Men's 'Sweet 16' Graduation Rates

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006
Originally posted by: shinerburke
Originally posted by: Dari
Originally posted by: Genx87
Aren't you supposed to graduate from undergrad in four years or less? Who stays longer than that?

Most students. afaik the avg time to graduate for everbody is 5 years.

How is that possible? I've never heard of anyone staying beyond four years (most get out of there in two) unless they take a year off.

Liquor & girls....

Bingo.

Who the hell would want to graduate in two years? Shit, most people don't turn 21 until their junior year anyway.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Aren't you supposed to graduate from undergrad in four years or less? Who stays longer than that?

How is that possible? I've never heard of anyone staying beyond four years (most get out of there in two) unless they take a year off.

Ever heard of degree inflation?

The track keeps getting longer and longer as more gen ed is piled onto the students to make them "well rounded". (which translates into, "paying for extra semesters".)

Examples: some universities now require health courses, 6 foreign language courses (up from 2/3/4), multiple histories, womens studies, cross cultural perspectives courses, etc... for degrees that have nothing to do with any of that. Instead of the old 2 arts, 2 humanities, 2 foreign lang requirement.

Edit: typo

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda
Originally posted by: miketheidiot

how the hell do you graduate in 2 years? Some majors i doubt that its even possible, where you need to take a year full of intro classes to even start major coursework.

for engineering you need to have through calc2 to start, for accounting you need a year of intro business classes to start the intro accounting classes, so you will be 2 years in before you can even take a class above 200 level. Most of my econ classes had 4 semesters of prereqs to get into.

By taking college courses before entering college (either in your high school or at a local college) and summer school. In fact, you can take all your required courses during the summer if you have the will. Then you spend your last year in college doing research.

EDIT: I can't think of any reason why you'd want to spend more time in undergrad than you have to. Seriously, a lot of the people trying to "find themselves" end up wasting their parents' money.

seriously dude iether you have shit for brains or you don`t know what you are talking about!

I think the one with SFB would be you. You're a one-trick pony, BTW.

CLite

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2005
By taking college courses before entering college (either in your high school or at a local college) and summer school. In fact, you can take all your required courses during the summer if you have the will. Then you spend your last year in college doing research.

EDIT: I can't think of any reason why you'd want to spend more time in undergrad than you have to. Seriously, a lot of the people trying to "find themselves" end up wasting their parents' money.

You're talking out of your ass. Yes some people can graduate in two years, it depends on the college's willingness of accepting credits, it depends on their field, and it depends on their dedication. You are dumb as a brick though with the statement that most graduate in two years, therefore there is no way you graduated in two years unless it was with an associates from a community college.

I entered Bucknell with 5 AP credits, did the Mechanical engineering track, and no matter how dedicated I was it was going to take four years because of the way they lay out the curriculum.

trying to "find themselves" LOL it's called getting a real degree that you can't shortcut.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: CLite

You're talking out of your ass. Yes some people can graduate in two years, it depends on the college's willingness of accepting credits, it depends on their field, and it depends on their dedication. You are dumb as a brick though with the statement that most graduate in two years, therefore there is no way you graduated in two years unless it was with an associates from a community college.

I entered Bucknell with 5 AP credits, did the Mechanical engineering track, and no matter how dedicated I was it was going to take four years because of the way they lay out the curriculum.

trying to "find themselves" LOL it's called getting a real degree that you can't shortcut.

Speak for yourself, asshole. Obviously there are people out there smarter and more motivated than you. I graduated in four years but could've gotten out in three. I only stayed longer because I wanted to take graduate-level courses and do some more research, which only helped me when I applied to grad school. Furthermore, I've seen some of my entering classmates from the math department graduate within two years and go on to grad school. These things aren't hard to do. You just take the fluff during the summer. Of course, for a lot of people out there, summer = fun. They couldn't possible fathom going to summer school unless they had to.

Feb 24, 2001

Speak for yourself, asshole. Obviously there are people out there smarter and more motivated than you. I graduated in four years but could've gotten out in three. I only stayed longer because I wanted to take graduate-level courses and do some more research, which only helped me when I applied to grad school. Furthermore, I've seen some of my entering classmates from the math department graduate within two years and go on to grad school. These things aren't hard to do. You just take the fluff during the summer. Of course, for a lot of people out there, summer = fun. They couldn't possible fathom going to summer school unless they had to.

If it makes you feel any better I graduated in 2 years :p And a grad degree in another year and a half.

Didn't work and took boatloads of hours. Was ready to GTFO, the social aspect had 0 appeal.

