Mike Rowe is a blowhard

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
So when i look at his facebook page i see a post about him mom, one about his dog, a couple about him interviewing people who do good things with limited resources and then he gives them money to do more good things, a few about him handing out scholarships so people can learn a trade, a few about his informative podcasts, and a couple with decently constructed arguments. Hardly what i would call a blowhard.

Edit: so I mean hes not giving his money to those people but as entertainment efforts go its fairly generous

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
He was on my facebook for awhile cause I liked him as the host of Deadliest Catch. But then he started ranting. His latest rant is on the Boy Scout thing although he doesn't directly criticize them directly as much.

He's always been very pro trade-school. And I've always agreed with him on the trade school thing, I think the obsession with only a college degree in this country is too much and trades are just as honorable of course. But then he started ranting and raving about everything. He's toned it down lately lots of posts about his mom and stuff but when he does go off like he used to, it's retarded.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Checking in to say I don't know the guy. To that end I best heed compuwiz1's advice and not google him, either... I don't think my cup can take any more hate so I'd better leave this one alone... Others who have room left can take him in...

Feb 16, 2005
So anyone who leans to the right is a blow hard? Check.
Some of you guys seem to always be looking for someone to hate. Rowe does a lot of good things and I enjoyed his Dirty Jobs show.
Well well, will wonders never cease.
We agree on this. I thoroughly enjoyed Dirty Jobs. Thought it was an interesting, thought provoking series. Was pretty damn bummed when they nixed it too. Not particularly fond of his politics, but he usually puts up a fairly rational argument for his reasoning. One of the few voices on either side that does that.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
So anyone who leans to the right is a blow hard? Check.
Some of you guys seem to always be looking for someone to hate. Rowe does a lot of good things and I enjoyed his Dirty Jobs show.
Kinda funny you'd say this because most in this thread (many of them "you guys") seem to disagree with the OP. By funny, I meant stupid, of course.

I don't know much about Rowe other than a bit of his TV work, and a graduation speech he gave a few years ago which I appreciated. I think I have it saved on my computer somewhere. I really like his pro trade school attitude.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Is there a link to his rant, or did you just come here to say bad things about him. This thread feels more like you pissing into the wind without a link.

Reactions: Zorba

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Plus FB is full of Russian trolls.
I was going to sell when all that shit started coming out, but it dropped like a rock. Too late to bail. It's getting close to $10 of its 52 week high. Probably sell then. And say adios suckers who evidently have completely given up of the concept of privacy

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Plus FB is full of Russian trolls.

I didn't realize you were on FB. ~)

I like Mike Rowe's narration in some of the universe/space series he has a very listenable voice but he's a tad wacky sometimes. Lot of stuff I don't agree with him, thus I don't have him liked on FB.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Is there a link to his rant, or did you just come here to say bad things about him. This thread feels more like you pissing into the wind without a link.

I guess I was pissing in the wind and not sure how to link up an FB rant. This is P&N not Discussion Club brother.

Put it this way it was a rant about people with safe spaces and snowflakes and all that jazz.

I really like his pro trade school attitude.

Me too. Said it in the Op. Since Day 1 of him saying that always agreed with him. Back then he was reasonable too. Hence why he was on my FB in the first place.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

So exactly when did the Dirty Jobs guys opinion become so important? I am the first to admit that I rarely pay attention to the memos but was a memo actually sent out about how important the Dirty Jobs guy opinion was? Is he running for office now or something?

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I think this is what the OP was talking about.

http://mikerowe.com/2018/05/otw-death-of-the-boy-scouts/

This seems to be the snowflake part. Seems fine to me.
Too many kids are graduating from high school with no sense of who they are. Too many kids are leaving college with no marketable skill. Too many kids have never pondered a code to live by, or considered the importance of anything beyond the pursuit of their own comfort. It’s easy to call these kids “snowflakes,” but where do you suppose they came from?

We are the clouds from which the snowflakes fell. We are the ones who gave them trophies just for showing up. We’re the ones who told them that their feelings were more important than their actions, and that their dreams would come true if they simply followed them. Now, we are confronted with millions of dissatisfied young adults with no tolerance for beliefs that conflict with their own, and no realistic understanding of how life actually works.

Seems fine to me.