[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
I tried autoaim once after I heard about it. Absolutely hated it.

It works in certain situations. At range, I use it most of the time. It helps tell me when my target is moving, therefore telling me when not to shoot. I try to shoot targets that are stationary.

sushicide

Nov 7, 2001
Would be nice if they could add VOIP support, but make it that only teammates in radio range can hear you.

Or is there an ATOT vent we could use?

KayGee

Sep 16, 2004
I have TeamSpeak 3 and Ventrilo running on my personal server and you guys are more than welcome to use it. The address is kgomes.dyndns.org (standard ports). If anyone wants admin privileges, PM me and I'll set you up.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
I have TeamSpeak 3 and Ventrilo running on my personal server and you guys are more than welcome to use it. The address is kgomes.dyndns.org (standard ports). If anyone wants admin privileges, PM me and I'll set you up.

TS3 asks for password connecting to 9987.

Vent fails to authenticate user/pass.

I tried no password. Is it you who is fail or is it me?

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
The ATOT chat room in-game is filling up nicely. If you aren't in, you should be!

KayGee

Sep 16, 2004
TS3 asks for password connecting to 9987.

Vent fails to authenticate user/pass.

I tried no password. Is it you who is fail or is it me?

Sorry about that. I'll fix it as soon as I get home.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Do you have one program you prefer we use over another? I don't want to be running both vent and TS :p

I have both, but usually use TS3.

KayGee

Sep 16, 2004
Do you have one program you prefer we use over another? I don't want to be running both vent and TS :p

I have both, but usually use TS3.

The server has both running, so you guys can choose the one you want to use. The only issue is because this is a free Ventrilo installation, it is limited to 8 slots. TS3 on the other hand can have up to 32 slots.

The server password is "test" (without the quotes) for both Ventrilo and TS3. Ventrilo uses port 3784 and TS3 uses 9987. Let me know if there are any other problems.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Information regarding Patch 0.5.5 has been removed from their Forum and the Patch update schedule...

However, it is confirmed on Facebook under comments on the T-34-85 render on the World of Tanks Group by World of Tanks that there will be two new maps today.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
My T-46 is fully decked out and an AT-1 killed me in one shot. OUCH, I didn't think that could happen.

Got 5 kills in a game yesterday, slaughtering MS1's and T-26 tanks in my T-46. Fun game to play. I cycle between 3, now 4, different tanks.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Spent some time in the bison last night to make money. Had a dozen or so games in a row that my team rocked and pulled in over 5.5k each with around 4.2k going into the bank each round after repair/rearm.

Ok, another round of questions about crew training. My SPG crew is currently about 70% trained. My next SPG will probably be a wespe. If I spend the 20k per crew when I get the vehicle and it's green crew I can have them at 75%.
If I were to shift the SPG crew from the bison to the wespe, aren't I going to need to spend the same 20k to get to 75%? And if so, could someone remind me of the supposed advantage of keeping a crew.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Must be nice to play with lowbie tier vehicles. While in my tier 2 arty I was getting tossed into games with up to half the players in IS/Tiger/panther/jagpanzer tier vehicles. Would get a solid arty lock and start dropping shells as fast as I could load to only see 10% or so of armor lost with each shot.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Must be nice to play with lowbie tier vehicles. While in my tier 2 arty I was getting tossed into games with up to half the players in IS/Tiger/panther/jagpanzer tier vehicles. Would get a solid arty lock and start dropping shells as fast as I could load to only see 10% or so of armor lost with each shot.

Spent some time in the bison last night to make money. Had a dozen or so games in a row that my team rocked and pulled in over 5.5k each with around 4.2k going into the bank each round after repair/rearm.

Ok, another round of questions about crew training. My SPG crew is currently about 70% trained. My next SPG will probably be a wespe. If I spend the 20k per crew when I get the vehicle and it's green crew I can have them at 75%.
If I were to shift the SPG crew from the bison to the wespe, aren't I going to need to spend the same 20k to get to 75%? And if so, could someone remind me of the supposed advantage of keeping a crew.

