McDonalds Helps Employee's With Finance Guide: Workers Insulted /Rolleyes

Nov 8, 2012
Amid a movement of fast-food workers pressing for a higher minimum wage, a financial planning guide for McDonald (MCD)'s workers has landed with a thud.

Suggested monthly expenses include $20 for health care; $600 for rent; and $150 payment for a car (that apparently needs no gas.) Unfortunately the budget doesn't have an allowance for food.

"It doesn't speak to the realities of low-wage workers in the food industry," said Teo Reyes, the program director for Restaurant Opportunities Centers United, a nonprofit that seeks to improving working conditions for restaurant workers.

"I think it would be commendable if it was also part of a movement to increase wages," Reyes said. "At this point is seems to be disingenuous and insulting."

The Practical Money Skills Budget Journal was created for McDonald's by Wealth Watchers International five years ago in coordination with Visa (NYSE:V). Print copies were given to employees and the online version of the guide remains available at Visa's McDonald's site. A spokesman for Visa declined to comment on the record for this story.

"In an effort to provide free, comprehensive money management tools, McDonald's first used the Wealth Watchers International budgeting journal when this financial literacy program launched in 2008," McDonald's USA said in a statement to CNBC. "As part of this program, several resources were developed including a sample budgeting guide, an instructional video and a web resource center that had additional tools and information. The samples that are on this site are generic examples and are intended to help provide a general outline of what an individual budget may look like."
The sample budget includes lines for monthly income from a first job ($1,105) and a second job ($955.) If that was one person with two jobs, he would either be working more than 60 hours a week at minimum wage or making more than $12 an hour on a 40-hour work week.

The federal minimum wage has been $7.25 an hour since 2009.

In a telephone call and series of emails with CNBC, Alice Wood, founder of Wealth Watchers, explained how the numbers for the guide were developed.

"In one of our generic budgeting samples that was created in 2008 we used actual information that was gathered from interviews with a number of minimum wage employees. The line used for income from a second job can mean the person was working two jobs, or there may have been another person in the household bringing in a second income. The figures used were after all withholdings including taxes and health insurance premiums. I don't recall the number of hours the person worked but it was based on the actual minimum wage in 2008. Heat was included in the rent for more than one of the people interviewed so it wasn't included as a line item in the budget. The health insurance expense should have actually said 'health care expenses' and that figure was based on a co-payment for a doctor's visit," she wrote in an email to CNBC.

"The budgeting sample shows two incomes but it doesn't necessarily mean that someone is working two jobs. It could also mean that another person is contributing to the family income," Wood elaborated in another email. "The income is after all withholding including health insurance premiums. Some companies cover more than others so it's a little hard to be completely accurate in this regard as far as what part of the premium is covered by the employer and what part of the premium is covered by the employee. It could be that some employees actually have no health insurance coverage so they don't have any expense for health insurance ... but they could definitely have health care expenses. There just isn't a one-size fits all budget for minimum wage employees ... or any employee for that matter. That's why we leave a blank page for people to use that will fit their individual circumstances. Everyone can benefit from having a handle on their finances and that includes knowing what's coming in and what's going out."

Wood said that even doctors and lawyers spend more money than they make and that all types of people can use financial help.

"When it comes to minimum wage workers, no two people are likely to be the same. Some live at home and have no expenses. They are simply working for spending money. Others work a minimum wage job to supplement their family's income. And some employees actually do work two minimum wage jobs to support themselves. We also found that many young people do have roommates and have shared living expenses," she said.

It's true that minimum-wage earners don't all come in one size, said Harry Holzer, a professor of public policy at Georgetown University whose research has focused on the low-wage labor market.

"And we know in fact that only about 20 percent of the people who earn the minimum wage live in poor households," he said. Some are younger workers or people bringing in a second-income to a household. A third category are poor single-earners, he added.

"Maybe the people who wrote this were looking at the average," Holzer said. "They maybe were not seeking the bottom third."
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/mcdonalds-finance-guide-insulting-workers-140620836.html

I do not give a flying shit if some people don't agree with the finance advice. There isn't a magical guide to getting rich financially, just as much as there isn't a guide to winning the lottery. All there is when it comes to finance are BASIC TIPS such as budgeting, spending habits, ways to save, preparing for the future, and the best way to get out of debt. THATS IT. The concept of a monthly budget is a damn mystery to 95% of the american public.

