McConnel onboard with impeachment?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
He's onboard, but not to help the country. If he wasn't a traitor himself the impeachment would be handled with the velocity and drive of a holy roller shithead being foisted on the Supreme Court. The only thing Mitch cares about is taking care of rich people and sandbagging minority republican power to resist democratic representation.

Notice Moscow Mitch has done everything he can to slow down and obstruct the Biden admin. Made me so mad to hear Biden proclaim how proud he was of Mitch. Really Joe? This reptile is still fucking you and American both, maybe skip the compliments.

I can't help but wonder if this will backfire. There are a lot of Trump loyalists who already see McConnell as a betrayer (because he didn't enable their fantasies of a Trump dictatorship, of course) and are vowing to only back Trumpists in 2022 and beyond.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of them mollify their views in time, but it would be amusing if McConnell inadvertently guarantees Democratic wins in Congress and the presidency in his bid to regain power.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I can't help but wonder if this will backfire. There are a lot of Trump loyalists who already see McConnell as a betrayer (because he didn't enable their fantasies of a Trump dictatorship, of course) and are vowing to only back Trumpists in 2022 and beyond.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of them mollify their views in time, but it would be amusing if McConnell inadvertently guarantees Democratic wins in Congress and the presidency in his bid to regain power.
From what I’ve read, it’s that McConnell thinks it’s best to decapitate Trumpism now and give the Trumpkins 18 months of unified democratic rule to remember they hate Democrats.

Who knows if that’s how it turns out but as far as plans to take back the party from Trump go it seems like a decent one.

Reactions: hal2kilo and Muse

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
From what I’ve read, it’s that McConnell thinks it’s best to decapitate Trumpism now and give the Trumpkins 18 months of unified democratic rule to remember they hate Democrats.

Who knows if that’s how it turns out but as far as plans to take back the party from Trump go it seems like a decent one.
It'll probably work so long as they can keep Trump out of Fox/OANN/NewsMax.

Reactions: Muse

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
Yesterday Trump called for more violence. There is a post 9/11 rule in the Senate that allows the Majority & Minority Leaders to call an emergency session. When Trump is impeached a trial could be held ASAP. My guess is it won't take long... a day or two at most. If for some reason Trump is not convicted the House will use the 14th Amendment to ban Trump and others from every holding Federal office again or at all.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Yesterday Trump called for more violence. There is a post 9/11 rule in the Senate that allows the Majority & Minority Leaders to call an emergency session. When Trump is impeached a trial could be held ASAP. My guess is it won't take long... a day or two at most. If for some reason Trump is not convicted the House will use the 14th Amendment to ban Trump and others from every holding Federal office again or at all.
Yes, impeachment does not necessarily bar you from holding federal office again, that's a separate thing. Congress can pass a resolution using section 3 of the 14th amendment on a simple majority vote though, which would take Trump out forever. If impeachment fails they should absolutely, 100% do this.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Notice Moscow Mitch has done everything he can to slow down and obstruct the Biden admin.

I think you need to support that with specifics. I don't understand how McConnell has power over the transition process.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I think you need to support that with specifics. I don't understand how McConnell has power over the transition process.
If he hadn't lost those GA seats he would have had ample ammunition (assuming his caucus stayed unanimously behind him) to block cabinet confirmations.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

Just remind yourself who is head of the Senate until the 20th, compare the rate of 'next admin prep' to all the previous transfers of power dating back to the 50s. You should be able to detect that this isn't normal.

There has been one confirmation hearing so far. One. Now Mitch and his underlings are more concerned about using the impeachment as a scapegoat, rather than help prep a new president. This isn't the kind of process you'd expect from the crowd that was furious about the time it took to confirm Mattis, or Pompeo. But then, this is a vindictive game to people like Mitch, it's all about payback. Remind you of anything else?

Last edited:
Reactions: ivwshane

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Yes, impeachment does not necessarily bar you from holding federal office again, that's a separate thing. Congress can pass a resolution using section 3 of the 14th amendment on a simple majority vote though, which would take Trump out forever. If impeachment fails they should absolutely, 100% do this.
The American in me who wants to see america live by its guiding principles agrees with this approach. Trump is a criminal and we should move towards barring him from office using the appropriate mechanisms defined by the constitution.

The McConnell/ machiavellian part of me says impeach, convict, but DON'T bar him from office. He'll, even say he's paid his debt from the standpoint of the constitution. Let.him split the party forevermore, it will only hasten the demise of the GOP, which will make America stronger.

If your enemy is destroying himself, dont get in the way.

Reactions: thilanliyan

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Just remind yourself who is head of the Senate until the 20th, compare the rate of 'next admin prep' to all the previous transfers of power dating back to the 50s. You should be able to detect that this isn't normal.

There has been one confirmation hearing so far. One. Now Mitch and his underlings are more concerned about using the impeachment as a scapegoat, rather than help prep a new president.

I recognize that it isn't normal. OTOH, the Senate has no power over how the executive branch conducts their affairs. It's only been a week since Congress accepted the EC vote. You offer no historical context as to confirmation hearings, either. You need to prove it's abby-normal rather than just claim it is.

