[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
You know you can move crew between tanks, right? There's even a method to start them out much much higher than 50% when you transfer them, too.

yep, but they always contained "previous vehicle name here" specialty on them and didn't know how to change that or what game effect that would have since they moved on from that vehicle.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
yep, but they always contained "previous vehicle name here" specialty on them and didn't know how to change that or what game effect that would have since they moved on from that vehicle.

you can retrain them

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006

If you click the "current tank" button, it'll show you your options. Most of the time, if you're any significant amount higher than 50%, you can retrain them to just barely over 50% for free, to a higher amount for 20k, or 100% for 200 gold.

The 200g is never ever worth it.

The free is a joke. If you're going to be moving crew from one tank to another, don't bother unless it's worth it (60%+ on the free option).

What you SHOULD do is sell off all the crummy guys in your barracks (when you sell a tank, the crew doesn't get sold). Then buy your new tank. Then take the crew off your old tank. Then assign them to the new tank and pay the 20k/each on the transfered crew members.

Most of the time, in the higher tiers (tiers 1-3 this is pretty much a waste, so don't bother) you'll have your crew to 100% long before you'll have your tank maxed or enough money to buy the next tank you've already unlocked.

A 100% crew member will become an 86% crew member when you move them to the next tank. That's quite a bit better than 50% and 20k doesn't take long. Each % lower than 100 will lower the new tank's rating for that crew member. As an example, 99% may convert to 82% or so. Not sure on the numbers, exactly, but you get the idea.

If you start working on this as early as tier 3, you should have 100% and specialization by the time you reach tier 5. You should be well on your way to 2nd specialization by tier 6. Those specializations, like fire fighting or repair speed, etc., REALLY make a difference.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
OH!

NEED MONEY?

Did you know... all of the parts that you've purchased for previous tanks that weren't on the tanks when you sold them are still in your inventory?

When you're in your garage, click Depot near the top. This opens a new screen with several options on the left side. There are expand/colapse menus that allow you to finger through all the parts in your inventory. Tanks, modules (engine, track, radio, etc), ammo, etc.

Play with the options for each tab, but familiarize yourself with it.

Go through and sell the stuff you don't need.

You might find yourself considerably richer :)

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
So far... things are looking positive, except I'm feeling a bit of burnout at Tier 6. Just bought myself my good old T-26, going to have a play around with that in Tier 1-2 fights :D Hopefully get my crew up from 80/75/86%where they are now to 100% soon.

So I'm crazy.

Just purchased the Ventilation Upgrade (+5% crew skill) and the Spall Liner (-15% explosion and ramming damage) for my little T-26.

Having major fun when there's some flat, open space and no/noob artillery.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Got my PZIV yesterday, wow does this thing suck.

This tank is inferior in almost every way to the PZIII. You have worse(really) armor, PZIII is 80/30/50 or something, PZIV is 80/30/20 plus you have the same engine options which means the PIV is slow as balls.

So inferior armor, much less maneuverability and you're facing the same if not more powerful opposition. Only positive is that the T5 76mm is slightly better than the top PIII gun, but it's reload and accuracy are not nearly as good.

Overall I'm much less effective with this tank against the same opponents than I was in my PZIII. I'm really considering just muling my PZIII for experience to power through T4, it sucks that bad. I don't see how adding tons of weight for the larger turret and guns is going to help a whole lot either. You still won't be able to outduel any T5+'s and your speed will decrease even further.

PZIV needs another engine option at the very least.

PlasmaBomb

Lifer
Nov 19, 2004
I find it weird that the heavys have a 450-460m view range when the scouts have like 300m.

It means that a roving heavy will see you long before you see them and a stationary heavy will splat a light scout.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Well I'm just not starting to get into the tier 4 vehicles, so haven't had any crew long enough to give keeping them much value yet. I'll have to look into the specifics about retraining for their specced vehicle though as it looks like the xp pace will be slower now given how much more you need.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Got my PZIV yesterday, wow does this thing suck.

This tank is inferior in almost every way to the PZIII. You have worse(really) armor, PZIII is 80/30/50 or something, PZIV is 80/30/20 plus you have the same engine options which means the PIV is slow as balls.

So inferior armor, much less maneuverability and you're facing the same if not more powerful opposition. Only positive is that the T5 76mm is slightly better than the top PIII gun, but it's reload and accuracy are not nearly as good.

