[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 170 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Ouch dude, and I was pissed at my KT's 46% win rate. I think I've slowly scraped it up to 50% now, which still feels weak.

It's weird. I enjoy playing the KT & my damage/exp stats are solid. But I just can't get the wins. I'm not sure if it's me not helping my teams enough or if it's really just pubbers being fucking stupid. Some days it even feels like the RNG is against me... how the hell can you go through a game w/50% accuracy in the KT??? Why is it bouncing so much?!

My IS, Tiger H/P, and T29 all have better win rates. And my mediums mostly have crushing win rates... like T-34/85 is at 65%! wat?! Hardly makes sense b/c I feel like I suck balls at the T-34/85 and i dont particularly like the tank.

Not so much pissed as frustrated with the MM. The tank is great, even in losses it is fun. But hot damn I dont know how it is possible to lose that much given it is people randomly put together. Feel like I am being trolled by the MM now lol.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Once you get the 105 in the KT you're the most feared tier 8 tank out there. You should easily be able to dominate the battlefield when you are matched as top tank. The accuracy and penn on that gun lets you snipe at extreme ranges. The tank isn't the best at brawling it out though, much better to take on an IS-3 at 300-500m where you can take advantage of your guns accuracy and your frontal armor than trying to duke it out in a PAB match.

I usually snipe with my tiger, its the easiest way to ensure you make enough credits to cover repairs and ammo. 59s are my favorite targets as the 105 cuts them down without issues. In the rare cases I am top tier I do usually lead the charge if I have support from my team. Your front armor will bounce a large portion of tier 6-7 tanks without problems and the 105 will rape anything but a t29/32s turret.

Also with the exception of the T29/32 the 105 can pierce the turret of lower tiered tanks pretty effortlessly enhancing the chance of a critical hit. I've found I hit more often for the max 400 damage with that gun when shooting at the turrets, also less likely to get the 0 damage track only hits.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I'm curious how them new American TDs with turrets will perform. I really enjoy my Slugger.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Just don't screw up the hellcat and I'll be happy.

Also I usually break even on my tiger 2. The gun shoots too fast so I end up taking a lot of potshots.... that miss. :(

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
Just a few more thousand XP and I can get the upgraded gun on my JagdTiger. Ohhh I can't wait.

Now I want a Stug 100 or whatever!

JoJoman88

Jul 27, 2006
I like the Ferdi more than the Jtiger. Of course my Ferdi is batting 56% after 430 battles with just over 500 kills makes me love it even more. As far as KT/Tiger 2, like the other have said, be smart with it and you will like the tank. The best thing about it is that the KT will lead to getting my favorite tank tank the E-75. A completly upgraded E-75 is a fun tank to play. With over 400 battles in it, I'm only batting like 42 or 43 % in it but I don't care because it is just that much fun to play it. It's way more fun than an E-100 to me! I take the E-75 out almost everyday even if i'm finish with that line of German tanks. Just keep on grinding that KT, it gets better.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
How is the E8 fun? Ive never played it but its a tier 6 so dosent it basically get ragged on by everything else in the game?

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
You are the bane of my existence with that stupid gun.

I love that gun. Its finally a good payoff for all the hell you went through grinding to the KT.

I got lucky yesterday in my M6 and ammo racked a type 59 that was about to kill me. Had already bounced 3 times while he was headed towards me. He then turned to start circling me, hit him right in his side, and BOOM. That makes the third type 59 I've ammo racked in the last week. It must be some chinese defect b/c I've only ammo racked one other tank the entire time and that was a T-50-2 while in my tier 6 jaggy TD.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
I love that gun. Its finally a good payoff for all the hell you went through grinding to the KT.

I got lucky yesterday in my M6 and ammo racked a type 59 that was about to kill me. Had already bounced 3 times while he was headed towards me. He then turned to start circling me, hit him right in his side, and BOOM. That makes the third type 59 I've ammo racked in the last week. It must be some chinese defect b/c I've only ammo racked one other tank the entire time and that was a T-50-2 while in my tier 6 jaggy TD.

Hell? The King Tiger is possibly the best near-stock T8 going.

Good engine, mobile, great gun. If you cannot reliably frontally penetrate any tier 8 tank (besides the T28) with the 8.8cm L/71 then there's something wrong! It's such a boon when you get the 10.5cm 200mm penetration gun with the higher alpha making you scarier.

The stock turret is your weakspot, especially if they aim for the Loader spot. The lower hull can be penetrated reliably by any 200mm penetration gun and any 175-180mm gun should do the job too. Angling is awkward because the sides are paper thin.

The King Tiger for me was one of the most enjoyable tanks to take from Tiger P to E-75.

I'd rate the KT behind the T32 and ahead of the IS-3 in tier 8 heavy stakes. I don't hold much love for the VK4502A but it's pretty deadly in the hands of my clan it seems.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Hell? The King Tiger is possibly the best near-stock T8 going.

Good engine, mobile, great gun. If you cannot reliably frontally penetrate any tier 8 tank (besides the T28) with the 8.8cm L/71 then there's something wrong! It's such a boon when you get the 10.5cm 200mm penetration gun with the higher alpha making you scarier.

The stock turret is your weakspot, especially if they aim for the Loader spot. The lower hull can be penetrated reliably by any 200mm penetration gun and any 175-180mm gun should do the job too. Angling is awkward because the sides are paper thin.

The King Tiger for me was one of the most enjoyable tanks to take from Tiger P to E-75.

I'd rate the KT behind the T32 and ahead of the IS-3 in tier 8 heavy stakes. I don't hold much love for the VK4502A but it's pretty deadly in the hands of my clan it seems.

"hell" was referring to grinding out the tier 3-7 tanks to get the KT. The KT is the first tank you get in the german line that competes really really well in its tier. I love playing my KT and I will definately keep it once I get my E-75. The german guns accuracy has spoiled me alot. Playing through the heavy american and russian lines I've missed alot of shots with those tanks that would have been gaurenteed hits if I was in a german tank.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
How is the E8 fun? Ive never played it but its a tier 6 so dosent it basically get ragged on by everything else in the game?

The e8 is a great circle kill tank. It is one of the few tanks I used auto aim on consistently. Focusing on driving is MUCH more important than penetrating every shot in that tank (in my opinion). This was before the tier 5 scouts came out though, and I imagine those are better at the job.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
"hell" was referring to grinding out the tier 3-7 tanks to get the KT. The KT is the first tank you get in the german line that competes really really well in its tier. I love playing my KT and I will definately keep it once I get my E-75. The german guns accuracy has spoiled me alot. Playing through the heavy american and russian lines I've missed alot of shots with those tanks that would have been gaurenteed hits if I was in a german tank.

Meh, the panzer III with the derp was a good tank. The panzer IV was pretty freaking good at tier 5. The short 88 was downright over powered at tier 6. The tiger was a great sniper tank although it was very bad at engaging up close... how many fires this time!?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Yeah, it's a great support tank. Quick and agile. Can lay down some good lead. Just can't take much damage unfortunately.

Saw a really cool thing last night. 3 E8s working together shooting the same targets. When all 3 were shooting over and over it looked really cool!

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I didn't have a problem with the tiger I (the "worst" tank in the line?) to be honest. It was an amazing sniper once my crew got up to 100% (before then had a lot of problems with the 88 L71's accuracy for some reason), but the side ammo racks and engine fires are a pain. You can't brawl with the tank and it's a poor line breaker (paper side armor and horrendous frontal engine damage fires...)

It's a sniper and fills no other role but it fills that role so nicely. At least it's very nimble and has a lot of hp!

And yes, tiger II with the 105 is a threat even to e-75s and tier 10s. I've killed a few but they usually win due to more HP and more chances of bouncing. On the rare occasion I've had IS-4s back off after I penetrated the driver's hatch 3-4 times in a row.

I have about another 30k till I can get the e8... I heard it can use the vstab?! Going to stock up on medium gun rammer and vents and a vstab if that's the case!

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
I didn't have a problem with the tiger I (the "worst" tank in the line?) to be honest. It was an amazing sniper once my crew got up to 100% (before then had a lot of problems with the 88 L71's accuracy for some reason), but the side ammo racks and engine fires are a pain. You can't brawl with the tank and it's a poor line breaker (paper side armor and horrendous frontal engine damage fires...)

It's a sniper and fills no other role but it fills that role so nicely. At least it's very nimble and has a lot of hp!

And yes, tiger II with the 105 is a threat even to e-75s and tier 10s. I've killed a few but they usually win due to more HP and more chances of bouncing. On the rare occasion I've had IS-4s back off after I penetrated the driver's hatch 3-4 times in a row.

I have about another 30k till I can get the e8... I heard it can use the vstab?! Going to stock up on medium gun rammer and vents and a vstab if that's the case!

The AMX-45 has easily trumped the Tiger for worst T7 heavy. In every way it is as effective as the ARL-44 at a tier group higher. Same gun, same paper thing armor, same speed and maneuverability. It gets more HP at the expense of having to fight harder tanks all the time. So what was an awesome tank at T6 is a rotten one at T7, in the same way that the tier 9 T34 is a downgrade from the tier 8 T32.

I strongly suggest you get every possible upgrade on the ARL-44 before moving on, including both tier IX guns. You'll be able to mount the low pen, high damage one immediately on the 45. The high pen gun will require a turret upgrade first.

Regarding the vstabs, yes American tanks get them early. They are really built around shooting on the move.

Last edited:

FallenHero

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2006

It actually is a defect with the type 59. They stored their ammo inside the crew compartment, so any sort of penetration to the ammo would kill the crew.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
What's so bad about the amx-45? Doesn't the top gun have 212 pen or something silly like that? That's more than the 88 L/71. It's faster and more nimble and should be able to relocate much better than the tiger.

I've stopped going down the french heavy line myself because I'm tired of the slow shitty tier 4-5s, the medium I'm slogging through at one double a day because the iron duck is just too hilarious. Yesterday I went in a game on citadel... had problems staying with our spearhead and ended the game with one shell fired (which bounced off an SU-152 promptly). Earned 300 exp on a double.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
What's so bad about the amx-45? Doesn't the top gun have 212 pen or something silly like that? That's more than the 88 L/71. It's faster and more nimble and should be able to relocate much better than the tiger.

I've stopped going down the french heavy line myself because I'm tired of the slow shitty tier 4-5s, the medium I'm slogging through at one double a day because the iron duck is just too hilarious. Yesterday I went in a game on citadel... had problems staying with our spearhead and ended the game with one shell fired (which bounced off an SU-152 promptly). Earned 300 exp on a double.

The ARL 44 was awful and the AMX M4(1945) is almost as bad. It's not manueverable, it has no armour and the gun is half as good as the 8.8cm L/71 on the Tiger.

The Tiger is actually my favourite Tier 7 heavy, despite it being rather weak.

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007

Yes, the top gun has 212 pen and 240 damage. That's not bad at all, but it is the same gun that you had at the T6 ARL-44. It has an extremely long aim time and shoots poorly on the move and only a fair ROF. That's fine at T6 where you can regularly abuse T4 and T5s with it at long ranges. At T7, though, you're up against tougher opponents more regularly so what was a great gun at T6 becomes only a good gun at T7.

The ARL-44's armor could stand up to the weaker opponents you fight at T6, but the AMX-M4's armor can't handle anything you fight at T7. If something hits you, you're getting penned and you're taking damage. Overall, you end up being more fragile.

Basically, you're an underarmored, under HP'ed Tiger with a slightly higher pen gun. If you thought you needed to be a paranoid sniper with a Tiger, the AMX-M4 fights even farther in the rear.

The ARL 44 was awful and the AMX M4(1945) is almost as bad. It's not manueverable, it has no armour and the gun is half as good as the 8.8cm L/71 on the Tiger.
The gun is actually pretty much the same. Damage is equal and so is rate of fire, so DPS is the same. The French gun has a nine more millimeters of penetration but a half second longer aiming time and is slightly less accurate.

Last edited: