Meg Whitman's former housekeeper hires Gloria Allred

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
I doubt that the fact she employed one of those dreaded illegal aliens for six years is going to affect her electability.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
I doubt that the fact she employed one of those dreaded illegal aliens for six years is going to affect her electability.

Yea she had a uphill battle on her own. I doubt this will add anymore weight that was not already there. :D

JeepinEd

Dec 12, 2005
I just saw the .pdf file of the documents the housekeeper filled out. Did Gloria, at any point, note that her client falsified documents and signed under the penalty of perjury that all the information was correct?

I'm no fan of Whitman, but the more I read about this, the more it stinks of yet another Allred smear stunt. Similar to the one she pulled on Arnold during the recall elections.

Another thing, if Whitman knew that her housekeeper was illegal, why would she wait until the housekeeper brought the subject to her attention before firing her? Why was she as shocked as the housekeeper described?

I have a feeling Allred told her exactly what to say and promised her a good payday for it, in the form of a high $$ settlement. It's a win win. Allred gets to smear Whitman's reputation and the housekeeper gets some money.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
If true and more of the "help" starts coming forward with the same allegations, Whitman is fucked.
Yea no shit right? That would be pretty fucking funny imo.
I just saw the .pdf file of the documents the housekeeper filled out. Did Gloria, at any point, note that her client falsified documents and signed under the penalty of perjury that all the information was correct?

I'm no fan of Whitman, but the more I read about this, the more it stinks of yet another Allred smear stunt. Similar to the one she pulled on Arnold during the recall elections.

Another thing, if Whitman knew that her housekeeper was illegal, why would she wait until the housekeeper brought the subject to her attention before firing her? Why was she as shocked as the housekeeper described?

I have a feeling Allred told her exactly what to say and promised her a good payday for it, in the form of a high $$ settlement. It's a win win. Allred gets to smear Whitman's reputation and the housekeeper gets some money.

Have a link to the pdf?

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001

this

"ooooh you treated me so bad but I worked for you for 9 years anyway"
"ooooh i'm sorry i lied on my work documents i'm illegal, I don't know what perjury means, but you still fucked me you stupid whore so pay up!"

WTF is she suing for anyway?

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
The documents only prove the maid lied when hired. As I already said, that much was obvious before we even got access to the documents, as the SS would never have sent her the "no match" letter had the maid not first submitted false ID.

Anyway, I do hope this goes away quickly. This sort of thing shouldn't be consuming all the oxygen in the campaign. Whitman and Brown just had a debate in which they argued their policy stances, and now all everyone is talking about is this.

I still don't know which of those two candidates I'm voting for, but this has no impact on it whatsoever.

- wolf

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I still don't know which of those two candidates I'm voting for, but this has no impact on it whatsoever.
- wolf

it makes me respect gloria allred less, which I previously thought was impossible.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Maybe she should have spent some of that ~$100 million from the campaign on hiring a legal housekeeper?

Kind of funny that small amount (in comparison to what she's throwing around now) could come back to bite her in the ass.

JeepinEd

Dec 12, 2005
Rather than keeping his big mouth shut, Jerry Brown (the evil I know) decided to comment on the issue, and attacked Whitman. This pretty much pushed me into the "evil I don't know" camp.

JeepinEd

Dec 12, 2005
Maybe she should have spent some of that ~$100 million from the campaign on hiring a legal housekeeper?

Kind of funny that small amount (in comparison to what she's throwing around now) could come back to bite her in the ass.

According to the documents, she thought she was hiring a legal worker from an employment agency. You don't hire an illegal to pay them $23/hour.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001

she hired someone who she thought was legal (recommended by an employment agency), who then later turned out to be illegal

it's not like she went on CL and asked around for an undocumented maid.

OBLAMA2009

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2008
she hired someone who she thought was legal (recommended by an employment agency), who then later turned out to be illegal

it's not like she went on CL and asked around for an undocumented maid.

it depends on what kind of "employment agency" she used. i dont know very many legit agencies that dont check things like that before hiring. she probably used a legal mexican who obviously hires illegals as employees. that is what most people, like me, do when they need yard work done.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
I'm still bothered by the question of how the hell can this (illegal) maid sue?

They should be deporting her @ss.

Fern

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001

Fern

this

"sorry you lied on your employment application. the penalty is deportation. have a nice day"

OBLAMA2009

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2008

Fern

why? you know they would say that you stole their land and you should be living somewhere else.

what they ought to be doing is forming a north american country and forgetting about who is legal and who is illegal

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Nice timing from Allred- she must have been studying the Swiftliars attack for a few pointers... and Rovian tactics in general...

Great fun watching repubs squeal when they get a dose of their own medicine...

You betcha!

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005

Fern

They should be deporting her ass, but after she is allowed to sue. The person who employed her was breaking the law in hiring her as much as she was. But you've got to pay someone their agreed wage if you employ them to do work. The employer who hires an illegal shouldn't get a windfall.

I don't know if in this case she was paid her wage or not, but in general I don't think the employer should be able to get away with not paying for all hours worked.

- wolf

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007

Fern

My feelings too. Where the hell was I.C.E. after the press conference?

Also, Gloria Allred does appear to truly be the spawn of satan :)