Mechwarrior Online (Previously MW5/MW3015)

Page 49 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
welp, that may be. but my ERPPC cat works a lot better now.

All the heat sinks you add beyond the 10 that come with the engine are DHS so if you had 20 SHS before and now have "20" DHS (10 in the engine are SHS, 10 additional are DHS for 30 heat dissipation total) you are sinking more heat than before. But you're sinking 10 less than what you should since the 10 in the engine only count as singles.

HydroSqueegee

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2005
welp, DHS bug confirmed by the devs. but they are going to evaluate if they want the SHS or DHS in the engine... yay.

in other news, OPEN BETA MONDAY 29 OCTOBER!

... why the rush?

Oct 16, 1999
This DHS business should be flat out embarrassing for the Devs. The fact it's there after a 2 week delay on the patch, the fact they are going OB with it still in, and the fact they are considering leaving it in altogether is killing people's confidence in this game. I want to stomp around in a huge laser-shooting mech as much as anyone but I am losing my patience with the undelivered potential we are getting so far.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
welp, DHS bug confirmed by the devs. but they are going to evaluate if they want the SHS or DHS in the engine... yay.

in other news, OPEN BETA MONDAY 29 OCTOBER!

... why the rush?

Holy shit... they're actually considering breaking with 20 years of Battletech tradition and using SHS in the engine and DHS outside of it?

Oct 16, 1999
it really all boils down to balance. you cannot translate TT rules directly to a FPS style videogame. it just doesnt work.

DHS in the engine is no more a balance issue than Endo, FF, XL engines, or mech tonnage. This was just a colossal fuck-up and the devs are compounding it with their response. This should be corrected before open beta. This and so much more.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
DHS in the engine is no more a balance issue than Endo, FF, XL engines, or mech tonnage. This was just a colossal fuck-up and the devs are compounding it with their response. This should be corrected before open beta. This and so much more.

Agreed. It's not an issue of balance, it's about what DHS are supposed to be.

Does anyone honestly want to drop 1.5M C-Bills for the mere privilege of buying more expensive heat sinks?

Why bother with the Awesome 9M? It can only dissipate 30 heat which is the same as the original with 3 PPCs.

Removing the collisions on light Mechs was also a mistake. Now light Mechs just body up larger Mechs and since the Atlas and Awesome can't aim low enough, the light Mech gets free shots all day.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Removing the collisions on light Mechs was also a mistake. Now light Mechs just body up larger Mechs and since the Atlas and Awesome can't aim low enough, the light Mech gets free shots all day.

I was alright with them taking out the collision (for now) because I just didn't think it worked very well. This is a good point I had not considered though.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
collision did need some tweaks, like maybe added a button required for physical attacks.

the DHS issue is a true fubar though. If you can design a tabletop mech that would operate heat free, it should also be so in game here.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
game is going downhill for sure.

They need to fix DHS, they cant possible be serious about leaving them as is.

If they leave SHS only in the engine thats going to break EVERY clan mech and every IS light/med that uses the new tech. They are designed around having that heat dissapation.

Lets look at the puma for example, a light clan omnimech, it has 10 engine HS and one external DHS, so with current broken system 12 SHS worth of cooling, that mech has 2 ER PPC's. Tell me with a straight face that this would not be horribly broken mech without true DHS.

Or how about the VND-3L a new tech version for the vindicator designed to combat the clan invasion mechs, its got engine HS only upgraded to double to handle the single ER PPC and single MPL. With engine heatsinks staying single this mech is broken, a ER PPC with 10 SHS would be a joke to play, might get off 6 shots a game if lucky, yay 60 damage a round.

When it gets to the point that stock canon varients are broken and unplayable because you have butchered the core system to make them unplayable, then we arnt playing mechwarrior any longer and you might as well have called it hawken.

Why use the IP if you are going to break stock designs to the point they are not playable.

Last edited:

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
It's really like they don't have a basic understanding of why TT rules are the way they are, or even more-so, that they don't actually think out the consequences of their changes. Their translation of damage done "per round" is and has been terrible since day one. They doubled armor values and only just doubled ammo capacity, what, 2 weeks ago? Now they can't see the vast negative effects of leaving DHS the way they are. Not to mention, they stupidly started balancing heat and cycle times on weapons before they were even in the game. What kind of amateur hour starts tweaking everything before all your systems are even in, especially when you have a very easy and simple rule sheet to follow in the mean time.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
Most of the trial mechs horribly over heated a month ago and still seem to. Heat management has meant ppc's are not really viable and we see that on the battlefield, everyone rips them off and replaces with something less heat generating.

They need to sort the heat problem out by returning to the battle tech rules, otherwise its not really mechwarrior.

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
Definitly need to address the issue with the engine heatsinks. Pulled a engine from a working mech, readded it, saved, and got an error of "need 2 more heat sinks". Bit of a joke as I can see the two spare slots in the CT containing heat sinks.

Though what annoyed me today was I tried to make my basic k2 dual ac/20. Had to cut extra armour off to address the "must have more heat sinks" even when I do not want them.

Hopefully it will be addressed, but guessing my perfered configs are out now.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Happy I got my refund... But I'm still as excited as all hell to play for some reason.

Despite the flaws with the game, the developers and the community which seems to be one of the worst I've encountered on a Forum, it's still Battletech, it's still fun to a degree and it could be so much better with tweaks (performance, better collision stuff, TT firing rules which sorts out the heat issues etc.)

I'm a firm believer in that if people can play Artillery and French Tanks in WoT, which is a more arcadey game than MWO, then people won't mind firing one single AC/20 round every 10 seconds (for example) or firing 2-3 shots of a Medium Laser for the same TT damage over 10 seconds (assuming all shots connect appropriately).

This pretty much throws the whole "heat imba SHS/DHS suck" thing out of the window and provides no additional benefits to Dual Gaussers. Though it could render the double Armour/double Internals a bit frustrating, especially as it inherently increases the length of a match. Also, if you reduce armour/internals, you're making it 'easier' to one-shot kill via Head removal but would that be balanced out sufficiently by the weapons you have at your disposal firing much less frequently?

I wish they'd at least tried that...

HydroSqueegee

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2005
I'm still excited to play, so they must be doing something right (or im just a MechWarrior fanboy). Some things theyve done have been questionable, but im giving it time. things seem to be working out for the best when the community bitches about stupid moves.