[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PlasmaBomb

Lifer
Nov 19, 2004
^ Yeah it needs an upgrade... on reserve gfx, don't want to buy anything till the HD6XXX series hits, the 460GTXs aren't as cheap in the UK as the US, you are still looking at £170-220 for the 1GB card which I would prefer (1920 x 1200 monitor) (damn you dollars to pounds conversions!).

Though it looks like the 768MB cards have started to catch up as you can get them for £140 now...

Edit: Internet has been stable for a bit... going to try again :)

Last edited:

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
I have two 768 GTX460's. Paid $400 for them back in july

Add JesusHChrist to your buddy list in-game, I'm playing as well

Last edited:

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Yeah I don't think all that much horsepower is needed from the GPU. I think there are some tweaks you can do outside the system but I haven't tried that yet.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
I have to say my system is kinda struggling at 1920x1080.... think it's my aging X2 6000+.

I get down into the low 20's frames at times and shoot up into the 60+'s at others.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
I'm playing as PlasmaBomb (as several have guessed)

ATOT channel created, password moomoo

Cool! I didn't even realize you could do that.

I joined. I'm not sure if it continues to silently log chat while you're in-game, though. If someone's having a conversation in that channel and you're in a match, I don't think you'll see any of the conversation that happened while you were in the match.

Same thing happens with private conversations (and why you and I didn't seem to chat earlier lol).

I'll put this in the OP

DarkForceRising

Apr 16, 2005
I'm starting to make it work, but damn if there is arty on the field for the love of all things don't stop. At all.

I'm just going to say that, as someone who plays a LOT of artillery, many of the shots I miss are from someone stopping randomly right as I take a shot. Most artillery are going to be leading you, and if you can throw that off...

Cool! I didn't even realize you could do that.

I joined. I'm not sure if it continues to silently log chat while you're in-game, though. If someone's having a conversation in that channel and you're in a match, I don't think you'll see any of the conversation that happened while you were in the match.

Same thing happens with private conversations (and why you and I didn't seem to chat earlier lol).

I'll put this in the OP

I asked a couple pages back if anyone made a chat channel.... It will log chat as long as you're in game, including anything that occurs while you're in a match. It will stay open until you close it, regardless of you exiting the game or not. Sometimes it even seems to log chat from slightly before you log on, as well.

PlasmaBomb

Lifer
Nov 19, 2004
I think the private chats were ok its just I kept dropping the connection, which killed the chat.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Yep! The crew I have now has been through 4 tanks. The tank commander has a thick solid gold stripe. The rest of the crew have 4 thin gold stripes.

I'm not sure if something else is causing it, but I moved 100% crew to an IS earlier, paid 20k each, and they dropped down to 80%. Eleven matches later, the crew had made 91%. :eek:

Apparently, the longer you keep the same crew, the faster they'll level up.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
The ATOT chatroom is awesome. Love it.

Played several matches with Sushicide in Tier 3's. I forgot what it's like to be in a tank that fast, it's fun as hell. :biggrin:

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Installing now from the 1.x GB full installer. Is it normal for this thing to take like 30 minutes to unpack when you run it?

NM, finally did something after about 30+ minutes :).

Well, it popped the "publisher cannot be verified" dialog and then went back to thrashing. Easily the longest install without any form of feedback that I have seen.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2005
well, i started playing, and i'm apparently terrible. it's hard hitting with rounds, and i do next to nothing for damage. i'm just trying to lvl now rather than improving my starter tank. btw, i'm Peter_Gunn.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
What are these strips for crew you are reffering to?

Yes, the install for this thing seems to hang/take forever to update while it's running. One of the few items I'd say needs immediate attention.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
This game is a lot more fun once you find the shift button. Taking out tanks right and left with artillery is a blast. I'm not progressing as fast as I'd like to, even with premium, but oh well. I'm using a SU-18, T26, and T46 as my tanks and the T26 is decked out and almost always near the top order of each match. I don't like using the 76 mm gun as it is not very accurate.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Sounds like an interesting game...

Quick question- does accuracy of your rounds depend 100&#37; on universal factors such as your mouse cursor aim, bullet drop (gravity) and perhaps weather (wind)? Or does your experience level or skill level of individual players factor in as well?

What about damage you do to other tanks? Is it solely depend on where you hit the target or does experience/skills factor in there too?

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Sounds like an interesting game...

Quick question- does accuracy of your rounds depend 100% on universal factors such as your mouse cursor aim, bullet drop (gravity) and perhaps weather (wind)? Or does your experience level or skill level of individual players factor in as well?

What about damage you do to other tanks? Is it solely depend on where you hit the target or does experience/skills factor in there too?

I believe there is bullet drop but no wind.

Your tank has a crew which has an experience level. 50% is the lowest and 100% is the highest. Certain factors such as accuracy are determined partly by the Gunner (or crew member who handles the cannon), the gun itself which has an accuracy rating (measured in something called Rounds Per Radius, I believe) and your own personal point and click skill.

Whether you deal damage is based upon Penetration Ratings of your gun (static number with a +30%/-30%factor), the damage rating of the gun (+30%/-30% again), the armour thickness of the enemy tank and the angle at which you hit it.

The penetration and damage system is not perfect and still has flaws I believe but it seems to be quite realistic in it's execution, even if I am not a tanker, scientist or remotely military.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
yep, bullet drop but no wind.

Don't get addicted to auto-tracking (right click).

Remember, even at your tightest reticle ring, you can still miss. Aim and wait for your reticle to shrink. The longer you wait, the more accurate you'll be.

Canun

Apr 1, 2006
I only get to play weekends usually, but I'll look for you guys online.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
I got two battles in last night after an install that took close to two hours after the download. On the third battle I started getting "server busy" and wasn't able to connect again. On the strength of the two fights I'm a little meh, but I'll give it another shot tonight. The game looks fine, and runs smoothly at 1920 x 1200 on my 250GTS, on 'very high' settings. The tanks look and sound great.

Couple of questions: is top-down the only tank-based fighting view? In tank sims I much prefer to be "in the tank" with the perspective of the crew (driver, gunner, commander). The god's eye view of the battlefield and the flashy targeting aids (focusing reticle, red blobs floating over enemy vehicles) are not what I expect in an early-era tank fight. I'd prefer iron sights and no unit plaques.

Is there any concept of a respawn, or are you out for the fight when disabled?

The maps also seem small, and battles seem to be over pretty quickly. Not that that's necessarily wrong from a sim standpoint, but it feels like a constrained shoot-em-up. More CoD than Battlefield, I guess.