[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 37 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PlasmaBomb

Lifer
Nov 19, 2004
Looking through the post- looks like it could be 18:00 GMT before they finish...

but it looks like the server is up already.

yuppiejr

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2002
So 2 PM CST eh, guess I should go find a Christmas gift for my wife a day earlier than normal. :)

Still no patch download link... boo.

PlasmaBomb

Lifer
Nov 19, 2004
Yeah... I would have thought that they could have provided the link or even torrent earlier, then people could have got started...

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Combining 4 patches into one is not an easy task plus it has been said that their patcher has been improved greatly so they aren't doing the seperate thing.

35 minutes until 'the end' and my client has downloaded a mini-update. Looks like they sorted the localisation and we're awaiting the patching.

PlasmaBomb

Lifer
Nov 19, 2004
Got the mini update... and that's all.

It's now 6pm.

I would have thought that they would have had all the files ready to go?

PlasmaBomb

Lifer
Nov 19, 2004
Just thought that I would post this awesome comic in the mean time...

wotcomic_colour.png

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Thanks for the info. Downloading the patch as I type. Funny comic too btw.

Its slooooooooow going. <goes back to snooze in front of the tv>

Last edited:

sushicide

Nov 7, 2001
Another arty nerf.....

Y'know, as much as I hate getting one shotted or having half of my modules/crew taken out from a HE splash, this is getting ridiculous! They should just scrape the whole point-n'-click UAV guided ICBM bullcrap mechanics altogether and come up with something else.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Another arty nerf.....

Y'know, as much as I hate getting one shotted or having half of my modules/crew taken out from a HE splash, this is getting ridiculous! They should just scrape the whole point-n'-click UAV guided ICBM bullcrap mechanics altogether and come up with something else.

They have to nerf artillery otherwise the new Tier 6/7 artillery would be seriously overpowered and hellsihly scary like a Bus is. I believe the Tier 7 artillery will be as powerful as the Bus is currently (effectively shifting each artillery down by one tier)

HE damage to modules is also changing significantly to reduce the damage that HE does to internal modules. AP will also be much more effective at damaging internal modules. Crew injuries/deaths are unaffected by this change.

Patch news

13 minutes - 15%
15 minutes - 22%

PlasmaBomb

Lifer
Nov 19, 2004
I'm at 22&#37; but am going to have to go out to deliver presents... see you later (or tomorrow)!

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
At the risk of sounding hysterical, the new patch has pretty much wrecked the game for me. And I mean wrecked to the point where I'm likely going to give it up. I had fun, but now it's time to move on. I've tried to resist the 'The designers are Russian so that's why the Russian tanks are OP' cry. But the latest patch, introducing a Russian medium tank that entered service in 1950, has wrecked the balance of the game and made all my hard work earning a Ferdinand utterly pointless. This is a medium tank with a top speed of 56 km/h with more armor than a Ferd, more HP than a Ferd, better slope and a comparable gun. In a word, it's simply absurd. You might as well take a Ferd's armor and gun and give it a Leopard's performance.

Top it all off, they increased the armor of all medium tanks across the board. And they increased the loading time of my gun. My only hope is to get into a game where I'm the top dog. But I can't go anywhere near the frontline any longer. Medium tanks that I could hit hard enough to make them stay away can now just rush in under me. Very frustrating.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
At the risk of sounding hysterical, the new patch has pretty much wrecked the game for me. And I mean wrecked to the point where I'm likely going to give it up. I had fun, but now it's time to move on. I've tried to resist the 'The designers are Russian so that's why the Russian tanks are OP' cry. But the latest patch, introducing a Russian medium tank that entered service in 1950, has wrecked the balance of the game and made all my hard work earning a Ferdinand utterly pointless. This is a medium tank with a top speed of 56 km/h with more armor than a Ferd, more HP than a Ferd, better slope and a comparable gun. In a word, it's simply absurd. You might as well take a Ferd's armor and gun and give it a Leopard's performance.

Top it all off, they increased the armor of all medium tanks across the board. And they increased the loading time of my gun. My only hope is to get into a game where I'm the top dog. But I can't go anywhere near the frontline any longer. Medium tanks that I could hit hard enough to make them stay away can now just rush in under me. Very frustrating.

The T-54 is quite a brute. They knew that certain tanks were OP from their time on the Russian Test Server (confirmed by certain sources which I cannot reveal as they may be hunted down by the KGB).

Regarding armour, the in-game stats suggest that the Ferdinand still wins that match up, however as an example the Object 704 has 300mm armour as listed on the stats page but that is only the gun mantle, a relatively small part of the tank. I'm not familiar enough with the armour layours of the T-54 or Ferdinand to comment.

