[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 39 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Yesterday I got the Tiger 1 finally. Currently its upgraded to improved tracks, second engine, and the short 88mm gun. In its current state its a hard tank to play. Its slower then the vk3601 and the short 88 gun is no better. It does have more HPs though. The problem is that its often thrown in with tier 9 and 10 tanks. The short 88 doesnt do much damage to them if any and the armor doesnt stand up to the guns of the larger tanks. Also to frustrate things is that the tank is prone to massive module damage. The gun is often damaged and fires are common. I can see why people often complain about the Tiger tank. Right now it reminds me of the IS tank which I didn't like and sold off once I got the IS3. So far this tiger is more like a neutered house cat. I'm told once I get the better turret and the long 88mm gun things get much better so we'll see. I'll with hold final judgment till then.

Tiger is borderline unplayable without the long 88 and even then the damage sucks vs T7+. I love my fully upgraded Tiger though, even with the shortfalls. It's all about sniping and supporting the other heavies, alone you are meat and will get picked apart by T5/6 because they will always penetrate you and often do module damage.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
I've been grinding along in my SU85 and SU100 trying too jump over the SU152 to the ISU version. I have about 8k of xp to go, so hopefully by the weekend I'll be a little more evenly balanced with the tiers I've been getting stuck in.

In my opinion, bad idea.

The SU-152 is an amazing TD with the stock cannon and to reach the BL-10 which is the pinnacle of TD'y goodness, you need to research both 122mm's on the SU-152 or ISU-152.

I still have my SU-152 Elite around for money making and exp grinding.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Tiger is borderline unplayable without the long 88 and even then the damage sucks vs T7+. I love my fully upgraded Tiger though, even with the shortfalls. It's all about sniping and supporting the other heavies, alone you are meat and will get picked apart by T5/6 because they will always penetrate you and often do module damage.

Got the new turret. No improvement. I was hoping the constant gun being knocked out and gunner being killed would let up but no such luck. Havent gotten long 88mm gun yet. So far I'm still very upset with the tiger's performance. Sorry about the ranting in ATOT chat guys. Just extremely frustrated with this tank. My apologies.

Fatdog

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2000
In my opinion, bad idea.

The SU-152 is an amazing TD with the stock cannon and to reach the BL-10 which is the pinnacle of TD'y goodness, you need to research both 122mm's on the SU-152 or ISU-152.

I still have my SU-152 Elite around for money making and exp grinding.

Hmm...maybe I'll go ahead and go the SU152 route then. I had read in several threads on the WOT forum it's a disappointment to fight with between the SU100 and ISU152 level so I was going to jump over it.

Fatdog

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2000
.......... Sorry about the ranting in ATOT chat guys. Just extremely frustrated with this tank. My apologies.

I'm guilty of that too. I was venting a little the other night on chat about the other players rushing off to die, fight after fight, like it was unreal tournament. Had about 6 battles in a row with the same results.Took my SU100 winning percentage from 58% down to 53%.

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
Found out two days ago that the ventilation system add-on stacks a bonus past 100%. I now have this on my Ferdinand and see an immediate improvement in my tank. Now all of my crew are operating at 115% efficiency and the commander at 105%.

Highly recommended!

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Found out two days ago that the ventilation system add-on stacks a bonus past 100%. I now have this on my Ferdinand and see an immediate improvement in my tank. Now all of my crew are operating at 115% efficiency and the commander at 105%.

Highly recommended!

Crew will be operating at 116% unless they changed it in the last set of patches.

The commander adds 1% to the crew skill for every 10% of his skill rounded up so his extra 5% gives the crew another 1% skill.

PlasmaBomb

Lifer
Nov 19, 2004

Highly recommended!

That would be 116% for the crew, the Commander being 105% rounds up to +11% for the rest :)

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Currently rocking a P3 and a STUG, but my battles with the stug are such a hit or miss. Half of the games I'm in battles with IS-3s and KTs where I can't even scratch them. How do you guys manage the fights with those tanks?

Also which gun is better for the p3? the 7.5cm or the 5 cm? Find myself pinging a lot with the 5cm and wondering if I should just load up HE shells on the 7.5 cm like the stug.

Fatdog

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2000
Currently rocking a P3 and a STUG, but my battles with the stug are such a hit or miss. Half of the games I'm in battles with IS-3s and KTs where I can't even scratch them. How do you guys manage the fights with those tanks?

I've only played the Russian TD line and more often than not I'm at the bottom of the line up. My SU100 usually ends up matched with IS7's and Maus's.

If I feel like attacking I usually look for a group of 2-3 big heavys heading out and tag along a little behind them. When they encounter opposition I snipe away while they do the real damage. I try to hit many different tanks rather than focus on one at first. Gives better xp that way.

When I defend I try to hook up with another td in a good spot and wait for the other team to show.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002

Also which gun is better for the p3? the 7.5cm or the 5 cm? Find myself pinging a lot with the 5cm and wondering if I should just load up HE shells on the 7.5 cm like the stug.

