Mechwarrior Online (Previously MW5/MW3015)

Page 30 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Did you override the shutdown when you overheated? Was your heat levels max'd at 100% while continuing on?

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Did you override the shutdown when you overheated? Was your heat levels max'd at 100% while continuing on?

the HUD doesn't display when the screen dims like that so i could not see heat levels, and yes I did attempt to override.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
ahh, ok, sounds like a bug then if I am picturing it right.

They really need to switch back to spawns to the old ones on caustic valley, these new ones blow.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
ahh, ok, sounds like a bug then if I am picturing it right.

They really need to switch back to spawns to the old ones on caustic valley, these new ones blow.

Yeah it seemed like it, and agreed, spawns are kinda retarded sometimes.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Okay so:
AS7-DF

576 armor

2 LPL
2 MPL
1 AMS (1 ton ammo)
1 MG (1 ton ammo)

XL325

43 Heat Sinks

This build seems to get me a good amount of kills, 1-3 per match.

the pulse lasers cycle a bit faster than the heatsinks dissipate the heat. I can keep an ALMOST constant stream of laser fire and machine gun fire. 45+ seconds of continuous fire and you might need to lay off for a bit to cool down though.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
See you guys on the battlefield, leaving work now and starting in 60 min i intend to be online playing for the next 12-16 hours :)

Same screenname as here incase any of you run into me.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
So far loving the lighter faster mechs, although the awesome can take some serious abuse.

Until I blow off your head in 2 volleys with my Atlas configs.... (nothing like seeing 12-18 SRMs and 2 UAC5s hit the head area on Awesome's and Atlas's, they both go boom real fast (I have a harder time against a Cat, but they just don't have the armor to begin with and pop fast as well).

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
My XL295 Hunchback with 9 small lasers is still the best. I call it the assault shredder. I think I liked it better when I used pulse lasers, but I can't justify that weight difference for the actual pulse benefits when I'm getting extra speed, more heatsinks and/or an AMS.

I think I found you recently. I went around behind the enemy on the lake map and caught a atlas looking the other way. Had it naked in the rear before he turned to fight. As he turned, a hunchback sped over a small rise, past me into my rear and about 15 seconds later I was dead (I think it was someone with a similar config given the number and colour of the lasers). I generally have 1/3 of my armour on the back, so dropping like a fly to a newspaper was not much fun.... :p

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
Something that needs to be more well-known:
XL engines are light, and as engines give you heat sinks based on rating.
The calculation is rating/25.

Therefore a 275 engine gives 11 heat sinks, a 300 engine - 12. It rounds down, so for the love of dog don't use 280/290/295 XL's if you have heat sinks on your mech. Instead drop one heat sink, get a higher rated engine (in multiples of 25 ONLY) and earn the heat sink anyway through the engine. Now the extra ton goes into higher speed.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Something that needs to be more well-known:
XL engines are light, and as engines give you heat sinks based on rating.
The calculation is rating/25.

Therefore a 275 engine gives 11 heat sinks, a 300 engine - 12. It rounds down, so for the love of dog don't use 280/290/295 XL's if you have heat sinks on your mech. Instead drop one heat sink, get a higher rated engine (in multiples of 25 ONLY) and earn the heat sink anyway through the engine. Now the extra ton goes into higher speed.

Jumping from a 295 to a 300 adds 1.5 tons iirc, so you still pay for that heatsink.

Edit: Apparently that's the 300 to the 305. That kinda doesn't make much sense, but whatever.

Last edited:

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
if you were say, travelling around 130kph constantly... you probably wouldn't even need armor. and without more open terrain, weapons also have limited use.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
and lulz on some possibkle mech designs, like an atlas with just 2 lrm launchers or an atlas with just mpls and max engine speed etc..

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
Jumping from a 295 to a 300 adds 1.5 tons iirc, so you still pay for that heatsink.

Edit: Apparently that's the 300 to the 305. That kinda doesn't make much sense, but whatever.

The 300 XL engine is the minimum XL I would put in any mech that can equip it. If you want to run a lower spec engine go for a standard. Specifically a 280, 255, 245, 225, 210, 200, 195, 180 are good on weight:heatsinks. For the XLs 300, 325, 350, and 375 are worthwhile. At least from what I can tell.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
and lulz on some possibkle mech designs, like an atlas with just 2 lrm launchers or an atlas with just mpls and max engine speed etc..

Little bums me out more than dying and looking out the cockpit of a teammate who configured their Atlas with an UAC5 and 2 MPLs. This makes baby Jesus cry.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Im loving the game so far. My favorite mech so far to play fun wise is a dragon with a XL 400, a ER PPC, and as many heatsinks as i can fit with remaining weight. Nothing scares a jenner more than chasing him around in a heavy that can do 108kph and shoot a ER PPC at him ever 2 seconds. I generally hang with the missleboats and fend of the lights with the ER PPC, works very well as a few good shots with the PPC will down a jenner or commando in short order, and you usualyy get at least 2 or 3 good options at shots on them before they realize you can keep up with them, no one expects to see a dragon moving at 100+.

My favorite build for a assault is a atlas with a LRM 20 and 2 large lasers, and a AMS system, im actually using the varient now that allows 2 AMS systems so missles dont really effect me anymore. This allows me to hammer on them with the LRM 20 as i approch and then chop them up with the lasers, im running enough heatsinks i can fire as fast as i can cycle the lasers and not worry about heat. Also its fun to rain down LRM on their missle boats while also engaing there assault mechs close in.

Last edited:

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
Founder's Jenner, 4 medlas, 1 JJ, 300XL engine and some heat sinks - max armor. Killed 2 Atlases from the back, must be hell trying to target a silly quick light in that thing.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Drop some armor, make the mediums pulses and toss on an ams and streak launch and that's how I roll.

felang

Feb 17, 2007
You're bored with testing a game for bugs?

Yes, I test for bugs while I try to enjoy a game. It´s great that they are testing core gameplay, but then we will need to test everything else as well???

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
The best part is the one that states they have a much better optimized cryengine version compared to what we're testing now, they'll have it ready soon. If the tech director has a C2D like I do (an old E8400) it is safe to assume the game will eventually run fine on it.

(For those who think this thing is ancient history and should be thrown out the window, I should mention a C2D with a good gfx card can run nearly any game today on decent settings, the current MWO engine is simply not optimized at all)

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
The best part is the one that states they have a much better optimized cryengine version compared to what we're testing now, they'll have it ready soon. If the tech director has a C2D like I do (an old E8400) it is safe to assume the game will eventually run fine on it.

(For those who think this thing is ancient history and should be thrown out the window, I should mention a C2D with a good gfx card can run nearly any game today on decent settings, the current MWO engine is simply not optimized at all)

One of the PGI or IGP guys also stated that Russ has a C2D (and Russ is the top guy at PGI).

Not leaving out AMD customers and CrossfireX improvements (soon(TM)) leave me feeling happy.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I'm trying to figure out how to loadout my mech. What are some good combinations to use? I remember in MW3 I'm just ran around in a small mech (forgot which one) and just tossed on all small lasers to shotgun people.

Have a catapult that I'm using as a long ranged missileboat and a default loadout atlas (forgot which variant, the one with AC20, LRM, SRM, etc)