Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
You say you want a flight simulator. Really?

To be fair the pilots on the big airliners take off, set autopilot, and only are engaged in actual landing once the time comes. They are pretty much just sitting the whole time just like the passengers.

skline

Sep 9, 2009
nice, 10900k or 3950x?

i think i'll keep my 8700k for a few more years and maybe swap the 1070 for a 3000-series if they're available and (semi)affordable

i really REALLY want to play this and other games in 3440x1440 HDR
Running it with a 3900x/Radeon VII/32 g DDR4-3600 on a BenQ3501R at 3440x1440. Runs VERY well.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Just found out there is FS economy and another add on, third party also, called On Air Company. On air you pay for but it has a much nicer UI.

You basically create an account and it links into MS Flight simulator 2020. You then buy a plane to start out with, probably can only take a Cessna 152 at first. Then you sign up for jobs and it tracks you in the simulator and you get money for it. I think the downside to On Air is that you have to do the flights in real time.

FS economy site seems down about now.

Has anyone else tried these? I've been curious but have not done so because I've been mainly messing with the A320 although you don't really fly big airliners, the computer mainly does it.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Ok...I broke down and ordered a bunch of PC parts middle of the road with room to grow. I ended up with this:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
CoolerMaster Masterbox Q500L
EVGA 650watt power supply
MSI Tomahawk X570 with Wifi ATX motherboard...that board is a beast!
Gskill Ripjaws 32GB RAM (3200)
1TB Sabrient M.2 SSD
Gigabyte GTX 1660 Super (6GB)
Logitech K350/M510
Acer Dual 19" 1080p monitors I had on a shelf.

My concept was to get a board that could bump me up to a 4000 series CPU if I needed to. I don't want to overclock..I don't need to generate excessive heat if I don't need to.

I plugged in my old Wingman Force 3D. It doesn't seem to be giving me much force feedback and the sensitivity is really high. I'm going to likely need to replace this 15 or so year old controller...but it's good enough to learn...just a pain trying to get these controls mapped. I may need to figure out if Microsoft has a default controller that will work out of the box without much button customization. I tried flying a jet and my throttle is only mapped to engine #1...I'm going to have to burn time just setting those little details up.

I flew over Disney World a few minutes ago just to see details. I've run the Disneyworld Marathon 3 times now, so I know a lot of things about that property...it looks like most of the Bing maps data is older than it should be. This scenery is from 2014-2015, I'm guessing. Put that into perspective....there may be some issues coming. If they update imagery in bing maps data, will it be higher resolution (due to 5+ years elapsing between the last time they collected the data? If so, how will that effect performance of the subscriber (Flight Simulator) Perhaps, you should cache large chunks of common geography by electing to save it locally. There don't seem to be many settings like that, from what I can tell.

I need to crank up the video settings a little bit. The system hasn't really stumbled yet.

Cinderella Castle and Carousel of Progress
1599167832098.png
Expedition Everest:
1599167867803.png

Reactions: brianmanahan

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
Gskill Ripjaws 32GB RAM (3200)
1TB Sabrient M.2 SSD

nice, i just doubled up to the same size/speed of RAM and got a big SSD too

and now i'm eyeing one of those nvidia 3080s...

I plugged in my old Wingman Force 3D. It doesn't seem to be giving me much force feedback and the sensitivity is really high.

high sensitivity is a pain across a number of peripherals, my TFRP rudder pedals are super touchy. i think i can tweak the driver but it sounds like asobo's going to fix it soon.

if i'm feeling lazy i use the xbox 360 controller but it's not comparable to my yoke + pedals... and i managed to snag the honeycomb bravo throttle! should be coming in a month or two.

sswingle

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
Sorry if this has already been asked, but is there any way to see what Landing challenges have been completed, or what score I got last time?

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Sorry if this has already been asked, but is there any way to see what Landing challenges have been completed, or what score I got last time?
This is linked in with the Xbox app stuff. It keeps a lot of stats and challenge details. Windows key + G brings up the local one, not sure what you can sew, but I have the app my android phone. I keep getting achievements popping up there.

sswingle

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
Yes, that shows achievements...I was referring to the in-game landing challenges. While there is an achievement linked to this and shows a % completed, you would think there would be something in-game that indicates a completed landing or not.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Yes, that shows achievements...I was referring to the in-game landing challenges. While there is an achievement linked to this and shows a % completed, you would think there would be something in-game that indicates a completed landing or not.
I think that % completed is saying how many of the other players completed the challenge. The fact that you see it means you did too.

sswingle

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
Again, I'm not talking achievements, which yes they show % of everyone who has gotten it. I'm talking in-game LANDING CHALLENGES.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I really didn't look that closely, but the game is made for PC and Xbox. They'll sell more on Xbox than PC because it's a bigger gaming market (though I know it's not traditional for the flight sim market). Achievements is where they decided to cram those things because they have a hook for notifications.

