Merrill Lynch being sold + Lehman Brothers filing for bankruptcy

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
Geesh...i did not realize the economy was this bad....

when I was in college...business majors were begging to work at firms like merril lynch....man...maybe it was better that all my friends failed at getting jobs there.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I used to work for the main ferry company in NYC... most of our regular clients were commuters down to Wall St. and they were all giant self-important douchebags.

it secretly makes me a little happy to think that some of those DB's might be going broke today.

sohcrates

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2000
huge number of grads my from school went into investment banking and what not. gotta be a rough time to be graduating right now.

lehman is a huge client of my buddies law firm. apparently they have to continue to do work for them, even though they know they wont get paid now. ugly scenario

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
I got quite lucky...didn't interview at Lehmans, didn't hear anything back from Bears after the 2nd interview...

A mate interviewed at Lehmans and was turned down due to his excessively stylish hair :p haha.

It's completely savage that they put so much money in to one basket like that...

Koing

Vonkhan

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
Not good

Not good

Not good

... my company is (was???) going to host an ultra upscale weekend wine tasting with Merrill Lynch in a couple of weeks, huge source of ad revenue - shitsssss, now what?!!!

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Don't forget AIG, another victim of the housing problems.
They were worth $200 billion, now worth $15 billion. They are going to announce how they plan to survive this morning. They lost %30 of their value since friday.

ICRS

Banned
Apr 20, 2008
How is wells fargo looking?

What about LBDP (Lehman Brothers Derivative Products)? what will happen to LBDP now that the parent company is bankrupt. LBDP is a AAA entity.

abaez

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Originally posted by: Modelworks
They were worth $200 billion, now worth $15 billion. They are going to announce how they plan to survive this morning. They lost %30 of their value since friday.

Apparently the plan is to ask for a handout.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: abaez

why not? seems the government is being pretty generous with taxpayer money

darkxshade

Lifer
Mar 31, 2001
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: abaez

why not? seems the government is being pretty generous with taxpayer money

It's like me asking my parents for money to pay for cost of living after losing my life savings gambing in Vegas.

edit: actually the money they give me would instead go towards paying off loan sharks.

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005

Victim my ass, they rode the gravy train as far as it would go.

TheoPetro

Banned
Nov 30, 2004
meh if were gonna bail out the "poor" home owner who was "taken advantage of" then we may as well bail out the banks too. After all many of them thought they were purchasing AAA rated paper. IMO if AIG gets bailed out too it just creates a HUGE moral hazard.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: TheoPetro
meh if were gonna bail out the "poor" home owner who was "taken advantage of" then we may as well bail out the banks too. After all many of them thought they were purchasing AAA rated paper. IMO if AIG gets bailed out too it just creates a HUGE moral hazard.

Well, we bail out on a regular basis all the folks that decide to live and rebuild in hurricane devastated/natural disaster prone areas.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Originally posted by: her209
I have NEVER EVER had a problem with Bank of America customer service. BoA member since 1997.
Same here, and their new ATMs kick ass.

Same here. No real problems so far. I really have not had to ask them to fix much of anything though.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Slew Foot

Victim my ass, they rode the gravy train as far as it would go.

They all did. Milked it for everything they could get, knowing it was going to melt down someday, hoping that they all got their millions before it hit the fan. And they don't have to answer for it - they get to keep all the money they "earned" when things were booming.

ICRS

Banned
Apr 20, 2008
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman

Well, we bail out on a regular basis all the folks that decide to live and rebuild in hurricane devastated/natural disaster prone areas.

Which is stupid, since they aren't victims of a hurricane/natural disaster. They are victims of their own stupidity.

darkxshade

Lifer
Mar 31, 2001
Originally posted by: ICRS

Which is stupid, since they aren't victims of a hurricane/natural disaster. They are victims of their own stupidity.

The victims are those who will lose their jobs as a result and had nothing to do with this huge mess.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

i agree. if they don't want to purchase or can't get insurance then rebuilidng is up to them.

i sure don't want my tax money going to rebuild there.

ivan2

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2000
www.heatware.com
How is wells fargo looking?

What about LBDP (Lehman Brothers Derivative Products)? what will happen to LBDP now that the parent company is bankrupt. LBDP is a AAA entity.

not bad enough, i had short position with them betting on some wamu owning action...

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Richard Fuld's holding in Lehman is worth about 2.4M now, it was close to 690M a year ago... I think all golden parachute packages should be in the stocks of said company, valued at the highest point. That way, we can make sure these bastards don't get paid to tank a company.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Xavier434
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Originally posted by: her209
I have NEVER EVER had a problem with Bank of America customer service. BoA member since 1997.
Same here, and their new ATMs kick ass.

Same here. No real problems so far. I really have not had to ask them to fix much of anything though.

I had a problem where they didn't process my CC payment correctly when I was closing it out, didn't notify me of a (false) outstanding balance and hit my credit. OTOH, I was able to call and resolve the issue, and have the hit removed from my report. So...it's a PITA when they screw up in the first place, but their CS dept has, for me, been willing to help.