There isn't a magical formula. So I don't give a crap if you don't like the style of it. Nevertheless, I find that financial advice is INCREDIBLY important for people to learn. Finance 101 should be a required class. Bashing a place that tries to get their employee's on the right track financially in anyway is just stupid. It really shows why this generation is where it is and how they are doomed - why the average 401k is < $25k, etc..

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
Suggested monthly expenses include $20 for health care; $600 for rent; and $150 payment for a car (that apparently needs no gas.) Unfortunately the budget doesn't have an allowance for food.
lol wtf. $20 for health care eh? Was the guide written in France or something? A budget that doesn't include food?

Maybe the guys who wrote that thing need a lesson in finance.

sunzt

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2003
lol wtf. $20 for health care eh? Was the guide written in France or something? A budget that doesn't include food?

Well there is the "Other" category budgeted at $100. Of course you'll be only eating rice, ramen, spaghetti, and grow your own veggies. But hey you can always buy food at McD!:awe:

Of course you'll have much less to use on "other" things like gas, clothes, water bills, or other necessities (toilet paper).

Also, where can i get $20/month health care?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/mcdonalds-finance-guide-insulting-workers-140620836.html

I do not give a flying shit if some people don't agree with the finance advice. There isn't a magical guide to getting rich financially, just as much as there isn't a guide to winning the lottery. All there is when it comes to finance are BASIC TIPS such as budgeting, spending habits, ways to save, preparing for the future, and the best way to get out of debt. THATS IT. The concept of a monthly budget is a damn mystery to 95% of the american public.

There isn't a magical formula. So I don't give a crap if you don't like the style of it. Nevertheless, I find that financial advice is INCREDIBLY important for people to learn. Finance 101 should be a required class. Bashing a place that tries to get their employee's on the right track financially in anyway is just stupid. It really shows why this generation is where it is and how they are doomed - why the average 401k is < $25k, etc..

I liked that the McDonalds budget involved their minimum wage employees working 73 hours a week, 52 weeks a year.

That seems sustainable.

Nov 8, 2012

The point is: Everyone's budget is different. Some live at home with their mom and have no rent. Some rent with 3 others and have a $400 rent.

Also, budgeting $240 for your yearly medical expenses isn't really that obsurd... Unless you have some ridiculous required prescriptions to fill.

As I said, McDonalds isn't trying to tell people that there is some magical formula. They are trying to teach people how to do something with their money instead of spending it on fast food and starbucks.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
i spend $50 a week easily on food for me alone, not sure how food isn't included in a budget. :p

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The point is: Everyone's budget is different. Some live at home with their mom and have no rent. Some rent with 3 others and have a $400 rent.

Also, budgeting $240 for your yearly medical expenses isn't really that obsurd... Unless you have some ridiculous required prescriptions to fill.

As I said, McDonalds isn't trying to tell people that there is some magical formula. They are trying to teach people how to do something with their money instead of spending it on fast food and starbucks.

I also liked how their average person spent $0 a month on heat.

Budgeting is incredibly valuable, I agree. McDonalds just screwed up by inadvertently admitting just how fucked the average person who works there is.

Nov 8, 2012

Budgeting is incredibly valuable, I agree. McDonalds just screwed up by inadvertently admitting just how fucked the average person who works there is.

So instead of handing out some financial advice, let's just go back to handing them their cash so they can quickly spend it on a new iphone, clothes, videogame, starbucks, fast food, or other wasteful spending? That's all that will occur from this.

As dumb as that budget might be, the concept... the overall teachings of finance is what is vital to many of their employee's. So instead of using it, they get butt-hurt and don't want to see it. So McDonalds will roll their eyes at their stupidity and go back to what it was.

sunzt

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2003

They have 50/month on heat.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
how about adjusting their wages so it's an actual livable wage in combination with financial advice? :p

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010

Yep. Walmart can fall in line as well.

But what are a few corporations screwing their employees when the federal government makes the thing sustainable by apologizing for the corporate greed sickness through subsidies to the poor that allow the effects of corporate greed not to kill the host.

Nov 8, 2012
That was changed after the fact. Their original budget had $0.

