[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 33 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Arty is pretty fun. First did a little bit with Bison but first match ever with arty and Im in some giant Kursk battle with enormous tanks. I apologized in advance for me being the only arty and being a noob!

But the top down view is cool, just like BF2 commander mode.

I was looking for enemy artillery by watching areas for any projectile trajectories flying out of bushes it was really cool. Like sniping :)

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Nicely done!

Speaking of XP, how much are people averaging each battle? After my best round, took down 5 tanks and damaging few others in my SU85 and being the sole survivor, I earned 513. That seems a little low.

I think in the high 600s average for wins. Low 300s for losses. (The round with the AusF B had my highest at 2700XP)

If you have the Hetzer, get the 10.5cm gun and load only HE. You will be the track master, tracking all the heavies. If you can sneak very close to some heavies, you have a chance to kill them. But stick to tracking and criticals. I went from 75-150xp a match up to 500xp.

That gun makes a huge difference. You'll want to take a tad longer aiming though as it takes forever to reload

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
My best score.... 1500+ xp and 50ish thousand credits and thats with my IS and the 122mm gun.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
My best score is approximately 2,136 (guessing) and around 52k creds I believe. Can't remember seeing more than 52k.

This was in my T29 which is kinda OP and is getting nerfed to hell and back along with my T32 in the up and coming patch.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
I nearly took out an IS-7 last night whilst in my T29 in a 100% Vs. 100%, 1v1 battle.

Oddly enough he ricocheted off my turret twice and I took him down to 19% before a Tiger II smashed me in the side/rear and the IS-7 finished me off.

Was pretty 'omg omg omg I'm dead I'm dead... HE BOUNCED!!! and I hit him... omg I'm dead... I BOUNCED WTF?!'. It definitely had the adrenaline pumping. At one point he actually started to run away from me and I followed him... very curious behaviour.

Canun

Apr 1, 2006
Best xp I ever got was 3k on the Pzjgr1. I had 11 kills on campinovka, but only made about 9k in cash.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I got my IS3 tonight. I had enough moola to upgrade the engine, radio, and the D25T 122mm gun at the start. Saving up for a large gun rammer now. Next thing I'll upgrade will be suspension and then the BL9 122mm gun and new turret.

Played in maybe 8-10 fights but I'm impressed with the damage it can take and how many shells it can deflect. I think I'm going to like it but we'll see.

PlasmaBomb

Lifer
Nov 19, 2004
Sometimes it aint fair...

shot_057.jpg

This one came down to a wespe fight, I lost to solution.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Unlocked the long barrel 88 on my Tiger. Man I am really liking this thing now. I had 5 matches in a row last night with over 1000xp which for me in the Tiger is pretty good.

Still dealing with insane module and crew damage, ~50% of the time my gun is knocked out at some point during a match or my loader "buys the farm". But I do really well sniping and/or supporting other heavies and of course mop-up.

Fatdog

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2000
I'm grinding out the last few xp needed to elite my SU85. I can only squeeze in an hour or so every couple days so it's taking forever to get anything accomplished. The tips here and on the wot forums have helped a lot. I just figured out the reticle changes color when on target to show the probability of damage, cool stuff.

Last edited:

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I'm grinding out the last few xp needed to elite my SU85. I can only squeeze in an hour or so every couple days so it's taking forever to get anything accomplished. The tips here and on the wot forums have helped a lot. I just figured out the reticle changes color when on target to show the probability of damage, cool stuff.

It does? I didn't know this.

I went up against a T-29 yesterday in my KV-3. He's broadside to me and I'm headon to him, sort of like a T. He shoots me, it bounces off, I shoot him, take off 26% of his health and knock out his track. Would have taken him out on the 4th shot (he was at 8%), but an IS-7 came around the corner and finished me off. Nice matchmaking there, a KV-3 mixed in with an IS7. lol..

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
After the softwipe I'm going to get either a T26 or a PzII and fully deck it out. The Tier2 tank battles are a lot of fun and I miss them. Heck, maybe I'll get one of each. Fun to play when things get frustrating at the upper levels.

Mar 10, 2005
The start of EU servers is preliminary scheduled for 20-24 December. Projected server capacity for EU clutser is approximately 60k players online at once. Apart from that, the capacity of US servers will be extended to the same value at the same time.

Due to processing complexity there will be no soft wipe prior to this major event (ie not soft wipe this year).

v.0.6.2.x update will be released along with the start of EU servers.

Each registered player will be given an opportunity to choose between the two servers. Specially designated application will assess connection quality to both servers and recommend the most suitable option in each individual case. Once you make up your mind and choose one particular server, your account is moved to the respective database.

In order to join the other server later on, you will need to register another account and download the appropriate version of the game client (either US or EU according to your previous desicion).

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/20462-server-split-up-procedure/

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
After the softwipe I'm going to get either a T26 or a PzII and fully deck it out. The Tier2 tank battles are a lot of fun and I miss them. Heck, maybe I'll get one of each. Fun to play when things get frustrating at the upper levels.

I just bought a PanzerJager I, fully equipped it and 75% crew. Scored 7 kills in my second match :D Will definitely be doing something with a Tier 2 tank after softwipe.

This is part of my Patch Notes Discussion Part 2 of my blog going out tonight. Damn shame really.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
The start of EU servers is preliminary scheduled for 20-24 December. Projected server capacity for EU clutser is approximately 60k players online at once. Apart from that, the capacity of US servers will be extended to the same value at the same time.

Due to processing complexity there will be no soft wipe prior to this major event (ie not soft wipe this year).

v.0.6.2.x update will be released along with the start of EU servers.

Each registered player will be given an opportunity to choose between the two servers. Specially designated application will assess connection quality to both servers and recommend the most suitable option in each individual case. Once you make up your mind and choose one particular server, your account is moved to the respective database.

In order to join the other server later on, you will need to register another account and download the appropriate version of the game client (either US or EU according to your previous desicion).

OMG this sucks! So I cant play with EU buddies unless I create a second account (splitting any advancement I can make in the game) and on top of that would need a 2nd client install. Ridiculous!

HarvardAce

Mar 3, 2005

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
just because it hasn't been posted here, this is the new matchmaking system:

I dont understand what that chart means and unfortunately the world of tanks site is blocked at my office. I will check when I get home but can you quickly tell me does this mean something like a Tier 4 tank destroyer is not going to get stuck repeatedly in matches with 6 or 7 Tier 7-9 heavy tanks? Its very frustrating when I get in battles like that and can't contribute to the battle

HarvardAce

Mar 3, 2005
just because it hasn't been posted here, this is the new matchmaking system:

This is awesome. How does the matchmaking system factor in platoons? Does it only factor in the highest-ranked tank in the platoon, or, if they all fit into a certain category, does it limit you to a particular rank? If you don't fit into one category, how does it work?

I know I've seen first-tier tanks in a tier 5 battle because they were platooned with some tier 4 tanks. However, let's say I pair a tier 5 heavy (ranks 4-7) with a tier 3 medium (ranks 2-4). Does that mean I'm limited to a rank 4 match, or is it possible for us to get put into a rank 7 match?

Another interesting example: A tier 4 light (ranks 3-8) with that same tier 5 heavy (4-7). Am I now limited to 3-8, 4-7, or 4-8?

To put it mathematically, my guess is that the ranks are determined by:

Minimum rank: max(lowest rank for each tank)
Maximum rank: max(maximum rank for each tank)

HarvardAce

Mar 3, 2005
I dont understand what that chart means and unfortunately the world of tanks site is blocked at my office. I will check when I get home but can you quickly tell me does this mean something like a Tier 4 tank destroyer is not going to get stuck repeatedly in matches with 6 or 7 Tier 7-9 heavy tanks? Its very frustrating when I get in battles like that and can't contribute to the battle

OK, each tier/type of tank (vertical axis, such as a tier 5 heavy (i.e. KV, T1 Heavy)) is listed. For every colored bar on that row, those are the different "combat levels" (I like to call it "rank") of matchmaking you may be put into. Each column is a different rank, and indicates what tiers/types of tanks can be found in that rank.

It's a bit confusing, but the easiest way to read it is to find the row for the tank you want to investigate. Figure out the range of ranks you may play in, and then see what other tanks are included in each of those ranks. The one you're probably most interested in is the max rank.

To better illustrate, let's take the example of the KV, a tier 5 heavy tank. A tier 5 heavy tank can be in ranks 4, 5, 6, or 7. In a rank 4 match, you will go up against any Tier 3 or 4 tank, and any Tier 5 non-artillery tank. However, you could also get placed in a rank 7 match, which would include Tier 4 light/artillery and any tanks from tier 5 to tier 9. However, in that rank 7 match you won't also see a tier 3 tank.

If instead you are in a rank 6 match, you could see a tier 3 arty, any tier 4 vehicle except a heavy (are there tier 4 heavies???), any tier 5 tank, and any non-arty tier 6, 7, or 8 tank.

Edit: Note that the colors in the grid are just used to distinguish the type of tank but don't indicate anything else. The bottom section seems to be for tanks that have exceptions to the rule. For example, the Bison_1 is a tier 2 SPG, but instead of being limited to rank 2 and 3 matches it can be found in anything up to rank 5.

I also found it interesting that they didn't include Tier 9 mediums -- aren't they releasing those in this patch as well?

Last edited: