[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 43 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
Going for Soviet Medium and Heavy for tanks. SPG's probably German, went up to Hummel and Priest, so far I like the Hummel (I know crazy but I follow the Heavies with it and it has good mobility so it's bearable). And probably German SPG's.

It all depends though... last notes I saw on the latest patch showed some buffs to the German heavies and mediums which were already fun to play...

I made it to the Tiger 1 and though it was pretty unbearable to go up that line.

The Tier's are a bit wobbly as the soviet's get there heavy much earlier.

I was thinking the same things. However. I want to throw in an american line too.

Might go for an elite leopard just for giggles too.

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
I still am finding that with good planning and smart positioning, the Ferdinand is the best TD in the game. It is slightly faster and smaller than a JT and has better armor on the sides and rear. The difference between the two 128s is marginal at best. The faster reload speed on the short somewhat makes up for the damage and penetration advantage on the long. Both of them are effectively lasers. The AP rounds from either will penetrate everything but a Tier X heavy and HEAT rounds are effective against those.

What is most key, though, is that the Ferdinand can accomplish a slight relocation between shots and fire accurately much better than a JT. Since TDs are prime artillery targets, due to their inability to fire an maneuver at the same time, moving a few meters between shots is critical. The larger and less mobile JT will take a lot more arty hits, I find.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Reinstalled this weekend and played a couple hours for the first time in over a month. Love the us/europe shard split. Hardly noticed any lag/rubberbanding problems. Did about 50/50 between the hetzer and grille. Seems they nerfed the hell out of the arty range though. Didn't seem to have nearly as issues either with getting stuck in a match with the bulk of the players 4+ tiers above you.

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
You know for the MMO aspect. If they did something similar to Shattered Galaxy (A game I really loved) that would be great. It's already set-up to be very similar.

Any hypothesis as to if your pigeoned into a faction when it does release? All or nothing type deal with each nation?

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
You know for the MMO aspect. If they did something similar to Shattered Galaxy (A game I really loved) that would be great. It's already set-up to be very similar.

Any hypothesis as to if your pigeoned into a faction when it does release? All or nothing type deal with each nation?

Not sure how it works. I'm thinking I'll stay with the now current set up where I just get into a fight with auto balanced teams. I like it. Its simple and fun. Yes, there are some real dummies and jerks playing in these but they easy to get into and out of and I can play any type of tank of my choosing at any time. I kinda rather prefer it. I'm not really sold on their MMO ideas yet mainly because they haven't explained it well so far. I'm thinking they are sorta making it up as they go. I'll have to wait and see how well that works out before I decide to jump into it or not.

Edit: Tomorrow is open public beta. Should be fresh meat for the grill if you catch my meaning. Yum!

Last edited:

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I still am finding that with good planning and smart positioning, the Ferdinand is the best TD in the game.

While I haven't played the JT I am really starting to like the Ferdi. At first I wasn't sure. It was just so slow compared to the JP. I still miss some of the speed and agility but I certainly bounce way more rounds

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Last night I had some good luck and great fun playing my IS4. I have the BL9 gun and it does great damage. Just needs a rammer though. Cant get the rammer until I get the upgraded suspension unfortunately. I'll have to work on getting that 24k xp. If I get killed and the team loses I usually break dead even or lose a couple thousand creds. Depends on if I kill anything in the fight or not. Still playing the T34 and Tiger tank for fun and profit. Tier 5 and 6 is where I seem to make the money the fastest.

Edit: Btw, Open beta has started!

Last edited:

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Guys,

Unfortunately due to my health and other commitments in my life right now, I cannot maintain ElcomeSoft to the standard which I want or have set myself.

To this end, I would like to invite someone who would like to write a column or section for the site and maintain the World of Tanks page. Something like 1 or 2 writings per week would be great, discussing your opinion on the important matters of the game at the moment, noting some crazy match you've been in recently and encouraging readers to pass comment or even writing your own guides.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if anyone fancies it.

badnewcastle

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2004
I made it to the Tiger 1 and though it was pretty unbearable to go up that line.

The Tier's are a bit wobbly as the soviet's get there heavy much earlier.

I was thinking the same things. However. I want to throw in an american line too.

Might go for an elite leopard just for giggles too.

You know, from experience... I loved the German line especially the mediums. The IS may be just a little better than the Tiger but the Tiger can beat an IS if played correctly. I can beat the KT with my IS3 and beat an IS3 just as easily in my KT. My T54 is the best I have (obviously) and beats all of them with ease... however I thought the German mediums tore up the KV/KV3, so yeah they may reach the heave earlier but I don't think they are much better than the alternative.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
You know, from experience... I loved the German line especially the mediums. The IS may be just a little better than the Tiger but the Tiger can beat an IS if played correctly. I can beat the KT with my IS3 and beat an IS3 just as easily in my KT. My T54 is the best I have (obviously) and beats all of them with ease... however I thought the German mediums tore up the KV/KV3, so yeah they may reach the heave earlier but I don't think they are much better than the alternative.