PlasmaBomb, The Boston Wrangler (Peter_Gunn) and myself had an awesome time taking our Tier 2 vehicles around in about 15 or so games. Never faced anything above a Tier 3 and out coordinated force of 2 T-26's and 1 PzII wreaked havoc around the map.

Regards to Crew... It doesn't really matter too much about transferring until Tier 5 in my opinion but with Artillery, I'd earn the cash before stepping up and transfer. There is potentially an increase in leveling up crew proficiency speed if this is done. Once your crew hit 100%, a 20k re-train to a similar type tank would give you (Light->Light, Medium-> Medium etc) would give you a 90% crew member for your new tank.

Secondary skills which Crew start to learn after 100% proficiency are extremely good and will work straight away even if your new crewman is operating at 90%. It won't continue to level up until your crew hits 100% again, however. Once your crew starts learning secondary skills, you WILL want to keep them desperately :)

My T-46 is fully decked out and an AT-1 killed me in one shot. OUCH, I didn't think that could happen.

Got 5 kills in a game yesterday, slaughtering MS1's and T-26 tanks in my T-46. Fun game to play. I cycle between 3, now 4, different tanks.

Tank Destroyers, when played well with a semi-coordinated team, are effing lethal. The mere sight of a Ferdinand or a JagdTiger makes my bottom clench and I'm already looking for that hit of cover that saves me from an insta-kill, an insta-tracking or a good rollicking.

I didn't think an AT-1 could 1 shot a T-46 with all upgrades without blowing out your ammo rack (which will blow up any tank instantly)

Sometimes whilst playing World of Tanks it reminds me of Company of Heroes when you'd take a lighter British or American tank and run it around the German Tank Destroyer of evil.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006

The point is, stay in your tank to get your crew up to 100%. Don't just transfer a shitty crew.

PlasmaBomb

Lifer
Nov 19, 2004

Don't bother training them to 75% but do transfer them (and spend the 20k then).

Bringing the crew across results in them having a higher total exp, higher rank, and more medals which results in them gaining the difference more quickly.

The relationship between xp and crew competency is non-linear -

If I train someone straight to 75% they have 0 xp and need to reach say 65k for 100%

If I carry over someone who is 70% (16k xp) and pay to bring them to 75%, they only need an additional 49k rather than a full 65k and they should get to 80% faster than the noob crew.

If you do it tier 2->3->4 you vastly reduce the grind to 100% crew.

Edit: Though as Nik suggests the secondary skills can save your life so if you are having fun on a tier, stick with it and maybe diversify a bit...

Last edited:

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Ok, sounds like I'll keep a light tank, a TD, and a SPG crew (needing to get & train medium and heavies when I start those classes).

Another skill think I noticed last night, all my crew except the commander have a rating when you hover over them of "## (visible skill% + some other number)".

What's giving this bonus?

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Ok, sounds like I'll keep a light tank, a TD, and a SPG crew (needing to get & train medium and heavies when I start those classes).

Another skill think I noticed last night, all my crew except the commander have a rating when you hover over them of "## (visible skill% + some other number)".

What's giving this bonus?

The Commander provides up to an 11% bonus to the skills of the members of the tank crew.

Crew can reach 100% + 11% Commander Bonus and +5% Ventilation (expensive upgrade)

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
That ventilation is one of the few that are worth it.

Ventilation, camo, and reload. That's what I'll have on all my tanks when I'm done spending money :p

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
That ventilation is one of the few that are worth it.

Ventilation, camo, and reload. That's what I'll have on all my tanks when I'm done spending money :p

Camo is only worth it if you sit still.. so primarily TD's and Arty...

Though it is apparently one of the very few unequippable 'special' items.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Correct. I sit still often enough to warrant a free shot on somebody who doesn't know I'm there yet. :twisted: