[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 59 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
This is how I felt when I first got the VK3601. I got the first upgraded engine and things got a little better in the movement catagory and I'm sure when I get the second one it'll zip with another 100 extra hp. I think the 8.8cm is the one that only does 65dam but retarded penetration. I've never used it as the damage just seemed way to low. I can't access game stuff where I'm currently at, but does the panther have the gun thats 138ish pen and 110 damage with around 10 or 15 (going off memory) rounds/min? Thats the one I use on the VK and I have no problems hurting an IS-3 across the map (just don't shoot the turret).

When snipping always aim for the tracks or back end of the tank if possible that way you have higher chances of tracking the tank, fire, engine damage, or ammo rack hit. Nothing more enjoyable than watching a heavy burn away life after your first hit.

Can't wait to get the extra mobility in. If I get caught now, I'm sunk... especially with no repair skill in the crew.

The 8.8cm L/71 is a ~200mm penetration, 220 damage, ~8rpm gun. You're thinking of the 7.5cm, 132mm pen, 15rpm, 100ish damage and the 8.8cm L/46? with 132mm penetration, 10rpm and 220 damage.

The penetration is high enough to blast through an IS-3 from most angles including the front and the turret, but the damage and rounds per minute are low, even with a maxed crew and rammer. v.0.6.4.0 definitely brings in a rounds per minute buff so hopefully things will even out a bit more on that front.

As for aiming, my T23 and Pershing are lovely in the fact that I can use someone to distract my target and blast in with a mudguard shot (often tracks with damage) and then zip around the back to their engine compartment. With the Panther, the best I can try and do is to give them that front mudguard shot and spin them around a bit to let them take side hits. Knowing the weakspots of the top tanks is also an advantage.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I had a the SU-85 and KV in beta. Really want the SU-100 for credit grinding and the KV for the free garage spot.

The Panther is sluggish, turns almost like a heavy and does not seem to bounce a lot. The suited playstyle should be a supporting sniper role as the 8.8cm L/71 is brutal for penetration but has a low rate of fire and low damage. I'm too used to the T20/T23 playstyle which makes you have to get up close and personal to penetrate anything. With high camo skill,net and binocs, I can sit and spot but I hugely miss doing the shooting too. I feel like I want to be on the front lines but know that the Panther is more like the KV with 107mm.

Heavies? Played the T29 and T32 in closed beta but they didn't excite me much. Bounces lots, does nice damage but too slow and feel oh so vulnerable.

I think the panther handles a lot better with the good engines. I remember my friend bitching until he got those 2 engines. Then it handles much better.... I seem to recall this problem with a lot of the german tanks (damn you ferdinand...)

If you like knife-fighting with heavies (as opposed to being a huge AT gun via t-29 and t-32), you can try the IS series. They're fast and nimble for a heavy, fairly decent for dog fights. Not as agile as mediums but hey, you can't have everything.

Liet

Golden Member
Jun 9, 2001
You do not need to pay at all to be competitive. The grind will take longer but you will have the same IS-7 or MAUS that other people have. There's absolutely no need to spend money if you don't feel the need.
This is true, but with a $40 tank coming in the next patch, don't you wonder whether they'll make it OP to justify the ridiculous price for a TANK in an online game?

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
I think the panther handles a lot better with the good engines. I remember my friend bitching until he got those 2 engines. Then it handles much better.... I seem to recall this problem with a lot of the german tanks (damn you ferdinand...)

If you like knife-fighting with heavies (as opposed to being a huge AT gun via t-29 and t-32), you can try the IS series. They're fast and nimble for a heavy, fairly decent for dog fights. Not as agile as mediums but hey, you can't have everything.

I really hope so. ~8k to go for the first one of the two.

The IS series might be something I'll explore later but from experience of shooting the nonsense out of the, I'd only ever be happy with the IS-4. Saying that, I'll be heading towards the KV-3 just for the extra garage slot (if I make it) and picking up the KV-1S because I roll that way... so it's not totally inconceivable.

This is true, but with a $40 tank coming in the next patch, don't you wonder whether they'll make it OP to justify the ridiculous price for a TANK in an online game?

So far, all 'real money costing tanks' are underpowered for their respective tiers. More powerful than stock but less powerful than fully upgraded.

I do not see Wargaming.net changing this trend.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
wow i just unlocked the kv-3
did not know it was over 1 mil just for this crap
the IS isn't that much more, how lame

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Been grinding away on the M4. Not enjoying it because of its weak armor and weak 76mm gun. Then someone in game suggested I try the 105mm gun instead. Its a slow reload and not very accurate but when it hits WoW! Actually able to do some serious damage now. I thought I wouldn't like its slow reload but its not very bad. What irks me the most is its accuracy. Medium and long range shots mostly miss. Get up close though and KAPOW! So far my impressions of American tanks in this game are that their guns mostly suck and their armor weak.

Finally bought the German 3001P. At stock its a slow horrible tank. I have the 88mm gun on it now and its doing better. Not sure if I want to invest in the better engines. They don't get used in the next tank so I may just live with its slower movement speed and save the xp to get out of it sooner. I don't plan on keeping the tank anyway once I go onto the next one.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Internet is supposed to be down all day today. Just got my 2nd best Panther engine so that might be more fun to play.

I really need to step up and get my SU-85 and my KV. I need that credit grinder :d

Spoke to Red Shirt yesterday. v.0.6.4.0 is coming next week.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
I"m about halfway to the KV-3 xp and credit wise. I'll most likely be able to get it before the patch hits(assuming its not till next week). I still have another 40k xp or so to grind through on my VK3601 though to get the tiger.

I had 2 games yesterday where I got 6 kills with my KV. I love getting the top gun medals and banking around 35K credits.

I also took part in one of the worst mismatched games I've even been in. It was that map that is basically just an open field seperating the two sides. My side had 3 heavies (me in the KV) and the other side didn't have any heavies at all. Some guy pointed this out before the match started and we basically just rushed right across the field. I ended up with 3 kills and another heavy with 6. My team lost only 2 tanks and the match was over in less than 5 minutes.

I really wish my crew would tell me what component I damaged when I hit an enemy tank. I also hate that sometimes I'll hit a tank, my crew will say "critical hit" but the hit didn't do any damage. I would definately use an add-on slot and pay for an add-on that gave me the status of the enemy tank I was shooting at.

how do I tell my team what tank I"m attacking? I've looked up the button, but it doesn't do anything when I hover my cursor over a tank and press it. I've seen people use it, and its very usefull in getting your group to focus a single tank of a group.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
damn next week, guess ill buy the kv-3 then haha
for the calling out the target thing its T+fire, i know i only said "i'm attacking xxxx"
after i pressed fire, i don't think it works just buy putting the crosshair
over them.

i was able to earn about 400k last night using only the su85 and kv, so
the credits are there to earn with these 2 tanks. i should be able to purchase
my kv-3 today, and the su-100 by end of the weekend

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
damn next week, guess ill buy the kv-3 then haha
for the calling out the target thing its T+fire, i know i only said "i'm attacking xxxx"
after i pressed fire, i don't think it works just buy putting the crosshair
over them.

well it definately doesn't work if you just put the crosshairs over them I can tell you that.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
I"m about halfway to the KV-3 xp and credit wise. I'll most likely be able to get it before the patch hits(assuming its not till next week). I still have another 40k xp or so to grind through on my VK3601 though to get the tiger.

I really wish my crew would tell me what component I damaged when I hit an enemy tank. I also hate that sometimes I'll hit a tank, my crew will say "critical hit" but the hit didn't do any damage. I would definately use an add-on slot and pay for an add-on that gave me the status of the enemy tank I was shooting at.

how do I tell my team what tank I"m attacking? I've looked up the button, but it doesn't do anything when I hover my cursor over a tank and press it. I've seen people use it, and its very usefull in getting your group to focus a single tank of a group.

The next patch does NOT change the tech trees at all. Plenty of time before that starts happening which is why I'm not panicked over my KV/KV-3 or Panther II.

That would be handy. I'd love to know if I'd hit an ammo rack or driver etc but possibly too fiddly and OP. The most wanted feature here would be whether I exploded their ammo rack :)

Press 'T' whilst hovering over your target. It's not great but it works.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
The next patch does NOT change the tech trees at all. Plenty of time before that starts happening which is why I'm not panicked over my KV/KV-3 or Panther II.

That would be handy. I'd love to know if I'd hit an ammo rack or driver etc but possibly too fiddly and OP. The most wanted feature here would be whether I exploded their ammo rack :)

Press 'T' whilst hovering over your target. It's not great but it works.

you can at least tell when you've hit an ammo rack b/c you do alot more damage than normal. I'm not sure it would be OP if you had to buy an add-on though.

I was in a game the other day and the first few shots I recieved on my VK3601 my driver and gunner got injured and my ammo rack was damage. I still survived the match amazingly, but it was quite a horrible experience trying to do anything with my tank. It was just as bad as when I was on my KV with a hurt driver and damaged engine and tracks.

wheresmybacon

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
if you want to get in the thick of battles, go russian heavies line. If you want to snipe go german, or I guess any line of tank destroyers. If you want a challenge go american. If you want to be bored to tears waiting for your gun to reload and aim, go artillery.

