Mitsubishi is ending rear-projection TVs, ceases production of DLP and laser models

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Wow sad :(

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/02/mitsubishi-rptv-rip/

They are killing off both the DLP and the LaserVue line. I understand why - nobody wants a thick TV anymore - but my 60" DLP has an amazing picture, so I'm sad to see them go. I was planning on getting a LaserVue one day too...maybe they'll go on sale...

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
That's sad. I love my DLP and would gladly buy a LaserVue if I was in the market for a TV.

People would rather have a panel with poor PQ than a RPTV with great PQ....yet both sets will sit on a piece of furniture. People are stupid.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
That's sad. I love my DLP and would gladly buy a LaserVue if I was in the market for a TV.

People would rather have a panel with poor PQ than a RPTV with great PQ....yet both sets will sit on a piece of furniture. People are stupid.

are you really saying that you can't get good picture on anything other than a RPTV?

Nov 29, 2006
Wow sad :(

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/02/mitsubishi-rptv-rip/

They are killing off both the DLP and the LaserVue line. I understand why - nobody wants a thick TV anymore - but my 60" DLP has an amazing picture, so I'm sad to see them go. I was planning on getting a LaserVue one day too...maybe they'll go on sale...

That is sad. Most people are stupid. They will put a flat panel on a TV stand that sticks out from the wall 1.5' and then bitch about a TV that does the same.

Unless you hang it on the wall you mostly lose any bonus a flat panel brings regarding its slimness. And most people DONT hang them on a wall.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
are you really saying that you can't get good picture on anything other than a RPTV?
No, I'm saying at similar price points a DLP will typically have better PQ. 73" for under $1k? What panel can match that and have good PQ?

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
friend just got a 70" sharp acquos LED flat panel. My father in law's 4 year old samsung DLP has better PQ than the new flat panel

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com !

I saw this on another site, and that was pretty much my reaction. :( Although, the one possible good thing is that their remaining stock might be sold at closeout prices. I'm loving the idea of an 82" DLP for less than $1000!

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
No, I'm saying at similar price points a DLP will typically have better PQ. 73" for under $1k? What panel can match that and have good PQ?

ok just wanted to make sure.

but i see what you are saying. but people aren't always worried 100% about PQ. the other types could be "good enough" for the average joe out there, but it also has a better WAF and looks nicer than the DLP's. also viewing angle could be a reason to get other panels over DLP.

a lot to factor in. that is why you can buy tv's at $500 or $5000.

p_monks33

Golden Member
May 22, 2011
RIP old friend. I will cherish your 65" of beauty until LCD 240hz panels are affordable in your giant footprint.

Mar 11, 2004
What's sad is how LCD is still killing other tech even though many of its limitations should be causing people to look at other stuff even more. High framerates, 3D, black levels, and more.

Then again, LCDs have been improving in some respects but sucks that we're losing out on laser RPTV, lost out on SED, and OLED is dragging its ass.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Damnit :\

I love mine - hopefully it keeps going strong. It matches the depth of the stand and the speakers well. When it goes out I foresee many problems with TV selection, new stand or wall mounting and arguments about how far the speakers now stick out.....

Last edited:

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
What's sad is how LCD is still killing other tech even though many of its limitations should be causing people to look at other stuff even more. High framerates, 3D, black levels, and more.

Then again, LCDs have been improving in some respects but sucks that we're losing out on laser RPTV, lost out on SED, and OLED is dragging its ass.

The LCD side has been making MUCH larger improvements than the plasma side. Once Pioneer left the game, plasmas took a step back in time and are now around the year 2007 technology wise. Pretty sad.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
The LCD side has been making MUCH larger improvements than the plasma side. Once Pioneer left the game, plasmas took a step back in time and are now around the year 2007 technology wise. Pretty sad.

wait what?

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
wait what?

The best plasma today still can't match the black levels of a Pioneer plasma manufactured in 2008, which is sad. They're close, but no cigar. We should actually be at infinite black levels now (Pioneer demoed it in 2008), but no, instead we get 3D and goofy widgets. :mad:

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002

the rear projection DLP had subpar picture quality by today's standards. many of the larger DLP sets I have seen in the recent couple yrs have geometry issues that kept me from getting one.

I haven't had too much experience with laservue. the only store carrying them went out of business not too long after they were introduced. they were supposed to be good, but by the time I got to go see one in person, it had already had issues. Had something causing some major red push/tint.

