[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 46 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
I feel your pain. There are rounds where I can pop 2 or 3 guys, then there's rounds that I'm literally in my tank for < 10 seconds before I'm canned. What irritates me the most is getting 1-shotted by other tanks. Arty I can live with doing that to me. Then there are those players that seem to never miss, no matter what. Somehow I'm thinking there is some sort of hacking going on in the game. Call it a hunch.

I don't know, I kinda prefer to be one-shotted and move on to next battle then be brutally tortured with module damage... For example in a recent battle I was in my IS4 and start rolling out to meet enemies and BOOM, some King Tiger hits me taking out my engine- now I have half engine power moving at a snails pace. Then later a T44 hits me, takes out my loading rack - now I load as fast as artillery. I just wanted to quit. I wish I was blown up instead of bearing the module damage effects

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I don't know, I kinda prefer to be one-shotted and move on to next battle then be brutally tortured with module damage... For example in a recent battle I was in my IS4 and start rolling out to meet enemies and BOOM, some King Tiger hits me taking out my engine- now I have half engine power moving at a snails pace. Then later a T44 hits me, takes out my loading rack - now I load as fast as artillery. I just wanted to quit. I wish I was blown up instead of bearing the module damage effects

Best part is when you use a repair kit to finally fix that stupid module and then an arty hits you and you go up in flames. :D

cecco

Jan 27, 2005
I still enjoy this game quite a bit. I don't log on so much to hurry up and get the next tier, but rather make the most with what I have now. I also just recently discovered the different skins mods, and I like swapping them on occasion. I can totally see myself playing this game for some time even if it's just to do 5-10 tank battles when I have an hour to spare. I think the damage system is done well. I have gotten one shotted a couple of times and I can say that, based on what I was facing, it was well deserved.

PlasmaBomb

Lifer
Nov 19, 2004

You can just hit escape...

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Best part is when you use a repair kit to finally fix that stupid module and then an arty hits you and you go up in flames. :D

Or when you use the repair kit on a track only to find out you can't move because that hit took out both tracks. (Usually happens when I am frantically trying to avoid being raped)

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005

Interesting because I kind of like the module damage. I mean I prefer to make it out uninjured but its kind of enjoyable to me to keep getting hit, keep having shit go offline and keep on trudging on like some juggernaut that no matter what just wont give up.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
I feel your pain. There are rounds where I can pop 2 or 3 guys, then there's rounds that I'm literally in my tank for < 10 seconds before I'm canned. What irritates me the most is getting 1-shotted by other tanks. Arty I can live with doing that to me. Then there are those players that seem to never miss, no matter what. Somehow I'm thinking there is some sort of hacking going on in the game. Call it a hunch.

It wouldnt surprise me one bit if theres hacks of some type out. I mean I've had instances where that bush just right there is shooting at me but I never see anything. I've had instances where that bush waaaay over there tracks me when I'm running full speed perpendicular to it.

Sadly, if theres not hacks right now its probably only a matter of time until there is.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Interesting because I kind of like the module damage. I mean I prefer to make it out uninjured but its kind of enjoyable to me to keep getting hit, keep having shit go offline and keep on trudging on like some juggernaut that no matter what just wont give up.

I guess it's because I'm too damned competitive and tend to bitch and moan when at a disadvantage.

Imagine if this module damage was translated to a popular MMORPG - your character is doings some typical hack n slash pvp with another guy and one of his swipes hits your leg and now you move 50% slower. Then next hit the guy hits your hand and you only take half as many swings as before. But these shots have little to nothing to do with any actual skill in aiming for these hits he just gets lucky.

That would piss me off to no end, just like it pisses me off in WoT. Its too gross of an effect from just pure luck.

I prefer things to be more stable, predictable and calculated.

But I realize its an integral part of the game and many people enjoy it. Its just not my cup of tea.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
But these shots have little to nothing to do with any actual skill in aiming for these hits he just gets lucky.

Hmmm...from what I have seen in game and what I have read on the WoT forums there is a pretty big effect of aiming. You are more likely to achieve certain effects aiming at certain areas of the tank. Aim at and hit the front or rear of a track and you are more likely to track the tank. Aiming at the middle of the track will do more damage to the tank than hitting the front or rear of the track but has less chance of actually tracking the vehicle. Certain spots on tanks have thinner armor and are closer to certain modules - which means those modules are much more likely to be damaged if you aim at and hit that area.

For example: I had a Tiger and I was fighting a Ausf B. Fortunately for me the Ausf B was more interesting in the IS-3 he was fighting than me. I went around behind his turret and aimed at the hatch on the very back of the turret with my HE rounds. I bounced my first shot but the second one damaged his ammo rack. He was slightly below me so I then fired two shots into his engine compartment. The second one destroyed his engine

Of course I was immediately accused of cheaping since my little tiger was able to keep damaging/destroying his modules but it was all because of where I was aiming.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
It wouldnt surprise me one bit if theres hacks of some type out. I mean I've had instances where that bush just right there is shooting at me but I never see anything. I've had instances where that bush waaaay over there tracks me when I'm running full speed perpendicular to it.

Sadly, if theres not hacks right now its probably only a matter of time until there is.

Well I do know that spotting distances vary from tank to tank and also based on the terrain. If that bush over there hit you but you can't see him, that's probably because one of his friends is in spotting range of you and radio range of him.

