Mike Rowe is a blowhard

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I think this is what the OP was talking about.

http://mikerowe.com/2018/05/otw-death-of-the-boy-scouts/

This seems to be the snowflake part. Seems fine to me.

Seems fine to me.

He's like an angry old man, that comes around every generation, shitting on the younger generation for being lost, or something. You hear it every generation about the last. I heard it about mine from the older folks. And it takes him like 15 paragraphs to get to that point.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
He's like an angry old man, that comes around every generation, shitting on the younger generation for being lost, or something. You hear it every generation about the last. I heard it about mine from the older folks. And it takes him like 15 paragraphs to get to that point.

What is angry in what he said? He gave a story about his childhood. Explained how Scouts helped him. Said that others might benefit from the same experience even if the Scouts no longer provide that. And last that people benefit when they are exposed to new things that challenge them.

So where is the anger?

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I think this is what the OP was talking about.

http://mikerowe.com/2018/05/otw-death-of-the-boy-scouts/

This seems to be the snowflake part. Seems fine to me.

Seems fine to me.

I read the whole thing. I don't see anything wrong with that. Although he used the terms "safe space" and "snowflakes" I think he did a decent job of defining what he really meant by it, not just a general anti-liberal insult.

I agree with him, allowing girls into Boy Scouts is good, but it isn't going to solve the underlying issue of a declining membership. I am sure a lot of that declining membership has to do with kids wanting to play video games instead of being physical. I am sure part of it (which he didn't address) is how everyone that wants to be physical plays a year round competitive club sport now, too.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
He was asked for his opinion about girls in scouts and the declining membership. Although I don't think he analysis was complete I do think there is a lot of truth to it. Parents don't want their kids hurt any more, kids want to play video games, etc.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
So exactly when did the Dirty Jobs guys opinion become so important? I am the first to admit that I rarely pay attention to the memos but was a memo actually sent out about how important the Dirty Jobs guy opinion was? Is he running for office now or something?

Seriously?

His opinion technically isn't any more important than yours, mine, the political rock stars, the political actors or the news anchors. But I believe his may be more valid and I respect his more seeing the background he comes from.

Reactions: Ichinisan

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
He's like an angry old man, that comes around every generation, shitting on the younger generation for being lost, or something.

Er...after I looked at his page I see quite a few posts lauding hard working young individuals. Apparently he has a foundation where he gives these people lots of money to cover a lot of their trade education costs.

Kristen Blue has always loved airplanes – a lot. She had flown in big commercial airliners but was really fascinated by small Cessna planes. At age 12 Kristen learned of the Civil Air Patrol, or CAP. CAP is a civilian auxiliary of the United States Air Force. They have a cadet program that focuses on aviation, search and rescue training, and community service; but best of all – they have a fleet of Cessnas to train in.

“I think my love for aviation started when I found out that joining CAP would give me the chance to fly in a Cessna!”

Naturally, Kristen signed up. And she loved it. Not only did she get to fly in a Cessna (which was bumpier than she expected) she got to participate in a real search and rescue, helping to find a lost elderly man. However Kristen didn’t think about a career in aviation. In fact while attending Pavilion Central High School, she was splitting time with a BOCES program studying Environmental Science. While Kristen wanted to pursue Environmental Science, ultimately she realized that this career path would require a four-year degree and the job prospects beyond graduation were not that great. So she started exploring her options.

At BOCES, Kristen got the chance to shadow at a local aircraft mechanic shop called Boshart Enterprises & Aircraft Services, Inc.

“I absolutely loved what they taught me there.”

Kristen loved it so much she interned at Boshart her senior year. That same year she was selected to participate in Civil Air Patrol’s National Blue Beret cadre at AirVenture in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.

“For two weeks I trained and worked the flight lines of one of the largest airshows in the world!”

This was the turning point that led Kristen to pursue a career in Aviation. She enrolled at Mohawk Valley Community College in Rome, New York at Griffiss International Airport.

“I realized that the aviation maintenance program would be a way for me to get my foot in the door of the aviation industry.”

Kristen heard Mike Rowe speak about the #mikeroweWORKS Work Ethic Scholarship Program in a radio interview. She applied and was granted a scholarship that covered nearly half her tuition.

In December 2017, Kristen will graduate MVCC. Maybe one day, she’ll build her very own Cessna.

Clearly a terrible person just shitting all over young people

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Er...after I looked at his page I see quite a few posts lauding hard working young individuals. Apparently he has a foundation where he gives these people lots of money to cover a lot of their trade education costs.

Clearly a terrible person just shitting all over young people

I stated from the beginning I like what he does in regards to promoting and supporting trade schools and alternatives to college/universities. I started following him so many years ago DUE to that. Why should college be the only honorable ticket for our society's youth and professionals? It all came easily to me. This was shortly after Deadliest Catch got big, I was a fan of him as a narrator and his views on education/trade schools.

If you've been following him though he started going on these longer and longer diatribes that end up being political in nature that I think are a bit much. I was reading his latest rant whilst taking a shit and on my phone and so didn't create a linked up thread, I was just venting. Hearing the word safe spaces from right of center folks these days can be a bit much.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Seriously?

His opinion technically isn't any more important than yours, mine, the political rock stars, the political actors or the news anchors. But I believe his may be more valid and I respect his more seeing the background he comes from.

Yes, seriously. I was joking in the first two sentences but I honestly figured the guy was running for some political office. If he is still just the Dirty Jobs guy then seriously, why does anyone give a fuck about his political views enough to make a thread in P&N about it? Might as well make start making threads about my dad's political views.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
I stated from the beginning I like what he does in regards to promoting and supporting trade schools and alternatives to college/universities. I started following him so many years ago DUE to that. Why should college be the only honorable ticket for our society's youth and professionals? It all came easily to me. This was shortly after Deadliest Catch got big, I was a fan of him as a narrator and his views on education/trade schools.

If you've been following him though he started going on these longer and longer diatribes that end up being political in nature that I think are a bit much. I was reading his latest rant whilst taking a shit and on my phone and so didn't create a linked up thread, I was just venting. Hearing the word safe spaces from right of center folks these days can be a bit much.

So you were triggered and needed a safe space of your own to vent? Gotcha.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999

So you were triggered by Mike Row and needed to vent. Note that in your post next time.
Personally, I think Mike Row is a hell of a guy, he puts his money where his mouth is, his arguments for or against an issue are always well thought out, and I've never heard him say anything disrespectful about anyone he disagrees with. He's a stand up guy who would never do what you did with this thread, piss on someone because you disagree with them.

Reactions: pcgeek11 and IJTSSG

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Why do you give a fuck about Mike Rowe? He's the Maytag man! He turns into a washing machine. Don't you have better things to do than gripe about the Maytag man? :p

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I stated from the beginning I like what he does in regards to promoting and supporting trade schools and alternatives to college/universities.

Yeah and you also compared him to the stereotypical old man shitting on younger generations. That comparison doesn't jive with someone who also posts about hard working kids in the younger generations and someone who gives them money to better themselves.

Reactions: IJTSSG

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013

Ah, so you are like Laura Ingraham and you believe Rowe should not talk about politics. The ole "shut up and dribble" position. Now I understand.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
If Mike Rowe is a blowhard what is somebody like Jim Carey or Kathy Griffin?

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
His reply is cogent, well thought out and, articulate. Perhaps you suffer from a short attention span like many 'youts.'

Reactions: Ichinisan

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Blowhard bloviates. It took him a minute to basically say 'snowflakes come from our clouds'

So my original statement was correct, you were triggered and needed a safe place to vent. It's all good snowflake, just wanted to get to the crux of the issue.