[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Being the first to spot opposing team members (not just lighting them up later) gives you a big money boost. Upgrade the engine in your BT-7 first of all, then tracks. BT-7 is a scout, really.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Being the first to spot opposing team members (not just lighting them up later) gives you a big money boost. Upgrade the engine in your BT-7 first of all, then tracks. BT-7 is a scout, really.

Oh I know, it just isn't a capable enough tank to scout through what they match it up against. Its speed isn't THAT great and it really has poor maneuverability.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
There are two opinions on TD's:

1. People don't know how to use them and cry about getting owned.

2. People that look at the stats and know that something isn't quite right.

I fall into the latter category. Compared to tanks TD's have the same if not weaker guns, weaker armor, less mobility, more restricted view ranges, and are hideously expensive(esp the Ruskies) compared to the equivalent level of tank.

The very slight accuracy bonus just doesn't cut it against the major negatives, which almost seem to get worse as you get up the tree.

Yes you can do well, on certain maps and certain makeups, but if you deviate from that you're going to have a tough time. Especially in T3/4, you can't do any serious damage to anyone but light tanks and will get SPG'd if you reveal. Some of the maps just don't have a lot of good spots. Plus most of the tanks you will encounter can out range you.

Every single time I spot a JagdPanther, JagdTiger or Ferdinand when I'm in my T-34-85... the word "shit" repeats in my head over and over again because the players that have gotten that high seem to be extremely effective. It's like 'panic stations' as they will often track me in one shot and you're desperate for the repairs to happen or some artillery to smash their sniper cannon.

In mid-end matches where T4 to T7 tanks roam, I find Tank Destroyers to be a formidable opponent which I rarely best although 1v1 against anything up to and including the JagdPanther is a victory for me (unless I'm surprise attacked and tracked/so badly injured I'm taken out in the initial shot).

They don't need tweaking on the mid-end. Maybe they do need a low end boost or a high end boost though I can't tell because I was so awful in my AT-1 and I don't have a KV/IS or equivalent to compare the higher end TD's.

Oh I know, it just isn't a capable enough tank to scout through what they match it up against. Its speed isn't THAT great and it really has poor maneuverability.

The BT-7 is an awkward scout vehicle. Rather nippy but doesn't like turning very much but you need to get used to it. The A-20 is lightning fast, the fastest in the game, and doesn't turn very well either.

Both are awkward and unwieldy until you get used to them and you will be fine. Dodging and weaving in and out of enemy formations and then curse it's poor turning ability when you get up close and personal.

As far as scouts go, I hate the BT-22/BT-7, A-20 and Leopard because they are just so darn awkward to hit :D

Sweet! Just unlocked T-43 :cool:

Nice work... I just unlocked the 100mm gun on my T-34-85. Finding it to be very awkward to adjust to such a long reload time and not that impressed with the damage so far though I haven't had too much chance to use it effectively. Took a KV-3 down to 50% with two shots to it's frontal armour which was quite nice to see.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Eh... I still try to make broader sweeps around the entire enemy forces so I don't get caught in crossfire and parked heavies still don't seem to have much trouble tracking me. If I do make it past the heavies, even an indirect arty shot will still probably track me and then I'm definitely dead. I realize good scouts need the reduced ramming/explosion damage upgrade but I think that's like 500k and completely unrealistic at this point. Furthermore, heavies are about the only thing I can reliably hit cruising around at full speed and the BT7 has no way of penetrating their armor (hell I couldn't even pen a Sturm-whatever artillery), I've even tried repeated HE track shots on them just for the disable to no effect. I really don't think this tank should be paired against as high tiers as it is. At least the A20 will have a 76mm gun available which will vastly improve my options.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
More effective guns and better camo would be great for TD's. My complaints are also only from the Russian perspective, I haven't gone through the German one yet. There seem to be slightly less complaining from their side, plus the Stug/Hetzer's are a lot lower profile than the Russian equivalents so they're harder to hit.