For the StuG III, I preferred the 7.5cm with AP. Can penetrate most tier 7's and 8's (Heavies) from the side. BUT the 10.5cm with HE (never AP) is never a bad choice.

Except in rare instances, I will always carry a compliment of ~75% AP, 25% HE ammo.

sushicide

Nov 7, 2001
I'm the worst T-54 driver, ever....at least I'm doing my part to dispel the common belief that it is overpowered. :p

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Hmm...maybe I'll go ahead and go the SU152 route then. I had read in several threads on the WOT forum it's a disappointment to fight with between the SU100 and ISU152 level so I was going to jump over it.

It's just vastly different than your SU100 but it will prep you for the ISU. It's very slow compared to the SU100 even when fully upgraded and with the stock 152mm you have to be very choosy when picking targets due to the painful reload. I alternate between the stock 152mm and the second 122mm. The latter is I believe the highest or close to the highest DPS gun in the game due to the very fast reload, penetration is the same as the 122mm on the SU100 though, ~175. Shells are $1600 a piece for AP though so it's difficult to make money with but fun the use. You won't be oneshotting T6's like with the 152mm but hitting a Tiger for ~50% and firing again 5.xx seconds later is verrry nice.The first 122 is useless, don't spend money on it.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
For the StuG III, I preferred the 7.5cm with AP. Can penetrate most tier 7's and 8's (Heavies) from the side. BUT the 10.5cm with HE (never AP) is never a bad choice.

Except in rare instances, I will always carry a compliment of ~75% AP, 25% HE ammo.

I've been using the 10.5 with HE, but getting placed in games with is-3 and Is-4s doesn't give me a very good fighting chance as soon as I show myself. I'll try the 7.5 and snipe a bit today, but usually my matchups are with IS-3s other heavies...

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
After running my tiger with the long 88mm gun now for last couple of days I can now say that things finally got better. I haven't had one gun damaged problem in the fights. I guess the short 88mm gun has a high probability of being damaged whereas the long 88mm does not. Thank the gods! The tank still suffers from other module damage but that seems to be a problem many people are having after the last patch that increased it for all tanks.

With the long 88mm gun now I'm able to do more damage to other tanks that are higher tier to me. Less bouncing of the shots and better penetration. The tank is much more enjoyable now. I'd say if you want to play a tiger my advice is to make sure you have enough xp and creds to buy it and be able to upgrade everything up to and the long 88mm gun before doing so. It will make your play time more enjoyable. Otherwise you are in for a frustrating grind up.

Also I got the T34/85. I equpped the offered 122mm gun, which is the same 122mm gun offered for the KV, from the start and I'm having fun with that. The 122mm gun at close to medium range does some serious damage to other tanks both small and large. People are asking me in game what gun I'm using because they see the damage it does. I one shotted a tiger with it in one battle and that surprised me. I probably blew up all his modules and ammo rack because he went up in a big ball of fire and twisted steel. 100% to zero just like that. And when the scouts like the Leopard and A20 come rushing in to base I take them out with just one shot. The 122mm gun kicks that hard.

The 122mm gun is not good for sniping or long ranges however. It misses when trying to shoot at longer ranges and even when the tank is on the move. Its accuracy is just not that great. You really need to stop before firing unless extremely close to the enemy and even then it sometimes shoots high or wide and you need to be at medium range or closer. Preferably up close.

My favorite tactic is to run up onto the rear end of a enemy tank when he isn't looking and giving him a mighty blast of the 122mm gun and its HE shell which by the way is the only shell you have other than a gold HE shell. It has no AP rounds. As I did to the tiger in that one fight. KABOOM! Watch the enemy feel thy wrath! Some players I've noticed see the snub nose of the gun on the T34/85 and don't realize its not the 57mm gun like on the T34. They then tend to ignore me as a threat. Last night in one fight two tanks ignored me, just drove on by, thinking I wouldnt do them much damage I guess as they came into the base. Three shots later from my 122mm gun and both were dead. I may not bother to put the 100mm gun on it when I get it unlocked I'm having so much fun with the 122mm gun.

Well, thats the latest from me and what I been up to in WoT.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Bought my Tiger II yesterday. Only got around 5 matches in due to being exhausted from grinding but I'm not real impressed so far. Lost my gun in every match and deflected far fewer shots than I expected. Stock turret really is made of paper, so looks like I'm going with tracks and turret upgrade before the 10.5cm gun. I kept my Tiger and it's now elite so grinding through those shouldn't be too bad.

Not really playing my 3002DB much except for double XP. It's just not as fun to play as either my Tiger or my SU's so it gathers a lot of dust. Have everything except the the engine.

About 20K XP away from the ISU152 but it'll be a long time before I can afford it.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Not really playing my 3002DB much except for double XP. It's just not as fun to play as either my Tiger or my SU's so it gathers a lot of dust. Have everything except the the engine.

