Michigan LOSES to Appalachian state 34-32

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: w3stfa11
How far will they drop from the polls? Some ESPN guy said they might drop out of the top 25.
Out of the top 25 and Carr is going to have to fall on a sword.

GenHoth

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2007
Originally posted by: vi_edit
Suck it big Blue!

:p

As a Hawkeye fan, I know far too much about Michigan coming back and winning. :(
Word, I'm so happy that Michigan lost!

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: Queasy
Originally posted by: Excelsior
Originally posted by: DeathBUA
Seriously.....I've been a huge Michigan fan all my life but I want to see Carr get fired. BADLY. U-M has such talent and they don't use it solely because of Carr and his conservative play. I hope the bottom falls out from this loss and U-M sucks a hard one all season long so Carr will either get fired or leave.

I'm tired of watching nail-biters against crap teams and then of course today's loss as we go down in football infamy.
To be fair, App St. is far from a crap team.
1-AA team. Doesn't matter if they are the 1-AA champions or not, they are still 1-AA.
He implied they were a crap team. They aren't a crap team. Doesn't matter if they are 1-A or 1-AA, they aren't a crap team.

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
You lose the right to have "Hail to the Victors" as your fight song when you lose to a D2 school at home.

Michigan's National Title Hopes and Bo Schemblecher - both dead.

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Gobadgrs
You lose the right to have "Hail to the Victors" as your fight song when you lose to a D2 school at home.

They aren't a D2 school. They're a Div I-AA(Football Championship Subdivision) school. Plus they've won the I-AA national championship the last 2 years. They're not slouches.

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
Originally posted by: KLin

They aren't a D2 school. They're a Div I-AA(Football Championship Subdivision) school. Plus they've won the I-AA national championship the last 2 years. They're not slouches.
You must be a Michigan fan. Way to try to sugarcoat the fact that Michigan is the first ranked team in history to lose to a D1-AA team ever.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001

You must be a Michigan fan. Way to try to sugarcoat the fact that Michigan is the first ranked team in history to lose to a D1-AA team ever.
Yep. Everyone expected Notre Dame to struggle. Michigan was considered a darkhorse for the BCS Championship. This is the worst loss for a team ranked in the top 10...EVER.

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000

hahahahahaha. yeah, try to sugarcoat it. michigan got embarrassed today.

bigsnyder

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2004
Just for clarfication, both schools are division I, though FBS schools like Michigan are generally bigger programs.
FBS schools generally can have up to 85 players on full scholarships, FCS schools can have up to 63 (though FCS
schools can divide up funds to give partial scholarships up to a grand total 85 players receiving assistance).
Division I FBS also has an attendance requirement of an avg 15,000 per home game every other year which ASU
easily meets even though FCS has no such requirement.

Division I criteria

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
Originally posted by: fisher

No shit sherlock. I was pointing out that they're not a division 2 school.

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000

No shit sherlock. I was pointing out that they're not a division 2 school.
:D uh huh.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
How far will they drop from the polls? Some ESPN guy said they might drop out of the top 25.
That's a bit too far of a drop. I'd expect high teens, maybe top 20's, but don't expect them to completely drop out. I don't remember the last time a team that high dropped out of the top 25 from one loss.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH
That's a bit too far of a drop. I'd expect high teens, maybe top 20's, but don't expect them to completely drop out. I don't remember the last time a team that high dropped out of the top 25 from one loss.
but this was pre-season ranking, and not a rank they earned after half a season. Given that, it's quite possible they will drop quite a bit, and lookin forward to seeing Ohio State in the Top 10 like they belong... stupid pre-season ranking.

RKS

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
True, but you have never seen a ranked I-A lose to a I-AA opponent either.

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
Almost a perfect day!

The Skunk Weasles get embarrassed in the Pig House, and Notre Dame got their asses kicked.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
Man...so we left for lunch today (the game wasn't on out here in California) and I called a friend...he said that they were still playing, but we had just made a FG to make it 32-31. I just assumed that we finally found our heads and the game was good. 10 minutes later, I get a text saying "I think I'm going to puke"...what a horrible day.

I don't know what's worse, being out here where I couldn't watch the game or actually being at such an embarrassing game...my sister knows Hart quite well, so I feel extremely bad for him and Jake Long...Henne can bite me, I've never thought he was that impressive of a QB, even if he does have good stats.

I've been beside myself all day, I don't quite know what to think. The poll results should be interesting.

:(

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

Originally posted by: Tangerines
I've been a lifelong Michigan fan, and while this was bad, it could be a lot worse. At least this didn't happen in a championship game like with OSU. Oh well, they'll still make a bowl game, if not the championship.
i would rather get punked in the bcs title game than at home to a 1AA team. no one remembers who lost in the title game after a couple years, but this one will live forever.

dbk

Lifer
Apr 23, 2004
Armani Edwards is pretty nasty though. I wish we'd put Tyrod Taylor in. HEH

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002
Originally posted by: ropeadope
Originally posted by: her209
I'm guessing you didn't attend ;)
:confused:
Because you spelled Stanford as "Stanfurd".
Apparantly you're not familiar with how things roll because 'Stanfurd' is spelled that way on purpose when referring to Stanford in a degrading tone. UC Berkeley (my school) students pick on Stanford too and we do the same.

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000
Originally posted by: TuxDave
Apparantly you're not familiar with how things roll because 'Stanfurd' is spelled that way on purpose when referring to Stanford in a degrading tone. UC Berkeley (my school) students pick on Stanford too and we do the same.
why are you even in this thread?

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000
according to the announcers a ranked team has NEVER been beaten by a 1-AA team. EVER.

Jun 27, 2005
This is a beautiful day. As a die-hard Pac-10 guy all I can do is laugh and crack a beer for Appalachian State. I might not be able to spell it... But so what! Good on ya guys!

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
Originally posted by: TuxDave
why are you even in this thread?
Who are you talking to?

How is "Stanfurd" degrading? Why not Stanturd? Doesn't sound great but makes more sense ;)

People are saying this Michigan game was the biggest upset in NCAA football history...true or no? I wonder. I think not, as huge of an upset as it was.

ASK THE COMMUNITY