[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 49 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
so last night about 5-6 of us went fully upgraded bt2's, searched for the big dog heavy that was in the map, surrounded him (front, back, left, right), he killed us of course, but he was completely stuck surrounded by our destroyed tanks and was taken out of the game since he couldn't move anymore (he was calling us names and generally cussing the hell out of us calling us noobs LOL). good times.

surprisingly i was amazed at how well a full on bt2 rush to cap worked

1ceHacka

Mar 3, 2006
So I just started playing this last night. After reading through part of this thread I saved my silver and went straight to a BT-2 and started upgrading. I am really liking the game so far, but I'm not sure the BT-2 is for me. When I play with the German starter tank, I tend to sit back and tank shots at the rushers. I generally get 1-3 kills per match doing this. Piloting my BT-2, I attempt to rush a far flank and even when I get behind the enemy, I can't take one out fast enough before others arrive. I don't stop moving as I know my speed is my best defense, but even still some of the big dogs still track me.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
There's no "I win" tank -at least not at your level. Just play and die and unlock other tanks.

1ceHacka

Mar 3, 2006
There's no "I win" tank -at least not at your level. Just play and die and unlock other tanks.

So do all 3 factions offer the same type of tanks or do each specialize in a particular area? (i.e. German = slow heavy gunner, Russian = fast, etc.)

Edit: The Maus looks pretty stout. Enough armor to make most shots just bounce.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
So do all 3 factions offer the same type of tanks or do each specialize in a particular area? (i.e. German = slow heavy gunner, Russian = fast, etc.)

Edit: The Maus looks pretty stout. Enough armor to make most shots just bounce.

Read the thread.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
The lower tier tanks have the best balance of the game IMHO. I just love Tier 2 fights with my T26. I could play in these battles all day long they are so much fun. Its the reason why I kept my T26.

Ramma2

Platinum Member
Jul 29, 2002
Hey this game looks cool! I'll try it out tonight.

*le 1.7GB download*

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

1ceHacka

Mar 3, 2006
I played about 20 battles last night in my BT-2. Started to get the hang of how to deal with it. I not only used my speed, but quick changes in direction to throw off turret tracking. A few battles I ended up terrorizing the enemy flank and taking out 3-4 before someone with take out a track or something on me.

I also purchased both an arty and a tank killer, but didn't play these much as I immediately got thrown into games with higher tech tanks, and I wasn't ready for that quite yet.

Last edited:

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Had some fun tonight. Mostly played my t26 and KT. Nice to see the server pop over 7k.

1ceHacka

Mar 3, 2006
I am starting to get the hang of Arty now. I came out of 5 matches in a row with 3+ kills and damage on a few others. I was getting pretty lucky with my teams though as they weren't just abandoning us arty, but instead providing support and spotting. I am trying not to spend too much more time on this though since release is right around the corner, and I'll have to start over again.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Got an email from them about release. Also said anyone in beta with over 100 battles gets a special M4.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I am starting to get the hang of Arty now. I came out of 5 matches in a row with 3+ kills and damage on a few others. I was getting pretty lucky with my teams though as they weren't just abandoning us arty, but instead providing support and spotting. I am trying not to spend too much more time on this though since release is right around the corner, and I'll have to start over again.

Arty is pretty much luck. The smaller artys aim faster and are usually paired up with tanks you can 1-2 shot. Once you get to a hummel/grille (forgot what tier those are... 3/4?) it quickly goes down hill. It takes over 10 seconds for my reticule to zoom in and the shell zone is huge unless the enemy's parked on a hill somewhere.

I can't count the number of times i've missed non-moving tank destroyers. Big ones like Jagdtiger and ferdinand. Makes me facepalm so hard.

1ceHacka

Mar 3, 2006
Arty is pretty much luck. The smaller artys aim faster and are usually paired up with tanks you can 1-2 shot. Once you get to a hummel/grille (forgot what tier those are... 3/4?) it quickly goes down hill. It takes over 10 seconds for my reticule to zoom in and the shell zone is huge unless the enemy's parked on a hill somewhere.

I can't count the number of times i've missed non-moving tank destroyers. Big ones like Jagdtiger and ferdinand. Makes me facepalm so hard.

I figured like most things it gets harder as you progress.

I had something similar happen last night. Tank destroyer sitting in a bush not moving at all. I shot at him 4 times, and he never moved. Every shot went to one side or the other, and my crew would just say "OHHHHHH THAT WAS A CLOSE ONE!" Someone else ended up taking him out before I could fire a 5th shot...