The Devs seem to lean more towards historical accuracy than tier equivalence so there may be a few tiers where you're just gimped and will have to fight through it. Tweaking the matchmaking may be the silver bullet for the bulk of these types of complaints.

If I'm in the lower 1/3rd of the team ranking I'm almost certain to be not much of a threat to anyone. This is true with any class; just got my Pz III the other day, hopped into my first match and am surrounded by Tiger's, King Tigers, IS-X's, etc. Come on man! Yeah there was a Pz III on the other team with a fully upgraded tank, and his ass didn't have any business being in that match either.

Last edited:

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Have a few more matches in my pz3a and then I'll need to start leveling a new vehicle. Have the money/unlocks for either a marder 2, wespe, or pz3.

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
Does anyone know if this game is going to run off the micro transaction system like DDO or LOTRO or will it be a monthly subscription model? The Gold makes me think it will be micro transaction, which I am ALL for.

ivan2

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2000
www.heatware.com
i am about half way on the last upgrade until I can unlock the T-34. I don't find the 76mm gun on A20 effective in a powerleveling perspective. the reload is slower, it takes a long time before the accuracy will go up, it rendered the tank to become either a sniper (a TD does it much better for less $$) or a close quarter artillery ambush vehicle, but at Tier 4, 1 shot from that gun can't kill anything, and with the 5 second reload time I'm dead before i can get another shot out (which will also likely miss).

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Does anyone know if this game is going to run off the micro transaction system like DDO or LOTRO or will it be a monthly subscription model? The Gold makes me think it will be micro transaction, which I am ALL for.

Free with microtransaction. I believe this is covered earlier in the thread.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
IMHO, this game blows. Sure it has a lot of customization options, but it's all a waste, because of stupid, retarded matchmaking system, and a deathmatch style maps.

Where is the strategy? Where is the battlemap? WTF? This is supposed to be a tank game, but I feel like I'm playing a simple FPS. Tanks are not supposed to go head on onto each other in huge groups like this. Every battle is decided purely by attrition, and only the strongest survive. In RL it wasnt liek this at all. Two shermans could flank a better german tank and defeat it due to strategy and tactics. In this game the better german armor will almost always win no matter what.

Also, what's up with pitting newbies agains veterans? I found myself joining games over and over again with newbie russian tanks just to find myself slaughtered over and over again by superior, upgraded german counterparts. What was I even doing fighting agains impossible odds? I ragequit off course! I have better ways to use my time than to fight an uphill battle hoping to get enough exp and money to upgrade/buy better tanks. Shit... I rather use this same time I would use on grinding in WoT on other games or even my college studies.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
ibex333

Whilst the matchmaking system is a little awkward at times, pitting Tier 3-4 tanks against Tier 9's and Tier 10's... I simply cannot agree that German tanks are all superior to Russian tanks...

You seem to have your counties mixed up. The Russians have the superior Heavy, Medium and SPG line of tanks. Germans win out on the Lights and TD's.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006

$10 will get you about 2400-2500 gold which is enough for a month's worth of premium.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
IMHO, this game blows. Sure it has a lot of customization options, but it's all a waste, because of stupid, retarded matchmaking system, and a deathmatch style maps.

Where is the strategy? Where is the battlemap? WTF? This is supposed to be a tank game, but I feel like I'm playing a simple FPS. Tanks are not supposed to go head on onto each other in huge groups like this. Every battle is decided purely by attrition, and only the strongest survive. In RL it wasnt liek this at all. Two shermans could flank a better german tank and defeat it due to strategy and tactics. In this game the better german armor will almost always win no matter what.

Also, what's up with pitting newbies agains veterans? I found myself joining games over and over again with newbie russian tanks just to find myself slaughtered over and over again by superior, upgraded german counterparts. What was I even doing fighting agains impossible odds? I ragequit off course! I have better ways to use my time than to fight an uphill battle hoping to get enough exp and money to upgrade/buy better tanks. Shit... I rather use this same time I would use on grinding in WoT on other games or even my college studies.

I get a kick out of people like you. You think you should have some major advantage over folks who've been playing for months and you jump up and down redfaced throwing a temper tantrum when you're not king of the hill.

I'm not even going to bother explaining anything to you.

Whine more and rage quit, then. Go be irrational somewhere else.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
My name in game is Sasnak. I have an upgraded T26 right now and its fun to play.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Having some real ups and downs with play today.

Some 800-900 exp 17-22k hauls (without premium) and some absolutely dire accuracy with my 99% Gunner.

Hoping to see you Anandtechers there :)

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I get a kick out of people like you. You think you should have some major advantage over folks who've been playing for months and you jump up and down redfaced throwing a temper tantrum when you're not king of the hill.

I'm not even going to bother explaining anything to you.

Whine more and rage quit, then. Go be irrational somewhere else.

Not to defend him or anything, because I'm not, but come release time you'll be seeing a whole lot of complaints like this from the newbs signing up. Brace yourself for the onslaught. It'll be interesting to see what the developers do about it, if they do anything about it at all. Do they stick to their game plan or cater to the consumers? It'll be interesting to see.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Not to defend him or anything, because I'm not, but come release time you'll be seeing a whole lot of complaints like this from the newbs signing up. Brace yourself for the onslaught. It'll be interesting to see what the developers do about it, if they do anything about it at all. Do they stick to their game plan or cater to the consumers? It'll be interesting to see.

IF it stays as it is, I agree.

The 0.5.51 patch is coming tomorrow allegedly so we should see some minor improvements there.

The 0.6.x patch is supposed to be two weeks after that which is supposed to fix warping tanks and introduce the American Tech Tree.

The Devs seem to be moving forward, albeit a little slowly. I wish they'd reattach the EU server so we didn't have so much lag/drops at peak times and lower pings for the EU guys like me :)

So far... things are looking positive, except I'm feeling a bit of burnout at Tier 6. Just bought myself my good old T-26, going to have a play around with that in Tier 1-2 fights :D Hopefully get my crew up from 80/75/86%where they are now to 100% soon.

Crew on my T-34-85 have just hit 100/100/93/99/100%... hooked up with a 100mm D10T, Medium Tank Shell Rammer (-10% load time) and Ventilation Improvements (+5% crew skill), things are looking up for the little tank that could punch a hole in an IS-7 (albeit a small one)

Scouzer

Lifer
Jun 3, 2001
PZ3 AUSF... PZ3.. PZ4... all no fun. the middle tiers suck nads. it sucks how they dump you in a PZ3 ausf to fight king tigers.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
PZ3 AUSF... PZ3.. PZ4... all no fun. the middle tiers suck nads. it sucks how they dump you in a PZ3 ausf to fight king tigers.

This. I don't even really have a problem with Tigers blowing these tanks away, but the fact that no matter what you do you can't even score a decent penetration is what makes it absolutely no fun. They need to make it so that repeated hits to the same armor hitbox will yield greater effect or something, because when I'm popping off a 76mm at a heavy tank and at most it does 1% every time it gets frustrating. Even repeated 122m artillery shells to the top tier heavies over and over end up doing only 3% every time. I'm not saying lower tiers should be effective, per se, but if they're going to make them fight each other they at least need a role.

I think map design is also problematic. Heavy tanks are basically big laser guns and you have absolutely no way to maneuver around them most of the time. The base flags all need to be in from the edge of the map significantly more to actually make some room for flanking, and given current radio ranges, the maps should probably be twice as big as they are now for a 16v16. The lack of room to maneuver coupled with obscene heavy accuracy completely neutralizes any advantages lighter faster tanks have.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
I've never had a crew more than just into the low 60's yet.

You know you can move crew between tanks, right? There's even a method to start them out much much higher than 50% when you transfer them, too.