[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 34 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
OK, each tier/type of tank (vertical axis, such as a tier 5 heavy (i.e. KV, T1 Heavy)) is listed. For every colored bar on that row, those are the different "combat levels" (I like to call it "rank") of matchmaking you may be put into. Each column is a different rank, and indicates what tiers/types of tanks can be found in that rank.

It's a bit confusing, but the easiest way to read it is to find the row for the tank you want to investigate. Figure out the range of ranks you may play in, and then see what other tanks are included in each of those ranks. The one you're probably most interested in is the max rank.

To better illustrate, let's take the example of the KV, a tier 5 heavy tank. A tier 5 heavy tank can be in ranks 4, 5, 6, or 7. In a rank 4 match, you will go up against any Tier 3 or 4 tank, and any Tier 5 non-artillery tank. However, you could also get placed in a rank 7 match, which would include Tier 4 light/artillery and any tanks from tier 5 to tier 9. However, in that rank 7 match you won't also see a tier 3 tank.

If instead you are in a rank 6 match, you could see a tier 3 arty, any tier 4 vehicle except a heavy (are there tier 4 heavies???), any tier 5 tank, and any non-arty tier 6, 7, or 8 tank.

Edit: Note that the colors in the grid are just used to distinguish the type of tank but don't indicate anything else. The bottom section seems to be for tanks that have exceptions to the rule. For example, the Bison_1 is a tier 2 SPG, but instead of being limited to rank 2 and 3 matches it can be found in anything up to rank 5.

I also found it interesting that they didn't include Tier 9 mediums -- aren't they releasing those in this patch as well?

Thanks for that explanation - I think I understand now. So the separate table on the bottom are exceptions? Like the Bison even though its a T2 SPG it can end up in as high as a "rank 5" battle?

what is it about Bison that makes it exceptional?

HarvardAce

Mar 3, 2005
Thanks for that explanation - I think I understand now. So the separate table on the bottom are exceptions? Like the Bison even though its a T2 SPG it can end up in as high as a "rank 5" battle?

what is it about Bison that makes it exceptional?

That's my understanding of it. As for the Bison specifically, I'm not really sure. I always laugh when I see them in my games with a few Tiger/IS tanks, although I've never seen one as the only artillery on the team in that case.

I wonder if they revised the matchmaking to even out TDs. I know that Arty is usually balanced (if one team has an additional arty they always have an extra lower-tier arty it seems), but I'll often see matches where one side has 6 or 7 TDs and the other side has none, so it seems to treat a TD just like any other tank. Never really paid attention to the heavy/medium/light balance, but the TD one pops out because they have a different color in the team list.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
GRR, I'm playing and doing well, had a kill and half life.. i'm creeping up on an enemy tank and my wife decides to come into the room and give me a hug and move my chair around and well, basically i got killed because i couldnt aim since my chair was bobbing and weaving.. grr..

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005

U.S. server for me! I guess I'll go ahead and buy an extra slot or two. I have the extra gold just lying around and plenty of gold to keep me in the premium even if I buy a couple of slots. I would like to try a TD but was waiting to see if the American TDs were going to come in sometime soon. Maybe I'll go ahead and try the German TD line. I do pretty good playing as a sniper with my KV tanks. I plan to completely trick out my IS3 I'm liking it so much.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Skott

In response to your question last night in the WoT ATOT channel (just missed you as you'd left for a meal), I take around 25 HE shells in my T29 with 105mm T5E1. This allows me to take 28 AP shells too.

Plenty of penetrative goodness and HE for the super softies + super heavies..

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
GRR, I'm playing and doing well, had a kill and half life.. i'm creeping up on an enemy tank and my wife decides to come into the room and give me a hug and move my chair around and well, basically i got killed because i couldnt aim since my chair was bobbing and weaving.. grr..

Haha, can't tell you how many times I've died from one of our cats jumping on my lap or my keyboard at the most inopportune times.

I guess since the softwipe won't be happening until the new year that I'm going to keep pushing for my VK3002 and SU152.

Swore I was going up the German TD line after the wipe but I really feel like I would miss my SU100. It's just so versatile and fun to play, it's hard to imagine my garage without it.

PlasmaBomb

Lifer
Nov 19, 2004
You can always buy it back.. if you don't sell it before the soft wipe it won't cost you anything...

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
Post warp fix, I have found that the heavy TDs are tough to play because you're spotted at such long range and it's impossible to hide. So JPanthers and Ferds are just going to take a ton of shells from tanks they can't see. Medium TDs have a great combination of speed, firepower and stealth. But sometimes they're stuck in matches where it doesn't matter because there's no way a JPIV is going to beat an IS-4. Light TDs are just utterly unfair. You can stick a a JPI in a bush and kill anything in 2-3 shots. You're pretty much invisible, your gun is hyper-accurate and fast firing and you can track targets at very long ranges. I've been able to take out at least nine rushing tanks on Campinovka before they could even reach my base. That's not because I'm really skilled. . . it was just easy to do.