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I figured like most things it gets harder as you progress.

I had something similar happen last night. Tank destroyer sitting in a bush not moving at all. I shot at him 4 times, and he never moved. Every shot went to one side or the other, and my crew would just say "OHHHHHH THAT WAS A CLOSE ONE!" Someone else ended up taking him out before I could fire a 5th shot...

That's the general experience I have with arty. As you go up in tier you aim slower, reload slower and do more damage with less accuracy. Not saying Arty sucks... I've 1-shotted ferdinands in my hummel and took out nearly whole armies of light and mediums with my grille but these little sparks are few and far between. Most games I'm stuck hitting 3-4 targets and not killing anything unless my counter-battery gets lucky.

I've stopped trying to grind my hummel because it just isn't worth the effort... not fun at all shooting and missing and waiting 20 seconds for a reload. Have way more fun either zipping around in a medium or getting into slug fests in a big heavy tank.

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Got an email from them about release. Also said anyone in beta with over 100 battles gets a special M4.
I believe it was 1000 battles to get the free tank (M4A2E4) + free garage slot and you had to have been registered before January 27th (end of closed beta testing period).

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I did pre-order. I forgot to look at how many battles I had. I know it was over 3000 because last time I looked it was at that number. They should give a small reward for those that have been with them for a while. Its not like it costs them anything huge and won't ruin the game really in any way. I'll only play on weekends though probably. Got too many other games I'm playing and so little game time.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
So, it went live today. Interesting.

I was burned out on the game by the time I posted this thread, but I might DL it again to see if it's changed.

1ceHacka

Mar 3, 2006
Yeah, it came online for battles at around 5pm EST or so. The early games were definitely easy if you actually know how to play. People were rushing their starter tanks like crazy. I just sat in cover and raked in the kills.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I worked last night so I didn't get home till late. Getting into the released version was pretty simple and quick. Copy and paste the promo code I got in my pre-order confirmation email onto the official site and it was recognized instantly. Then went to my beta game logged on and did the patch update which didn't take very long. A minute or two for new patch to apply and then I was in. I logged in about 12:45 AM EST. I was pleased to see just over 10k people on the server. Paid for a month's premium (2500 gold) with part of my gold hoard and I was ready to go.

I had the three starter tanks that everyone has at the beginning. The M6 pre-order tank and the M4 freebie tank for being a beta tester was also there waiting for me. I decided I would just start from the beginning with the starter tanks. I would try the M4 and M6 later today. I wanted to get my starter tanks elite and then have them ready to be able to move onto the next tanks in the three lines. I also wanted to get back into my T26 because that's my favorite Tier 2 to fight in. I'll be keeping it after the others are discarded. I really enjoy Tier 2 battles. So I got all three main faction starter tanks elite and even got my Tier 2 T26 tank elite by the time I was done for the night. I quit playing a little after 3AM EST. There were still 5k or 6k people playing. Server population was quite good I thought.

The battles were fast for the most part. Lots of people rushing into battle from the very start. I generally laid back and did as much killing of the rushers as I could. In almost every fight people who got killed they were yelling about cheating and haxxers. I thought it was funny really. Never heard so many cheating accusations before as last night. The invisi tank bug still exists unfortunately. I'm guessing they don't know how to fix the problem yet or they would have fixed by now. Its been around for a long while now. No reason why they couldn't have it fixed if they know how.

The game play and graphics is pretty good and much like it was before the patch. One thing I did notice however was that my frame rate was down anywhere from one third to one half of what it was during the beta at times in game. I'm not sure if its due to number of people on the server now or something else they changed. I'm using the exact same rig and the exact same settings so I didn't change anything on my end. I'm thinking its server lag on their end or something. I'll keep my eye on over the next few days to see if I can nail it down.

Well, that's my quick starting impressions of a couple of hours of play from last night.

Edit: The game rig I'm using is a Lian-Li V354 case, ASUS P8P67-M Pro mobo, 2500k cpu w/ Corsair H50 CPU Cooler, 8GB RAM, WD 1TB Black hdd, and HIS 6950 GPU

Last edited:

beni9n

Jan 4, 2011
Started up again after the hard wipe and bought a month's worth of gold. I didn't pre-order because I'm not sure how long I'll be sticking with the game. I got to the tier 3 T46, which is probably my favorite tank in the beta. Loaded it out with the 76mm and got some good shots in before calling it a night. I do miss the 100% crew and all the modules I had on it.