Accuracy matters. Lack of it just gives ammunition to the opposition. I'm no fan of McConnell. OTOH, he never supported the stolen election bullshit, either. He said Trump had the right to pursue legal options, which was true. When the EC voted, he broke with Trump & acknowledged Biden as President Elect. He urged his caucus to follow his lead Jan 6, calling it the most consequential vote of his career. He's not the villain here.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The American in me who wants to see america live by its guiding principles agrees with this approach. Trump is a criminal and we should move towards barring him from office using the appropriate mechanisms defined by the constitution.

The McConnell/ machiavellian part of me says impeach, convict, but DON'T bar him from office. He'll, even say he's paid his debt from the standpoint of the constitution. Let.him split the party forevermore, it will only hasten the demise of the GOP, which will make America stronger.

On some level I agree with you but on another level I remember thinking in 2016 that it was better for the GOP to nominate Trump because he would be easy to beat and look where that got us.

I think Trump has proven too dangerous to allow even the possibility of a return to power, no matter how remote.

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
On some level I agree with you but on another level I remember thinking in 2016 that it was better for the GOP to nominate Trump because he would be easy to beat and look where that got us.

I think Trump has proven too dangerous to allow even the possibility of a return to power, no matter how remote.
If Trump were somehow reelected in 2024 he would pick right up maniacally where he left off. Perhaps worse.

Nov 17, 2019
I'm no fan of McConnell. OTOH, he never supported the stolen election bullshit, either.

He's not the villain here.
He is every bit the villain, as much or more so than the Imbecile. We could have been rid of the Imbecile a year ago if Mitch hadn't stacked the Senate deck and aborted the first trial.

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
What if Mitch doesn't have confidence the senate GOP will convict now, so he wants to delay until more incriminating details of Trump's involvement in the insurrection come to light?

The turtle hates Trump, and would love to be rid of him, especially now that the GOP is hemorrhaging donors.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

I too want more than anything in all this (the last 5 years) to see the demise of the Republican Party. And you're right, maybe the best way of doing that is to let Trump's base be a wedge through their heart. But I'm not at all sure. They may coalesce around a Hawley or Cruz or some other destructive person, any of which might better accomplish this.

But I agree, Trump's just too dangerous and it's best to insure he will never get the reigns of power again.

Last edited:

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I recognize that it isn't normal. OTOH, the Senate has no power over how the executive branch conducts their affairs. It's only been a week since Congress accepted the EC vote. You offer no historical context as to confirmation hearings, either. You need to prove it's abby-normal rather than just claim it is.

Accuracy matters. Lack of it just gives ammunition to the opposition. I'm no fan of McConnell. OTOH, he never supported the stolen election bullshit, either. He said Trump had the right to pursue legal options, which was true. When the EC voted, he broke with Trump & acknowledged Biden as President Elect. He urged his caucus to follow his lead Jan 6, calling it the most consequential vote of his career. He's not the villain here.

Tony Blinken, Biden's pick for Secretary of State, is beyond unlikely to get a confirmation hearing before the 20th. According to CNN that's the first time in at least 10 election cycles that a Secretary of State hasn't been confirmed, or at least been given a damn hearing.

It is true that most of the resistance is from Trump faithful, but I'm sure Mr Poison Pill appreciates your regard. He acknowledged Biden as the winner after Vladimir Putin did, enough with trying to make him seem respectful of the process and it's clear results.

He's a villain, just not the one leading the charge.

• Love

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Tony Blinken, Biden's pick for Secretary of State, is beyond unlikely to get a confirmation hearing before the 20th. According to CNN that's the first time in at least 10 election cycles that a Secretary of State hasn't been confirmed, or at least been given a damn hearing.

It is true that most of the resistance is from Trump faithful, but I'm sure Mr Poison Pill appreciates your regard. He acknowledged Biden as the winner after Vladimir Putin did, enough with trying to make him seem respectful of the process and it's clear results.

If I'm not mistaken, Mr. McConnell will be MINORITY leader in one week and will no longer be in a position to block Blinken's (or anyone else's) confirmation hearing. Thank you, Stacey Abrams.

Reactions: Fenixgoon
Feb 4, 2009

Meh, fuck it he will be “Acting Secretary of State”

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
He is every bit the villain, as much or more so than the Imbecile. We could have been rid of the Imbecile a year ago if Mitch hadn't stacked the Senate deck and aborted the first trial.

So what? McConnell has not been complicit in Trump's attempt to overthrow Democracy with lies. That was my frame of reference. Put that where it belongs, on the Repubs who raised the bogus objections & voted to sustain them.

I think it's important to understand that impeachment on the 19th Is a highly symbolic rather than functional act. It's the right thing to do, a historical imperative. How it proceeds from there will be however the new Majority Leader decrees.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
If I'm not mistaken, Mr. McConnell will be MINORITY leader in one week and will no longer be in a position to block Blinken's (or anyone else's) confirmation hearing. Thank you, Stacey Abrams.

You are not mistaken. Some positions can wait, others can't. Wouldn't much care if we're talking the ambassadorship to Tonga, but the person who leads the entire US Department of State is kind of a big deal. Not being done before the 20th opens the door for all kinds of problems and delays. But then that's the goal here. The effort to smear and hamper the Biden admin started before the Biden admin has. In addition to their standard obstruction, they want to be able to say, "Sure Trump screwed around and flipped the bird at Congressional oversight whenever he could, but look at all of Biden's Acting Secretaries. Look at all the EOs he's issued. BothSides."