[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 72 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Its set up like a MMO when it comes to grinding. In this case it tops out at Level 10 instead of Level 50 or whatever. No one likes to have long grinds. Thats a given. As far as the tier match ups goes it was worse back in beta at one point. I remember when no one liked the KV or KV3. They got raped constantly and everyone complained. They seem to be doing pretty good now though.

I've noticed at night during prime time everyone is now playing their heavies. Thats when I jump into my Lowe as well. Its the biggest baddest tank I have currently. I lose fights but at least i make money. More than I can say for my other tanks in those heavy tank battles. My poor fully upgraded Tiger gets ripped up bad and early and nothing much to show for it. During the afternoon though it gets into more balanced fights. I can't wait to get a few Tier 8+ tanks to compare them all first hand. If I can ever get my poor little tanks up in level. I'm playing in too many lines right now though so leveling is slow.

Update: New personal cred record. 116,037!

Last edited:

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
so the best gun for the DB is the 88 from the vk3001p? i can't damage shit as it is LOL
oh man

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
Prime example: Bought a PzIII this morning. I carried over the best possible gun from the PzIII A, but it's just a little 5cm thing. Barely capable of damaging tier 4 opponents, forget about anything bigger. First match, I'm tossed into a tier 7 game.

Try being in a stock KV against a tier 9... Just had my KV against somebody in an object 704. Ridiculous.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Try being in a stock KV against a tier 9... Just had my KV against somebody in an object 704. Ridiculous.

KV with 107. I penetrated an Object 704 in the front, bounced his BL-10 (wtf? I know! :D) then penetrated him again... before his friend owned me.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
i'm about 4k away from the DB, im not sure i want to get it as it was such a grind on the 3001p, i may go try arty again or something else, i'm so behind if i want to go german heavy as i like the tiger II, i feel i should just continue until i have my panther since i'm only 2 away from it now

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
The game really is fundamentally flawed in the mid levels.

Tiers 1-3 are ok, you're pretty much always competitive and mostly get lower level, evenly matched games. Tier 8+ again is ok. Even with stock equipment you can usually damage anyone you meet.

Tier 4-7 though... you're thrown again exponentially tougher tanks, and when you upgrade (even if you bring over a few upgraded components) you're so hopelessly outmatched that you can't contribute anything until grind your way to a much better gun. And since you can't contribute anything, you can't earn any decent amount of xp, so that grind is long and unpleasant.

Prime example: Bought a PzIII this morning. I carried over the best possible gun from the PzIII A, but it's just a little 5cm thing. Barely capable of damaging tier 4 opponents, forget about anything bigger. First match, I'm tossed into a tier 7 game. I was averaging about 350 xp per game on the PzIII A, to now probably about 90 per game on the PzIII. And this is with premium.

It was much the same in the US line, though the real pain started with the T1 Heavy. Every battle on it was painful, and I ended up buying my way through most of it with converted xp from my Lowe. The M6 was just as painful and terrible as the T1 until a finally got the 90mm M3 gun unlocked.

Ultimately if they don't do something to improve this it may really hurt the game in the long run. Just when they should be trying to really suck people in, they instead introduce them to a painful grind.

Tier 4 and 5 are the worst for the grind because you get tossed into games with IS-3s, IS-4s and King tigers with nothing to defend yourself. Get the 75mm(might have the caliber wrong) derp gun on the P3 and just run around blasting everyone with HE rounds. I used to run a P3 back in beta so I know how it goes, but usually I can get a pretty decent amount of exp just by being a pest (400+). It was so enjoyable I even kept it around. You can damage all the american and german vehicles up to tier 6 with the derp gun, even the heavies.

Also if you think tier 8+ is ok, you've never driven a stock panther II. guess what gun it has? I'll give you a hint: its not an 88, and you need the tracks + turret first.

And for the T1 and M6... well, that goes without saying.

Punter

Jul 21, 2006
I wish there was a limit to the amount of tank destroyers in each match. Often end up facing teams with 3 or more td's than we have and it is really tough to win (especially if there is no artillery).

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
i wish they limited the amount of arty's in the game, i've been in several where there were 6 arty's on a side, needless to say it was a campfest

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
Get the 75mm(might have the caliber wrong) derp gun on the P3 and just run around blasting everyone with HE rounds.

Yep, here is my best match in the Panzer III:
http://www.personal.psu.edu/emr131/wot/shot_006.jpg

Killed all the enemy arty, hit 100% of my shots including 3 at full speed and the Panzer IV was a flyby shot before I entered the enemy base. I pissed off the enemy something fierce, and got major congratulations from my team!

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Tier 4 and 5 are the worst for the grind because you get tossed into games with IS-3s, IS-4s and King tigers with nothing to defend yourself. Get the 75mm(might have the caliber wrong) derp gun on the P3 and just run around blasting everyone with HE rounds. I used to run a P3 back in beta so I know how it goes, but usually I can get a pretty decent amount of exp just by being a pest (400+). It was so enjoyable I even kept it around. You can damage all the american and german vehicles up to tier 6 with the derp gun, even the heavies.

Also if you think tier 8+ is ok, you've never driven a stock panther II. guess what gun it has? I'll give you a hint: its not an 88, and you need the tracks + turret first.

Panther II can start with the 8.8cm L/71. Not too bad with a good RoF.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
I must've been thinking of the panther. Doesn't that one start with a 75mm?

I think the PII starts with the 8.8 L/56 but you can hook it up with the 8.8 L/71 from the Panther immediately, no unlocks needed.

The Panther starts with the 7.5cm L/70 and needs the tracks and turret to get the 8.8cm L/56 then the lovely 8.8cm L/71. I didn't find it painful at all but I hear people have issues.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
Its set up like a MMO when it comes to grinding. In this case it tops out at Level 10 instead of Level 50 or whatever. No one likes to have long grinds. Thats a given.

The grind really isn't terrible in length (IMO) and the presence of the grind itself isn't unexpected. The problem is that large parts of the grind are totally not fun at all. You just get a tank fully upgraded and start enjoying it, then have to go back to grinding in total suckage again. It'd be like if WoW/fantasy type MMOs reset all your skills and took away your gear every 5 or 10 levels and made you start over.

I think what they really need to do is a system that weights your tier based on how you're equipped. Say a totally stock KV might be rated as something like a tier 4.5, so it would get more lower level games. But a fully upgraded KV with the 107 might be a tier 6.25, and tossed into higher level games.

I think I have all the upgrades on the Pz3 now except the top radio. Haven't really played it much though. Too busy grinding towards the T29.

Haven't played any meds beyond tier 6 (? T-34-85) so I'll take you're word for it.

Surprisingly, the fully upgraded M6 is a halfway decent and relatively fun tank. Mine actually bounced a shot from an IS-4 a few days ago. :D I'd definitely keep it as a moneymaker if I hadn't bought a Lowe.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
The grind really isn't terrible in length (IMO) and the presence of the grind itself isn't unexpected. The problem is that large parts of the grind are totally not fun at all. You just get a tank fully upgraded and start enjoying it, then have to go back to grinding in total suckage again. It'd be like if WoW/fantasy type MMOs reset all your skills and took away your gear every 5 or 10 levels and made you start over.

I think what they really need to do is a system that weights your tier based on how you're equipped. Say a totally stock KV might be rated as something like a tier 4.5, so it would get more lower level games. But a fully upgraded KV with the 107 might be a tier 6.25, and tossed into higher level games.

:hmm: I thought they did it by tier AND weight. The more upgrades you add the more your tank weighs. I've wondered if this is why my KV is sometimes matched against a KV3. When I run up to the ones I am matched against they seem to have more stock components (My KV is fully upgraded). Could just be my imagination though.

