[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 450 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
su-122-44 is fun too.

Also fixed turret TDs aren't that bad. But you're treating yourself as more of a stationary gun emplacement than a pushing tank. For example you wouldn't be leading the charge in a JT (not that it's fast enough).

The russian TDs are more mobile and nimble but until you get to obj 704 they have 0 armor to speak of (though I get weird bounces on SU and ISU 152s sometimes)

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
I play most of my TDs as assault guns. The exception are the true snipers... the topless German line. My 704 is much further up paths than most think is a good idea. I am typically controlling mid in prohk for example in my TD's. They are lower to the ground so people can't peek and shoot them as much, while being great support tanks. I am not camping in the rear in anything that has some sort of armor.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
su-122-44 is fun too.

Also fixed turret TDs aren't that bad. But you're treating yourself as more of a stationary gun emplacement than a pushing tank. For example you wouldn't be leading the charge in a JT (not that it's fast enough).

The russian TDs are more mobile and nimble but until you get to obj 704 they have 0 armor to speak of (though I get weird bounces on SU and ISU 152s sometimes)

The bounces in the ISU is from them hitting the base of the turret. I try to waggle the front just as they shoot to force it to hit the central turret for a bounce. Just about anywhere else and tier 4's will pen you....

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
I play most of my TDs as assault guns. The exception are the true snipers... the topless German line. My 704 is much further up paths than most think is a good idea. I am typically controlling mid in prohk for example in my TD's. They are lower to the ground so people can't peek and shoot them as much, while being great support tanks. I am not camping in the rear in anything that has some sort of armor.

I'm the same way. I don't really like to sit back and snipe if I can avoid it. Plus, some of my TDS work really well as breaching instruments (JP E100, T95, E3).

On a different subject, I've developed a new method of play. Instead of trying to get a certain win percentage for the day, I set myself a goal of at least 2k WN8 before quitting. This is something I can directly affect, more easily than win percentage. Also gives me a nice goal. Makes things less frustrating when I get a run of donkey teams. Maybe I end up with a 48 percent win rate for the day, but if I have at least 2k WN8, I can feel satisfied.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
what about 30% w/r and 2k wn8? =) that happens to me all the time hahahah
Typically, if you last longer than the average pubbie, you can milk a lot of late game damage in a loss. Hence people getting monster WN8 games in defeats, whereas if your team rolls the opposing one your WN8 will be lower. It is one of the problems looking at specific games instead of overall.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
i think wn8 would be perfect if stupid WG would release the formula to calculate spotting damage. but there's no incentive as you can't depend on potato teammates to actually damage what you spot and you get no pts for it in wn8. it's flawed but it's the only thing we have right now.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
i think wn8 would be perfect if stupid WG would release the formula to calculate spotting damage. but there's no incentive as you can't depend on potato teammates to actually damage what you spot and you get no pts for it in wn8. it's flawed but it's the only thing we have right now.

You guys worry too much about stats. I just play each battle as they come and enjoy the fight. Yeah, I hate losing as much as the next guy but I do things to mix it up. There are ten tiers of tanks in this game and I'll play any one of them at a given time. Of course I been playing so damn long I got so many freaking tanks I can play any tier if something else isnt working to my favor. Sometimes you just have to fight on a different tier to enjoy the game. Oh, and I ignore the stats. Much less frustrating.

P.S. I only play pub matches and I dont belong to a clan so another reason I can ignore stats. Clans like high stat players.

Last edited:

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
You guys worry too much about stats. I just play each battle as they come and enjoy the fight. Yeah, I hate losing as much as the next guy but I do things to mix it up. There are ten tiers of tanks in this game and I'll play any one of them at a given time. Of course I been playing so damn long I got so many freaking tanks I can play any tier if something else isnt working to my favor. Sometimes you just have to fight on a different tier to enjoy the game. Oh, and I ignore the stats. Much less frustrating.

P.S. I only play pub matches and I dont belong to a clan so another reason I can ignore stats. Clans like high stat players.

I only play pub matches too and don't belong to a clan (well, technically I do but it's only two players, and the other one only gets on about once every 2 months).

It isn't about "worrying" about stats. Improving my stats is part of what makes the game fun for me. Being a better player and doing things to help ensure my team gets a win, and tracking my progress as I change my playstyle to get better.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
yea raising stats is the only thing to achieve really

i just don't get how the ENTIRE FUCKING TEAM can go hill on fiery salient, leaving me in my pershing and an afk is-3 @ spawn against 7 tanks coming down 1-2 line, CAN LOSE THEIR FLANK..... its 13v8......

shitty shitty night for me all around, can't buy a win

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
When I stopped loading XVM, stopped paying attention to my stats, I found enjoyment in this game again. At 25k battles it takes a LOT to move my stats in a significant manner. I either have to suiscout in tier 10s for a while to lower my stats or I have to pad in a triple platoon for a while to raise them.

I like platooning and bullshitting more than any other aspect of this game... although I just bought a TS server which I am configuring to support CW and tournaments. Next step is to start a clan and get enough players to do skirmishes.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
shitty event weekend is shitty, ill just get my 2x for the tanks im grinding and that's about it haha

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
doesn't sound too bad, I'm usually top 10 unless I'm playing arty. X3 tank bonus is also something i'm looking forwards to since I want to get out of several undesirable tanks. :D

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
it's frustrating trying to get 3x on every tank, only time i really try for that is when its 5x now haha

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I need to grind from the 2801 to the Auful Panzer so this could be the weekend to make it less painful. Trying to get to that RU 251.

microAmp

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2000
I think I get the appeal of high tier mediums. Got the T-44 yesterday and have done really well in it so far.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
man the stb1 has a high ass requirement for getting mastery.
i had a 6500dmg 2kill game last night and it was only good enough for 2nd class.
i was up front doing most of the spotting/damage as well.

microAmp

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2000
Just be aware, you are one huge ammorack in the T44.

You're not kidding, after reading your post; I went to check the weak spots on it and all below the turret on hull is ammo. I'll have to be more mindful.

Still, fun tank and seems to be good to me too; 115 games and 62% win rate.