Discussion Maybe we should ban religion all together

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Legislating religious beliefs into federal law is where I draw a line. There's this constant effort to do just that by the religious right as if to say they know what's good for everyone else and oh, by the way, if they don't force their beliefs on "the heathen" then their (Christian) churches will decline into obscurity via attrition so "let's make laws to prevent that from happening". Methinks the creation of a state religion based on Christianity is the ultimate goal for them.

Believe what you will and leave everyone else to make up their own minds within, of course, the limits of the law.

What's so hard or wrong about that?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Waiting for the first politician to state I will not make religion part of this campaign. That is a personal decision and will remain in the confines of my family.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I realise it's just me who would rather ban cars. Seems more achievable than banning religion.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
That would be the internet now.

I know that's not meant very seriously, but I don't agree. Marx, after all, meant it mainly in the sense of 'pain killer'. I don't think the internet acts as a consolation or means to endure the pain of difficult lives. In fact, maybe that analogy hasn't changed very much, possibly it would still literally be opioids - we just have more powerful ones now. Religion as fentanyl?

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Wouldnt it be amazing with a society in which schools taught religion as a culture historic concept, something apes of old used to believe in, and then just taught the children the truth. No magic men in skies. You live you live, you die you dead. Done.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Wouldnt it be amazing with a society in which schools taught religion as a culture historic concept, something apes of old used to believe in, and then just taught the children the truth. No magic men in skies. You live you live, you die you dead. Done.
The real problem is people who believe they're keepers of the TRUTH.

Reactions: Muse

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
The real problem is people who believe they're keepers of the TRUTH.
Even in the most "free" societies, we a still harming young souls like @7yo, listen up little Lisa, about that magic man in the sky, that is something you have to figure out for yourself if its something you believe in.
I mean. What. A. Mind. Job..... And this is coming from the adults that is supposed to be protecting Lisa.
I dont get it.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
While religion certainly can be the root cause of hate, more often than not it is just a conduit for humanity to express hatred through.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I'm non-religious, but I don't want to ban religion. Rather, I want to end the stigma surrounding non-religious people in office, where people have to put on a dog and pony show to pretend they're religious no matter how obvious it is that they aren't. I still find it hilarious/sad that so many (thankfully not all) Christians claim Trump has their back even though it's patently obvious that he's not only not religious, but probably the most immoral US leader in decades.

I want non-religious politicians to campaign and win as who they are. I want them to promise true separation of church and state while reassuring the religious that this isn't a war against them. And I want a society where right-wing religious politicians aren't trying to passive-aggressively institute theocracy.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I'm non-religious, but I don't want to ban religion. Rather, I want to end the stigma surrounding non-religious people in office, where people have to put on a dog and pony show to pretend they're religious no matter how obvious it is that they aren't. I still find it hilarious/sad that so many (thankfully not all) Christians claim Trump has their back even though it's patently obvious that he's not only not religious, but probably the most immoral US leader in decades.

I want non-religious politicians to campaign and win as who they are. I want them to promise true separation of church and state while reassuring the religious that this isn't a war against them. And I want a society where right-wing religious politicians aren't trying to passive-aggressively institute theocracy.

My objection would be, with religion you have a pyramid of power, power positions that is filled with people often of dubious character and with minimal oversight. Until the day you get all of religions middle management to sign on to a all-religions-are-created-equal piece of paper, religion is going to get used for personal gain. again and again and again ... and again.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Even in the most "free" societies, we a still harming young souls like @7yo, listen up little Lisa, about that magic man in the sky, that is something you have to figure out for yourself if its something you believe in.
I mean. What. A. Mind. Job..... And this is coming from the adults that is supposed to be protecting Lisa.
I dont get it.

I've had wonderful experiences with Christians worthy of the name and I don't think you are correct. Some people teach hate with religion but that is not universally true and you might consider that you are displaying bigotry here about something you don't understand, but judge yourself to have authority to condemn. It's not a good look.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
I dont get it.
What is the harm of little Lisa learning the tenants of faith and deciding later whether they're worth believing in or not?

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
My objection would be, with religion you have a pyramid of power, power positions that is filled with people often of dubious character and with minimal oversight. Until the day you get all of religions middle management to sign on to a all-religions-are-created-equal piece of paper, religion is going to get used for personal gain. again and again and again ... and again.
That's not religion creating those problems, it's human nature.

Reactions: FelixDeCat
Nov 29, 2006
Id be ok with it, if you could make it happen. They are the most flawed humans. Easily brainwashed at a young age. Definitely the most ignorant group around.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Id be ok with it, if you could make it happen. They are the most flawed humans. Easily brainwashed at a young age. Definitely the most ignorant group around.
Ah, I see. Those with a different world view than your own are flawed, weak and, ignorant. I'll own that if you own being a bigot.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Hate crime...wackjob...fundie nut

Oh c'mon. Like you've never seen some dangerous jihadi looking types on your way to bible school and been in a position to do The Lord's Work. Feh.

It's friggin meshuggeneh what religion can do to people.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Hate crime...wackjob...fundie nut

Oh c'mon. Like you've never seen some dangerous jihadi looking types on your way to bible school and been in a position to do The Lord's Work. Feh.

It's friggin meshuggeneh what religion can do to people.
Quite a foaming frenzy you've got going on there. You alright?

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Quite a foaming frenzy you've got going on there. You alright?

A little sad for the victims, but good overall thanks. Though I did use both bold and italics there, didn't I? Yeah, sorry for all that... foam.

Frenzy? I'm calmer than the holy roller that just put 8 people in the hospital looks, I'd worry about his kind, not mine. I'm not one of those calling to outlaw religion FWIW.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
That would be the internet now.
Re: religion of the masses...

No kidding, given the new phenomenon of a high percentage of people in public looking at their cell phones. It gives rise to the question... what exactly are they doing? Chatting, responding to instant messaging? Tweets? Instagram messages? Checking their email? I've seen people on public transportation playing games with them. I never ask.