On a funny side note I had a very interesting experience as a leopard last night. As usual I was paired with high tier tanks and the match was a slow grind. The match ended up with it being just 100% health me vs ~95% Jagdtiger after everyone else was dead

An M6 had been kind enough to die in the spawn area on the map with that center island. I knew the Jagdtiger was by their spawn area. I hid behind the M6 in the cap. Many shots hit the side of the M6 but the carcas did a perfect job of protecting me. The TD had to come over to try and kill me or lose. Long story short (it seemed like that cap ticker took forever as the shots clanged against the side of the M6), at first I could just move slightly and keep the M6 between us but as he got closer we played the merry dance of me hiding behind him as he tried to turn and get a bead on me

We ended up winning as I was able to cap without him ever being able to hit me! :awe:

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
:hmm: I thought they did it by tier AND weight. The more upgrades you add the more your tank weighs. I've wondered if this is why my KV is sometimes matched against a KV3. When I run up to the ones I am matched against they seem to have more stock components (My KV is fully upgraded). Could just be my imagination though.

On a funny side note I had a very interesting experience as a leopard last night. As usual I was paired with high tier tanks and the match was a slow grind. The match ended up with it being just 100% health me vs ~95% Jagdtiger after everyone else was dead

An M6 had been kind enough to die in the spawn area on the map with that center island. I knew the Jagdtiger was by their spawn area. I hid behind the M6 in the cap. Many shots hit the side of the M6 but the carcas did a perfect job of protecting me. The TD had to come over to try and kill me or lose. Long story short (it seemed like that cap ticker took forever as the shots clanged against the side of the M6), at first I could just move slightly and keep the M6 between us but as he got closer we played the merry dance of me hiding behind him as he tried to turn and get a bead on me

We ended up winning as I was able to cap without him ever being able to hit me! :awe:

Actually the modules/gear no longer factor into your matchmaking. I think each individual tank is weighted by its class (heavy, medium, light, etc) and it is matched up against a 4 tier spread. (unless you're t9 or t10, in which case its just 2 tier spread if i'm not wrong). The opposing team would have the same "weight" as you, and mediums now weight more in the equation.

Also yeah.... had a similar experience with my ferdinand back in beta. I can only imagine the jagdtiger is much worse in both turning and acceleration. :)

PlasmaBomb

Lifer
Nov 19, 2004
Yes, weight used to play a role in matchmaking - and I think it was at least partly responsible for noobs (Tier 1 or 2) ending up where they weren't supposed to, as the matchmaker looked for a light tank to "balance" the teams...

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
that's still the case. It used to be noobs were randomly assigned to big brawls due to the weighting system with the modules and all.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
oh i thought noobs ending up in higher tier matches was due to platooning

Matchmaking goes like this: the highest tier tank in the platoon sets the stage for what kind of match the platoon gets in to.

If you and your buddy are rolling in your IS3's and the 3rd wheel in the group has an MS1 readied up, guess what? The MS1 is going to see IS7's and T54's.

If you're not in a platoon, the match maker decides based on what upgrades you've done to your tank and what extra modules you have installed (like crew ventilation, etc). The more good stuff you have bolted to your chassis, the higher tier match you're going to make it into.

However, there IS a ceiling. If you're rolling by yourself in a tier 5, you will almost never be put into a match with tier 10's. It's usually around a 3 tier difference between the lowest tank in the list and the highest tank in the list.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
i'm liking this IS grind
i was on the fence between getting the DB or IS
glad im on the IS right now

is the recommended upgrade path, tracks - turret - gun - engine?
i have used the 100mm from the start thanks to unlocking it on the KV-3
i can't imagine using the 85 as it wouldn't pen jack shit

Last edited:

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
i'm liking this IS grind
i was on the fence between getting the DB or IS
glad im on the IS right now

is the recommended upgrade path, tracks - turret - gun - engine?
i have used the 100mm from the start thanks to unlocking it on the KV-3
i can't imagine using the 85 as it wouldn't pen jack shit

For the IS, you got it spot on. When it comes time for gun, Slap on the 107 or the faster firing 122 --though it's been almost a year since I was in an IS so I could be wrong about the "faster firing" version of the 122. IIRC, the IS has two 122mm guns and the last one has more RPM. If I'm mistaken, I'd still suggest sticking with the 122. You're not a scout, so play defensively, but you should be able to really fuck shit up with the 122.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
yea the 2nd 122 is a hair faster firing , i have to unlock it anyways as it's needed on the is-3, the 100 isn't that bad, im able to do some damage except against 9 and 10s, unless i hit side/back