Megaupload shut down--Update: anonymous goes on revenge spree

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
In the modern digital world, Anon is the nearest thing we have to Super Hero vigilantes. Freedom Fighters against government oppression.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Which is why we see Anonymous taking down Syrian websites....oh wait....they are not.

They have the ability to do so much good. They could go after the actual evil governments. They could bust into Iran's networks and show if they really are trying to build a bomb or not. They could smash crime groups, etc.

Instead, they choose to take down the RIAA? Really?

Last edited:

Cheesetogo

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2005
Which is why we see Anonymous taking down Syrian websites....oh wait....they are not.

They have the ability to do so much good. They could go after the actual evil governments. They could bust into Iran's networks and show if they really are trying to build a bomb or not. They could smash crime groups, etc.

Instead, they choose to take down the RIAA? Really?

DDOS != hacking

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
what should content providers do to insure people buy their content and dont steal it?

You can say hey I am making a copy of it not stealing it but content is made to be consumed. Once you have consumed said content its value goes down significantly.

So again what do you expect entire industries to do?

The business model is piracy. Did you see that guys house? A content provider can not compete with piracy.

Ticky

Feb 7, 2008
End copyrights. Perfprmers get paid for live performance only, like they did for all the rest of history. Support TV with adds.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
what should content providers do to insure people buy their content and dont steal it?

You can say hey I am making a copy of it not stealing it but content is made to be consumed. Once you have consumed said content its value goes down significantly.

So again what do you expect entire industries to do?

The business model is piracy. Did you see that guys house? A content provider can not compete with piracy.

What should the public domain do to prevent content providers from stealing content?

How does current copyright length incentivize someone who has been dead for up to 70 years to create more content?

Why does Disney get to steal old stories and make movies about them without paying the ancestors of the people who created them, but turn around and claim that nobody gets to use their ideas?

Yeah, the poor content industry. How will their children eat!

LOL, how can content providers possibly compete?!?

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
What should the public domain do to prevent content providers from stealing content?

Show me content providers who are stealing content. Also things in the public domain cant be stolen? If I'm wrong show me id like to see.

How does current copyright length incentivize someone who has been dead for up to 70 years to create more content?

They dont but what they do is allow a certain ip to be developed without being polluted by many imitations. Sometimes a ip can keep going after the death of the creator (the muppets)

Why does Disney get to steal old stories and make movies about them without paying the ancestors of the people who created them, but turn around and claim that nobody gets to use their ideas?

They get to use those stories because they are in the public domain. I think its wrong if they try to stop others from using the same stories. Infact there is a snow white movie being made right now that ISNT disney. Live actions looks pretty good too.

Yeah, the poor content industry. How will their children eat!

LOL, how can content providers possibly compete?!?

You show a list of the highest paid actors as your proof that theft is ok? alright then.

J-Money

Feb 9, 2003
I don't know why people actually believe piracy costs jobs. It costs profits.

If a certain job requires 1 person to do, you don't hire 3 because you can afford it. You hire 1. Then keep the rest as profits.

Last edited:

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Show me content providers who are stealing content. Also things in the public domain cant be stolen? If I'm wrong show me id like to see.

http://lj.libraryjournal.com/2012/0...toring-copyright-to-some-public-domain-works/

They dont but what they do is allow a certain ip to be developed without being polluted by many imitations. Sometimes a ip can keep going after the death of the creator (the muppets)

Imitations are pollution? Hollywood keeps remaking the same movies every decade or two. They're polluting themselves.

They get to use those stories because they are in the public domain. I think its wrong if they try to stop others from using the same stories. Infact there is a snow white movie being made right now that ISNT disney. Live actions looks pretty good too.

And the public domain is quickly disappearing because copyright gets extended every time some Disney property comes close to falling into the public domain.

You show a list of the highest paid actors as your proof that theft is ok? alright then.

You pointed to one guy who made a fortune off of piracy as proof that Hollywood is going broke because of piracy.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

Like going after the Zetas?

Oh wait...

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
That sucks. I used this site a ton.

3f39.jpg

Damn sounds like you will be Jonesing for your Pr0n fix?

Last edited:

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
Im not surprised, they got to big and put a target sign on their heads for doing so. Plus they were profiting off of other people's work, im glad they are now shut down. As far as file sharing goes, Mupload is by no means the only way to do so...P2P apps have always been around and will continue to be. P2P is just not nub friendly and thats a good thing imo, it keeps most people away from easily pirating software. Its when the masses begin pirating that companies really do feel the effects from it big time, and Mupload was allowing the masses to do that easily.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000

How is that theft?

Imitations are pollution? Hollywood keeps remaking the same movies every decade or two. They're polluting themselves.

They wouldn't make remakes if it didnt make MONEY. Be mad at the general public for demanding such things if you dont like it. Why would the industry attempt to make something you like when you refuse to purchase?

And the public domain is quickly disappearing because copyright gets extended every time some Disney property comes close to falling into the public domain.

Disney isnt the end all of public domain. There is piles of work in the public domain. Enough so that you could monetize it if you knew where to look.

You pointed to one guy who made a fortune off of piracy as proof that Hollywood is going broke because of piracy.

Piracy is monetized as a business. Its impossible for content creators to compete with that business model.

Perfect example is the 2nd remake (third version) of "The Thing". Maybe in another 10 to 20 years, we will have the 3rd and 4th remake of it.

i'm actually interested to see that. Its actually not a remake its prequel.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
How is that theft?

Because things were previously public domain no longer are. Something was actually removed from society and given to an private entity.

They wouldn't make remakes if it didnt make MONEY. Be mad at the general public for demanding such things if you dont like it. Why would the industry attempt to make something you like when you refuse to purchase?

You just said that imitations were pollution, now you're claiming that they're legitimate because they make money. Make up your damn mind. Pick a position and stick with it, weasel.

Disney isnt the end all of public domain. There is piles of work in the public domain. Enough so that you could monetize it if you knew where to look.

Jesus, is all you think about money? Are you SURE you aren't a Republican?

[/QUOTE]Piracy is monetized as a business. Its impossible for content creators to compete with that business model.[/QUOTE]

No it's not, you and your industry are just too stupid to change your ways and insist on enforcing make-believe scarcity to protect an oudated business model. Pirated content is superior in every way to what you morons keep pumping out. No advertisements, portable between devices, unlimited viewing. Give people what they want and you'll make money, but you fools keep screwing up. Twenty minutes of ads at the beginning of DVDs, DRM that locks you to particular hardware or software stacks, planned obsolescense forcing people to re-buy the same thing over and over again. You're pathetic.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I cant talk to you about this. You are so steeped in piracy that you will never see things.

a imitation is not a remake. Dont try to put words in my mouth and change what im saying.

Piracy IS monetized just because you say it isnt doesnt make it so.

Give people what they want and we will make money? So free stuff with no ads? How will we make money off that?

Pathetic does come to mind when I think about your views.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You're right, you can't talk to me about this because you're a buggy whip salesman desparately trying to prevent the automobile from making you obsolete.

Steeped in piracy? Where do you come up with this stuff? Hilarious.

And nobody said anything about free. But your industry makes it intentionally difficult to use your product.

You're on the losing side of history. The cassette tape was supposed to destroy the music industry. Home video recording was supposed to destroy the movie industry. Neither happened.

In summary: Cry more.