[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 32 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
To play with friends you make a platoon(group). Also when you get a Leo, or any other fast light tank, running around you just shoot them in the tracks and then deal with them that way. And you need to do your shooting manually. Autoaiming took a nerf last patch so learn to shoot manually. Learn to lead a moving tank too. Its like skeet/bird shooting.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
To play with friends you make a platoon(group). Also when you get a Leo, or any other fast light tank, running around you just shoot them in the tracks and then deal with them that way. And you need to do your shooting manually. Autoaiming took a nerf last patch so learn to shoot manually. Learn to lead a moving tank too. Its like skeet/bird shooting.

Yes I would say I have a firm understanding of the concept of leading targets however what I am suffering most from in this game with manual aim is I have no idea where my rounds are going - I dont see them.

I was a very good tanker in games like the BF series because the round trajectory was clearly visible and I quickly learned how to hit targets with great precision whether they are moving perpendicular to my position or at such a distance that I needed to account for significant bullet drop

However in this game - I dont see where the heck my rounds are going so I dont know how to adjust my aim. Also its a bit uncomfortable aiming from a 3rd person view - maybe I should play around with different views available?

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Yes I would say I have a firm understanding of the concept of leading targets however what I am suffering most from in this game with manual aim is I have no idea where my rounds are going - I dont see them.

I was a very good tanker in games like the BF series because the round trajectory was clearly visible and I quickly learned how to hit targets with great precision whether they are moving perpendicular to my position or at such a distance that I needed to account for significant bullet drop

However in this game - I dont see where the heck my rounds are going so I dont know how to adjust my aim. Also its a bit uncomfortable aiming from a 3rd person view - maybe I should play around with different views available?

Until you get to Tier 5 or 6, no-one really cares how good or bad you are.

From my stats and the work I have done with the game, some of the guys might call me a good player but even with an Elite AT-1 and a 75% crew, I was finding it hard in Tier 1-2 matches. Granted this was before they fixed the warping.

If you want, hit me up for a session in the training room. I have a T-43 maxed out which would give you plenty of target practice on how to shoot at targets and I can go through some ways that people will try to take down your PanzerJager I (which is a damn good tank for it's tier)

Mar 10, 2005
i'm just about done with WoT. i've played the hell out of it for 2 months and it's extremely repetitive, moreso than a good fps. the game is still very broken with no sign of improvement. also, skill doesn't play as big a role as it should - there is a mountain of shaky math that averages and manipulates invisibly (and i'm not talking about the invisible tanks). there's a bunch of fundamental problems with this game and i have no confidence they will be fixed.

yuppiejr

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2002

I had some of the same issues when I started out - first thing I did to fix my problem aiming was to swap the crosshairs to a more typical + shaped version (available in the game options menu). I also found the information in the F1 screen surprisingly useful to understanding what the cursor color means. As someone who shoots in real life (took a 7 point buck on the run less than a month ago) I find the need to lead shots in the game is much less than I expected based on my real world firearms experience and required some adjustment to nail down in game.

I also discovered the art of finding cover early in a match and fully using the forward zoom feature to focus my field of view (WATCH THE MINI MAP). Smart use of the full first person zoom is useful if you are in a stationary position (camping or defending early in a match against a scout rush) or trying to track/damage another tank that's engaged with a stronger ally.

Ammo selection is also key, in general AP rounds are only good if you are able to shoot out of a mid length/long barrel gun at an opponent in your same tier class or lower. HE is great for causing systems (particularly track) damage and is the only way you will reliably damage higher tier tanks with the limited lifespan of a light tank.

I went with the German tree and found the tier 1-3 grind fairly easy but once I hit the Panzer 3 in Tier 4 I was suddenly thrown into high tier matches and had a hellish time making progress. Since it is hard to do damage without upgrading to a higher tier gun (which means first suspension and a better turret) it was a LONG early grind through prerequisite upgrades until I had a fast enough tank that could do some damage to other tanks thanks to the stubby 75mm + HE that it can be equipped with.

Scout tanks are at a huge disadvantage in the current campfest state of the game due to the impossibility of detecting most stationary tanks before they can one shot you... In the German tree it happens you MUST play a scout tank in Tier 4 if you want to run any German heavies so take advantage of the opportunity to learn. By adjusting my play style into a support role early in each game (lobbing HE at engaged enemies while screening a group of heavy/meds) and waiting until late in the match to start hunting arty when heavies and TD's have moved I was able to start turning XP and money around.

Not sure if you'll have the same experience, I was a bit unprepared for the grind that was Tier 4-5 but the reward once you hit T6 both in your play skill and equipment earning capability was well worth it in my opinion. The game is obviously beta with some significant mechanics and balance bugs that need to be worked out but it's still a ton of fun once you understand how to work around them.

Feel free to look me up in-game also ("Biggensak") if you want any pointers I can provide <as an admittedly newer player> or just want to run a couple of matches against the unwashed masses.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Someone please tell me how arty can calculate where you are shooting from when you are on the other side of the map, in bushes, shooting your artillery. I've tried to scan the common areas that all arty go to but I can never see any vehicles shooting at all. I know I'm doing something wrong, and I guess I need to see a video or something to show me what I'm doing wrong, but I can't see jack crap to make out where an enemy is shooting from. Also, how is it that I can see trees and fences being smashed, but I cant see the tank doing it? I mean, if a small fence is getting crushed, I should damn well be able to see what is flattening it.

Does it matter where you hit a tank in the treads to take out their track? Front, rear, middle, does it matter?

Does anyone purchase and use the high dollar shells? I know I don't. Not worth a gold or two just to hit an enemy a little harder.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Someone please tell me how arty can calculate where you are shooting from when you are on the other side of the map, in bushes, shooting your artillery. I've tried to scan the common areas that all arty go to but I can never see any vehicles shooting at all. I know I'm doing something wrong, and I guess I need to see a video or something to show me what I'm doing wrong, but I can't see jack crap to make out where an enemy is shooting from. Also, how is it that I can see trees and fences being smashed, but I cant see the tank doing it? I mean, if a small fence is getting crushed, I should damn well be able to see what is flattening it.

Does it matter where you hit a tank in the treads to take out their track? Front, rear, middle, does it matter?

Does anyone purchase and use the high dollar shells? I know I don't. Not worth a gold or two just to hit an enemy a little harder.

Yeah I find that really annoying too - seeing tress and shit get smashed by some invisible force. Sometimes when I see it I just fire a round there estimated where they are and sometimes I think I hit them cause when I do find the tank they have some damage. But ofc they could have already been dmged I guess....

But there's alot of complaints about the spotting system and supposedly it's going to be addressed

I dont buy those really expensive shells but I do keep like 5 HEAT shells on me at all times in case I encounter a high tier tank that I have no other hope of damaging. I would load HEAT and aim for their tracks and try to run away like a little girl.

Is there any place that shows your stats during a battle? How much dmg each hit did, how many bounced or didnt penetrate? And how enemies hit you?

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Feel free to look me up in-game also ("Biggensak") if you want any pointers I can provide <as an admittedly newer player> or just want to run a couple of matches against the unwashed masses.

Thank you for those awesome tips!

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
A lot of the time you can see where the shells originate from. Just aim at the start of the trail and fire. Also - there are some known hiding spots on some maps - just aim there and you are almost guaranteed to hit someone

If you don't see the end of the trail but there is only one bush/tree in the vacinity just aim at that. 9 times out of 10 the enemy will be stationary under cover (I've actually taken to 'hiding' my arty more out in the open near a shrubbery but not in it. Several times I have been warned of counter battery fire by an explosion in the bush since thats where I was expected to be hiding. Of course if the enemy tanks start showing up in the area you need to find cover quickly)

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
I have been curious about arty in this game - I really should try it out - but does an arty player have a special view of the map allowing them to fire at things so far away?

Canun

Apr 1, 2006
I have been curious about arty in this game - I really should try it out - but does an arty player have a special view of the map allowing them to fire at things so far away?

Yes, they get a top down view of the whole map.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
I don't like over-advertising my site on places but with the an influx of newer players, I feel it appropriate to post my link.

http://www.elcomesoft.com/p/world-of-tanks.html

I have written up some guides, mainly covering certain points and nuances within the game that will be useful for each given class.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I don't like over-advertising my site on places but with the an influx of newer players, I feel it appropriate to post my link.

http://www.elcomesoft.com/p/world-of-tanks.html

I have written up some guides, mainly covering certain points and nuances within the game that will be useful for each given class.

Whatever attention whore :p

Anyway - the most awesome thing happened to me today. An Ausf B was heading steadily towards my JagdPanther. With no help in sight and only my piddly 88 L56 (compared to an Ausf B) I figured I was doomed. I hit him with an HE shell from cover and set him on fire on the first shot!

I backed over a small hill and just sat there while he burned from 100&#37; HP all the way down to 0.

