Men's 'Sweet 16' Graduation Rates

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Read 'em and weep - APR is up from last year.

Louisville . . . . 42% (941)
Arizona . . . . . 20% (933)

Kansas . . . . . 64% (981)
Mich. State . . 60% (963)

UConn . . . . . 33% (946)
Purdue . . . . . 77% (894)

Mizzou. . . . . 36% (957)
Memphis . . . 55% (927)

Pitt. . . . . . . 69% (935)
Xavier. . . . . 82% (977)

Villanova. . . 89% (990)
Dook . . . . . 89% (984)

Carolina . . . 86% (995)
Gonzaga. . . 67% (965)

Syracuse. . . 50% (955)
Oklahoma. . 55% (911)

The Graduation Success Rate (GSR) percentage is the rate for men's basketball players who graduated within six years of enrollment. The number in parenthesis designates the Academic Progress Rate (APR) submitted by the institutions for the 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, and 2006-07 academic years. An institution that falls below 925 is subject to the revocation of 'scholarships'.

Here is the total field breakout.

Men's NCAA basketball 'D-I' gets 13 scholarships per college (women get 15). Most get reasonable degrees but Florida State has caught considerable grief recently for a bogus online 'music appreciation' course (note their 100% graduation rate).

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I am curious how this compares to the general population. How many students who enroll graduate within 6 years?

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: Genx87
I am curious how this compares to the general population. How many students who enroll graduate within 6 years?

That info can be gleaned from the NCAA web site with the raw data by institution.

A reasonable question - but not all general students get full 'free rides' like the athletes.

Most institutions have supplemental grants that pay the full way after their athletic term has expired.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
True and most students who don't play basketball generate 0 dollars for the university/community while in college.
Let's be honest here, most people who watch college basketball don't even consider that these guys are in college. In other words they couldn't care less if they graduate in 4,6,10, ever.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: heyheybooboo

That info can be gleaned from the NCAA web site with the raw data by institution.

A reasonable question - but not all general students get full 'free rides' like the athletes.

Most institutions have supplemental grants that pay the full way after their athletic term has expired.

Not all athletes get full rides either. Football and possibly basketball are the only two. The lesser sports are usually partial due to the low number of actual scholarships vs the the amount of players. Track gets like 6 scholarships and they are typically spread to distance runners since they can do CC in the fall.

Also most students dont generate any income for the univerisity via their scholarship like student athletes do. I believe Georgia cleared 46 million in profit last year from their football team. Meaning of the 85 scholarships on the team each player generated nearly a half million for that ~20K in scholarship money. Nice return if you ask me.

And the avg student may work in their off hours. I dare them to run through a football programs schedule and see how their grades work out. Spending 8 hours at starbucks is hell of a lot easier than spending 8 hours practicing, working out, and watching film.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Exactly why I don't care about college (semi-pro) sports. If I want to watch paid athletes, I'll watch those who don't pretend otherwise. "Student"-athlete is such a sham. That, and all the schools I attended generally had crappy football/basketball teams anyway! ;)

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Yup.

F-ball and b-ball are the big money makers. Some of the football numbers are staggering.

The big BCS programs make at least $20 million in profits each year.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Aren't you supposed to graduate from undergrad in four years or less? Who stays longer than that?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Dari
Aren't you supposed to graduate from undergrad in four years or less? Who stays longer than that?

Most students. afaik the avg time to graduate for everbody is 5 years.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

How is that possible? I've never heard of anyone staying beyond four years (most get out of there in two) unless they take a year off.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004

How is that possible? I've never heard of anyone staying beyond four years (most get out of there in two) unless they take a year off.

There was a thing on NPR this morning talking about this. I can't remember if it was 40% were greater than 4 years or 40% made it in 4 years. Either way, I was surprised it was that high. I know I sure as fuck wasn't going to be paying for extra years.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003

Most get out in two? You either only know geniuses or community colleges.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

What do you mean how is it possible? They work, dont take the max load, and graduate in over 4 years. I actually only know 1 person who graduated in 4 years. Everybody else did it in 5, including myself.

And where is this that the norm is getting out in 2 years?

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004

how the hell do you graduate in 2 years? Some majors i doubt that its even possible, where you need to take a year full of intro classes to even start major coursework.

for engineering you need to have through calc2 to start, for accounting you need a year of intro business classes to start the intro accounting classes, so you will be 2 years in before you can even take a class above 200 level. Most of my econ classes had 4 semesters of prereqs to get into.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Fingolfin269

Most get out in two? You either only know geniuses or community colleges.

:thumbsup:

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: miketheidiot

how the hell do you graduate in 2 years? Some majors i doubt that its even possible, where you need to take a year full of intro classes to even start major coursework.

for engineering you need to have through calc2 to start, for accounting you need a year of intro business classes to start the intro accounting classes, so you will be 2 years in before you can even take a class above 200 level. Most of my econ classes had 4 semesters of prereqs to get into.

By taking college courses before entering college (either in your high school or at a local college) and summer school. In fact, you can take all your required courses during the summer if you have the will. Then you spend your last year in college doing research.

EDIT: I can't think of any reason why you'd want to spend more time in undergrad than you have to. Seriously, a lot of the people trying to "find themselves" end up wasting their parents' money.

n yusef

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2005

By taking college courses before entering college (either in your high school or at a local college) and summer school. In fact, you can take all your required courses during the summer if you have the will. Then you spend your last year in college doing research.

EDIT: I can't think of any reason why you'd want to spend more time in undergrad than you have to. Seriously, a lot of the people trying to "find themselves" end up wasting their parents' money.

Many people consider university more than a job training program.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: n yusef

Right, they're research universities. Get rid of the required courses and do research on what you really like, whatever that is. Most of the things you learn in class end up being forgotten if you don't put them to use anyway.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

Liquor & girls....

n yusef

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2005

Right, they're research universities. Get rid of the required courses and do research on what you really like, whatever that is. Most of the things you learn in class end up being forgotten if you don't put them to use anyway.

Besides research universities, there is the entire field of the Liberal Arts....

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

Besides research universities, there is the entire field of the Liberal Arts....

You don't do research in the liberal arts field?

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
well now we know that Dari spends most of his time dealing with community college grads, because the statement you made here

"How is that possible? I've never heard of anyone staying beyond four years (most get out of there in two) unless they take a year off." is complete and utter BS.

I attended 2 high schools, 2 colleges, graduated 8th out of nearly 500 students, played football and baseball in college - in other words I got to know a ton of people in my college and high school years - and not one single person graduated in 2 years with a degree. I graduated in 5 years, which included a transfer and a change in majors from chemical engineering to business/accounting - long story - I'm sorry Dari that I didn't meet your high standards.

Van Wilder ftw

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

When ou get out of Jr high chool and then go to high school....then possibly college...you will know the answers to these questions.....for now sit back and enjoy the ride that mommy gives you to school every morning!!

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

seriously dude iether you have shit for brains or you don`t know what you are talking about!