CLite

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2005

Listen you clown, Bucknell University didn't accept summer credits for thermodynamics and fluid dynamics and other courses I had to take for my engineering degree. In addition there is a yearlong design project that you have to take senior year. So no, it was not possible for me to graduate in two years, I had to take four years.

My point stands, you bring a new meaning to clueless. Your statement "most graduate in two years" is preposterous and shows your complete lack of logic and intelligence. Your implication that not graduating in two years is a sign of one?s lack of motivation shows that you don't comprehend most college's acceptance criteria of summer credit, especially for the harder majors out there.

I got my masters in nuclear engineering at Gtech after getting my undergraduate mechanical engineering degree, I feel confident in stating I'm more intelligent and motivated than you. The intelligence part is obvious with you spitting out dumb statements.

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005

Well, you fail yourself then, since you didn't meet your own criteria. You didn't graduate in two years either. I guess you aren't smart either.

Some of us that went to real schools with real degrees had to take 17-18 credits each semester for the whole four years. That's about 136 credits. To graduate in your "approved manner", in two years means that someone would have had to cram in 68 credits per year.

So grow up and think about what you write before making such a ridiculous and insulting statement.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
No offense Dari, but most people do NOT graduate college in two years. My sister did, and I know maybe one or two other people that graduated early, but the vast majority of people do not graduate college in two years, that's a ridiculous statement to make. If MOST people graduated college in two years, then you wouldn't be getting piled on by everyone here, because we'd all know tons of people that graduated in two years. Seriously, that's ridiculous.

Apr 17, 2005
Originally posted by: BrunoPuntzJones

If it makes you feel any better I graduated in 2 years :p And a grad degree in another year and a half.

Didn't work and took boatloads of hours. Was ready to GTFO, the social aspect had 0 appeal.

:( you missed out bro.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: nkgreen
Originally posted by: shinerburke

Liquor & girls....

Bingo.

Who the hell would want to graduate in two years? Shit, most people don't turn 21 until their junior year anyway.

Hell it took me 7.

Then again I have 3 Bachelor Degrees, a Masters and I drank and fucked a lot.

So meh....

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: JD50
No offense Dari, but most people do NOT graduate college in two years. My sister did, and I know maybe one or two other people that graduated early, but the vast majority of people do not graduate college in two years, that's a ridiculous statement to make. If MOST people graduated college in two years, then you wouldn't be getting piled on by everyone here, because we'd all know tons of people that graduated in two years. Seriously, that's ridiculous.

I was talking about people I know, not everyone. Maybe that's where all the hostility is coming from, miscommunication.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

Listen you clown, Bucknell University didn't accept summer credits for thermodynamics and fluid dynamics and other courses I had to take for my engineering degree. In addition there is a yearlong design project that you have to take senior year. So no, it was not possible for me to graduate in two years, I had to take four years.

My point stands, you bring a new meaning to clueless. Your statement "most graduate in two years" is preposterous and shows your complete lack of logic and intelligence. Your implication that not graduating in two years is a sign of one?s lack of motivation shows that you don't comprehend most college's acceptance criteria of summer credit, especially for the harder majors out there.

I got my masters in nuclear engineering at Gtech after getting my undergraduate mechanical engineering degree, I feel confident in stating I'm more intelligent and motivated than you. The intelligence part is obvious with you spitting out dumb statements.

Oh Gawd, it's another one...

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
With all those stupid liberal arts requirements, how the hell is it possible to graduate in 2 years? You waste half your credits taking courses you won't need!

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005

uhh, most people graduate from 4 year programs in 4 years. If i come back to my 4 year school the next year, will i see more than half of the expected graduating class to still be there? no way!
unless if there are more 5 year school programs than 4 year ones, that's just not right.

that's not saying it's not smart to be there another year or so because it's so much fun, but most people do graduate within the schedule time. hell i wish i was in college for another year but i dont have the bankroll like alot of you kids on here.

getting back on topic of NCAA- you can really see which schools and programs emphasize on their academics more than just the sports and trying to get their athletes a degree. i know at nova each athlete gets a tutor and everything, but im sure there are lots of cases where they get alot of lenience and leeway w/ their grades

CLite

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2005

I was talking about people I know, not everyone. Maybe that's where all the hostility is coming from, miscommunication.

The hostility is based on your misplaced arrogance. Throughout this thread you have touted that only underachievers take four years to complete four year programs.

There is no way the majority of your friends graduated from 4 year colleges in two years. This is just a misrepresentation of the truth, you are lying to cover your previous statements and you are only digging the hole deeper. The number of people graduating from accredited 4 year college programs in 2 years is practically nill, with the figure signficaintly rising for 3 year graduation rates, not something entirely uncommon.

