

Good times!

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
Oh my god.... i just upgraded to it and yeah... god damnit this thing is slow... i can barely pull 10km/h in this. I miss my marder :(
like all the german TD suck wang after the Marder II until the Ferdinand, and until the JagdTiger gets fixed (unless it is fixed already) it sucks too.

So basically after the Marder II you have to hold out until the Ferdinand and that's as good as it gets.

I actually logged in and played my beta tank which is pretty awesome