Same here. Not a huge fan

Just out of curiosity what are the most hits you have survived? I don't have any Tier 8+ heavies but I just survived 24 hits in my KV-3

Having played mostly medium and the Tiger I don't think I have ever come any where close. It certainly wasn't doing my blood pressure any good

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
Just out of curiosity what are the most hits you have survived? I don't have any Tier 8+ heavies but I just survived 24 hits in my KV-3

In one of the first games I played in my KV there was a guy in a little tier 2 TD (apparently lacking an upgraded gun) who kept plinking at me from halfway across the map. I think I took about 38 hits that round, lol.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Latest news/rumors from Overlord on the forums is that the game in EU and USA goes live February 2011. EU servers should be up and running by end of next week and there will be *no* upcoming soft wipe now. Sounds like its a hardwipe. Meaning game goes live and everyone starts at the very beginning. No word on how much premium pricing will be but the Russians are paying $10 for premium. So draw your own conclusions. Overlord said an official notice to be put on web next newsletter. I dont get their newsletters so not sure how often they come out. Sounds like they still not firm on some things. I kinda glanced through the 15 page and growing thread for things he said.

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/25500-guess-the-soft-wipe-is-cancelled/

Edit: I'm undecided if I'll play upon release. It depends on how much they fix before launch and pricing. I'd never play this game without premium. I've done that and its horribly painful and slow to level up to next tier tanks. And dont even get me started on game/tier balance. LOL

Edit2: Oh, and he said EU and USA servers population will be increased to 90,000. Which is more than the Russian servers allow.

Last edited:

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Skott - newsletters are weekly and have their own section on the forum.

They aren't the normal emailed type.

Number of hits? Pre-patch.

shot_007.jpg

Last edited:

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
Latest news/rumors from Overlord on the forums is that the game in EU and USA goes live February 2011. EU servers should be up and running by end of next week and there will be *no* upcoming soft wipe now. Sounds like its a hardwipe. Meaning game goes live and everyone starts at the very beginning. No word on how much premium pricing will be but the Russians are paying $10 for premium. So draw your own conclusions. Overlord said an official notice to be put on web next newsletter. I dont get their newsletters so not sure how often they come out. Sounds like they still not firm on some things. I kinda glanced through the 15 page and growing thread for things he said.

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/25500-guess-the-soft-wipe-is-cancelled/

Do you know if the $10 per month includes any kind of gold allowance? Or do you have to pay additional for it?

Edit: Dead link for me.

Edit: I'm undecided if I'll play upon release. It depends on how much they fix before launch and pricing. I'd never play this game without premium. I've done that and its horribly painful and slow to level up to next tier tanks. And dont even get me started on game/tier balance. LOL
As it stands right now I doubt I'll play on release. The game is just too painful to play without premium, and I don't really think it's worth paying for yet.

Last edited:

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Merad:

It is my understanding that roughly $10 will purchase 2,500 gold or the equivalent of 30 days premium.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
My max is probably 15-16 hits survived in my Tiger, 61....that's a fluke good grief. If I were facing you in that match ES, I would quit the game for good and probably have to be rushed to the ER for high blood pressure. I think I managed a Steel Wall in my SU152 the other day, with around 12 shots or so.

I've been 2 shotted 3 times in my Tiger II in less than 15 matches. Apparently auto-aim centers in on the turret according to the forums, ohh happy day. Got the tracks yesterday and hopefully will get the turret today or tomorrow.

Sad to hear about the softwipe, would have made some different choices if that was a no-go. But it's good that a release date is approaching. Not sure if I'll play when it goes live.

The visibility issues are so deeply entrenched in players minds now that it's a pretty rare thing to find any aggressiveness. Had far more matches in Campinovka than usual lately and people are just scared to death to do anything. Can't climb the hill because of their magical forest, can't rush right just...because. It's insane. I don't mind dying, I'm not careless but I like taking the fight to the enemy. Far too often I find myself cut off or completely alone because my teammates want to camp the base, all go in one direction, or spend 2 minutes jerking off at base waiting to see what others are doing all the while surrendering ground and the best positions to the enemy. As a heavy my job is to draw fire while my "backup" helps me take them down. Too often there's 5 or 6 of my teammates all jammed up afraid to come around the corner while I'm taking fire vs 3+ enemies and they won't come out, or end up shooting me in the ass with their careless aiming. Whenever you announce your intentions a bunch of people will announce that they're on "defense". Which means picking the bush closest to them right in or just outside your base.

If you're T6 and above, you should know everything about every map backwards and forwards, you've played them all dozens and dozens of times at least. You should also know where the flashpoints are generally going to be and where the key to victory will lie. That's what kills me about the indecisiveness and general cowardice on display, especially from higher level players.

Alright enough ranting, been a rough few days for me in-game.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
I've been getting frustrated by the same thing lately. The visibility system is one of the biggest issues in the game IMO... it's so ridiculous on some maps that you basically know the first person to push into a certain area will die, you just hope that they can spot one or two of the half dozen people shooting them before they pop. The high repair costs (even with premium) on Tier 7+ don't help either. I've literally had 4 or 5 Tier 9-10 games in a row where the entire team except for me and a few medium tanks goes to the back of the map behind our base and sits there.