Microsoft officially announces Windows 11

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Well, seems to me the whole world is full of idioms. There's no universal language and just about all languages have their dialects and regional characteristics. I can walk down the street and be exposed to (if I hear it) English that I can barely understand.
Indeed. And that's why I asked the initial question!

Reactions: Muse

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Well, after playing around a few days, the excitement about Win11 has dwindled. The context menu is really annoying if it can't be fixed.

Going back to Win10.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
Well, after playing around a few days, the excitement about Win11 has dwindled.
Same here.

The context menu is really annoying if it can't be fixed.
Installed Process Monitor to even see where in the registry this takes place, but couldn't figure it out.

Going back to Win10.
Yeah, 10 seems overall more reliable and finished. Major feature hasn't yet arrived here (Android support), so... really nothing left to see for me. DirectStorage looks promising but is at least a year away.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Well, after playing around a few days, the excitement about Win11 has dwindled. The context menu is really annoying if it can't be fixed.

Going back to Win10.
Is MS notifying W10 users of W11? It's a free upgrade? Neither of the W10 machines that I'm using pretty regularly have informed me AFAIK that W11 exists.

Not that I'm antsy or anything. Any time MS comes out with a subsequent version I have found negatives. Software issues with the apps I use, brain dead changes of where to find some OS functionality I sometimes need to access, new "features" that require I rethink the way I compute and organize my data... I'm still not comfortable with their \Documents, \Pictures, \Music etc. digital file cabinet they sprung on us much less Onedrive, MS accounts... these are all annoyances to me because I run a NAS that I back up periodically. WTH do I need that stuff????? I still have several Windows phones, in fact the best screened smartphone I have is a Windows phone, but the mofos stopped supporting it! No, I'm not going Apple, the only apple I've ever bought grew on a tree, but I'm not going Linux because of software I use that won't run on it.

/rant

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Not that I'm antsy or anything. Any time MS comes out with a subsequent version I have found negatives. Software issues with the apps I use, brain dead changes of where to find some OS functionality I sometimes need to access, new "features" that require I rethink the way I compute and organize my data... I'm still not comfortable with their \Documents, \Pictures, \Music etc. digital file cabinet they sprung on us much less Onedrive, MS accounts... these are all annoyances to me because I run a NAS that I back up periodically. WTH do I need that stuff?????

Which is why I've always organised my data on a separate /data partition. MS can then organise how they want, and I can organise how I want. That way I also don't get my /documents and /pictures folders stuffed with all manner of random files and directories from installed programs.

Win-win...

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Going back to Win10.

At least going back is fairly painless!

I've done the same as you. Win11 looks pretty but it takes more effort to get to where you want to get to than Win10.
Bits of it are better. The settings app is better laid out than the old one although it still doesn't have all the settings that you need and you still have to go into the old style boxes for things (like some of the power saving settings).
The centered task bar was as horrible as I imagined it would be. I don't need my pinned icons moving around! That's why they are pinned!
The new start menu was pretty horrible as well, I can see no reason to ever use that.
The widgets thing was a bit of a disappointment as well, I was hoping it was going to be stuff we could pin to the desktop.

Some of the wallpapers were nice though.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I'm still not comfortable with their \Documents, \Pictures, \Music etc. digital file cabinet they sprung on us much less Onedrive, MS accounts...
God, onedrive is a bloody nightmare if you ever use it then want control of your folders back.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Some of the wallpapers were nice though.

Bear in mind if you 'browse for themes' in the themes area of the settings UI, you can get some really nice ones for free from the MS Store.

God, onedrive is a bloody nightmare if you ever use it then want control of your folders back.

I believe I posted a thread about that :) I can provide further guidance if anyone wants it.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
The widgets thing was a bit of a disappointment as well, I was hoping it was going to be stuff we could pin to the desktop.
I can no longer see temperature right on the task bar, that was quite convenient. No idea, why 11 couldn't keep that neat feature. Main gripe, there are a lot more of extra clicks involved in 11 compared to 10 to do the same things (not every time I want to use cmd / keyboard, sometimes its nice to just exclusively use your mouse (Vista/7 were the best)). I'll use it for a few more days and get back to 10. Wallpapers are nice, indeed (but again, you can freely get them even for Vista, not big a deal).

EDIT: There will be a 21H2 update for number 10 later this year. Curious as to what features that will bring... Most likely Windows 11 Upgrade assistant :p

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I think my Win10 systems have Onedrive going, but I never use it. It's just there and uploads some files but I never go there. I should probably disable it or get rid of it, don't know. Any data I care about I put on my NAS. I even setup downloading directly to my NAS recently. I intend to save attachments directly to my NAS, I figure that should work fine.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
You can get old context menu back with one click! At least in most cases.
You can't without extra clicks. There must be a way to force the old menu permanently. I find the vertical alignment of copy/edit/paste options far more convenient for mouse usage.

1625509393146.png

Last edited:

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
You can't without extra clicks.
Did you do this? And I said in most cases, not all cases.

