[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 30 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Canun

Apr 1, 2006
I'm finally getting a handle on this game. Getting old sucks, reaction times are embarrassing. I'm finally getting mutiple kills in some matches. I went the Russian TD route and tend to defend the base and SPG's. I did manage to slip on to the enemy's base one match and hide between several blown up tanks and held on to win for our side.

Is there a way to exchange gold or credits for experiance?

You can use gold to move experience from one vehicle that is fully researched to free research. Click on the free research button and it will give you the ability to move some of the experience. It's a great way to get that next bump if you need, though you need to make sure you have enough to keep your account premium.

Fatdog

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2000
You can use gold to move experience from one vehicle that is fully researched to free research. Click on the free research button and it will give you the ability to move some of the experience. It's a great way to get that next bump if you need, though you need to make sure you have enough to keep your account premium.

Thanks, that's the info I was looking for. I have enough gold and credits, just couldn't figure out how to swap them for experience.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I'm up to the IS now and have everything upgraded except for the gun. The tank is much more maneuverable than the KV3 so that is a good thing. However its fire power is sub par. Currently I'm using the 100mm gun. The 100mm gun is definitely a step down from the 107mm gun available to the KV and KV3. Most shots just bounce off or outright do no damage against other tanks of same tier. Which really sucks because making damage or kills is what brings in the money. Without premium account you will struggle to make money using the 100mm gun I have found. If your team wins you will make some but if your team loses you'll likely lose money as in go backwards in credits. With premium account though you will make money whether you lose or win. I've played both ways and can say this is the truth.

I have not yet tried using either of the 122mm guns (D-2-5T & D-25T) available to the IS via upgrade. Its the second one (D-25T) that people seem to recommend to use since it has the slightly faster rate of fire. The shells are quite expensive I hear so to use it you will want to have the premium account when using this gun they say. After seeing how well the IS works with the 100mm gun and no premium account I can believe this. I'm saving xp now for the D-25T gun and new turret. My advice is to have premium account before getting the IS.

Also as a side note I hear there will be a softwipe about the same time as they restart the EU servers which is rumored to be mid-December. I started after the last one so can't say what to expect about that. Starting all over again has me a little bummed but I hear all gained xp gets returned as free xp so that would be helpful if true.

PlasmaBomb

Lifer
Nov 19, 2004
Also as a side note I hear there will be a softwipe about the same time as they restart the EU servers which is rumored to be mid-December. I started after the last one so can't say what to expect about that. Starting all over again has me a little bummed but I hear all gained xp gets returned as free xp so that would be helpful if true.

Yup last time you got all your XP back as free xp, good if you had branched out and now have decided what line you wish to pursue...

You could probably jump to the IS-3 or IS-4 if you are lucky :)

(Straight upgrade to what you want, ignore side modules on the lower tiers)

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I would love to be able to start off with an IS3. Then I could work up the German and Russian medium lines to see how they play.

PlasmaBomb

Lifer
Nov 19, 2004
I would love to be able to start off with an IS3. Then I could work up the German and Russian medium lines to see how they play.

You could start now... don't forget that it all goes into the pool at the reset.

It's probably also worth driving whatever you find gives you a good xp/match though (elite tanks work too, as this will go to free xp after the softwipe AFAIK).

Your crew will be reset too... so don't worry about grinding crew!

Dec 27, 2004
www.store.massiverc.com
I just want to thank the OP for possibly ruining my life............I was once addicted to a game that wasted two years of my life...........Mechwarrior............I had beat it and now I think I'll be losing a couple more years of my life to this game. Thanks alot.

Stupid game wouldn't let me use the nick of MassiveOverkill, so if you blow up a guy called MyLittlePony..........that's me ;)

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
You could start now... don't forget that it all goes into the pool at the reset.

It's probably also worth driving whatever you find gives you a good xp/match though (elite tanks work too, as this will go to free xp after the softwipe AFAIK).

Your crew will be reset too... so don't worry about grinding crew!

Good to know, thanks! Sunday evening I got bored getting my butt kicked in my IS so bought a PzIII Ausf. A. I now have the PzIII and working my way up the German chain. I'm keeping my KV3 for a money maker to support my IS tanks. Thinking a German VK3601 would make for another good money maker so working towards that. That would give me two good money makers, three if I count my Leo, to support my IS type tanks. Getting close to having the D-25T 122mm gun for my IS so I'm going to need plenty of credits rolling in to buy ammo.

ginfest

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2000
I just want to thank the OP for possibly ruining my life............I was once addicted to a game that wasted two years of my life...........Mechwarrior............I had beat it and now I think I'll be losing a couple more years of my life to this game. Thanks alot.