Fess up to the misplaced arrogance, and the blatant lie that the majority of your friends graduated from 4 year accredited colleges in two years and I'll apologize for overactively calling you out.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

The hostility is based on your misplaced arrogance. Throughout this thread you have touted that only underachievers take four years to complete four year programs.

There is no way the majority of your friends graduated from 4 year colleges in two years. This is just a misrepresentation of the truth, you are lying to cover your previous statements and you are only digging the hole deeper. The number of people graduating from accredited 4 year college programs in 2 years is practically nill, with the figure signficaintly rising for 3 year graduation rates, not something entirely uncommon.

Fess up to the misplaced arrogance, and the blatant lie that the majority of your friends graduated from 4 year accredited colleges in two years and I'll apologize for overactively calling you out.

:laugh: Stop being an ass when you know little about me.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

Can I still be an ass though? Cause really I wouldn't know what to do with myself otherwise.

CLite

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2005

But my fondest times on anandtech are calling out internet heroes.

Anyways if I actually wanted to stay on topic I could discuss how extremely difficult balancing sports and academia is. I actually did track freshman year in undergraduate, it was about 2-3 hour workouts 6 days a week, with captain's practice on Sunday. The season lasted from school opening to close in May. The spring track season involved road trips almost every weekend. All of this combined with an engineering curriculum and the desire to have a social life was extremely difficult. I got an injury in late spring and said fuck it no more of this.

So I truly feel bad for these guys because the majority are not going to be pro players and without a college degree they will most likely become high school coaches/burger flippers/salesmen. The schools are making bank off them and they are essentially being paid pennies on the dollar when you consider the schools' disdain for allowing the athletes to take time to study/etc.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: evident

uhh, most people graduate from 4 year programs in 4 years. If i come back to my 4 year school the next year, will i see more than half of the expected graduating class to still be there? no way!
unless if there are more 5 year school programs than 4 year ones, that's just not right.

that's not saying it's not smart to be there another year or so because it's so much fun, but most people do graduate within the schedule time. hell i wish i was in college for another year but i dont have the bankroll like alot of you kids on here.

getting back on topic of NCAA- you can really see which schools and programs emphasize on their academics more than just the sports and trying to get their athletes a degree. i know at nova each athlete gets a tutor and everything, but im sure there are lots of cases where they get alot of lenience and leeway w/ their grades

Actually, the average time to graduate is slightly over 5 years now. The majority of people do not graduate in 4 years. That is why almost every state has a graduate on time incentive.

Very few people graduate in 2 years. In some areas its impossible to graduate in less than four because you have to take classes in sequence.

Then there are people like me, whos graduating in 6 years. Some poor decisions and some poor planning on my part, but the main reason is working full time or more throughout the last 5 of those 6 years. Ill still be graduating with a fairly okay GPA though. Not as high as I'd like. Itd be higher if I did my foriegn language through study aboard and switched my minor from Econ to History or English. I suck at math so those upper level micro economics classes ate me alive.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: evident

http://www.collegeboard.com/pa...arships-aid/36990.html

While it dropped a little from the early 90's. Public insititutions took 4.8 years to graduate on avg. Private 4.3. In the early 90s it was 5 year even for both.

There are certainly private institutions that have programs that will get you out in 4 if you follow their curriculum to a T. That means no dropping of classes and you make the grades in each pre-req.

GoSharks

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 1999
3.5 or even 3 years is neither uncommon OR common at Johns Hopkins. I would say that 80-90% took exactly 4 years.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005

What??

Ever heard of Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, and Senior?

I've NEVER heard of anyone getting through college in two years. At my own undergraduate institution, the overall requirement for a BS in physics was (IIRC) 190 units. That's like 47 4-unit classes (quarter system). To graduate in two years would require taking 8 courses a quarter, which is insane. As I recall, students needed special permission to take a 6th course. I'm almost certain no one would have been allowed to take more.

Some individual with lots of AP credits from high school were able to get out in three years, but what's the rush?

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005

Why don't you stop being an ass, since you know so little yourself.

You going to apologize for insulting all those people that took 4 years to graduate?

Auryg

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2003
While I doubt it matters at this point, it's so common to need to take more than 4 years to graduate at most schools mine even has a "four year guarantee"-
"Graduate in 4 Years
Guaranteed
At many colleges it may take five or six years to graduate with a "four-year" degree. At St. Scholastica, first year undergraduates who follow a few simple guidelines will graduate in four years - guaranteed - or subsequent years are free."

They advertise this on the radio, TV, etc.

Also:
"Female/Male Ratio (percentage)
Traditional Undergraduate: 68/32
Entire Population: 71/29"

You would think this would be a good thing, but 90% of the womenz are fat or ugly :( Or both.