[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 38 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Just got the T34 tank. Had enough to equip better tracks, better engine, and the 57mm gun. Didnt have enough to get better turret. That will be next on my list to get. I really disliked the A20 tank. Sure its fast on a straight run but it was slow to turn, gun was mediocre, and had light armor. The Leopard tank or the PzIII are better for scouting I think. They are more durable too. The Leo has a nice low profile and turns much better. Superior to the A20 in everything except top speed but running straight lines are dangerous in this game so being a a little slower on top speed is not really missed IMHO. Glad to graduate up to the T34 finally. Now i get to see how Russian mediums handle.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
I have decided to take an enforced break away from World of Tanks. I am still loving it, having picked up my T-44 and my ISU-152, only needing the engine (and radio) on both before I can grind for the T-54/Object 704.

My health is not too great and my concentration is such that I am not able to focus during a 15 minute max match to draw the usual enjoyment out of World of Tanks. I don't want to burn out on it.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I have decided to take an enforced break away from World of Tanks. I am still loving it, having picked up my T-44 and my ISU-152, only needing the engine (and radio) on both before I can grind for the T-54/Object 704.

My health is not too great and my concentration is such that I am not able to focus during a 15 minute max match to draw the usual enjoyment out of World of Tanks. I don't want to burn out on it.

I hear ya dude. I been playing other games last few days. Pulled back some on WoT. There are times when play is just sucky due to team members acting like total idiots. I still enjoy the game though.

Anyway, take some time off for yourself and family. Get out and smell the fresh air. Real life is far more important and too short to do nothing but play on the PC all your free time. Take care and have some fun. :)

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006

Hope you get better!

I just want to note that the gun upgrade on the Tiger to the 8.8 45 L71 makes a world of difference! The Tiger was ok before but now I really really enjoy playing it

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
So am I wrong in asserting that hitting someone in the ammo hatch is more likely to hit the ammo rack? I tried to explain to an Ausf B that the 2 ammo rack hits on him I scored were because he had his turret pointed away from me (battling an IS-4) and I kept blasting away at his hatch but he kept calling me a lucky idiot (Still love the last gun on the Tiger btw)

Nox51

Jul 4, 2009
Get well soon Elcs!

There are mostly German and Russian tanks because they were the main ones of the WW2 era. They have quite a few of the American ones and planning to add more in the future. But really the German and Russian tanks should be the most featured.

And I finally got my is, about time too! love the extra health and being nimbler than the kv3 but kinda miss the zis gun from the kv3. Can't wait to upgrade the engine and the gun but damn it's going to be a long grind.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
And I finally got my is, about time too! love the extra health and being nimbler than the kv3 but kinda miss the zis gun from the kv3. Can't wait to upgrade the engine and the gun but damn it's going to be a long grind.

If you haven't already unlocked the first 122mm gun with the KV-3, I'd unlock it there. Then you only need to get a turret upgrade on the IS to mount it. I'd also invest in a rammer for the IS ASAP. Reload times on the 122s are agonizingly slow.

Nox51

Jul 4, 2009
If you haven't already unlocked the first 122mm gun with the KV-3, I'd unlock it there. Then you only need to get a turret upgrade on the IS to mount it. I'd also invest in a rammer for the IS ASAP. Reload times on the 122s are agonizingly slow.

i unlocked the 100mm d10t on the kv3 and will unlock the 122 on that as well. This would allow me to concentrate on the suspension and the engine. I really want that engine, should help a lot in moving the is.

Yea def eyeing up that rammer, I seem to have amassed a fair surplus of gold, don't really know how.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
i unlocked the 100mm d10t on the kv3 and will unlock the 122 on that as well. This would allow me to concentrate on the suspension and the engine. I really want that engine, should help a lot in moving the is.

The engine actually doesn't make a huge difference - the IS is very fast & maneuverable even on the stock tracks & engine. I would go for the fully upgrade 122mm gun first. While it has basically the same damage and pen as the 122mm you can unlock on the KV-3, it reloads about 3 seconds faster, which is a huge difference.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I actually like the KV3 over the IS. The IS is a good deal faster but its not as rugged in my opinion. I sold my IS when I got the IS3 but I have kept my KV3. Its a better money earner. I just didnt like the IS all that much. Died so damn much in it. Of course that was before the American tanks got a nerf. My advice is to get the 122 quick as possible and put a rammer on that tank first chance. It does make a difference.

Nox51

Jul 4, 2009
fully noted then.

From some limited play tho, I think that there's a bit better matchup from the matchmaking in terms of the IS. But this is a pure first impression and needs a bit more play time. For the KV-3 I often found myself wish the whole thing would move that extra bit faster!

Also I am particularly intrigued by the fact that the IS has less armor that the KV-3. Would have liked to keep it the same and have the same speed characteristics

Oh and I moved the crew from my KV to the IS. 90% and some extra skills, rather nice.

Last edited:

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

I'd stay away from the 122 mm gun and just stick with the stock 85? mm gun. 14 shots per minute vs 4-6 with the 122. I've died a lot more with the "new" gun due to slow reload times than I did with the stock one with its ability to fire quickly and disable tracks and then sweep around the back and blast the rear of enemy tanks. Not going to do that with the large slow gun.

Then just keep your cash and get to the IS3 soon enough. its only like 81k exp. lol

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
107mm on the kv3 and 100mm d10t on the IS only way to roll imo pretty sure the d10t has higher sustained damage or just near the 122mm similar penetration, and is more forgiving since it reloads faster

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
I'd stay away from the 122 mm gun and just stick with the stock 85? mm gun. 14 shots per minute vs 4-6 with the 122. I've died a lot more with the "new" gun due to slow reload times than I did with the stock one with its ability to fire quickly and disable tracks and then sweep around the back and blast the rear of enemy tanks. Not going to do that with the large slow gun.

I disagree. In theory sure you can do as much damage with the 85mm as with the 122. In reality, that 85mm has about 30% less pen than the 122... so you're going to bounce that many more shots. Rolling in the IS is going to routinely put you up against IS-3s, KT's, etc... VK4502s and IS-4's aren't unusual, and IS-7/Maus opponents pop up occasionally. The 85mm pop gun just doesn't cut it against those guys (and honestly it's barely adequate against any other heavy tank).

As I've gone through in my previous posts about the IS... it plays differently than anything that comes before it. You have to learn to play it. And you may as well get used to the big slow-ass guns, you'll be using them in everything after the IS.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
The 122mm is what you want to use on the IS, once you get used to it it's not bad at all. Otherwise you are bringing a knife to a gunfight and will not do anything against T7+.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I don't fight a lot of T7's and besides, even with the 122, the T7 will 2 shot me into oblivion. I am just not a fan of the slow ass gun.

HarvardAce

Mar 3, 2005
I don't fight a lot of T7's and besides, even with the 122, the T7 will 2 shot me into oblivion. I am just not a fan of the slow ass gun.

T7 = tier 7 = IS, Tiger, JagdPanther, etc...not the IS-7.

In general, the higher-alpha slower guns are better, because you can pop out from behind cover, take a shot, and pop back into cover. If you have a lighter gun that shoots more frequently, you have to pop out of cover more often, leaving yourself open to more attacks.

If your play style is more "run crazy out in the open" then I suppose that a lighter gun is better, but then you should be playing medium tanks, not heavies, because you'll get destroyed by any competent enemies in a heavy playing like that regardless of the gun you use.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Then like HarvardAce said, you should probably be looking at the medium line. Things only get bigger and slower from the IS on.

You're probably right, both of you. I just bought the rammer for my IS and its a lot faster, but still slow. I might just stick with the medium line.

badnewcastle

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2004

Hope you get better soon. I have a self-educed break starting tomorrow. It's Ski season and will be spending many a weekends and weeks in the mountains. Also on my grind to the JT and T54, only 45k xp from the T54.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Yesterday I got the Tiger 1 finally. Currently its upgraded to improved tracks, second engine, and the short 88mm gun. In its current state its a hard tank to play. Its slower then the vk3601 and the short 88 gun is no better. It does have more HPs though. The problem is that its often thrown in with tier 9 and 10 tanks. The short 88 doesnt do much damage to them if any and the armor doesnt stand up to the guns of the larger tanks. Also to frustrate things is that the tank is prone to massive module damage. The gun is often damaged and fires are common. I can see why people often complain about the Tiger tank. Right now it reminds me of the IS tank which I didn't like and sold off once I got the IS3. So far this tiger is more like a neutered house cat. I'm told once I get the better turret and the long 88mm gun things get much better so we'll see. I'll with hold final judgment till then.

Fatdog

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2000
I've been grinding along in my SU85 and SU100 trying too jump over the SU152 to the ISU version. I have about 8k of xp to go, so hopefully by the weekend I'll be a little more evenly balanced with the tiers I've been getting stuck in.

On another note, are you guys finding you're fighting on the same maps time after time? Since the wipe I've only been on the new maps twice for each and I can't remember the last time I was on sand river or himmeldorf (sp?). Last night I was on Lakeville 5 times in a row.

HarvardAce

Mar 3, 2005
On another note, are you guys finding you're fighting on the same maps time after time? Since the wipe I've only been on the new maps twice for each and I can't remember the last time I was on sand river or himmeldorf (sp?). Last night I was on Lakeville 5 times in a row.

Yes. The only time I've played on the new town map has been on my Arty. I also find that I play the same map back to back quite often.

That said, I'm sure if I did a statistical analysis on it, I'd find out that with the small sample size I'm well within expected ranges for a truly random solution.