I'm still playing, finally got the IS4 and am having fun with it, but still missing the 5x experience bonus they offered before. I took 27 hits in a match and still ended up killing 4 guys and we won the match. This tank is a beast. Its also nice now being able to punch holes in the Maus and IS7 whereas it had to have a lucky shot before to hurt it with non HE shells.

theswami

Sep 1, 2010
Yeah the IS-4 is an absolute monster, especially with the 130mm cannon! It's my most destructive tank I have (even more than the t-54).

I'm definitely getting this tank again when the game is released!

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I honestly don't understand the terror people feel with the t-54. It's a good tank, but both the panther2 and the pershing pack a punch as well and are just as maneuverable. So I wonder why people only cry about the T-54 in a wolfpack.

It has a good gun, but its the same gun that you have been using since the t-34-85 with a better firing rate. It doesn't penetrate the big tanks and still bounces off IS and KV-3s. The final gun costs 59k (and another 27k for the turret I think...) and I still have problems penetrating IS-3s and tiger IIs from a distance.

Not to mention the survivability is kind of overrated... It goes down just as fast as a panther or pershing when it gets shot.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
I honestly don't understand the terror people feel with the t-54. It's a good tank, but both the panther2 and the pershing pack a punch as well and are just as maneuverable. So I wonder why people only cry about the T-54 in a wolfpack.

It has a good gun, but its the same gun that you have been using since the t-34-85 with a better firing rate. It doesn't penetrate the big tanks and still bounces off IS and KV-3s. The final gun costs 59k (and another 27k for the turret I think...) and I still have problems penetrating IS-3s and tiger IIs from a distance.

Not to mention the survivability is kind of overrated... It goes down just as fast as a panther or pershing when it gets shot.

"Soviets are OP" syndrome.

It seems that the Soviet tanks are the easiest 'pick up and play' tanks, with examples of the T-44/T-54 being extremely fun dogfighters who can punch holes in big tanks whilst zooming around and harrying them.

German and US tanks require different tactics and most players cannot grasp that.

If I had to pick a Tier 9 medium tank, I'd pick a Panther II every time. In my opinion, it has the firepower to rival a mid tier Heavy Tank with increased maneuverability and good enough armour.

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
Problem with the T54 is the extremely low profile and the very high probability of a ricochet because of the bounce mechanism. Yes, it's true, that the T-54 takes a fair chunk of damage when hit. The problem, though, is that many hits simply do no damage to it. The Panther II and Pershing are both significantly easier to get penetration on.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I think the low profile is both a blessing and a curse. When driving I often can't shoot over hills and debris, and most hull-down covers are worthless to me because my tank turret is so low. The vertical traverse on the turret is also horrendous... On the bright side I can hide behind a lot more husks and get better camouflage.

I also haven't gotten a lot of bounces unless its from tanks 2-3 tiers below me. Think I've maybe bounced 2 tiger II shots total, and that's from me going up a hill and the shot hitting at a ridiculous angle.

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
So my Tiger I got bearable sniping with the long 88. I still feel as though that the soviets are going to be VERY popular. As in 70% of player base.

I'm tempted to go all German Medium (Panther 2), Russian SPG and TD, and then American Heavy (Just because I think nobody will go that route)

badnewcastle

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2004
Problem with the T54 is the extremely low profile and the very high probability of a ricochet because of the bounce mechanism. Yes, it's true, that the T-54 takes a fair chunk of damage when hit. The problem, though, is that many hits simply do no damage to it. The Panther II and Pershing are both significantly easier to get penetration on.

They are lifting the tank by 15cm so it will have a higher profile, "about the same height as the T44" - Overlord.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
So my Tiger I got bearable sniping with the long 88. I still feel as though that the soviets are going to be VERY popular. As in 70% of player base

Yeah that makes a big difference

Just finished a match where my 17 hits for 17 shots fired wasn't good enough for the sniper award...

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
I think they should award points for bounced shots. I feel like I run my ass off some games against larger tanks without so much as scratching them.

Surely they could put an equation similar to the current one for dmging tanks by tiers.

Flat rate 25xp or something.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Back when the matchmaking system was really screwy I'd had many a game were the end result was something like 12 shots, 10 hits, no vehicles damaged.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I think they should award points for bounced shots. I feel like I run my ass off some games against larger tanks without so much as scratching them.

Surely they could put an equation similar to the current one for dmging tanks by tiers.

Flat rate 25xp or something.

They could. Probably wouldn't be that tough. I'm guessing they won't however unless most players scream loudly about it. My guess if that were to ever happen. It'd be after release.

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
They could. Probably wouldn't be that tough. I'm guessing they won't however unless most players scream loudly about it. My guess if that were to ever happen. It'd be after release.

I think it would be a good idea. I mean they'd obviously need a cap probably on it. maybe 250-500xp so it wouldn't get abused so much. But if your doing nothing then it would punish them.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Guys,

Unfortunately due to my health and other commitments in my life right now, I cannot maintain ElcomeSoft to the standard which I want or have set myself.

To this end, I would like to invite someone who would like to write a column or section for the site and maintain the World of Tanks page. Something like 1 or 2 writings per week would be great, discussing your opinion on the important matters of the game at the moment, noting some crazy match you've been in recently and encouraging readers to pass comment or even writing your own guides.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if anyone fancies it.

Best wishes, bud.

benzylic

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2006
Seems pretty fun, I just wish my laptop didn't suck, I was pulling down a solid 10fps on low.:D