The KV is a great tank to make credits, so you should at least go the russian line to get that tank. Otherwise try out everything and see what playstyle you like. I personally haven't truly hated any tank except artillery and my first german TD (the later ones are much better).

crew training makes a big difference, so once you get tier 3/4 pay the 20k per crew to train them to 75%.

use HE ammo when shooting at tanks your AP ammo can't reliably damage

stay with a group, you'll live longer.

you get xp/credits based off the damage you do, not kills. You also get xp/credits from spotting enemies, defending your base, and capturing the enemy base. You get substantially more xp when your team wins a match, but I dont think it has any effect on credits (not 100% sure, just seems that way, although if you live you dont have to pay as much in repairs).

I'm going to start playing tonight after work. Thanks for the tips. What in particular is challenging about the Americans?

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Lastly the maps... when i see campinova and noone is up for waiting 2 mins then rushing across i quit. I quit with some of those desert maps and im not massively keen on the map with the island in the middle of it either.
Quitting the battle as soon as it starts just because you don't care for the map is NOT cool. Every time you do it you're effectively screwing your team out of one tank, making it that much harder for them to win.

Try to be more of a team player and make the best of map you're given.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Quitting the battle as soon as it starts just because you don't care for the map is NOT cool. Every time you do it you're effectively screwing your team out of one tank, making it that much harder for them to win.

Try to be more of a team player and make the best of map you're given.

I play for fun. I will not play that map unless the team do the rush across after 2 minutes tactic. Its boring as hell sitting in a bush or behind a wrecked building for 15 minutes, plus have you tried climbing that hill in a KV3 or any heavy for that matter? Its ridiculous.

I will continue to do as i please until they fix/remove the map. My enjoyment is paramount.

Liet

Golden Member
Jun 9, 2001
So far, all 'real money costing tanks' are underpowered for their respective tiers. More powerful than stock but less powerful than fully upgraded.

I do not see Wargaming.net changing this trend.

For the most part, yeah. I know the Hotchkiss is absolutely brutal at lower tiers, and it seems most folks on the forum agree (It's getting a tier change soon, supposedly). I feel like I'm exploiting when I use it, man. :)

I finally feel rather useful now that I've picked up a Panzer IV with the long 75mm gun. I have some semblance of armor, YAY!

Also, the Hetzer has the best innate camo of the German TDs, so I've found it's actually rather fun to scoot around lategame and hunt arty with it. They disintegrate after a shot or two, hehehe.

Hey Elcs, are you up to platoon sometime? My name ingame is Armor (Can you believe that wasn't taken? lol), anyone should feel free to add me. We can rock triple Hotchkiss', ehhehe!

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
I'm going to start playing tonight after work. Thanks for the tips. What in particular is challenging about the Americans?

For the most part they just aren't as powerful as a same tiered russian or german tank. Its the reason you dont' see alot of them in battles.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
For the most part, yeah. I know the Hotchkiss is absolutely brutal at lower tiers, and it seems most folks on the forum agree (It's getting a tier change soon, supposedly). I feel like I'm exploiting when I use it, man. :)

I finally feel rather useful now that I've picked up a Panzer IV with the long 75mm gun. I have some semblance of armor, YAY!

Also, the Hetzer has the best innate camo of the German TDs, so I've found it's actually rather fun to scoot around lategame and hunt arty with it. They disintegrate after a shot or two, hehehe.

Hey Elcs, are you up to platoon sometime? My name ingame is Armor (Can you believe that wasn't taken? lol), anyone should feel free to add me. We can rock triple Hotchkiss', ehhehe!

Ah yes the Hotchkiss, the exception to the rule. Forgot about that one!

I know what you mean there. My Panther has the 8.8cm L/71 so now, for the first time in the German tree, I feel like I can damage anaything that's my tier. I've been handing some IS-3's their backsides at 400m+ with the high accuracy and abusing camo bonuses.

AFAIK, the JagdPanzerIV has the best innate camo of the German TD's. All I know is, the Hetzer was my favourite TD in the German line and I played up to near-Elite JagdPanther.

Liet... you might find that difficult. You're on the wrong server ;)

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
For the most part they just aren't as powerful as a same tiered russian or german tank. Its the reason you dont' see alot of them in battles.

that's odd, i see tons of american heavies, t29's especially

coolest looking tank in game, looks like an alien

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001

Not really. T-29 is absolutely beastly, and I'm terrified of their larger cusins as well. Just that the T1 and M6 are a chore...

Nothing hurts more than an american heavy, and if its hulled down its nigh impregnable. Actually, I see a ton of american tanks in my games, and they are always a substantial presence. Only down side is they are big juicy arty targets, but same could be said for any big tanks and tank destroyers.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
it's the german mediums that piss me off LOL, even with pea shooters they still pen me