Microsoft officially announces Windows 11

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
FUN PROJECT:

Latest build has been running well on Conroe. Sound works fine with the ASRock XP 64 driver. Activated successfully using my Windows 7 Pro key. It's a PCI version of Fermi GPU. Might upgrade it to a Quad CPU at some point. 2GB seems to be all right for light work, memory compression and SSD caching works very well here. No blue screens of any sort yet.

Pro Tip: You can use a speedier machine to get it installed and then do the swapping, otherwise it can be a little time consuming installing all the updates and what not.

1628702583053.png
1628702692492.png
1628706243111.png

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
ISO files now avail for direct download on the Microsoft Windows Insider Preview ISO Download site.

Installed on my ematic A4-9120e WM-special laptop.

Couldn't figure out how to install a local user during setup.

Is there a way to get a Command Prompt during OOBE Setup? Maybe I could slip in a "control userpasswords2" and create a local acct.

bba-tcg

Apr 8, 2010
computerguyonline.net
ISO files now avail for direct download on the Microsoft Windows Insider Preview ISO Download site.

Installed on my ematic A4-9120e WM-special laptop.

Couldn't figure out how to install a local user during setup.

Is there a way to get a Command Prompt during OOBE Setup? Maybe I could slip in a "control userpasswords2" and create a local acct.
I haven't tried on W11, but on W10 Shift F10 brings an admin command prompt during OOBE. Probably "net users /add...." will work at that point.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
the verge said:
Microsoft clarified its minimum system requirements for Windows 11 last week, but also revealed a workaround for those who don’t meet them. You can install Windows 11 on any hardware using an ISO method, as long as the PC has a 64-bit 1GHz processor with two or more cores, 4GB of RAM, 64GB of storage, and a TPM 1.2 chip. But if you use the workaround, your PC will be in an unsupported state. This means an unsupported Windows 11 PC might not get access to Windows Update, and even security patches.

The mind boggles. This is almost as pointless as saying "your Internet connection won't work", "unsupported PCs will enjoy Windows 11 at the command prompt only", or "the letter W won't work on your keyboard".

CSMR

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2004
With the exception of Android app support, I can only find info about superficial styling changes. Same as for Windows 10 half-yearly updates where they announce incremental changes to apps and styling and nothing major.

Is there any info about significant core changes in Windows 11 or is it just an incremental update on Win10?

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Is there any info about significant core changes in Windows 11 or is it just an incremental update on Win10?

After reading two pages on it:

My conclusion is that the only reason that Win11 isn't simply a feature update for Win10 is that the UI changes too much for that and would annoy people.

There have been some murmurings of interest about DirectStorage on these forums, but that's about it I think. I think I'm mainly concerned about Win11 for two reasons:

1: The changes they're making to the system requirements are possibly a course change for Windows as a whole, going from "your ten-year-old kit probably can run it" to perhaps something more Mac-like, which is a concern as far as my business goes.

2: I expect that Windows 11 embodies the feeling I get when I enter my local supermarket to find that they've re-arranged everything in the vain hope that I'll end up buying more stuff.

On the plus side, maybe Win10 users can look forward to a period of relative stability with Win11 getting all the 'creative focus'?

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Well, after testing it for a while I can confirm that the updates/patch installation feels faster than Windows 10, and also the upgrade to new builds seem pretty quick. Any speed increase in installing patches is great news IMO and I feel like it will get me in the door to using Win11.

Also, the security enhancements sound good for whenever I get a new PC that will support them! Both my work PC and home PC are too old to run it.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I got it running under VirtualBox on my Macbook Pro, which feels kinda wrong.

The screen responsiveness is shite when I have it running in VirtualBox scaled mode, but I guess that's to be expected. Oracle will probably need an updated guest driver package to fix that.

Last edited:

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
FIX

• Step 1: Use CTRL-ALT-DEL and choose to open Task Manager.
  • Step 2: Choose “More details” at the bottom of Task Manager to expand Task Manager.
  • Step 3: Go to “File” and choose “Run new task”.
  • Step 4: Type “cmd” in the “Open” field.
  • Step 5: Paste the following: reg delete HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\IrisService /f && shutdown -r -t 0
  • Step 6: Hit enter, and then your PC should reboot. After rebooting, everything should be back to normal.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
How Windows 11 will speed up your slow PC

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3632968/how-windows-11-will-speed-up-your-slow-pc.html

Then again, since the hardware requirements require newer PCs, this may not even be a big issue....

I'm calling BS on this. With the lone exception of Windows 7 over Windows Vista, every Windows release has required more memory and storage space than the previous release. It might seem faster, but I highly doubt that it will be faster.

Reactions: ryan20fun

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Good point ultimatebob! I will believe this when I see it.

I'm calling BS on this. With the lone exception of Windows 7 over Windows Vista, every Windows release has required more memory and storage space than the previous release. It might seem faster, but I highly doubt that it will be faster.

VivienM

Jun 26, 2001
1: The changes they're making to the system requirements are possibly a course change for Windows as a whole, going from "your ten-year-old kit probably can run it" to perhaps something more Mac-like, which is a concern as far as my business goes.

To something much worse than Mac-like.

e.g. I have a mid-2014 MBP, it got Big Sur minus maybe a few features that require newer GPUs, Apple Silicon, or other hardware. So mid-2014 hardware, runs the 2020 OS with the near full feature set. Then it won't get Monterey but I presume that if there's a security issue in Big Sur, they will issue patches for a year or two or three. (In reality, this machine's battery seems to be swelling again and it is getting traded in the instant the 16" Apple Silicon MBP launches, so that's somewhat moot)

The first officially supported AMD CPUs launched in mid-2018, so Microsoft is telling someone with a nice, high end system from, say, March 2018 (3.5 years ago), no new OS for you, just security updates.

So this is much, much, much worse than Apple's policy - it's not "you get the new OSes for 5-6 years then whatever security updates we give you for a little bit after that", it's "you get the new OS for 2-3 years and then security updates for 4 years then e-waste".

As somebody with an i7 7700 that's screwed by this, I don't know what the right response is. I think there's a very good chance that if I go out and buy a Ryzen 3xxx or an 11/12th gen Intel to run Windows 11 on, in 2024 or 2025 they'll announce Windows 12 and say "oh sorry, 14th gen and 5th-gen Ryzen only" and I'll be stuck with yet another security-updates-only-for-X-years box that performs just fine. I don't think this is a one-time "we want to reset the Windows platform with requirements A, B and C and we'll go back to how it used to be for the next two decades afterwards".

Frankly, I think that what they want to do is much worse than Apple - I think they want to create a new norm where a computer that comes with Windows X will always run Windows X for its whole life, unless it was less than 2-3 years old when Windows X+1 comes out, in which case it gets a free upgrade to Windows X+1. That is dramatically worse than Apple's policy (where you get to MacOS x+5 or x+6) but I'm sure will make driver developers, etc very happy.

Reactions: ryan20fun

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
As somebody with an i7 7700 that's screwed by this, I don't know what the right response is. I think there's a very good chance that if I go out and buy a Ryzen 3xxx or an 11/12th gen Intel to run Windows 11 on, in 2024 or 2025 they'll announce Windows 12 and say "oh sorry, 14th gen and 5th-gen Ryzen only" and I'll be stuck with yet another security-updates-only-for-X-years box that performs just fine. I don't think this is a one-time "we want to reset the Windows platform with requirements A, B and C and we'll go back to how it used to be for the next two decades afterwards".

If they do that, they won't just shoot themselves in the foot. They'll blow off both their feet. I do hope they realise that.

Gamers will move to Linux (perhaps SteamOS). Rest will just abandon Windows over time as their hardware is no longer supported, and it'll be corporate only.