Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
oh yeah, turn on all traffic before starting the flight

the ATC always yells at me but i rarely listen

i just landed my icon in crater lake with live weather on... freaking gorgeous! plus little cars driving on the auto-detected road around the rim.

3ntlRYK.png
How do you change views like that? I wish VR would be available already because I can't manage the camera and do any of the flights VFR without being able to see where I'm navigating.

I also think I found some type of bug related to the navigation assistance option. Loaded up an A380 from my home airport. Once I got the checklist done, the instructions on screen told me to use the on screen navigation prompts to taxi to the designated area.

Assume it means follow it to the take off runway but this marker was no where near the required runway entrance.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
How do you change views like that? I wish VR would be available already because I can't manage the camera and do any of the flights VFR without being able to see where I'm navigating.

I also think I found some type of bug related to the navigation assistance option. Loaded up an A380 from my home airport. Once I got the checklist done, the instructions on screen told me to use the on screen navigation prompts to taxi to the designated area.

Assume it means follow it to the take off runway but this marker was no where near the required runway entrance.

my yoke has a button that is mapped to it - i think it's called change camera mode, or something like that. i do fly in cockpit view most of the time, just had to get some nice screenshots.

yeah the camera viewpoint controls need work and it's totally possible that the A380 has a lot of bugs or missing features. i've heard that light aircraft are in a lot better shape at this point than the airliners, and i haven't flow any of the big boys. most simmers will probably use 3rd party stuff from PMDG and other devs when they make those available.

Achilles97

May 10, 2000
I've gathered that there is not a career or progression system in the game currently?

I have an old Saitek X45 hotas but I sold my rudder pedals years ago when I stopped playing IL2. What is your recommendation of the following:
  1. my old X45 + new rudder pedals
  2. a new HOTAS with twist rudder (I don't like the X45 rocker rudder)
  3. a new yoke system

Thank you!

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I've gathered that there is not a career or progression system in the game currently?

I have an old Saitek X45 hotas but I sold my rudder pedals years ago when I stopped playing IL2. What is your recommendation of the following:
  1. my old X45 + new rudder pedals
  2. a new HOTAS with twist rudder (I don't like the X45 rocker rudder)
  3. a new yoke system

Thank you!
If you want to save money stick with your current X45 and get TFRP pedals. In fact I have an x52 pro stick and throttle I don't use anymore I'd be willing to part with..been sitting in my closet for years. It has twist axis too. I need to stop hoarding this stuff.

I've gone nuts with flight sim gear over the years so I upgraded to a VKB MCG Pro stick and base which offers a lot of customizable internals.

I too am disappointed that MSF2020 doesn't have any carerer progression or missions at least like FSX had.

I tried one of the bush plane flights. For some reason I could not change the plane and it was really hard to navigate since you can't really move the camera easily to see what you are looking for. If you use the vfr map to mark your position you won't get the achievement.

This plane had only a compass so the headings in the nav log made no sense. They tell you in the training flight that navigating via compass only is no good.

Reactions: Achilles97

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
If you want to save money stick with your current X45 and get TFRP pedals. In fact I have an x52 pro stick and throttle I don't use anymore I'd be willing to part with..been sitting in my closet for years. It has twist axis too. I need to stop hoarding this stuff.

I've gone nuts with flight sim gear over the years so I upgraded to a VKB MCG Pro stick and base which offers a lot of customizable internals.

I too am disappointed that MSF2020 doesn't have any carerer progression or missions at least like FSX had.

I tried one of the bush plane flights. For some reason I could not change the plane and it was really hard to navigate since you can't really move the camera easily to see what you are looking for. If you use the vfr map to mark your position you won't get the achievement.

This plane had only a compass so the headings in the nav log made no sense. They tell you in the training flight that navigating via compass only is no good.
Yeah its weird they spent 10 years making this, it costs 60 bucks, and all they have is a sandbox mode with a handful of planes. If you want a couple more planes you need to spend 90 and 120 dollars. Thats ridiculous.
Mapping the world is a nice touch, but they had already done that with Bing maps without even thinking about their flight simulator.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Yeah its weird they spent 10 years making this, it costs 60 bucks, and all they have is a sandbox mode with a handful of planes. If you want a couple more planes you need to spend 90 and 120 dollars. Thats ridiculous.
Mapping the world is a nice touch, but they had already done that with Bing maps without even thinking about their flight simulator.
My guess is this opens it up to third party devs to make things like missions similar to what FSX had. I always imagined a better version of flight simulator, would be like truck simulator, where you can progress and such, going from Cessna to a twin engine, to an airliner. Perhaps add in missions that test your skills and you have to qualify for VRF and ILS, etc. Would be nice and keep things engaging.

I like to have a purpose for these type of Sims even if they are study Sims.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004

No VR support at launch either:

VR would be pretty dope with the graphics quality of 2020!

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
No VR support at launch either:

VR would be pretty dope with the graphics quality of 2020!
It will have VR support after the Reverb G2 launches..not sure exactly when after it comes out. But it's one of the first headsets to get support. Other headset support will come later. Would be helpful because I can't use my HOTAS and keyboard at the same time for VFR flights.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
It will have VR support after the Reverb G2 launches..not sure exactly when after it comes out. But it's one of the first headsets to get support. Other headset support will come later. Would be helpful because I can't use my HOTAS and keyboard at the same time for VFR flights.

Yeah, and I'm trying to figure out if I want to spend $600 (pre-order price) on the G2. My Vive has no issues, but I have a family member who would be willing to buy it for a couple hundred, so that would knock the Reverb price down for me. Already have a gaming computer (older 1080 Ti), so it'd pretty much just be a hardware swap. MFS2020 is getting pretty mixed reviews right now tho & honestly I have no problems with my Vive, so I dunno. I can wait. The G2 doesn't seem compelling enough to go out & spend hundreds of dollars on it over what I have now.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Yeah, and I'm trying to figure out if I want to spend $600 (pre-order price) on the G2. My Vive has no issues, but I have a family member who would be willing to buy it for a couple hundred, so that would knock the Reverb price down for me. Already have a gaming computer (older 1080 Ti), so it'd pretty much just be a hardware swap. MFS2020 is getting pretty mixed reviews right now tho & honestly I have no problems with my Vive, so I dunno. I can wait. The G2 doesn't seem compelling enough to go out & spend hundreds of dollars on it over what I have now.
Resolution itself on the G2 will be better than the Vive...2160 per eye. I believe the lenses are even made by Valve and Microsoft together. I use an HP Reverb in a Digital Combat simulator and the resolution makes it a big difference for me compared to what I've used before(oculus Cv1 and Samsung original Odyssey).

Obviously the index has a bigger FOV but I think for clarity and reading instruments the G2 will be better there. It's a personal preference trade off I guess.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Resolution itself on the G2 will be better than the Vive...2160 per eye. I believe the lenses are even made by Valve and Microsoft together. I use an HP Reverb in a Digital Combat simulator and the resolution makes it a big difference for me compared to what I've used before(oculus Cv1 and Samsung original Odyssey).

Obviously the index has a bigger FOV but I think for clarity and reading instruments the G2 will be better there. It's a personal preference trade off I guess.

I'm definitely interested to try it. At some point I'd like to build a rotating cockpit that can swivel between a steering wheel, flight controls, and a keyboard/mouse for both a big screen & VR. Having more detail would definitely be welcome!

I'm also looking forward to being able to do remote desktop in VR & have stuff be nice & sharp & readable without eyestrain. I dunno if 11K screens would fix that or not (let alone 2K screens), but hopefully Facebook's plan includes that stuff down the road!

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I'm definitely interested to try it. At some point I'd like to build a rotating cockpit that can swivel between a steering wheel, flight controls, and a keyboard/mouse for both a big screen & VR. Having more detail would definitely be welcome!

I'm also looking forward to being able to do remote desktop in VR & have stuff be nice & sharp & readable without eyestrain. I dunno if 11K screens would fix that or not (let alone 2K screens), but hopefully Facebook's plan includes that stuff down the road!
At some point, buying a quarter ownership in a Cessna 152 is cheaper....or even taking lessons with an instructor is more exciting.

I've seen some really awesome flight simulator setups, but I don't want to be totally immersed when the real thing is there.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
At some point, buying a quarter ownership in a Cessna 152 is cheaper....or even taking lessons with an instructor is more exciting.

I've seen some really awesome flight simulator setups, but I don't want to be totally immersed when the real thing is there.
Yea I'd love to take lessons. I only had one and if I wanted to pursue the license it was expensive at the time. Right now the closest airport to me is pretty far. With my work and being on call randomly it's not very ideal.

VR is the closest thing to that and honestly if you have at least a 1080ti you will be fine to run any headset. Of course I'll upgrade to the 3080ti but the reverb right now does the job.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I ordered pc parts last week. I got my processor today in the mail. Just waiting on the rest of it.... should be playing by this weekend.

Reactions: brianmanahan

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
I ordered pc parts last week. I got my processor today in the mail. Just waiting on the rest of it.... should be playing by this weekend.

nice, 10900k or 3950x?

i think i'll keep my 8700k for a few more years and maybe swap the 1070 for a 3000-series if they're available and (semi)affordable

i really REALLY want to play this and other games in 3440x1440 HDR

Reactions: Arkaign

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Any of you guys done a REALLY long trip yet?
Like Sydney to London?
I was just about to fly from one of the airports in Washington DC to Athens Greece. Was trying to immitate my girlfriend's flight tonight. Lucky gal has dual citizenship so she gets to go on vacation to her home country while I'm still stuck not able to travel to Europe since the EU isn't letting US citizens in.

Unfortunately, I'm not too familiar with the Airbus A320 and I couldn't figure out the flight plan or if I needed to input more information into the MDU computer. I was looking for a way to simulate speeding up the time too but I didn't find the control bindings for that. Need to work tomorrow morning so I can't do a 9hr flight non stop.

I hear you can save your flight mid air but from what I've been reading, when you boot it back up your whole flight plan can get messed up.

I often see many people on youtube use sim brief to set up a route to fly and then input all that information into the flight computer. Not sure if this is absolutely necessary if you select a to and from destination like I did from the world map?

I ended up continuing the Sierra Nevada bush trip and got all the way to leg 6, but that's getting pretty boring I suppose.

Last edited:

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Do you know what would be perfect for this game? The game-play of Euro Truck simulator. You start off flying small cargo in a Cessna, then work your way up to flying passengers and cargo across the world for money and build an empire. I know its an amazing niche sim, however if it included a little more fun elements it would really explode in popularity.

Reactions: Achilles97

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Do you know what would be perfect for this game? The game-play of Euro Truck simulator. You start off flying small cargo in a Cessna, then work your way up to flying passengers and cargo across the world for money and build an empire. I know its an amazing niche sim, however if it included a little more fun elements it would really explode in popularity.
I was thinking the same thing! I think FSX had a mod for this? Of course the game would also need to show you some training on the different models you move up to. But it would give the sim a purpose besides just open sandbox. I mean it's also a console game so I can't even imagine someone playing this on Xbox especially trying to fly an airliner with the controller. It needs to have missions or something more concrete.

I imagined a similar career mode too in this version but sadly it's not a thing.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
MANY people all over the interwebs have already stated the game needed a career mode.
Thats life.