Overall I'm much less effective with this tank against the same opponents than I was in my PZIII. I'm really considering just muling my PZIII for experience to power through T4, it sucks that bad. I don't see how adding tons of weight for the larger turret and guns is going to help a whole lot either. You still won't be able to outduel any T5+'s and your speed will decrease even further.

PZIV needs another engine option at the very least.

Having just semi-dueled with a PzIV in my T-34, I have to say they are pretty close.

My T-34 is fully upgraded with Rammer and Ventilation upgrades. Crew are not 100% but 86/96/98/76 so i'm reasonably well drilled in T-34 combat and I was left on about 25% after my duel with this PzIV of unknown upgrade/crew quality.

During the fight I managed to track him but noticed my AP wasn't doing much good so switched to HE early on. I think I took a round to the tracks from an external, unknown source which tracked me for a short time, during which I was rather lucky and bounced two shots from the PzIV on my side.

It was an entertaining duel in which I often felt like it was going to be an extremely close thing... and in the end it almost could have been if not for those dings.

ivan2

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2000
www.heatware.com
how do u know if you bounced their shots?

im kinda having a regred of going the med tank route as a newbie. now I am doing much better in a T-34 with many games getting 10k credit each just following the main ganks or staying nearby the artillery waiting for the crunchies to come. and others close to. but man that BT-7 and A-20 days do suck balls.

Last edited:

PlasmaBomb

Lifer
Nov 19, 2004

im kinda having a regred of going the med tank route as a newbie. now I am doing much better in a T-34 with many games getting 10k credit each just following the main ganks or staying nearby the artillery waiting for the crunchies to come. and others close to. but man that BT-7 and A-20 days do suck balls.

You get a voice "That one ricocheted"

Kinda think that the A-20 sucks too... just need moar moneys for the T-34 myself :)

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002

Your crew says "That one bounced off" or "Ricochet" or "That one didn't go through"... something to that effect.

In close combat, you can actually see a ricochet animation, she shell bouncing off with sparks.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
ahh, I see where the confusion is. They say the same thing when my shots are bouncing off the heavy tanks.

Sorry, I mis-read.

You know if your tank is bouncing their shots if you hear your tank get hit but suffer no damage. The sound is similar to that of when your tank hits something and it bounces off them.

You should also notice a small rattle effect when they hit and bounce.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Just wanted to thank Nik and Elcs for starting the thread and for the help you guys have provided. I'm really glad that I stumbled onto this game, even though I complain a lot.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Just wanted to thank Nik and Elcs for starting the thread and for the help you guys have provided. I'm really glad that I stumbled onto this game, even though I complain a lot.

Nik started it so he should take the credit. I only joined the game then blogged about it :D

ayabe: If you need any assistance in the game, just add me to your Friends List and shoot me a PM. I have my World of Tanks client on 24/7 so it'll collect any messages and I can reply there or on here.

Same goes to anyone else who is playing.

In-game name is ElcomeSoft (also in the first post)

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
Currently Rolling with

Arty- Grille with upgraded gun (Actually can one shot people now)
TD- StugIII (The grind through being a hetz was TERRIBLE!
Tank- PZIII (I heard IV will suck)

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Here's my list:

SU76 - elite, no money for SU85B yet
PZII - Hate this tank with a passion, only still have because I want to unlock German lights and SPG's. Will probably end up transferring XP from one of my others, that's how much I hate this tank.
PZIII - Fast little sucker and overall my favorite vehicle. Once upgraded you can be a real terror even when facing ridiculous T7/8/9 vehicles. Great for scouting, decent survivability and a fast gun reload. Great for circling T4/T5's and given them death from a thousand cuts.
PZIV - Really do not like at all. I'm still not fully upgraded but as outlined earlier, IMHO a gimped PZIII with a slightly better gun. I might just sell this thing and go PIII/IV to get to Panthers. I'm not sure I really want heavies bad enough to suffer through this tier.

I think I would go for German TD's and Russian tanks if I had to do it all over again. Not really interested in SPG's, seems boring and a little cheesy(no offense to you SPG drivers :p)

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Currently Rolling with

Arty- Grille with upgraded gun (Actually can one shot people now)
TD- StugIII (The grind through being a hetz was TERRIBLE!
Tank- PZIII (I heard IV will suck)

Never ever upgrade the hetzer. lol. No upgrades will make it any better and will just make the horrible grind worse. Buckle down, crack open another beer, and strong arm your way right through to the stug.