Canun

Apr 1, 2006
Post warp fix, I have found that the heavy TDs are tough to play because you're spotted at such long range and it's impossible to hide. So JPanthers and Ferds are just going to take a ton of shells from tanks they can't see. Medium TDs have a great combination of speed, firepower and stealth. But sometimes they're stuck in matches where it doesn't matter because there's no way a JPIV is going to beat an IS-4. Light TDs are just utterly unfair. You can stick a a JPI in a bush and kill anything in 2-3 shots. You're pretty much invisible, your gun is hyper-accurate and fast firing and you can track targets at very long ranges. I've been able to take out at least nine rushing tanks on Campinovka before they could even reach my base. That's not because I'm really skilled. . . it was just easy to do.

Yup, it is a true sniper on the battle field. Even on the higher end matches it ends up in, it can do quite a bit of damage.

badnewcastle

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2004
My best score is approximately 2,136 (guessing) and around 52k creds I believe. Can't remember seeing more than 52k.

This was in my T29 which is kinda OP and is getting nerfed to hell and back along with my T32 in the up and coming patch.

Pulled off 4,400+ xp and 66k+ credits in my KT(Tiger II) last night. That was a good time, missed Top Gun by 3% dmg on my 6th kill, got Sniper and Steel Wall.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Got my SU152 last night and was able to get a few matches in.

I'm digging the 152mm, it's a widowmaker for sure, that reload is paaaaiinnful though. Gonna have to adapt my playstyle, this thing is very hard to conceal.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Got my SU152 last night and was able to get a few matches in.

I'm digging the 152mm, it's a widowmaker for sure, that reload is paaaaiinnful though. Gonna have to adapt my playstyle, this thing is very hard to conceal.

Gratz. Just picked up my SU-100 and I'm near to the 100mm.

Really debating whether I wanted the suspension or can live without a 5.4k waste.

HarvardAce

Mar 3, 2005

Really debating whether I wanted the suspension or can live without a 5.4k waste.

Will you have enough capacity to put a 100mm on it without the upgraded suspension?

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005

Congrats yourself, that is my favorite vehicle. I'd definitely get the tracks and at least the first engine upgrade. The 100mm is a really nice gun and easy to make a lot of money with. The second engine upgrade will restore acceleration to 100mm levels when running with the 122mm. The 122 isn't the best gun in the tier like the 107mm is in the SU85 but it's pretty damn close.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Congrats yourself, that is my favorite vehicle. I'd definitely get the tracks and at least the first engine upgrade. The 100mm is a really nice gun and easy to make a lot of money with. The second engine upgrade will restore acceleration to 100mm levels when running with the 122mm. The 122 isn't the best gun in the tier like the 107mm is in the SU85 but it's pretty damn close.

Already had the Engine and Radio upgrades from pervious tanks (thankfully)

Got the 100mm on it and it's pretty decent. Definitely feels better than the JagdPanzer VI though that was over 600 games ago :)

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Last night I got the BL9 122mm gun for my IS3. It does better penetration than than any of the other 122mm guns. I definitely noticed it in game. Fewer shells are bouncing off the big tanks now and doing actual damage. Now I just need to get the upgraded turret. I'll get a gun rammer either today or tomorrow depending on how much play time I get.

I noticed I need like 168k xp to research the IS4. Holy cow! I'm going to be in the IS3 for some time to come. I'm having fun with it though.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Really, really bad games last night, pretty much every match ended with me being spotted them immediately engaged by 6+ enemies in both my SU185 and my Tiger leading to quite a few insta-kills. Such a drastic departure from the previous couple nights where I was rocking it pretty consistently, have to blame myself though.

After getting worked 6-7 matches in a row, I found myself just firing off random rounds in my Tiger without even thinking. One my mates was like, what the hell are you doing? I didn't have an answer, my heart just wasn't in it and I was daydreaming while clicking the mouse.

HarvardAce

Mar 3, 2005
Just about to get into the IS, myself. Between free XP and the XP on my KV-3 I could get into it now, but I want to save the free XP to immediately upgrade the suspension and turret (so I can use the 122mm gun from my KV-3). Also waiting on my last crew member to hit 100% (he's been at 99% for what seems like forever).

If you retrain the crew member for a new tank, I know that they keep any secondary training, but will that secondary training remain static until the crew member reaches 100% again, or will the secondary training increase at the same time as the primary %?

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
If you retrain the crew member for a new tank, I know that they keep any secondary training, but will that secondary training remain static until the crew member reaches 100% again, or will the secondary training increase at the same time as the primary %?

The secondary stat remains static until your crew reaches 100% again. Once your crew are 100%, the secondary stat will level up again.

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I noticed I need like 168k xp to research the IS4. Holy cow! I'm going to be in the IS3 for some time to come. I'm having fun with it though.
You'll definitely be putting in some seat time for both the IS-3 and IS-4. I feel like I've been playing my IS-4 forever and I still have the turret upgrade and 130mm upgrade to go yet (suspension, engine and 122mm upgraded already). Not to mention the XP necessary to research the IS-7. At least it isn't nearly as painful to play now that it has a few upgrades.

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Are there any specs on the upcoming French line of tanks or do we have to wait until they're actually patched in to see how they'll perform?