View attachment 46780

Finally someone figured it out! You don't have to do the above.

Another registry hack.

Add the following key in the registry

Need to restart the machine to take effect.

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FeatureManagement\Overrides\4\586118283]
"EnabledState"=dword:00000001
"EnabledStateOptions"=dword:00000001
"Variant"=dword:00000000
"VariantPayload"=dword:00000000
"VariantPayloadKind"=dword:00000000
Win10 Context Menu.png
Untitled.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Magic Carpet

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Are my eyes playing tricks on me or is there a lot of MS Sans Serif in that screenshot?
Not my machine's screenshot. I grabbed it from internet.

==

See my new post above.

After importing the registry key mod.

Untitled.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Magic Carpet

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
Did you do this? And I said in most cases, not all cases.
It only applies to File Explorer. I had done that, yes.

Code:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FeatureManagement\Overrides\4\586118283]
Now that did the trick. Yes, finally, at long last 1111!!!!! Thanks man.

1625606027206.png

1625606139516.png

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
Wake me when Direct Storage has arrived AND can be demonstrated via software.
At least a year away I reckon. Unreal Engine 5 will likely use it. Windows 11 will be the OS for gamers, no doubt about that. Just needs time.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
1625749244788.png

Looks like, a newer build is coming :)

1625765741503.png

Changes and Improvements
  • Start now has a search box to make it easier to find what you’re looking for.
  • Taskbar will now show across multiple monitors which can be enabled via Settings > Personalization > Taskbar.
  • We have updated several system alert dialog boxes such as the alert for when the battery is running low on your laptop or when you change your display settings with the new Windows 11 visual design.
  • The ‘Power mode’ settings are now available on the Power & battery page in Settings.
  • Right clicking the desktop now directly has a Refresh option without needing to click “Show more options”.
  • Right clicking a .ps1 file in File Explorer now directly has a Run with PowerShell options without needing to click “Show more options”.
  • Available snap layouts when using smaller PCs in portrait orientation have been optimized for that posture. You can now choose to snap three apps on top of each other, instead of four quadrants.
  • Based on the collaboration with the most popular GIF provider in China, weshineapp.com, GIF selections are now available for Windows Insiders in China via the emoji panel (WIN + .). If the location is set as China, then GIF data will appear from weshineapp.com.
  • Right-clicking on the volume icon in the taskbar now includes an option to troubleshoot sound problems.
Fixes
  • We fixed a remote code execution exploit in the Windows Print Spooler service, known as “PrintNightmare”, as documented in CVE-2021-34527. For more information, see KB5004945.
  • Taskbar:
    • We fixed an issue where it wasn’t possible to click the Show Desktop button with your mouse at the very edge of the Taskbar.
    • We fixed an issue where the date and time in the Taskbar weren’t reflecting your preferred format.
    • We fixed an issue where the preview window might not display the entire window when hovering over Task View on the Taskbar.
    • We fixed an issue pressing ESC or clicking the desktop wouldn’t dismiss the window of open app preview thumbnails if you set focus to it after pressing WIN + T.
    • We fixed an issue where if you rotate a PC to portrait orientation and back to landscape, it could result in app icons not displaying in the Taskbar despite there being room.
  • Settings:
    • We fixed an issue resulting in Settings failing to launch. If you were impacted in the previous flight, please see here.
    • We fixed a noticeable stutter in the animation when closing Quick Settings and Notification Center by clicking on their respective icons in the taskbar.
    • We fixed an issue where the Quick Settings and Notification Center windows were missing shadows.
    • We fixed an issue where it wasn’t possible to launch Quick Settings by setting keyboard focus to it in the taskbar and pressing the Enter key.
    • We fixed an issue where Quick Settings wouldn’t render correctly if you removed all settings except volume.
    • We fixed an issue that mitigates Focus Assist enabling unexpectedly.
    • We fixed an issue with the animation in the touch keyboard when resizing it in Settings.
    • We fixed an issue where Sign-in Options in Settings had an unexpected checkbox under Facial Recognition with no text.
    • We fixed an issue where the button to disconnect a work or school account in Account Settings wasn’t working.
    • We fixed an issue where Lock screen Settings had a toggle with no text.
    • We fixed an issue where the title of the Advanced Options page under Windows Update in Settings could be missing.
    • We fixed an issue where the “Windows privacy options” at the bottom of Privacy & Security > Search Permissions in Settings wasn’t working.
    • We fixed an issue where the Open Navigation button could become overlapped with other text.
    • We fixed an issue causing Settings to crash when applying a theme under Contrasts.
    • We fixed an issue where parts of Settings were unexpectedly in English for some non-English languages.
  • File Explorer:
    • We fixed an issue resulting in pinning and unpinning apps from Start not working, the command bar in File Explorer disappearing, and the snap layouts unexpectedly not appearing until rebooting your PC.
    • We fixed an issue that could result in the elements of File Explorer’s title bar being unreadable due to low contrast.
    • We fixed an issue where some of the icons in File Explorer’s context menu could be blurry.
    • We fixed an issue where the “see more” menu in File Explorer’s command bar wouldn’t dismiss when you clicked on Options.
    • We fixed an issue that could result in not being able to create a new folder on the desktop.
  • Search:
    • We fixed an issue resulting in Search having grey boxes sometimes instead of app icons.
    • We fixed an issue that could result in Search dropping the first keystroke when pressing the Windows key and starting to type.
    • We fixed an issue where when hovering your mouse over the Search icon on the taskbar, the third recent search would not load and remained blank.
    • We fixed an issue where if you searched for Windows Update, it would open Settings but not navigate to the Windows Update settings page.
  • Widgets:
    • We fixed an issue where system text scaling was scaling all widgets proportionally and could result in cropped widgets.
    • We fixed an issue where when using screen reader/Narrator in widgets it wasn’t properly announcing content sometimes.
    • We fixed an issue where resizing the Money widget could result in the bottom half of it not displaying anything.
  • Other:
    • We fixed a memory leak that was noticeable when using one of the C# printing samples.
    • We fixed an issue causing an error in safe mode saying 0xc0000005 – Unexpected parameters.
    • We fixed two issues that could cause explorer.exe to start crashing in a loop, when the display language was set to Russian or when multiple input methods enabled.
    • We fixed an issue where if you minimize a full screen window and later restore it, there was a chance it could result in a bug check with win32kfull.
    • We fixed an issue resulting in some WSL users seeing “The parameter is incorrect” when opening Windows Terminal.
    • We fixed an issue causing blurry windows in ALT + Tab.
    • We fixed an issue resulting in a flicker in the taskbar when Korean IME users used ALT + Tab.
    • We fixed an issue impacting reliability of displaying the UI when using WIN + Space to switch input methods.
    • We fixed an issue impacting voice typing reliability.
    • We fixed an issue resulting in the “New snip in X seconds” options in Snip & Sketch not working.
Known issues
  • [REMINDER] When upgrading to Windows 11 from Windows 10 or when installing an update to Windows 11, some features may be deprecated or removed. See details here.
  • Start:
    • In some cases, you might be unable to enter text when using Search from Start or the Taskbar. If you experience the issue, press WIN + R on the keyboard to launch the Run dialog box, then close it.
  • Taskbar:
    • The Taskbar will sometimes flicker when switching input methods.
    • Dragging an app icon to rearrange it in the Taskbar will result in the app launching or minimizing.
  • Settings:
    • When launching the Settings app, a brief green flash may appear.
    • When using Quick Settings to modify Accessibility settings, the settings UI may not save the selected state.
  • File Explorer:
    • The new command bar may not appear when “Open folders in a separate process” is enabled under File Explorer Options > View.
    • Explorer.exe crashes in a loop for Insiders using the Turkish display language when battery charge is at 100%.
    • When right clicking the desktop or File Explorer, the resulting context menu and submenus may appear partially off screen.
  • Search:
    • After clicking the Search icon on the Taskbar, the Search panel may not open. If this occurs, restart the “Windows Explorer” process, and open the search panel again.
    • When you hover your mouse over the Search icon on the Taskbar, recent searches may not be displayed. To work around the issue, restart your PC.
    • Search panel might appear as black and not display any content below the search box.
  • Widgets:
    • Widgets board may appear empty. To work around the issue, you can sign out and then sign back in again.
    • Launching links from the widgets board may not invoke apps to the foreground.
    • When using the Outlook client with a Microsoft account, Calendar, and To Do changes may not sync to the widgets in real time.
    • Widgets may be displayed in the wrong size on external monitors. If you encounter this, you can launch the widgets via touch or WIN + W shortcut on your actual PC display first and then launch on your secondary monitors.
    • After adding multiple widgets quickly from the widgets settings, some of the widgets may not be visible on the board.
  • Store:
    • The install button might not be functional yet in some limited scenarios.
    • Rating and reviews are not available for some apps.
  • Windows Security
    • Device Security is unexpectedly saying “Standard hardware security not supported” for Insiders with supported hardware.
    • “Automatic sample submission” is unexpectedly turned off when you restart your PC.

Installed fine on Core 2 Duo T7200 laptop.
M$ made me happiest man on the world by restoring the old multi-monitor taskbar behaviour.

First bug with right-click and selecting "update" on desktop disable right-click on desktop, need to restart.

Right-click on any folder disable the menu if i want to right-click for second time and need to close and open file explrer again

Last edited:

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011

This tweak no longer works for me in this build.

Yes the the reg trick didn’t work here as well. We are in a deep trouble with this build. Bag of hurt awaits.

Easily this build is the “Worst Insider/Beta/Preview build” ever. Since my testing Windows 10 in 2014/2015.

Without working context menus, this build is unusable. Same problem on all 3 of my builds.

Decided to clean install in VMWare instead and see if its any different.

1625781433180.png

EDIT: Its best to clean install this build.

Last edited: