[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
You get no choice in maps. The game makes the decision based on whatever. Not sure if its inner workings just rolls a dice and sticks you in it or if there is something more involved.

I havent bothered with it yet but from what I have seen and heard the tank crews can be trained and each crewman has a specific job to do in each tank. Its those skills you increase through training. I've heard if you have a crew ofall 100% the tank performs overall much better than the standard starting 50% or whatever their level is.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
So I started playing this a couple of days ago, in game name Merakys. It's a fairly fun diversion but IMO has some serious flaws right now even if you don't count the major bugs like warping issues.

The biggest gripe really that I have is the total lack of documentation. Even simple stuff, like when you start a standard battle, is there a way to pick the maps you're interested in? I hate taking out a an AT-1 and getting dropped in an urban map for example. Equipment info is so sparse it seems to mainly just be "higher on the list = better" - like gun stats, penetration vs damage, etc. How do they really fit into the game mechanics? Is there a way to see something like the accuracy of a gun?

Crew members in particular I have no idea about... Do they have totally different skills for each tank type? Is there any point in keeping like a primary crew that you move around to whatever tank you're playing?

No choice on maps.

Equipment information is basic because it only needs to be basic. Simply you want the top Suspension, Engine and Radio. These improve turning speed, acceleration and communication range (information sharing) respectively.

When it comes to guns, they have a damage and penetration value. With Armour Piercing shells, they will only do damage if they have a high enough penetration value to penetrate the tanks armour... ie. firing from a gun with 100mm penetration (plus or minus 30% as the 100mm figure given is an average) giving a 70mm-130mm penetration rate, against a 200mm thick piece of armour will bounce off all day (ricochet!, that one didn't go through! crew responses should be noted).

With high explosive (HE) then if they penetrate, they will do huge amounts of damage. If they don't penetrate (and 99% of the time they won't) then they will typically do low damage values but ultimately do much more than you could if you had AP shells like in the above example.

With guns you must balance out the reload rate with the damage and the penetration. Judge what tier you are in and what tier you are likely to come up against. If you consider the AT-1 you mentioned earlier, it's a tier 2 Tank Destroyer (TD) they trade off mobility for a more powerful gun and should have enough penetration power with HE rounds to blow a hole in the side of any Tier 2 tank (comparing the armour values and the armour penetration values plus trial and error). Against Tier 3's you might be best off with AP ammo, however there are very few Tier 3 tanks in your typical Tier 2 match so I would not consider taking AP ammo with me in that case.

Important gun note: The lower the accuracy figure, the better.

Regarding turrets you will find that in most occasions when you have a choice of a turret upgrade, they are worth getting. Usually a higher armour value, faster turning speed and the ability to fit some of the bigger guns for that tank come from a turret upgrade. This is most notably not the case when it comes to the KV tank where the turret traverse is painfully slow but armour values and the fitting of superior guns are still positive points.

Crew are extremely important and are undoubtedly the most important part of your tank. You can tell what role they fulfill within your tank by observing the symbols below the % proficiency of each member. Some tanks have only 3 crew going up to 6 at maximum I have observed. Binoculars denote view range. How far you can see out of your tank.
  • Target reticule denotes accuracy. The higher the skill, the smaller the 'spray' and faster the 'spray' circle will decrease.
  • Headphones denote the radio. The radio allows you to automatically communicate with all of the other tanks. This uncovers enemies that they can see but you may not be able to see.
  • A line of shells denotes your reloading speed. The better this is, the faster you reload.
  • The steering wheel denotes driving skill. The better this is, the better your tank handles.
When you can afford it (probably tier 5 plus), training your crew to 75% with 20,000 credits is worthwhile. Transferring crew carries a penalty on a sliding scale which is more severe if changing your crew between class of tank.

I have had my German Tank Destroyer crew since my Marder II, transferring them into the next tank in the ladder. Currently my crew are in the JagdPanzerIV, a Tier 6 TD, with 86% proficiency.

Hope this helps. Think I might compile all of my advice in this thread into a guide... would go great on my blog.

PlasmaBomb

Lifer
Nov 19, 2004
So I started playing this a couple of days ago, in game name Merakys. It's a fairly fun diversion but IMO has some serious flaws right now even if you don't count the major bugs like warping issues.

Warping should be fixed before launch.... what other bugs you talking about?

The biggest gripe really that I have is the total lack of documentation. Even simple stuff, like when you start a standard battle, is there a way to pick the maps you're interested in? I hate taking out a an AT-1 and getting dropped in an urban map for example. Equipment info is so sparse it seems to mainly just be "higher on the list = better" - like gun stats, penetration vs damage, etc. How do they really fit into the game mechanics? Is there a way to see something like the accuracy of a gun?

Rate of Fire, accuracy, penetration, and time for reticule shrink are all given in the Tech Tree - right click on the module and select characteristics.

Crew members in particular I have no idea about... Do they have totally different skills for each tank type? Is there any point in keeping like a primary crew that you move around to whatever tank you're playing?

Crew make a massive difference - Say your RoF is 30/min - with 50% crew it's not... more like 15/minute, as the skill goes up so will the RoF. Similar story with the other skills.

The little icons in the left of the crew info (below the percentage) tell you what the crew does, so you have commanders (binoculars), gunners (gun sight), radiomen (headphones), drivers (steering wheel), and loaders (ammo).

It's well worth taking crew across if they are trained - when you get to 100% you get secondary skills which help. So grind them to 100%, train some secondary skills and pay to move them across - they should be about 90% efficient if they remain in the same class (light, medium, heavy, SPG, TD).

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Rate of Fire, accuracy, penetration, and time for reticule shrink are all given in the Tech Tree - right click on the module and select characteristics.

except armor pen numbers are about worthless as there is no details i can find that relate them to their actual effectiveness in game.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
except armor pen numbers are about worthless as there is no details i can find that relate them to their actual effectiveness in game.

Check armor values of other tanks, duh? If pen = higher then you are likely to penetrate, although angle of the shot, slope of the armor, and distance all come into play.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Check armor values of other tanks, duh? If pen = higher then you are likely to penetrate, although angle of the shot, slope of the armor, and distance all come into play.

thanks for admitting the provided info is next to useless.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
thanks for admitting the provided info is next to useless.

Don't be silly. It's not useless. Just like in the real world, there's more to living than one or two details. Everything comes into play.

heat901

Dec 17, 2009
I know someone from this great forum wants to give me an invite to their company/clan/guild/platoon.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
I know someone from this great forum wants to give me an invite to their company/clan/guild/platoon.

Platoon is just a temporary group. There are no guilds yet. Simply log in, join the ATOT chat room, and team up.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Any advice for a newbie? I seem to constantly get my tier II PZII stuck in mostly tier III groups and get my ass kicked because I can't pen anything

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Argh! Case in point: I went up against a PZII Luchs in my little shit tin box and fired several rounds right into the back of his tank taking him from 100% to 74% after (3) 4 round bursts. I was about 5 inches away from him so I can only assume most of them hit. It seems that only made him mad so he turned around and blew me to pieces in about 5 seconds (City fighting so I had no where to run)

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Argh! Case in point: I went up against a PZII Luchs in my little shit tin box and fired several rounds right into the back of his tank taking him from 100% to 74% after (3) 4 round bursts. I was about 5 inches away from him so I can only assume most of them hit. It seems that only made him mad so he turned around and blew me to pieces in about 5 seconds (City fighting so I had no where to run)

I feel ya bro, im limping around in the same tin box as you :'( Cant wait till i get a PZIII...

Only advice i can give is stay with other teammates and try to stay behind them so you dont get focused first.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Any advice for a newbie? I seem to constantly get my tier II PZII stuck in mostly tier III groups and get my ass kicked because I can't pen anything

Go with Russian tanks. German tanks are horrible.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010

Upgraded guns on a Tier 2 should be decent against Tier 3, but you'll still be at a significant disadvantage since they have roughly double the hitpoints you do in addition to heavier weapons and armor.

I really hope they work on the balancing in that regard though. I was having a lot of fun friday when I first got my T-46, but yesterday and today it's seemed like I'm constantly getting dropped into groups full of Tier 5-8 heavies and advanced medium tanks. Sure light tanks can run circles around the biggest & slowest tanks (even if you have no hope of killing him), but give him a friend or two and one of them will manage to hit you... and it only takes one hit. Most of the higher tier medium tanks OTOH are fast enough that the light tanks are cannon fodder for them.

None of this is surprising... the game is putting light tanks in the position where they have to try & do things they weren't really meant to do.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
I have written up a Light Tank guide, available here.

Going to be writing up a Medium Tank, Heavy Tank and a Tank Destroyer guide over the next week or so.

Comments on my blog are not only welcome, they are encouraged :)

Last edited:

heat901

Dec 17, 2009
Upgraded guns on a Tier 2 should be decent against Tier 3, but you'll still be at a significant disadvantage since they have roughly double the hitpoints you do in addition to heavier weapons and armor.

I really hope they work on the balancing in that regard though. I was having a lot of fun friday when I first got my T-46, but yesterday and today it's seemed like I'm constantly getting dropped into groups full of Tier 5-8 heavies and advanced medium tanks. Sure light tanks can run circles around the biggest & slowest tanks (even if you have no hope of killing him), but give him a friend or two and one of them will manage to hit you... and it only takes one hit. Most of the higher tier medium tanks OTOH are fast enough that the light tanks are cannon fodder for them.

None of this is surprising... the game is putting light tanks in the position where they have to try & do things they weren't really meant to do.

If I am in my light and get into a medium and heavy battle I either A) protect the arty from lights because if you are in there most likely they have lights there too and they will go straight for your arty. B) Go after their arty and scout them out so my arty can take them out or other tanks at their base. Yea it sucks that you get one shoted by everything but arty fears you and if you keep moving you should be ok. You actually get more ponts for scouting out art then regular tanks just an fyi.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Don't be silly. It's not useless. Just like in the real world, there's more to living than one or two details. Everything comes into play.

in real life you can look at a ballistic data table.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
in real life you can look at a ballistic data table.

In World of Tanks you can pretty much do the same but the data is scattered on individual pages.

Make a ballistic data table and post it, then.

Start > Run > Excel

:p

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
\in my little shit tin box

I feel ya bro, im limping around in the same tin box as you :'( Cant wait till i get a PZIII...

I see the PzII gets a lot better once you get the level II gun in it. I added it after i researched it in the PzIII tree and it is now a lot more deadly. Shame you have to get the next tank up before you can get that gun though

Last edited:

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
So on the values for weapon pen and damage what are the x/y/z values listed? For armor it makes sense being front/side/rear values, but not sure why a gun would have three values.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
So on the values for weapon pen and damage what are the x/y/z values listed? For armor it makes sense being front/side/rear values, but not sure why a gun would have three values.

Different Shells.

To elaborate, a gun which shows armour penetration values of 100/150/50 means:

• Armour Piercing rounds do an average of 100mm penetration
  • Premium rounds (the ones that cost gold) do an average of 150mm penetration
  • High Explosive rounds do an average of 50mm penetration
Remember that these figures are averages and can be plus or minus 30% from the quoted figure.

ginfest

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2000
I have written up a Light Tank guide, available here.

Going to be writing up a Medium Tank, Heavy Tank and a Tank Destroyer guide over the next week or so.

Comments on my blog are not only welcome, they are encouraged :)

Thanks, nice work on the LT guide :)
Enjoy the blog. The game is pretty addicting already. It's nice to see an active user community already!

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
For me, this game is starting to get long in the tooth. Its the same thing over and over, with just a few rotating maps, but really, it could just be an open field with no structure and it would be the same. Get in tank, drive forward, shoot enemy, rinse, repeat. I can sit for about 4-5 games max before I have to get up and its starting to be a bit of a chore to play. People cussing, people TKing, if you are playing artillery, there is always an enemy scout who drives right up on your ass and kills you in the first 30 seconds..