I'm more talking about going all out at about 40kph, zigzagging, turning and coming in and out of view and still having the other guy's every shot hit you even though you're probably moving faster than his turret can track.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Hmmm...from what I have seen in game and what I have read on the WoT forums there is a pretty big effect of aiming. You are more likely to achieve certain effects aiming at certain areas of the tank.

Yes, this is true - however it's too arbitrary.

I can for example aim at someone tracks 10 times and only track them once. Then someone can fire at my tracks 10 times and track me all ten times.

However it gets more interesting with internal module damage. I can reference multiple instances where I was fired upon from the front of my tank and it ends up destroying my engine. I can see the bullet hole somewhere on my front plate and yet it managed to take my engine out.

Same goes with crew.

It's completely inconsistent. It's far too arbitrary for my tastes. Too much reliance on luck, and that lucky shot against you gives you a significant disadvantage for the rest of the battle.

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, this is true - however it's too arbitrary.

I can for example aim at someone tracks 10 times and only track them once. Then someone can fire at my tracks 10 times and track me all ten times.

However it gets more interesting with internal module damage. I can reference multiple instances where I was fired upon from the front of my tank and it ends up destroying my engine. I can see the bullet hole somewhere on my front plate and yet it managed to take my engine out.

Same goes with crew.

It's completely inconsistent. It's far too arbitrary for my tastes. Too much reliance on luck, and that lucky shot against you gives you a significant disadvantage for the rest of the battle.

That would be over penetration. It went right through your tank and hit the engine.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002

Same goes with crew.

Crew deaths have always been odd to me. I know they are merely flesh and bone compared to steel but they seem much too fragile.

regarding your front shot taking out my engine, I was mentioned that the transmission of German tanks was situated at the front with the engine at the back. A frontal shot could damage the transmission, which was classed as part of the engine, hence engine damage/fires could occur.

I think the patch that increased internal module damage chances with AP rounds from 33% to 50% really put a dent in the game. Whilst it does add a flavour of more real life accuracy to the game, it is detrimental to the 'fun' arcadey aspect of the game.

WoT was designed to be a balanced game, mixing realism with arcadey stuff in such a fashion in that it appealed to those people who liked both in their games.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
when is this game going to be out of beta?

March 24-31 is the latest info according to their newsletter. I'm guessing thats a fixed date now.

Edit: Those that preordered get in earlier. March 8-15 according to the latest newsletter.

Last edited:

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
March 24-31 is the latest info according to their newsletter. I'm guessing thats a fixed date now.

Edit: Those that preordered get in earlier. March 8-15 according to the latest newsletter.

Did they say where to pre-order?

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Did they say where to pre-order?

I never did find a link where to preorder. I been wondering myself how to go about it. Its weird you'd think they'd have it plastered all over their website pages but this company does things differently than most western companies. If I come across the info I'll post it.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
I'm curious... why would there be a pre-order? It's a F2P game!

Perhaps for those people who like to have a DVD version or that have bandwidth caps which would restrict them or prevent them from downloading WoT.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I upgraded the gun and tracks on my IS-3 and - wow - what a tank. I don't even have my upgraded engine yet but it is probably my favorite tank to play so far. The Tiger II was fun but the IS-3 seems better in almost every way. I can only imagine the IS-4 is even better (The Ausf B sucks - at least to me)

cecco

Jan 27, 2005
I've got to admit, I'm pretty disappointed in the lack of advertising. You'd think they would announce pre-order and live dates with a bit more enthusiasm. I've rediscovered my MS-1 right now, upgraded everything, mounted a 20mm TNSh with premium ammo and started puttering around peppering everyone. Got my first Top Gun award in it. It's so much fun to just casually log in for some destruction.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Has this launched yet? I need to badger someone if it has.

No, its still in open beta. Later this month is release. Unless they delay it again.

Edit: Now new rumor is that release is April. No confirmation yet.

Posted by Overlord:

Update 3

The release date may be pushed back so as to launch under v.0.6.4.

Preliminary patch notes of major v.0.6.4 update:

* New vehicles:
- 3 tier 8 SPGs: Object 261, Geschutzwagen-E, T92.
- 2 premium tanks: Lowe and KV-5.
- 2 tanks from full trees: Pz38 NA, KV-13.
* Maps:
- 2 brand new maps.
- Completely redesigned Pagorki map.
- Reworked Komarin map.
* New movement system that is supposed to remove 70-80&#37; of stuck cases.
* Fixed hit boxes for serveral tanks (Maus, Jagdpanther, IS-7).
* [Possibly] Reworked gun mantlets for Tiger II, VK4502, Ferdinand, Jagdtiger.
* Added gold transfers between players.
* Reworked detracking system. See new detracking mechanics section.
* [Possibly] Reworked special graphic effects that is supposed to fix multiple fps drops.
* Reworked the mechanics of credit and gold repair kits, fire extinguishers, first aid kits.
* Added advanced settings for voice chat and reworked some interfaces.
* Added mute player function for voice chat.
* Added individual adjustments of match-making value for each tank. Tanks of the same tier and type can be assigned with different values.
* [Possibly] Added battle tiers for company mode with limitations on max vehicle tier and/or overall tier of the company.
* [Possibly] Fixed serveral cases of memory leak.
* Reworked outlines of bases to reflect the actual radius more accurately.

Last edited: