News Mayor Lori Lightfoot Moves Asylum Seekers Sent to Chicago ByTexas

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005

Seriously can't believe anything politicians say these days...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: pcgeek11

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
These cities should just load them back into buses and ship them back to Dallas or Austin.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
How 'bout California and other Democrat states pay relocation expenses for two (or more?) registered resident Democrats who want to move to Dallas or Austin for every undoc'd immigrant that Abbott sends to Democrat enclaves?

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
These peeps should be bussed right back across the southern border and no city should be applauded for housing illegals in violation of our immigration laws. If they want to be a "sanctuary" then let them shoulder all of the costs associated with it.

Last edited:

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010

Seriously can't believe anything politicians say these days...
The answer to why they were sent to Burr Ridge is in the WGN article you posted. The asylum seekers needed housing and the Governor knew of a hotel in Burr Ridge that has a good track record of working with asylum seekers and had the space to accommodate them.

Last edited:

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Reactions: soulcougher73

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
These folks are legal asylum seekers, not illegal immigrants, so the OP should change his dishonest thread title.

The Asylum system is a joke. The immigrants are schooled on how to abuse the system before they get here. It was none other then President Obama who rejected asylum seekers during his 8 years as President and before that President Clinton was really robust about deporting people.

Last edited:

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
The answer to why they were sent to Burr Ridge is in the WGN article you posted. The migrants needed housing and the Governor knew of a hotel in Burr Ridge that has a good track record of working with migrants and had the space to accommodate them.

Chicago is a sanctuary city, they welcome immigrants, they have a lot of empty hotels and places to put 75 people. Chicago is also HUGE compared to Burr Ridge.

Chicago is a so-called sanctuary city and so is Cook County. Local officials have passed laws meant to protect immigrants from deportation. However, the portion of Burr Ridge where many of the migrants are staying is actually in DuPage County.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
The Asylum system is a joke. The immigrants are schooled on how to abuse the system before they get here. It was none other then President Obama who rejected asylum seekers during his 8 years as President and before that President Clinton was really robust about deporting people.
Under current law, these folks have done nothing illegal. Your thread title is dishonest and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
Texas Governor Gregg Abbott has single-handedly handed the election momentum back to Republicans.

People are raging all over the country about the busing of these migrants. Know who's missing in this debate? Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, who was nowhere near the Port Authority Bus Terminal in NYC on news footage I've seen and seems more upset that her ego-driven rear end may not be President one day.

AOC became prominent in this debate when she visited the detention centers and railed against Trump. But she's ticked off because she can't be President because she's a woman. No, she won't be President because she's a phony.

Let her run and she'll discover how much the populace really dislikes her.

Reactions: FelixDeCat

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Texas Governor Gregg Abbott has single-handedly handed the election momentum back to Republicans.

People are raging all over the country about the busing of these migrants. Know who's missing in this debate? Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, who was nowhere near the Port Authority Bus Terminal in NYC on news footage I've seen and seems more upset that her ego-driven rear end may not be President one day.

AOC became prominent in this debate when she visited the detention centers and railed against Trump. But she's ticked off because she can't be President because she's a woman. No, she won't be President because she's a phony.

Let her run and she'll discover how much the populace really dislikes her.

What a weird post.

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
Talk to people around the country. The Abortion issue is not a Silver Bullet for Dems.

Not all on the Left agree with Abortion and allowing folks to cross the southern border illegally and then be handed what amounts to hundreds of millions in aid while people who were born here get smashed by the rich.

Something tells me you don't appreciate anyone who does not march in lockstep with you. I am a Dem, but not a Liberal. Or a Progressive.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Talk to people around the country. The Abortion issue is not a Silver Bullet for Dems.

Not all on the Left agree with Abortion and allowing folks to cross the southern border illegally and then be handed what amounts to hundreds of millions in aid while people who were born here get smashed by the rich.

Something tells me you don't appreciate anyone who does not march in lockstep with you. I am a Dem, but not a Liberal. Or a Progressive.

So you're anti-progress (not a progressive)? Anti-freedom (not a liberal)?

I always find denial of these very basic American and capitalist values by republicans and "moderates" very curious.

Reactions: Zorba

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
OP, you're on a roll. Maybe you should actually read articles past the headlines and misinformation talking point propaganda in your echo chamber?

giphy.gif

Reactions: ElFenix

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
So you're anti-progress (not a progressive)? Anti-freedom (not a liberal)?

I always find denial of these very basic American and capitalist values by republicans and "moderates" very curious.

You definitions are meaningless. Your descriptions of me have been all over the place. Who exactly are you helping?

You are simply pontificating on a news forum. But helping no one.

I wrote what I wrote and I could care less what many think. What happens in other countries happens in other countries. I'm not the cause of it. Just only a decade or so ago, I would agree with draining the Treasury to help the unfortunate while at the same time, defending Freedom and Democracy.