As for the gun, the 12.8cm blows the best T-54 100mm out of the water and the T-54 player would need to spend quite a lot more experience to reach that pinnacle than a Ferdinand player. IMO they did give the new mediums a gun beyond their status, the Panther II's best gun being a rough equivilent for the BL-9s, the second best ISU-152 gun.

I do not believe that Medium tank armour was increased, only the HP (which was increased by 150 on a Tier 7 tank, T-43).

The not being able to scare away medium tanks thing will probably go away soon, I hope. Not even my BL-10, heralded as possibly the best endgame gun in the game does not seem to scare them too much.

The saving grace is that the T-54 is like all of it's Russian predecessors, the T-34-85, T-43 and T-44, ammo stowage is in the turret which makes a turret penetration or HE shot to the turret reasonably likely to damage it or outright blow it up.

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
The T-54 is quite a brute. They knew that certain tanks were OP from their time on the Russian Test Server (confirmed by certain sources which I cannot reveal as they may be hunted down by the KGB).

Regarding armour, the in-game stats suggest that the Ferdinand still wins that match up, however as an example the Object 704 has 300mm armour as listed on the stats page but that is only the gun mantle, a relatively small part of the tank. I'm not familiar enough with the armour layours of the T-54 or Ferdinand to comment.

As for the gun, the 12.8cm blows the best T-54 100mm out of the water and the T-54 player would need to spend quite a lot more experience to reach that pinnacle than a Ferdinand player. IMO they did give the new mediums a gun beyond their status, the Panther II's best gun being a rough equivilent for the BL-9s, the second best ISU-152 gun.

I do not believe that Medium tank armour was increased, only the HP (which was increased by 150 on a Tier 7 tank, T-43).

The not being able to scare away medium tanks thing will probably go away soon, I hope. Not even my BL-10, heralded as possibly the best endgame gun in the game does not seem to scare them too much.

The saving grace is that the T-54 is like all of it's Russian predecessors, the T-34-85, T-43 and T-44, ammo stowage is in the turret which makes a turret penetration or HE shot to the turret reasonably likely to damage it or outright blow it up.

There's paper and then there's the game. I have gone head to head with T-54s with the 12.8 and shots just bounce off the armor. No penetration at all. The turret is pretty much invulnerable. The 100mm will penetrate me every single time. Going toe to toe with one, I got one penetration for 25%. He got 3 shots all penetrating that destroyed me.

And this was a slugging match. He could have simply driven around to my side and killed me without me being able to hit him at all.

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
I finally got my IS-4 and its pretty awesome, I wish I had it before the medium buff though

Revamped mediums are just sick, such high damage rate.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Server went down ~20 minutes early for maintenance. Should be up in approximately 5 hours and 10 minutes from this post or 2pm UTC.

Last night I picked up my T-44... and even at near stock (2nd 85mm) it's a huge upgrade from the T-43 (just 1 match).

Second match, loaded it with the new suspension, transferred over my 100&#37; crew from the T-43 with gold and they're all around 90%+ repair skill. Added a Shell Rammer and the Vertical Stabiliser.

I typically sit back and let the map unfold in front of me. Much like a General surveying the battlefield, I see the disposition of the enemy forces and relocate to where I will be most effective.

In Prohorvka? (desert map with rails), I went with an ISU-152 and JagdTiger through the bushes to just before half way, before cutting in behind the village, flanking 4 enemy heavies who were playing catch the shell with my 2 Platoon mates in Ferdinands and several other friendlies. The heavies obviously had a WTF?!? moment and just melted down. I bounced all of my shots (144mm penetration whilst running as fast as humanly possible) but caused them to turn to engage me whilst the Ferdis rolled up and rolled over them. A chain tracking incident (even after repair kit) spoiled my run but I still walked out with a lot of exp.

Roll on my turret so I get my 100mm D10T back.. even if it is the gun from hell.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005

I've sort of just given up on all of that. In my Tiger, I know there's a pretty good chance I'm going to lose in a 1v1 vs any T7+ Russian tank. I still have fun, I just know the odds are not in my favor.

The T-54 is sort of a joke tank given that it outclasses the Panther II by a considerable amount, it'll be nerfed, but will still outmatch the Panther after the next patch or two and so it goes on and on.

Even knowing all of this, I'm still not going Russian Heavy/Medium after the wipe, I'm having too much fun with the German lines. I'll go US and German instead, just to be different.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
The other night I started on the Russian medium line. I was gonna wait for the wipe but figured what the hell. Too many tanks I want to try and so little time. <g>