Stupid game wouldn't let me use the nick of MassiveOverkill, so if you blow up a guy called MyLittlePony..........that's me ;)

Tell me about it. This game has me hooked! Even though parts are a real grind and the maps are small, I keep coming back for more!
Oh and love the nickname :)

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I have the D-25T 122mm gun now on my IS. What a world of difference it makes compared to the 100mm gun. I can lay damage on any tank in the game now. First thing I did was buy a rammer for it to reduce load time by 10%. My very first fight with it I took down an IS3 in two side shots. Never could do that with the 100mm gun. Best I could hope for with it was maybe tracking the tank. Tigers now have a reason to be leery of me. And those T29 and their 120% armor? I can put a hurting on them too. Been able to hit them for 33% a shot. Not bad. I can also damage a IS7 somewhat. I'm a believer in the D-25T now! Shells are pricey though. 1,026 credits each but with the premium account I'm making money. Cant wait to get up into a IS3 with one of these guns. I need like 80K xp to research the IS3. Gonna be a long grind but a fun one.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
I think that 122mm is the same or close to what I've got on my SU-100. 175/390 for AP? Pre-patch it was almost useless but being able to hit at long range on moving targets makes this gun a terror on the battlefield.

Facing some money constraints right now, just bought a Tiger and the VK3001P, I have the XP for the SU152 but not enough cash.

Not really liking the 3001P, it's just a more terrible version of the 3001H. Very slow, same gun, not fast enough to really scout and not enough punch to duel much. Dog-fighting is 100% out of the question due to terrible traverse. Really painful to play yet another T6 German medium that's worse than the first one. I might just use my SU85 and 100 to plow through that.

The Tiger is ok I guess. I don't have the upgraded turret or the tracks yet. Running with the same damn 88 I've been using forever in my 3001H, meh. Having the HP is nice but it sucks being placed in the top two of your team when you are basically a huge, slow target that punches like a girl. I think it's 132/220 or something along those lines for AP, that just doesn't get the job done against T7+.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
The VK3001P is not all that great of a tank from what I have heard. I'd say push onto the VK3601DB. I hear its a real dog fighter of a tank. One of the best in the game for a medium tank. In the other line the VK3601H is the tank to work up to. People refer to it as a Little Tiger. I'm slowly working my way up to both lines. The VK3601H first probably. I want to try both a Tiger and a Panther sometime in the future while still grinding up the IS line.

Edit: Lag is really bad today.

Last edited:

badnewcastle

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2004
The VK3001P is not all that great of a tank from what I have heard. I'd say push onto the VK3601DB. I hear its a real dog fighter of a tank. One of the best in the game for a medium tank. In the other line the VK3601H is the tank to work up to. People refer to it as a Little Tiger. I'm slowly working my way up to both lines. The VK3601H first probably. I want to try both a Tiger and a Panther sometime in the future while still grinding up the IS line.

Edit: Lag is really bad today.

VK3001P is a fine tank once you get it updated. Loads of fun and it brought in all kinds of $$$$. VK3601H is awsome too!, The P leads you to VK DB... more than worth your trouble if you want a dogfighter. Currently I have both VK DB elite and VK3601 elite. I use both to pay for my Tiger., which earns 10-20k credits but the other too are nice to have while waiting for battles to end.

***edited*** Tiger added the fact that the Tiger does earn money too.

Last edited:

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Come home tonight and again lag is terrible. Earlier today I stopped playing because it just got too frustrating. I'm no longer buying their excuse they are stress testing the servers. They been using that excuse for weeks now. I think they have a definite problem they cant seem to address. I've seen it a lot in MMOs. If they cant fix it they'll have problems getting people to play it when it goes live.

PlasmaBomb

Lifer
Nov 19, 2004
^They are changing over to US and Europe servers soon, so they are doing something about it, that should help... possibly.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I am going to buy a Pz4 now that I have it researched. I figure sell off the T28 since I dont use it much anymore and free up the slot for the Pz4. Its elite and it has 13,560 research points that can be converted with gold. I have enough gold to do it but I'm wondering with the wipe coming up in about two weeks whether that is a good idea or not. So I'm wondering which is the best play here for me. Sell it as is or convert the points? Trying to figure out which helps me more with the upcoming wipe. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
I am going to buy a Pz4 now that I have it researched. I figure sell off the T28 since I dont use it much anymore and free up the slot for the Pz4. Its elite and it has 13,560 research points that can be converted with gold. I have enough gold to do it but I'm wondering with the wipe coming up in about two weeks whether that is a good idea or not. So I'm wondering which is the best play here for me. Sell it as is or convert the points? Trying to figure out which helps me more with the upcoming wipe. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Sell the T-28

Do not convert the experience

Reasoning: You want the slot. Your T-28's experience will convert to free experience at soft wipe. Any gold spent now on transferring locked experience to free experience will not be refunded.

Enjoy now (PzIV) and save to enjoy more later (saving your gold)

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
What happens to existing tanks after the wipe? We get reimbursed for them or they just go poof?