If you want to see whether or not you're successful, go to the Profile tab from the main menu. Click Pilot Profile, and Landing Challenge is on the left side with 0/24....Bush Trip and Training is also listed there.
1599492286033.png

sswingle

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
So I guess the answer is NO, I cannot see which individual challenges I have completed or my past score on each challenge.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Are NYC airports in the standard version of the game? Also, is the Boeing 747 in the standard game? I loved trying to takeoff in a 747 at laguardia airport in previous games!

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Are NYC airports in the standard version of the game? Also, is the Boeing 747 in the standard game? I loved trying to takeoff in a 747 at laguardia airport in previous games!
I bought the standard version. I think all airports are included. They just did some extra credit details on the deluxe package to make it more photo-realistic.

Standard aircraft included for commercial jets are 747 and Airbus 320. There's also a Cessna Citation Jet. I flew a lot in Flight Sim X and can say that landing the big jets is far more challenging than it used to be. Of course, my controller has been acting up too...it makes these sudden jerks to the left and I have to unplug it to reset whatever's going on...always seems to happen on final. I'm in the market for a decent joystick or yoke from the looks of it.

Reactions: Oyeve

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I bought the standard version. I think all airports are included. They just did some extra credit details on the deluxe package to make it more photo-realistic.

Standard aircraft included for commercial jets are 747 and Airbus 320. There's also a Cessna Citation Jet. I flew a lot in Flight Sim X and can say that landing the big jets is far more challenging than it used to be. Of course, my controller has been acting up too...it makes these sudden jerks to the left and I have to unplug it to reset whatever's going on...always seems to happen on final. I'm in the market for a decent joystick or yoke from the looks of it.
Nice, gonna get it now. Thanks!

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012

I found the a320 pretty easy to land. The autopilot takes you all the way close to the vicinity, unless you have some complicated arrival star waypoint. The only thing it does not do properly is adjust your altitude in final which you kind of have to do manually while you are 5-10 miles out. I found out that it puts you way too high usually when activating approach mode and using ILS.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I found the a320 pretty easy to land. The autopilot takes you all the way close to the vicinity, unless you have some complicated arrival star waypoint. The only thing it does not do properly is adjust your altitude in final which you kind of have to do manually while you are 5-10 miles out. I found out that it puts you way too high usually when activating approach mode and using ILS.
Typically the bigger Jets have more sluggish controls. My problem is that my joystick is a 15 plus year old Saitek. It has something going on with its calibration and has a lot of weird feedback in flight. It's hard to maintain level flight because it keeps banking to the right suddenly...so it may be easy to land them if you don't have a controller simulating 100 knot crosswinds. 😛

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
This looks freaking amazing on a 32:9. I went and checked out my house and it was fully 3d, even the pergola I built out back a couple years back was there. Nuts.

Reactions: brianmanahan

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
What controller should I get? I'm thinking about tossing out my Saitek joystick and driver's don't seem to be working well on my force feedback pro 3d anymore. It may be time to get something else. I would like to get a yoke, but a joystick seems more practical.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
What controller should I get? I'm thinking about tossing out my Saitek joystick and driver's don't seem to be working well on my force feedback pro 3d anymore. It may be time to get something else. I would like to get a yoke, but a joystick seems more practical.

unfortunately most things are sold out now due to MSFS demand and COVID supply issues.

an xbox controller is a possibility. when i just want to play around and gawk at scenery i'll occasionally use that.

i got the honeycomb alpha yoke for 250$ and it is pretty nice. not the highest end, but a solid deal compared to ones that cost 2-3 times that

they also just released the honeycomb bravo throttle for 250$ as well. the demand was crazy but i managed to pre-order it, should get it in a couple months. logitech has a cheap one for 60$ that i almost got on amazon but it literally sold out while i had it in my cart, and they're probably going for around 100$ now. in the meantime i just use the keyboard :(

and for rudder pedals i got some thrustmaster TFRP pedals (normally < 100$ but i had to pay like 130$ due to demand). they feel a little flimsy/plasticky but haven't had any problems yet. the biggest issue is really that MSFS default sensitivity for rudder pedals seems way too high. i think i can fix that in the thrustmaster config utility but haven't done it yet.