Heat? Hell it gets pretty cold in Texas to the point of hitting freezing 1-2 times a year in the winter. We never turn on the heater. Something tells me buying a couple of cheap $5-10 blankets sure beats $50/month.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
So instead of handing out some financial advice, let's just go back to handing them their cash so they can quickly spend it on a new iphone, clothes, videogame, starbucks, fast food, or other wasteful spending? That's all that will occur from this.

As dumb as that budget might be, the concept... the overall teachings of finance is what is vital to many of their employee's. So instead of using it, they get butt-hurt and don't want to see it. So McDonalds will roll their eyes at their stupidity and go back to what it was.

Telling their employees that they need to work 73 hours a week, 52 weeks a year just to make ends meet is something that any employee should roll their eyes at.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Heat? Hell it gets pretty cold in Texas to the point of hitting freezing 1-2 times a year in the summer. We never turn on the heater. Something tells me buying a couple of cheap $5-10 blankets sure beats $50/month.

Guess what? In quite a lot of America it gets much, much colder than that for much, much longer.

You simply cannot be serious.

etrigan420

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2007
Guess what? In quite a lot of America it gets much, much colder than that for much, much longer.

You simply cannot be serious.

Naw man.

It's simple really, all the poor just need to move to Texas and work 73 hours a week.

Because blankets.

That..."proposal" is about the furthest thing from a workable budget as I've ever seen. It does more of a disservice to McDonalds employees than having *not* done it would have.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
the average McDonald's worker is probably a young adult going to school and still living off their parents.

if you're working full-time, 40 hours/week at McD's for minimum wage, you'd be earning $15,000/year and would presumably qualify for food stamps and government assistance if you're a head-of-household.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
I don't understand what's wrong.

The underlying theme here is: A McDonald's cashier job is not a career, stop pretending it should be.

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
Heat? Hell it gets pretty cold in Texas to the point of hitting freezing 1-2 times a year in the winter. We never turn on the heater. Something tells me buying a couple of cheap $5-10 blankets sure beats $50/month.

Oh, you are in Texas, that explains why you have trouble understanding simple concepts.

See, in other parts of the country there is this thing called "winter". During winter, temperatures can drop to well below freezing and stay there for days at a time.

Now, I realize that education standards aren't great in Texas, but I'd think something like would be covered.

I don't understand what's wrong.

The underlying theme here is: A McDonald's cashier job is not a career, stop pretending it should be.

Your point? People aren't working those jobs because they enjoy the field of food service, they are there because they need money.

Last edited:

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
lol wtf. $20 for health care eh? Was the guide written in France or something?

A mistake clarified by the article:

Article said:
The health insurance expense should have actually said 'health care expenses' and that figure was based on a co-payment for a doctor's visit
(snip)
The figures used were after all withholdings including taxes and health insurance premiums.

I liked that the McDonalds budget involved their minimum wage employees working 73 hours a week, 52 weeks a year.

That seems sustainable.

They state that their budget was not meant to only apply to the small percentage of their workers that depend on minimum wage jobs as single household earners

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Well I guess we can confirm again that aspiring to working as cashier at McDonalds wont get one very far in this country. Now that we have reaffirmed that lets get onto mocking McDonalds for having the audacity to help these low skill workers understand the basics of budgeting regardless if some of their estimates are off or silly.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
People think that Mcdonald's was supposed to provide an actual budget for all of their employees?

"In an effort to provide free, comprehensive money management tools, McDonald's first used the Wealth Watchers International budgeting journal when this financial literacy program launched in 2008," McDonald's USA said in a statement to CNBC. "As part of this program, several resources were developed including a sample budgeting guide, an instructional video and a web resource center that had additional tools and information. The samples that are on this site are generic examples and are intended to help provide a general outline of what an individual budget may look like."

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
People think that Mcdonald's was supposed to provide an actual budget for all of their employees?

That's because they wouldn't dare post a budget that they had to stand behind as being representative.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Your point? People aren't working those jobs because they enjoy the field of food service, they are there because they need money.

No matter how much you wish and hope, the vast majority of jobs pay out based on how willing a capable person is to accept the job at the pay level.

If you want more money, you have to focus on a skill the rest of the workers are not and obtain a matching job that pays higher. You have to make yourself more valuable. If all you do is seek out jobs that 99.999% of the population can also fit into with minimal training, the pay will be low, the pay will always be low. You have two options, you can either (1) fight it, or (2) accept it. The people who accept reality are those who improve themselves and obtain the better jobs.

Last edited: