[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 21 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
For me, this game is starting to get long in the tooth. Its the same thing over and over, with just a few rotating maps, but really, it could just be an open field with no structure and it would be the same. Get in tank, drive forward, shoot enemy, rinse, repeat. I can sit for about 4-5 games max before I have to get up and its starting to be a bit of a chore to play. People cussing, people TKing, if you are playing artillery, there is always an enemy scout who drives right up on your ass and kills you in the first 30 seconds..

Yeah, there just isn't enough to it. Gets very old after a few rounds. I uninstalled... or I would have if the uninstall didn't error out. Yea for betas!

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
2 things I don't understand with people playing this game. Totally neglected any defense of your arty if the other side has a couple of fast movers, and having the bulk of a side going through one or two ways in the many maps that have 3 channel points relying on luck that the opponent did not decide to do the same except going to the one you didn't.

Had a really bad match the other day where both sides came in with 6 arty units, about a minute after start one side had lost all but 1 and that was pretty much game over.

PlasmaBomb

Lifer
Nov 19, 2004
thanks for admitting the provided info is next to useless.

It will tell you if you stand a chance in hell, or if you should run/circle round the sides/back for a shot.

Knowing not to line a shot up against front armour is valuable...

shooting reveals you to pretty much everybody (assuming your target has a good radio). If you find a good place to hide you can often wait that bit longer and take a side shot - boom penetration (+ experience + credits)...

or driving up and knowing to hold for 1 second till you see their side for a better chance, saves waiting to reload to do damage...

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
thanks for admitting the provided info is next to useless.

Do you want a babysitter? Maybe there is like, this thing called a learning curve, where you learn things by playing more. I guess you wouldn't know.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I have a PII tank and I have to admit I really like it. Mine is fully upgraded though so its a bit better off than the stock version. I actually like it more than the Russian T26 counterpart and the T26 I have is fully upgraded as well. The game at this level is quite fun and probably as close to balance as we find so far. Yes, I come up against PIII in some fights but I have been able to kill them if I can get the jump on them. Snipe from a concealed area as they pass by and then zoom up on their butts and just keep laying down a steady fire of 20mm gun. It can take some time but its doable. Just keep moving as much as possible. And thats the key to using the PII. Once you come out of concealment keep moving and dont move in straight lines. Zig and zag a bit as you go. Circle and strafe as much as possible too. Guns are not totally accurate in this game so the more you move and zig and zag the less chance of taking hits.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Nik: I am writing up articles and guides about World of Tanks on my blog. Would you object to popping them on the first post?

Skott: I did not receive your screenshots the other day. Could you check the address you sent them to? My address is elcomesoft@gmail.com Thanks!

Medium Tank guide should be up tomorrow night (about 24 hours time)

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Do you want a babysitter? Maybe there is like, this thing called a learning curve, where you learn things by playing more. I guess you wouldn't know.

Yeah, I guess a table of gun penetration versus range would be such a mind blowing original concept with a tank simulation, talk about needing babysitting.

abaez

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
I have a PII tank and I have to admit I really like it. Mine is fully upgraded though so its a bit better off than the stock version. I actually like it more than the Russian T26 counterpart and the T26 I have is fully upgraded as well. The game at this level is quite fun and probably as close to balance as we find so far. Yes, I come up against PIII in some fights but I have been able to kill them if I can get the jump on them. Snipe from a concealed area as they pass by and then zoom up on their butts and just keep laying down a steady fire of 20mm gun. It can take some time but its doable. Just keep moving as much as possible. And thats the key to using the PII. Once you come out of concealment keep moving and dont move in straight lines. Zig and zag a bit as you go. Circle and strafe as much as possible too. Guns are not totally accurate in this game so the more you move and zig and zag the less chance of taking hits.

I'm having the most fun in my PII as well. I don't get placed into matches with big ass tanks that one shot me like in my PIII and actually have good tank battles.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Yeah, I guess a table of gun penetration versus range would be such a mind blowing original concept with a tank simulation, talk about needing babysitting.

So quit your damn whining and make one. Put your money where your mouth is :)

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Nik: I am writing up articles and guides about World of Tanks on my blog. Would you object to popping them on the first post?

Nope, sounds good. PM me the text you'd like the OP edited with and I'll add it. I say PM because I don't check this thread as often as I should :p

Nox51

Jul 4, 2009
whatever happened to opening the game, reading the figures for the different tanks and writing them down. throw them on an excel sheet and post em up. Hell the files themselves might be accessible in the game install.

Too much to apply some brain and work to the problem?

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
oh dumbass, show me where those figures are broken down for effects of range. yall talk a whole lot without having a damn clue to the simplest parts of ballistics.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
oh dumbass, show me where those figures are broken down for effects of range. yall talk a whole lot without having a damn clue to the simplest parts of ballistics.

IT'S A FUCKING VIDEO GAME.

Christ.

Were you one of those assholes who bitched that mario couldn't possibly break through bricks, that coins cannot materialize from metal boxes, and that mushrooms don't really make you big?

HarvardAce

Mar 3, 2005
Are they still sending out beta invites? I applied about a week ago and haven't gotten anything aside from the confirmation e-mail that I had applied.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Are they still sending out beta invites? I applied about a week ago and haven't gotten anything aside from the confirmation e-mail that I had applied.

As far as I am aware, yes.

Will see if I can speak to a mod in-game when I'm on. See if they know.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005

I havent seen anything saying they have stopped giving them out. You'll probably get yours in their next release of invites. They seem to do it in waves as opposed to doing it on a daily basis. Be sure to check your spam mail too to make sure it didn't get stuck there by accident.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I'd list some of these video games you speak of that contain such detailed information either in their printed manual or attached text file, but I take it you couldn't handle such data.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Alright guys, my Guide to Medium Tanks is up now, available here.

Comments are encouraged :)

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I seem to be getting dumped into more even battles (Instead of my PzIII constantly being in the same game as tier 5 tanks)

Mar 10, 2005
I remember someone in an IS-4 heavy tank telling me to stop sniping in my T-34/85 with D10T and go do my job. When I asked what that job was, he replied 'you're a scout for the heavy tanks'. I laughed at him and told him that an IS-4 should not be hiding at the back of our base.

the only thing more infuriating than artillery are those in the biggest tanks that hide behind everyone else.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I love watching the heavies hide. I can sit their and plunk them as arty doing less than 5% damage with each direct shot, yet they all sit huddled behind rocks near the start area.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Had to take a few days off, between the constant whining from certain segments of the playerbase to the "do what I say or I'll track your ass" teammates I was getting pretty burnt out.

Yes it's frustrating to be stuck on a wholly inept team filled with arty noobs or people that will wantonly ignore scouts running through your base but there are certain player types who blame the team every time they die pretty much no matter what.

It gets old, being called a noob by dead people with 0 kills when you have 5 kills, all against the best on the other team and then being tracked for trying to cap is just straight unacceptable. Happened to me twice in my SU85 over the weekend. Why should I risk my TD when I'm almost dead and risk losing the match for the whole team just so some arty noob can get another kill??

That's retarded, this game is about winning as a team, period.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
At times it can be annoying. Friendly teammates need to watch where they are driving! I think I have almost had more tracks thrown by friendly collisions than enemy fire

The thing that gets me the most is the lack of team play. If I see a 1v1 tank battle and I am nearby I will go over to try and help - not to get kills or points but because this will greatly increase the chances the friendly tank will survive and survive with less damange.

Last night I did this in my PzIII for a PzIV vs an enemy Medium tank. The enemy tank saw me and stopped shooting at the PzIV. The PzIV then left the area leaving me to get creamed by the enemy tank (He was at 87% HP too)

I've also had people just drive by without helping when I am having a tough 1v1 or 1v2 tank battle

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I love watching the heavies hide. I can sit their and plunk them as arty doing less than 5% damage with each direct shot, yet they all sit huddled behind rocks near the start area.

While I play as artillery a lot, I think they are very unbalanced. There needs to be something on the tank to let them know they are being targetted by artillery so they can release a smoke screen or better hide under vegetation or something.