McDonalds Helps Employee's With Finance Guide: Workers Insulted /Rolleyes

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
So a company goes out and proactively does something beneficial for its employees and the freakin libs have to distort it and bitch? What's new?

The whole thing is a non story.

Fern

Thanks, McDonalds! I really enjoyed your suggestion to go work 73 hours a week; this was highly informative. I'm also appreciative of your estimated $20 expenditure on health care and $0 spent on heat. Although there are now icicles forming on my nose and this throbbing infection in my foot that I don't have any money budgeted to take care of, I really want to thank you for going out and doing something beneficial for me.

If only the liberals wouldn't distort this issue and call it out as being a really huge indication of what a shit employer you were. They really ruin everything.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Right because doing well in school means good paying jobs will magically appear. Sorry but this isn't a meritocracy. One of the smartest guys I know works at a print shop making $10/hr

What does being smart have to do with it? Heck, smart by itself is not a singular wanted quality in a worker if it doesn't come with discipline and dedicated.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Thanks, McDonalds! I really enjoyed your suggestion to go work 73 hours a week; this was highly informative. I'm also appreciative of your estimated $20 expenditure on health care and $0 spent on heat. Although there are now icicles forming on my nose and this throbbing infection in my foot that I don't have any money budgeted to take care of, I really want to thank you for going out and doing something beneficial for me.

If only the liberals wouldn't distort this issue and call it out as being a really huge indication of what a shit employer you were. They really ruin everything.

All you've done here is show that you did not read the article (or even the post).

E.g., the damn $20 on health care is crap. The wages they used already account for the employee's HI deducted from the pay check.

Fern

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
All you've done here is show that you did not read the article (or even the post).

E.g., the damn $20 on health care is crap. The wages they used already account for the employee's HI deducted from the pay check.

Fern

I've read the article and quite a lot more about this on top of it. Have you? Do you have any idea what their 'health insurance' is? $240 a year in medical expenses will get you close to nothing.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
lol wtf. $20 for health care eh? Was the guide written in France or something? A budget that doesn't include food?

Maybe the guys who wrote that thing need a lesson in finance.

Maybe you need to read the budget..........

There is roughly 800$ left over to spend on food, gas, clothes, etc.. per month.

Keep trolling though, youll get it someday.

Nov 8, 2012
I've read the article and quite a lot more about this on top of it. Have you? Do you have any idea what their 'health insurance' is? $240 a year in medical expenses will get you close to nothing.

$240 in health insurance will get you PLENTY. It won't get you emergency treatment, but that isn't what budgeting is for - now is it? That's what savings is for.

$240 accurately describes most of my family in terms of health care. Approx ~3-4 doctor visits/check-ups, maybe a few prescriptions...

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Right because doing well in school means good paying jobs will magically appear. Sorry but this isn't a meritocracy. One of the smartest guys I know works at a print shop making $10/hr

Jesus are you that much of an idiot??? There are no guarantees in life except death and taxes...

Doing well in school (as well as learning responsibility, respect, etc) will increase your chances that you are successful later in on life...

Who do you think has a higher chance of living a more comfortable life, someone who graduated high school/college and waited until they could afford children or someone who only got a GED and popped out their first kid by the time they were 20? If you were parent, which group would you want your kid to be in?

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Can't hurt most people are ignorant as hell about financial planning. Even educated people I know making over 100K are broke. They act rich but don't understand a simple frugal lifestyle is the path to security so they are in debt. Same goes for low wage people.

$600 a month rent seems way high. If you live at home like most teens it's free and if you share an apartment with 5-6 people rent is like $200 a month. Seriously I'd like to write this guide - you could bank $500 a month on minimum wage.

BTW I know a guy, immigrant ofc, Korean, came with $90 in pocket, who worked two min wage jobs and 10 years later owns like 7 liquor stores. Multimillionaire. Americans just don't understand sacrifice.

Last edited:

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003

Then why do you keep misstating it and other facts?

What's your agenda here?

If the employee doesn't like the financial info provided free of charge, then don't f'ing use it. It's that simple.

If your position is that burger flippers should make much more money and get all kinds of free benefits from their employer you can find somebody else to argue that drivel. I've worked in that job and it simply isn't worth any more than minimum wage, and no amount of wishful thinking can make it so.

Fern

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
$15,000/year should qualify you for Medicare, so $20/month may be reasonable, especially for someone under 25, which most minimum wage earners are.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003

Did you really read the article???

In one of our generic budgeting samples that was created in 2008 we used actual information that was gathered from interviews with a number of minimum wage employees. The line used for income from a second job can mean the person was working two jobs, or there may have been another person in the household bringing in a second income. The figures used were after all withholdings including taxes and health insurance premiums. I don't recall the number of hours the person worked but it was based on the actual minimum wage in 2008.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Telling their employees that they need to work 73 hours a week, 52 weeks a year just to make ends meet is something that any employee should roll their eyes at.

Proof positive people need to get skills beyond what a 12 year old could do.

Yreka

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
Also, budgeting $240 for your yearly medical expenses isn't really that obsurd... Unless you have some ridiculous required prescriptions to fill.

No kidding, in 62.5 years you may even have enough socked away for an ER visit :D

I don't really see anything wrong with what McDonald's is attempting to do.. A case could be made that "they need to pay their employees more", however there certainly isn't an abundance of financial knowledge amongst McD's workforce either. ( I can't defend the actual budget though, yikes.. Might need another pass through the editor)

Last edited:

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
$240 in health insurance will get you PLENTY. It won't get you emergency treatment, but that isn't what budgeting is for - now is it? That's what savings is for.

$240 accurately describes most of my family in terms of health care. Approx ~3-4 doctor visits/check-ups, maybe a few prescriptions...

So your yearly insurance only cost $240 for premiums and co-pays? What policy is that?

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
I find it absurd that they have a $100 cable budget. On minimum wage you really shouldn't be spending a ton of money on TV. Almost nothing worth watching on there anyway IMO so I don't even bother with it.

I pay $0 extra for heat as gas is included in my rent and I know a lot of places do this (water is also included, electric is not).

Nov 8, 2012
So your yearly insurance only cost $240 for premiums and co-pays? What policy is that?

Are you high? Just about any.

Most co-pays range $20 - $45 for a doc visit.
Most prescription co-pays are $5 - $20 unless some ridiculous non-generic form.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/mcdonalds-finance-guide-insulting-workers-140620836.html

I do not give a flying shit if some people don't agree with the finance advice. There isn't a magical guide to getting rich financially, just as much as there isn't a guide to winning the lottery. All there is when it comes to finance are BASIC TIPS such as budgeting, spending habits, ways to save, preparing for the future, and the best way to get out of debt. THATS IT. The concept of a monthly budget is a damn mystery to 95% of the american public.

There isn't a magical formula. So I don't give a crap if you don't like the style of it. Nevertheless, I find that financial advice is INCREDIBLY important for people to learn. Finance 101 should be a required class. Bashing a place that tries to get their employee's on the right track financially in anyway is just stupid. It really shows why this generation is where it is and how they are doomed - why the average 401k is < $25k, etc..
Agreed, but it does seem the examples were poorly considered.

I liked that the McDonalds budget involved their minimum wage employees working 73 hours a week, 52 weeks a year.

That seems sustainable.
If one is eating most of one's meals at McDonald's, one needs to work a lot of hours, else the fat intake will kill.

And if one is supporting oneself with a minimum wage job, working a lot of hours and not taking any vacations is smart.

Nov 8, 2012
Agreed, but it does seem the examples were poorly considered.

Like I said, it's the CONCEPT of what they are doing. And this is the fucking liberal media you dolt. Of course they are going to only report on the worst shit. As someone else mentioned there are many other variants of how that benefit helped.

Not to mention, no 2 employee's have the same situation.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
People who have jobs as cashiers at McDonald's should be thanking their lucky stars they don't have a job manufacturing their iPhone.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
No matter how much you wish and hope, the vast majority of jobs pay out based on how willing a capable person is to accept the job at the pay level.

If you want more money, you have to focus on a skill the rest of the workers are not and obtain a matching job that pays higher. You have to make yourself more valuable. If all you do is seek out jobs that 99.999% of the population can also fit into with minimal training, the pay will be low, the pay will always be low. You have two options, you can either (1) fight it, or (2) accept it. The people who accept reality are those who improve themselves and obtain the better jobs.

How about a third option, get together and alter that reality, which many Americans did during the beginning of the 1900's allowing a higher standard of living for future employees.

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
Are you high? Just about any.

Most co-pays range $20 - $45 for a doc visit.
Most prescription co-pays are $5 - $20 unless some ridiculous non-generic form.

Do you know how to read? The $240 is for the insurance premium's AND any copays/drugs/etc...

"$20 month for Health Insurance"