Men's 'Sweet 16' Graduation Rates

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: CLite
Originally posted by: Dari
:laugh: Stop being an ass when you know little about me.

But my fondest times on anandtech are calling out internet heroes.

Anyways if I actually wanted to stay on topic I could discuss how extremely difficult balancing sports and academia is. I actually did track freshman year in undergraduate, it was about 2-3 hour workouts 6 days a week, with captain's practice on Sunday. The season lasted from school opening to close in May. The spring track season involved road trips almost every weekend. All of this combined with an engineering curriculum and the desire to have a social life was extremely difficult. I got an injury in late spring and said fuck it no more of this.

So I truly feel bad for these guys because the majority are not going to be pro players and without a college degree they will most likely become high school coaches/burger flippers/salesmen. The schools are making bank off them and they are essentially being paid pennies on the dollar when you consider the schools' disdain for allowing the athletes to take time to study/etc.

You calling me an internet heroe is like the pot calling the kettle black. You calling me out is based on a lot of guesswork, but enjoy it if you like. I'm confident of my academic achievements to not warrant further discussion of them. Nevertheless, feel free to search the forum if you like but I won't bother to answer going forward.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: Genx87
Originally posted by: evident
Aren't you supposed to graduate from undergrad in four years or less? Who stays longer than that?

Most students. afaik the avg time to graduate for everbody is 5 years.

uhh, most people graduate from 4 year programs in 4 years. If i come back to my 4 year school the next year, will i see more than half of the expected graduating class to still be there? no way!
unless if there are more 5 year school programs than 4 year ones, that's just not right.

that's not saying it's not smart to be there another year or so because it's so much fun, but most people do graduate within the schedule time. hell i wish i was in college for another year but i dont have the bankroll like alot of you kids on here.

getting back on topic of NCAA- you can really see which schools and programs emphasize on their academics more than just the sports and trying to get their athletes a degree. i know at nova each athlete gets a tutor and everything, but im sure there are lots of cases where they get alot of lenience and leeway w/ their grades

http://www.collegeboard.com/pa...arships-aid/36990.html

While it dropped a little from the early 90's. Public insititutions took 4.8 years to graduate on avg. Private 4.3. In the early 90s it was 5 year even for both.

There are certainly private institutions that have programs that will get you out in 4 if you follow their curriculum to a T. That means no dropping of classes and you make the grades in each pre-req.

Go straight to the NCES.

The average time for a student who started a 4 year university and only attended 1 institution is 4.5 years. Those who started a 4 year university and attended two Institutions is 4.9 years. Those who started at a 4 year university and attended three instituitions average 5.5 years.

The average time for a student who started at a 2 year college and transfered to a 4 year university is 6 years.

Everything averages out to 5.1 years. Your College Board numbers DO NOT take into account JuCo transfer students.

There are currently a very large number of people attending 2 year colleges. It is comparable to the number attending 4 year universities. So JuCo transfer numbers do matter. More so since the better JuCo's have 90%+ of their students go on to complete a B.A. or B.S.

But the bottom line is, the over all national graduation rate of students that matriculate is 35% of matriculating students graduate within 4 years. 21% of people who start college graduate take 6 years. Another 10-15% graduate in over 6 years.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: miketheidiot
Aren't you supposed to graduate from undergrad in four years or less? Who stays longer than that?

Most students. afaik the avg time to graduate for everbody is 5 years.

How is that possible? I've never heard of anyone staying beyond four years (most get out of there in two) unless they take a year off.

how the hell do you graduate in 2 years? Some majors i doubt that its even possible, where you need to take a year full of intro classes to even start major coursework.

for engineering you need to have through calc2 to start, for accounting you need a year of intro business classes to start the intro accounting classes, so you will be 2 years in before you can even take a class above 200 level. Most of my econ classes had 4 semesters of prereqs to get into.

By taking college courses before entering college (either in your high school or at a local college) and summer school. In fact, you can take all your required courses during the summer if you have the will. Then you spend your last year in college doing research.

EDIT: I can't think of any reason why you'd want to spend more time in undergrad than you have to. Seriously, a lot of the people trying to "find themselves" end up wasting their parents' money.

osrry, my school didn't accept highschool credit, and the sophmore level classes are not offered in the summer.