McConnel onboard with impeachment?

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Is this for real or some actual 5 dimensional chess

"Senator Mitch McConnell, the Republican leader, has told associates that he believes President Trump committed impeachable offenses and that he is pleased that Democrats are moving to impeach him, believing that it will make it easier to purge him from the party, according to people familiar with his thinking. The House is voting on Wednesday to formally charge Mr. Trump with inciting violence against the country. "

Reactions: Motostu

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
My 4D chess meter 8-ball says : Might be true.

Trump and Mitch is currently engaged in a power battle, power over the party... I'd say yea, Mitch will take that bet.

Reactions: Leeea

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Better late than never for Moscow Mitch to finally admit that Trump is a fucking menace. Of course he only sees him as a menace to the republican party, as he and Trump were allies in regards to contempt toward the Constitution, and in a battle as to who is the most corrupt.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Better late than never for Moscow Mitch to finally admit that Trump is a fucking menace. Of course he only sees him as a menace to the republican party, as he and Trump were allies in regards to contempt toward the Constitution, and in a battle as to who is the most corrupt.

If he was doing it for the country I would agree with you. McConnell is concerned how Trump affects the GOP. That should be the motto of the modern GOP-Party over Country.

Remember too that McConnell has already announced that the EARLIEST he could convene an impeachment trial is 25 hours before the Inauguration. Again, protecting the party is the basic motivation.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
If he was doing it for the country I would agree with you. McConnell is concerned how Trump affects the GOP. That should be the motto of the modern GOP-Party over Country.

Remember too that McConnell has already announced that the EARLIEST he could convene an impeachment trial is 25 hours before the Inauguration. Again, protecting the party is the basic motivation.
One final nod to the man whose ass he has a lip lock on for 4 years? He is after all Trumps muscle, totally controling everything at the whim of Trump and crap like bulldozing through replacing RBG on SCOTUS.

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
Trump has outlived his usefulness to McConnell and if there is going to be some kind of party schism best get it going now than at the midterms or in the next presidential cycle.
This. Trump's usefulness has come to an end for the most part. Mitch got a bunch of stuff he wanted and now needs to be able to keep the moderate Republicans in check and has to always be mindful of his corporate overlords.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
the 538 podcast covered some of this. since there isnt likely to be a completed impeachment trial before Biden takes office, both sides are maneuvering to time the impeachment for best effect. dems are trying to get the articles thru now and trial some time in march so Biden doesnt have to deal with it at the start of his presidency. mcconnel just wants it not on his time as majority leader and to expend Biden's political capital/momentum as he moves back into the minority obstructionist mode.

i feel that (turd)cruz, hawley, and maybe mccarthy have made the calculation that they can inherit the trump coalition in 2024 so they will stay in the silent appeasement role. if they can stay silent and get the other repub senators to impeach then drumpf is out of the way as a rival in 2024.
if mcconnel hopes to restore the traditional conservative wing of the R party, putting a definitive end to drumpf helps get the rabid wing out of the conversation. marco rubio or nikky haley dont have much chance of getting the undying loyalty of the white supremacist/nazi tranch of the trumpists so they dont need to court the trumpists that hard.
whether the trump children make a run in '24 or drumpf somehow manages to get his followers to primary out any of the disloyal R incumbents is the story to play out.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I'd say it was more the other way around, Trump rubber stamped everything Mitch wanted done to the courts.
Mitch is Trump's lacky. Trump didn't want a single democratic bill out of the house to land on his desk, Mitch made it so by simply not even bothering to give them a hearing in the Senate. Trump wanted to appoint a joke that he thought would rule he won the election, to the supreme court, Mitch delivered, and very quickly.

Last edited:

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I wouldn't be surprised. McConnell was subservient to Trump as long as it was helpful to his goals, but it's pretty clear Trump has become poison between the Capitol riot and costing Republicans the Senate. The last thing he wants is Trump derailing further campaigns and keeping the Democrats in control.

This does prove the golden rule, though: Trump will always throw people under the bus, it's just a question of when. McConnell was useful until he suddenly wasn't. And Trump would snub his own kids if he thought it'd further his goals.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

Yep, just like he did when the senate certified the election, he uses weasel words.

He sees trump as a liability, not for the country but rather for republicans. Mitch is a party before country guy through and through. He’s the worst kind of politician.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I wouldn't be surprised. McConnell was subservient to Trump as long as it was helpful to his goals, but it's pretty clear Trump has become poison between the Capitol riot and costing Republicans the Senate. The last thing he wants is Trump derailing further campaigns and keeping the Democrats in control.

This does prove the golden rule, though: Trump will always throw people under the bus, it's just a question of when. McConnell was useful until he suddenly wasn't. And Trump would snub his own kids if he thought it'd further his goals.

McConnell played trump for all he could and now he’s playing trumps own game of dumping you when it’s convenient.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
As much as I can’t stand her father, I at least know her calls are coming from a moral place. She was one of the people who called this for what it was.
Cheney was only one of the key architechs in starting wars in other countries. Trump wanted the war here, and except for the fact his managerial skills couldn't organize a boy scout car wash fund raiser successfully he might have succeeded.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
If people think Trump wore the pants in the McConnell Trump relationship I got a bridge to sell them. Ones is the greatest political tactician of the last 100 years and the other is an orange stooge.
Orange useful super moron

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Yup, Moscow Mitch wants the big baby gone forever. He is pissed he lost the Senate.
I wonder why more don't jump on board, I'd imagine having to stop session and hide from trump thugs as they rampaged the hallowed grounds might have a lot of them seething.