[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 48 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
i keep getting 1 shotted by artillery, seems i've been stuck at tier3 forever

The best way to avoid being shot and killed by arty is to play arty for a bit. Once you get an idea of how arty works and how arty thinks, it becomes much easier to play other tanks.

This is ESPECIALLY true if you play TDs because usually they are the best and easiest targets for arty. If you're a heavy TD that's been spotted by artillery, you're going to be a target.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Stop at the KT IMO - I hate the Ausf B (I really liked my fully decked out KT). It gets a little better once you get the better gun for it but I haven't played it in months

Yeah, I'm not really interested going higher in that line so I don't see myself going for the Ausf B.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
i'm trying not to upgrade my t28 except what's needed to get the KV
but i need 13k research points, and it's taking forever to level up.

should i be spending points on better tracks/motor and the other guns? (57mm --> 85mm) ? will it help me earn points faster or just stick to what i'm doing now?

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001

should i be spending points on better tracks/motor and the other guns? (57mm --> 85mm) ? will it help me earn points faster or just stick to what i'm doing now?

Never played through the t28 (used free-exp to go through it...) but I was under the impression that the tank has paper thin armor but packs a huge punch with the better guns. So the idea would be tracks -> turret -> gun -> engine if you need it.... don't know how the stock engine is on that tank.

The general impression that I have from people on the forums is that the tank is fun to play once you get a nice big gun that can wreck small vehicles.

beni9n

Jan 4, 2011

I've been upgrading the tanks before moving on as a general rule. Upgrading does prolong the time spent at a particular tank, but I find that it's generally more fun to be playing a tank that's more fitted out than trying to grind with a tank that's not upgraded.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I've been upgrading the tanks before moving on as a general rule. Upgrading does prolong the time spent at a particular tank, but I find that it's generally more fun to be playing a tank that's more fitted out than trying to grind with a tank that's not upgraded.

That'd be ideal, but its not really feasible when you need like 20-30k worth of free exp to research tracks or guns at tier 7-8 and beyond. I wish I can research the BL-9 before i swap to the IS-3 but... yeah. :p

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005

I've found the T28 to be enjoyable enough to justify all the upgrades. If I had to only do 1 I'd do the gun though. It hits well enough but doesnt have much armor. Dont lead any charges and flanking/sniping is your friend.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
cool thanks, i'll upgrade and keep the t28 as my tier 4 medium and keep it
i've gotten rid of all my tanks as soon as i unlocked the next tier so far

Dec 27, 2004
www.store.massiverc.com
My best game was in a T-28. Last guy alive defending against 5-6 attackers:

0f9311b3.jpg

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
God I hated the T28.

I actually manged to get the is 4. Love.

What was your upgrade progression for the IS3? Tracks and then the BL9? Is the turret any useful?

I just got the stock yesterday and I feel like a less mobile IS. Got a bit more armor but now I'm reliably being paired up with tier 10 and tier 9 heavies. With the stock 122 it's nigh impossible to damage any of these guys except with HE rounds.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Logged on for three rounds last night for first time in a couple months. Since I now have so much money tossed the hetzer crew 100% experience across the board. Wow what an effect going from 70 to 100 is. Was no longer getting any bounced shots and had a noticebly faster reload. One of the rounds even had me as the top tank on my side and I went charging into the enemy like a king tiger. Great damage was done till an arty nailed me. Did check out the preorder prices (my main reason for logging) and was somewhat surprised to seem then so high.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Logged on for three rounds last night for first time in a couple months. Since I now have so much money tossed the hetzer crew 100% experience across the board. Wow what an effect going from 70 to 100 is. Was no longer getting any bounced shots and had a noticebly faster reload. One of the rounds even had me as the top tank on my side and I went charging into the enemy like a king tiger. Great damage was done till an arty nailed me. Did check out the preorder prices (my main reason for logging) and was somewhat surprised to seem then so high.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
The T28 isn't all bad. Once you get the 85mm gun on it its decent for its own class. The armor is paper thin as people say. The way I played mine was as a sniper. Find a place to hide and pop shots at the bigger guys. Funny thing is though... many tanks in this game are best at playing from the back and sniping. If you ever read the WoT forum guides on how best to play most of the tanks in WoT staying back and sniping is often recommended.

P.S. Playing WoT on a 28" LCD is just orgasmic.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
If you ever read the WoT forum guides on how best to play most of the tanks in WoT staying back and sniping is often recommended.

My guides are always about 'know your tank'. If you know your strengths, play to them. IF you know your weaknesses, hide them or flaunt them.

PS. Playing WoT on a 47" LCD @ 1080p is orgasmic :D

beni9n

Jan 4, 2011
The T28 isn't all bad. Once you get the 85mm gun on it its decent for its own class. The armor is paper thin as people say. The way I played mine was as a sniper. Find a place to hide and pop shots at the bigger guys. Funny thing is though... many tanks in this game are best at playing from the back and sniping. If you ever read the WoT forum guides on how best to play most of the tanks in WoT staying back and sniping is often recommended.

That's the easiest way to play but also the most boring in my opinion.

Getting up close is a much riskier move and payout isn't that great either at times. Though I'll never forget slow circling a heavy with my light in reverse right next to the heavy while watching and hoping that the large turret traverse doesn't catch up before a TD took him out.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
That's the easiest way to play but also the most boring in my opinion.

Getting up close is a much riskier move and payout isn't that great either at times. Though I'll never forget slow circling a heavy with my light in reverse right next to the heavy while watching and hoping that the large turret traverse doesn't catch up before a TD took him out.

I agree with you getting up into the heat of the battle is the most fun but sometimes the tank in question simply is not up to the task when playing against bigger and badder tanks. I have used the T28 for scouting and mixing it up with other tanks. And it can be fun. Takes some skill too, as with all tanks, but its armor doesn't allow for much damage taken. For those that cannot deal with or do that though staying back and sniping is a viable alternative. Boring as it may be to some.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
It's fun to rush in with a really fast tank to light them up for arty, getting shot at left and right but just barely too fast to hit, the excitement, heart pounding, maybe a little adrenaline, woohooooooooooo eat it suckas, my arty has a present for youuuuu! :twisted:

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
It's fun to rush in with a really fast tank to light them up for arty, getting shot at left and right but just barely too fast to hit, the excitement, heart pounding, maybe a little adrenaline, woohooooooooooo eat it suckas, my arty has a present for youuuuu! :twisted:

Whenever I try that i usually end up eating a 122 mm, or get tracked by a small gun and then pounded to pieces. Sometimes I even get wrecked by arty... /emo

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Whenever I try that i usually end up eating a 122 mm, or get tracked by a small gun and then pounded to pieces. Sometimes I even get wrecked by arty... /emo

Takes a bit of practice and a lot of luck.

Often I'd just sit and wait for a minute or perhaps two for tanks to get into position. Once their main force engaged ours or I knew their rough disposition... it was time to roll out and play hunt the arty and light up anything else I could find.

Of course, people think you're being a useless scout, so just tell them to STFU and that you're following an ElcomeSoft guide :)

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Scouting tactics has changed some since the early days. Used to be Kamikaze runs with a A20 or Leopard were the expected norm. Rush in and light up the map for the arty and tanks and then die quickly. More scout players though are moving in slower and with caution and quietly spy from a safe spot and light up the tanks. Then once the enemy lines thin a bit they move in to find the arty. The kamikaze rush still happens but its used less often these days from what I'm seeing with those small tanks.

I'm seeing a lot more TDs play spotter/scout now too. With their camo they work well on a map with lots of undergrowth to hide in. The T44 and T54 rushes are popular. Especially the T54s. Get a group of them to fly in and watch things get exciting pretty quick. Tactics has changed some since new tanks have come in and some in-game things have changed.

beni9n

Jan 4, 2011
I've always wondered about the view range of a TD. I'm not sure if it's listed in the stats when looking at the vehicle. Something I've always wondered but kept forgetting to do before hopping into my next battle.