I feel kind bad but I did enjoy getting all the XP from the kill :D

Fatdog

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2000
Nicely done!

Speaking of XP, how much are people averaging each battle? After my best round, took down 5 tanks and damaging few others in my SU85 and being the sole survivor, I earned 513. That seems a little low.

yuppiejr

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2002
Nicely done!

Speaking of XP, how much are people averaging each battle? After my best round, took down 5 tanks and damaging few others in my SU85 and being the sole survivor, I earned 513. That seems a little low.

Kills only reward slightly more XP than straight damage, if the tanks you killed had been damaged or were significantly lower tier the 500 XP score is not out line. My best XP score from a single battle in a Pz4 was around 1200 (premium, would have been 600 without) which I haven't yet matched in my VK3601.. though my average XP is higher along with win:loss and survival rate. Damage > all when it comes to getting XP in the game (they really should boost base capture XP to make it more worthwhile).

I find pairing up with larger tanks or other mediums wolfpack style nets consistent XP even if I'm just throwing HE at T8-10 heavies hoping for a track or rack hit and not tallying up kills. The key is just not dying early before you've gotten a few shots of your own in even in matches where you're in the bottom third tier wise. I also find shooting for tracks on tanks of higher tier has a much better chance of landing a hit for damage than the turret/body of a tank but that is kind of common sense I suppose. :)

Don't underestimate the value of sticking around and watching other players during the remaining battle after you die to pick up some interesting perspective on how other players approach each match.

theswami

Sep 1, 2010
I average about 430 overall but just about 600 in my T44. Pulled off a 9 kill, 1866XP battle in my T44 a few days ago!

Always play on monthly premium too.

With the upcoming soft wipe try not to sell anything in your garage if you can help it. You'll get full refund for anything in the garage. If you sell stuff you're losing 1/2 the value.

As for manually leading the moving targets, here's my 'rough' tips.

* After the last patch the amount of leading needed is much less
* Tanks within 100m - front of tank to maybe 1/4 tank ahead
* Tanks at longer range - roughly one tank length ahead.
* High speed scouts at longer range - two tank lengths ahead.

Current tanks: T-44, T-34, VK3001P, PZIII/IV, KV-3

@Exterous - lol, almost same thing to me. I was in my 3001P and came upon a Maus at 90&#37;. Threw an HE shell just under his turret and set him on fire! Watched him burn down to 0%... That single shot was worth 1300 xp and 32,000 credits lol.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Ugh now I am starting to understand the complaints about grinding around Tier 4...

I started a few days ago deciding to go down the German Tank Destroyer tree. Each day I got a new TD and it was a lot of fun battling with them. But now I got a Hetzer and it's getting pretty frustrating.

I need like 14,000 XP to advance but they keep sticking me in these battles where 80% are these huge heavy tanks who I cant even penetrate so I end up only getting 75-150XP on average and big repair bills. All I can do in these battles is hide, take a few pot shots at the very few lower tier opponents if they ever show up and hope I dont ever get spotted - which also is another source of frustration as in one example I was hiding in bushes near the end of a battle they had just one artillery and one heavy tank left and the artillery was at their flag and I was near ours. Suddenly, I get blown up by the heavy tank from across a long distance. I never spotted him. Heavy tanks have top armor, top firepower and they can spot like scouts? It's no wonder there's so many of them.

Fatdog

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2000
I need like 14,000 XP to advance but they keep sticking me in these battles where 80% are these huge heavy tanks who I cant even penetrate so I end up only getting 75-150XP on average and big repair bills. All I can do in these battles is hide, take a few pot shots at the very few lower tier opponents if they ever show up and hope I dont ever get spotted - which also is another source of frustration as in one example I was hiding in bushes near the end of a battle they had just one artillery and one heavy tank left and the artillery was at their flag and I was near ours. Suddenly, I get blown up by the heavy tank from across a long distance. I never spotted him. Heavy tanks have top armor, top firepower and they can spot like scouts? It's no wonder there's so many of them.

This is the same thing happening to me with the SU85. I need 25K XP to get to the SU100 and it's going to be a long grind getting there.

I play on premium and try to get in with other TD's or heavys and follow along trying to get a couple pot shots in before I'm one shotted by something. The worst is when the other team is nearly all platoon members. It's usually over before I reload my 2nd shot.

Canun

Apr 1, 2006
Ugh now I am starting to understand the complaints about grinding around Tier 4...

I started a few days ago deciding to go down the German Tank Destroyer tree. Each day I got a new TD and it was a lot of fun battling with them. But now I got a Hetzer and it's getting pretty frustrating.

If you have the Hetzer, get the 10.5cm gun and load only HE. You will be the track master, tracking all the heavies. If you can sneak very close to some heavies, you have a chance to kill them. But stick to tracking and criticals. I went from 75-150xp a match up to 500xp.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
If you have the Hetzer, get the 10.5cm gun and load only HE. You will be the track master, tracking all the heavies. If you can sneak very close to some heavies, you have a chance to kill them. But stick to tracking and criticals. I went from 75-150xp a match up to 500xp.

Sounds interesting! what does it mean to track them?

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Sounds interesting! what does it mean to track them?

Blowing off their tracks thus forcing them to sit there until the crew can repair the broken tracks. The time involved can vary. It may be as little as 10 seconds or as long as never able to if everyone and their brother and sister are constantly tracking you. Arty shots are the most common cause of tracking because they dont have to actually hit the tank. Just land a shot next to the tank can cause tracking and it happens quite frequently. Some argue too frequently. Other tanks however actually have to hit the tracks to cause the tracking damage. This of course leaves the tank very vulnerable because it can no longer move about.

Edit: This weekend I'm pushing to get my IS3. I need something like less than 10k xp and save up another 1.5 million credits. Once I get the IS3 then I'll go back to getting the PzIV upgraded to the VK3601H.

Last edited:

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
OK - I got my 10.5cm cannon, loaded up full of HEAT and am ready to party. I will be aiming for tracks!

edit: would love to see a more detailed end-of-battle report - like how many critical hits, how many times to track, how many times components/crew you damage. Then what you got hit with by each shot - what shell, who fired, amount of dmg

Last edited:

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Blowing off their tracks thus forcing them to sit there until the crew can repair the broken tracks. The time involved can vary. It may be as little as 10 seconds or as long as never able to if everyone and their brother and sister are constantly tracking you. Arty shots are the most common cause of tracking because they dont have to actually hit the tank. Just land a shot next to the tank can cause tracking and it happens quite frequently. Some argue too frequently. Other tanks however actually have to hit the tracks to cause the tracking damage. This of course leaves the tank very vulnerable because it can no longer move about.

Edit: This weekend I'm pushing to get my IS3. I need something like less than 10k xp and save up another 1.5 million credits. Once I get the IS3 then I'll go back to getting the PzIV upgraded to the VK3601H.

I'm going for the IS3 also.. IIRC, its next in line after the KV-3.. or is that just the IS? I can't remember..

HarvardAce

Mar 3, 2005

First, I'm assuming you're playing as artillery yourself. If not, then you're probably not going to be able to trace a shell back to where it's being fired from unless you're in visible range of them anyway.

There are two strategies for locating enemy artillery -- if all/most hiding spots for artillery are in a single grid square, you just go into top-down mode, zoom all the way out, and sit, watching the entire grid square where they hide. Once some of your tanks see some of theirs, expect artillery to take a shot or two. When they shoot, you should be able to see the trail and where it started -- just shoot a small bit behind where the trail started. If you get a direct hit on a tank you cannot see, you will *not* see the explosion. If you do see the explosion, then you did not get a direct hit (but may have damaged them from the explosion radius). If you weren't able to pin down the location the first time they fired, wait go to the general area and wait for their second shot.

The other method, usually used on maps where the artillery is more spread out (like the snow map, for example), is to go into top-down mode and follow the friendly tanks that are near the enemy tanks that are lit up. Once you see an artillery shot land near your friendly tanks, take note of the angle it came in and follow it back until you get to a likely hiding spot, then wait for another shell and see if you can see where it started (otherwise follow it back some more). This method is obviously less effective since you've got to wait for at least 2 of their shots before you can pinpoint them, but is the only way to do it on more spread out maps where you're not sure where the artillery will be.

Additionally, if the first method is not showing you any artillery trails, but you are seeing artillery get kills, then go to the second method, because they likely won't be shooting from the spot you expected.

Note that I usually only try this if I'm going against 3+ artillery, and usually only on maps where I can employ the first method. Trying the second method can take too long and by then you've missed out on a few easier shots on the tanks in the middle of the map. You also don't want all the artillery on your team to be doing it or you'll be wasting all your artillery.

A corollary to that is, as artillery, to try and pick less obvious spots to shoot from, spread out from other artillery, and move, even a little, after each shot. As long as there are no enemy tanks making a bee-line for your general area, you are better off near, but not in, cover so you are less vulnerable to getting shot using the above methods. If tanks start to move closer to you, then go find cover.