But resources have been diminished by Climate Change. I am well aware that this will cause the premature death of billions and it has already begun. I am against making the cities of this country into minute by minute hellholes of viciousness and wanton criminality.

It is happening in real time in New York City. Not because of migrants. Because of dumb and illogical "Defund the Police" mantras. The people of NYC need protection. But so many of you are fixated on exacting revenge on Trump and his minions. Not my idea of sustaining human life. Let the courts, judges and lawyers handle that.

The old adage of "there's enough for everybody" just isn't true anymore. And we have to recognize this. The Rich refuse to pay their fair share of taxes. Most Republicans would rather hurt than help. Enemies of the U.S. exist all around the world and their number is growing.

But go ahead, hurl your juvenile insults at someone who pointed this out years ago when I lambasted third party voters for basically tossing their votes away and helping to elect Trump and contribute to spirit of endless hate. Staying loyal to old political themes won't work anymore.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
You definitions are meaningless. Your descriptions of me have been all over the place. Who exactly are you helping?

I wrote what I wrote and I could care less what many think. What happens in other countries happens in other countries. I'm not the cause of it. Just only a decade or so ago, I would agree with draining the Treasury to help the unfortunate while at the same time, defending Freedom and Democracy.

But resources have been diminished by Climate Change. I am well aware that this will cause the premature death of billions and it has already begun. I am against making the cities of this country into minute by minute hellholes of viciousness and wanton criminality.

It is happening in real time in New York City. Not because of migrants. Because of dumb and illogical "Defund the Police" mantras. The people of NYC need protection, But so many of you are fixated on exacting revenge on Trump and his minions. Not my idea of sustaining human life. The courts, judges and lawyers handle that.

The old adage of "there's enough for everybody" just isn't true anymore. And we have to recognize this. The Rich refuse to pay their fair share of taxes. Most Republicans would rather hurt than help. Enemies of the U.S. exist all around the world and their number is growing.

But go ahead, hurl your juvenile insults at someone who pointed this out years ago when I lambasted third party voters for basically tossing their votes away and helping elect Trump. Staying loyal to old political themes won't work anymore.

Wow,. defensive much?

I'm not insulting you. I asked an honest question why you refuse those terms.

Seems to me you are progressive and liberal, but those words have been demonized in your social circles to mean the opposite of what they actually mean.

BTW, I'm center right politically. I am both progressive AND liberal in many areas.

Also, it seems you misunderstand "defund the police." They don't want to stop actual law enforcement. They want law enforcement to be freed from being mental health and social services and shift that funding to actual services that do more than just punish and jail people with social and mental health problems. Relying on justice and law enforcement for medical and mental health issues is, in itself, a form of insanity.

I may not agree with the most radical defund the police ideas, but using police as mental health and social services MUST end. We are the ONLY first world country to have shifted our mental health system to the police.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
They don't really want to penalize employers who use laborers who don't have work authorization for example.

You have not lived until you've sat next to a MAGA hat wearing general contractor who's talking on the phone about one of their crew getting family members from Mexico to come up for "visits" so they can take on some more jobs.

Everybody is full of shit until proven otherwise.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

It is happening in real time in New York City. Not because of migrants. Because of dumb and illogical "Defund the Police" mantras. The people of NYC need protection. But so many of you are fixated on exacting revenge on Trump and his minions. Not my idea of sustaining human life. Let the courts, judges and lawyers handle that.

But go ahead, hurl your juvenile insults at someone who pointed this out years ago when I lambasted third party voters for basically tossing their votes away and helping to elect Trump and contribute to spirit of endless hate. Staying loyal to old political themes won't work anymore.
There was no defunding of the police in NYC. Where are you getting all these insane ideas?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
There was no defunding of the police in NYC. Where are you getting all these insane ideas?

A cop is the mayor for Christs sake. It's an entire city run by cops for cops. It's not possible to get any more cops involved in things than they already are.

Over $5B is budgeted for them. This is more than what most countries spend on their national defense.

Reactions: hal2kilo

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
A cop is the mayor for Christs sake. It's an entire city run by cops for cops. It's not possible to get any more cops involved in things than they already are.

Over $5B is budgeted for them. This is more than what most countries spend on their national defense.
What really happened in NYC and other cities is in response to criticism the police decided to stop doing their jobs but still collected their paychecks. This is hardly the first time the police have done this but because the police union in NYC acts with total impunity nothing will be done about it.

Seriously the PBA, SBA, etc. all need to be disbanded.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
What really happened in NYC and other cities is in response to criticism the police decided to stop doing their jobs but still collected their paychecks. This is hardly the first time the police have done this but because the police union in NYC acts with total impunity nothing will be done about it.

Seriously the PBA, SBA, etc. all need to be disbanded.

It's little better than mob protection rackets at this point, though perhaps that's unfair because the mob might actually do something if you get hit. They at least have concern for their revenue stream. Cops get their pay either way.

Decertify their unions and can anybody who doesn't wan to do their jobs.

Reactions: hal2kilo