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
The best plasma today still can't match the black levels of a Pioneer plasma manufactured in 2008, which is sad. They're close, but no cigar. We should actually be at infinite black levels now (Pioneer demoed it in 2008), but no, instead we get 3D and goofy widgets. :mad:

I own a 600M with ISF unlock and a pro151 ... and I will admit the new panny displays are about on par. IMHO so close that unless the two are side by side, it would be hard to distinguish the difference. close enough that the viewing environment is a bigger factor than the display itself.

I remember seeing the infinite black demo. Very impressive. sadly, that tech is being released in drops at a time.

I am holding out for a 70+ inch plasma display that is at least close to what I have with my pioneers. I am willing to give up some PQ for a larger display.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
i actually beleive panasonic could make a better TV they just wont because it costs to much. they know that the market for a 5000$ TV is tiny and not worth getting into

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
I own a 600M with ISF unlock and a pro151 ... and I will admit the new panny displays are about on par. IMHO so close that unless the two are side by side, it would be hard to distinguish the difference. close enough that the viewing environment is a bigger factor than the display itself.

That's my point. Why the heck are we back in 2008? It's almost 2013 for God's sake. Pioneer plasmas also did a MUCH better job with preventing IR than anything on the market today. Panasonic used to be better in that regarded compared to Samsung, but the tables changed with the release of the 50 series Panasonic. And again, I have to ask, what is going on here? We're almost in 2013. We should be moving forward not backwards. Panasonic takes a step forward in one direction and then takes a step back in another. Really frustrating. And when I say "forward," I mean trying to match Pioneer's 2008 tech. We should be WELL past 2008 tech by now.

I remember seeing the infinite black demo. Very impressive. sadly, that tech is being released in drops at a time.

It was awesome and apparently Pioneer had access to Star Trek tech back in the day.

I am holding out for a 70+ inch plasma display that is at least close to what I have with my pioneers. I am willing to give up some PQ for a larger display.

At this point, I'm just going to hold out for an 80"+ 4K display. I'm not spending thousands of dollars on a relatively "small" performance upgrade. Sony's 4K panel looks VERY promising, but just needs to get under the $10K range.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
the rear projection DLP had subpar picture quality by today's standards. many of the larger DLP sets I have seen in the recent couple yrs have geometry issues that kept me from getting one.

I haven't had too much experience with laservue. the only store carrying them went out of business not too long after they were introduced. they were supposed to be good, but by the time I got to go see one in person, it had already had issues. Had something causing some major red push/tint.
Much like any TV, geometry issues can be corrected by a proper calibration. I haven't had mine calibrated and there are obvious geometry issues when viewing 4:3 material. For widescreen material its not obvious if there's a problem or not.

At my local big screen retailer I don't see any obvious disadvantage in PQ comparing DLP to high end panels that are on display. I would think they do a slightly better job of setting up TVs than say Best Buy or Costco so it would be a better comparison.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
I think people would if they were easier to find! Here in SoCal you find them at Fry's and Pauls' TV. Big box stores? Good luck. People won't buy what they don't see.

EDIT: When I bought mine in 2010 I what I wanted so I headed straight to a store that sold them.

Last edited:

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
The image quality is not nearly as good. It's no surprise that they are being discontinued.

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
That's my point. Why the heck are we back in 2008? It's almost 2013 for God's sake. Pioneer plasmas also did a MUCH better job with preventing IR than anything on the market today. Panasonic used to be better in that regarded compared to Samsung, but the tables changed with the release of the 50 series Panasonic. And again, I have to ask, what is going on here? We're almost in 2013. We should be moving forward not backwards. Panasonic takes a step forward in one direction and then takes a step back in another. Really frustrating. And when I say "forward," I mean trying to match Pioneer's 2008 tech. We should be WELL past 2008 tech by now.

It was awesome and apparently Pioneer had access to Star Trek tech back in the day.

At this point, I'm just going to hold out for an 80"+ 4K display. I'm not spending thousands of dollars on a relatively "small" performance upgrade. Sony's 4K panel looks VERY promising, but just needs to get under the $10K range.

You have to take into account the price of these displays.

My 151 was upwards of 8k asking price, I think I ended up paying about 4.5-5k for it (back when I had money). A year later I scraped up a a remaining 600m for about 3K. compare that to what displays cost now for comparable quality. My brother got a 65" vt series for under 3K