Michigan LOSES to Appalachian state 34-32

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Originally posted by: touchmyichi
In 2005 UC Davis (my school, whoot!) beat stanford. That was the best a I-AA team did before this.

2 years later this happened. Too bad this will overshadow my school, but I think that both of these may show that the gap is closing a little.

Yup definitely. It also shows that pre-season rankings don't mean jack.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
In 2005 UC Davis (my school, whoot!) beat stanford. That was the best a I-AA team did before this.
Yeah, but Stanfurd sucks.

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
Originally posted by: her209

I'm guessing you didn't attend ;)

Amazing upset to start the season.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Man did the stars align just right for this game...I really don't think Appalachian state is that good or Michigan that bad, things just happened perfectly to allow the game to end up the way it did.

Heck, all the bonehead stuff Appalachian state did - so many false-starts when they were 1st and goal to go putting them beyond the 10, dropping perfect passes, heck even their game-winning field goal on 1st and goal on the 5 with 30 seconds left and they were on the far left hashmark to boot (making it a harder kick), run the ball to the right for f***s sake, is their coach really that retarded? Sure no time outs, but it would then be 2nd and goal (if not a touchdown or a far more unlikely fumble), closer and and in better position, you then spike the ball to stop the clock after you get the clock down from :30 seconds to something closer to 10 seconds. Then it would still be only 3rd down with enough time to recover from a bad snap. Then kick the field goal and there wouldn't be any time left or certainly not enough for Michigan to move into field goal range to steal the win away (which they actually did, Appalachian state got lucky with a field goal block to preserve the win (to make things worse, this was actually their second blocked FG - how often does that happen? you certainly can't count on it even just once)...which they did deserve the win...my point is to express that they really weren't that good, they were just overachievers while Michigan was underachieving)

Man what a game, amazing way to start the season for college football, that's for sure.

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005
Seriously.....I've been a huge Michigan fan all my life but I want to see Carr get fired. BADLY. U-M has such talent and they don't use it solely because of Carr and his conservative play. I hope the bottom falls out from this loss and U-M sucks a hard one all season long so Carr will either get fired or leave.

I'm tired of watching nail-biters against crap teams and then of course today's loss as we go down in football infamy.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: glenn beck
the only positive for Michigan is that it happened the beginning of the year

Their season in terms of BCS games is over, unless they can run the table in conference play which isn't likely given todays game. They will drop out of the top 25, probably to 30ish.

Tangerines

Oct 20, 2005
I've been a lifelong Michigan fan, and while this was bad, it could be a lot worse. At least this didn't happen in a championship game like with OSU. Oh well, they'll still make a bowl game, if not the championship.

Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Fingolfin269

Apparently Michigan does as well. :p

No but Stanfurd really sucks.... like seriously. It's just a pain if you're on their team watching those games. Even back when I was in HS and I watched their games they totally blew.

Anyways.... it's time to make fun of my Michigan friends =)

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Tangerines
I've been a lifelong Michigan fan, and while this was bad, it could be a lot worse. At least this didn't happen in a championship game like with OSU. Oh well, they'll still make a bowl game, if not the championship.

Sorry, dude, there is no way they are going to the BCS Championship game, even if all other teams have one loss, heck even two.

xboxist

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2002
Originally posted by: jjones
Looks like Michigan will be playing in the toilet bowl come the end of the year.

Wow Carr, how in the hell could you have your team this unprepared? I really do think he has to go. A lifetime of 9-2 and 8-3 seasons would be considered a success in most other parts of the country, but this state has had enough of your inability to adapt.

Tangerines

Oct 20, 2005
Originally posted by: CPA

Sorry, dude, there is no way they are going to the BCS Championship game, even if all other teams have one loss, heck even two.

Err, yeah that's kind of what I meant. Let me rephrase what I was trying to say:

Even though Michigan won't make the championship, they'll still make a bowl game.

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
Originally posted by: CPA

Err, yeah that's kind of what I meant. Let me rephrase what I was trying to say:

Even though Michigan won't make the championship, they'll still make a bowl game.

They can still make a BCS bowl by:

a. Winning the Big Ten Championship Or
b. Finish the season with just this single loss.

Marinski

Golden Member
Apr 5, 2006
classicboxingfights.blogspot.com
I think Lord Carr's days are numbered. They can blow Carr out of town now that Schembechler, who supported Carr, is not in the picture. Bring in somebody to get the job done and win the big games, like Ohio State. Michigan lost alot of the states best recruits last year to out of state schools and even MSU has done a better job at recruiting in state talent than U of M. Honestly, I didn't think they would lose this game but I won't be surprised if they have a crappy season. I thought they were way overated this year.

jmanny

Apr 12, 2007
My son attends App State and is in the football teams dorm. He's home for the weekend...he wants to go back tomorrow to join in the celebration! Can't blame him, what a HUGH win for that football program. And a HUGH loss for Michigan. If Loyd Carrs chair wa hot before his Ass must be on fire about now.

QurazyQuisp

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2003
This game ended about 10 minutes after our game against UAB ended. I was walking out of Spartan Stadium and the whole campus erupted with cheering. This game honestly made my day...

I cannot wait for 11/03... Granted, I don't think we'll be amazing by any means this year, I'm excited to see what will happen this year.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: DeathBUA
Seriously.....I've been a huge Michigan fan all my life but I want to see Carr get fired. BADLY. U-M has such talent and they don't use it solely because of Carr and his conservative play. I hope the bottom falls out from this loss and U-M sucks a hard one all season long so Carr will either get fired or leave.

I'm tired of watching nail-biters against crap teams and then of course today's loss as we go down in football infamy.

To be fair, App St. is far from a crap team.

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Originally posted by: ropeadope

I'm guessing you didn't attend ;)

Amazing upset to start the season.

Stanford went 1-11 last year. And then they lost today 45-17 in a crapfest. It's a foregone conclusion: stanford sucks.

w3stfa11

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2006
How far will they drop from the polls? Some ESPN guy said they might drop out of the top 25.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Excelsior
Originally posted by: DeathBUA

To be fair, App St. is far from a crap team.

1-AA team. Doesn't matter if they are the 1-AA champions or not, they are still 1-AA.