May Day 2008

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
These kinds of rallies are good places for ICE to hold illegal immigration round-ups. Start checking ID's and green cards, IMMEDIATELY deport the ones who are here illegally.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: BoomerD
These kinds of rallies are good places for ICE to hold illegal immigration round-ups. Start checking ID's and green cards, IMMEDIATELY deport the ones who are here illegally.

What if they don't have any ID on them? I don't always walk around with my driver's license. You seriously want the government to start detaining and ID-ing people for the offense of participating in a political rally? Doesn't that seem just a tad police state to you? (not to mention hideously unconstitutional)

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Continually permitting the illegal invasion seems far more unconstitutional to me than rounding up criminals.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Only in america can people who have broken the law and continue to break the law gather and protest for rights.

Ship them all the fuck out.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
If only our government cared enough about illegal immigrants to fund ICE properly.

Just like the war on drugs, ICE is only funded enough to go after the 'big fish'. Street round-ups are not on their list of priorities. They mainly target employers who have a large number of illegals in their workforce, like a food processing plant in my area that they raided about 6 months ago.

You can yell and scream as much as you want about 'shipping them out', but in reality they are coming in much faster than we send them out.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: jpeyton
If only our government cared enough about illegal immigrants to fund ICE properly.

Just like the war on drugs, ICE is only funded enough to go after the 'big fish'. Street round-ups are not on their list of priorities. They mainly target employers who have a large number of illegals in their workforce, like a food processing plant in my area that they raided about 6 months ago.

You can yell and scream as much as you want about 'shipping them out', but in reality they are coming in much faster than we send them out.

Yep. I really wish we could empower local police to enfore the law. At least start looking at bringing on one person, two, etc for enforcement.

rpanic

Golden Member
Dec 1, 2006
Originally posted by: eskimospy

I love it when all the people who don't live in southern California try to act like they know how things are here. I don't try to tell you people what things are like at a Klan meeting, so why do you insist on acting like you know what things are like here?

Everyone that doesn?t like it is a Klan member yadadada.

LOL I live no more that 20 miles from where these photos were shot, I see this going on even outside of rallies, La Raza is very popular here. I think photos show exactly how it is here and where it is going, LA is ground zero for this crap.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Continually permitting the illegal invasion seems far more unconstitutional to me than rounding up criminals.

Awesome, you're making the argument that we need to violate the constitution to protect it.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: rpanic

I love it when all the people who don't live in southern California try to act like they know how things are here. I don't try to tell you people what things are like at a Klan meeting, so why do you insist on acting like you know what things are like here?

LOL I live no more that 20 miles from where these photos were shot, I see this going on even outside of rallies, La Raza is very popular here. I think photos show exactly how it is here and where it is going, LA is ground zero for this crap.

I never said that everyone that doesn't like illegal immigration is a Klan member, I was referring to the crazies in this thread who are talking about mass unconstitutional roundups of people, sending over apache helicopters and shooting people at the borders, things like that. I mean, this isn't really anything new I know... the racist nativist crap has been a constant feature of America since the country was founded. (for a fun time you should go read some of Ben Franklin's quotes about the onrushing horde of German immigrants. Replace "German" with "Mexican" and see how familiar it sounds) I just wish people would grow up some about it.

I've lived in Southern California for quite a long time now, and things are perfectly fine here. In fact I would say mexican immigration has been a tremendous boon for the area.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

I never said that everyone that doesn't like illegal immigration is a Klan member, I was referring to the crazies in this thread who are talking about mass unconstitutional roundups of people, sending over apache helicopters and shooting people at the borders, things like that. I mean, this isn't really anything new I know... the racist nativist crap has been a constant feature of America since the country was founded. (for a fun time you should go read some of Ben Franklin's quotes about the onrushing horde of German immigrants. Replace "German" with "Mexican" and see how familiar it sounds) I just wish people would grow up some about it.

I've lived in Southern California for quite a long time now, and things are perfectly fine here. In fact I would say mexican immigration has been a tremendous boon for the area.

Boon? Why? So you can get your lawn mowed cheaper? So you can hire housecleaning service cheaper?

Obviously, if a person has NO ID, they'd need to be checked out before shipping them across the border. There have been quite a few instances where legal residents and even citizens were deported improperly, but the ones who are here illegally have NO CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I live in southern California as well and to those who say lets write it off and move the border are living in a dream world. I have a better idea lets cut those states out that are below a certain gdp and let them sit idle in their "american" lives. Why should people who produce less have a equal say in what is done with money produced by the larger more competent states?

If you are afraid of somebody taking your job, work harder.

As for these people. They are morons and lucky no crypts started gunning them down after seeing all that red :)

I think they would do more service to their cause by not waving foreign flags.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Boon? Why? So you can get your lawn mowed cheaper? So you can hire housecleaning service cheaper?

Obviously, if a person has NO ID, they'd need to be checked out before shipping them across the border. There have been quite a few instances where legal residents and even citizens were deported improperly, but the ones who are here illegally have NO CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS.

That's really really false. Everyone inside of the US has constitutional rights. The police cannot search any person without probable cause, illegal or no. And no, taking part in a rally is not probable cause, it would be shredded in court in about 30 seconds. In fact, you should be glad ICE isn't doing this because they are saving you lots of tax dollars. If they actually did this the government would be sued back to the stone age, and you'd be paying millions in settlements to people.

Simply put the police can't just decide to search you because you're taking part in a political protest. Surely you can understand why that's a huge violation of someone's rights, and why enabling police harassment of protesters is a really bad idea.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
It's unconstitutional to round up those who are here illegally? So whats with the ICE raids?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: blackangst1
It's unconstitutional to round up those who are here illegally? So whats with the ICE raids?

No, that's not what I said.

BoomerD said that they should go to those rallies and start checking everyone's ID. That would be an unconstitutional unreasonable search of people as you would in effect be searching them for no other reason then that they were participating in a political protest.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

BoomerD said that they should go to those rallies and start checking everyone's ID. That would be an unconstitutional unreasonable search of people as you would in effect be searching them for no other reason then that they were participating in a political protest.

Got it. I misunderstood.

I think its cloudy. To me it's similar to DUI checkpoints which ARE constitutional.

*shrug*

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Got it. I misunderstood.

I think its cloudy. To me it's similar to DUI checkpoints which ARE constitutional.

*shrug*

Yeah, but the Supreme Court opinion on the legality of DUI checkpoints rested on the idea of public safety being a sufficient compelling interest. An interesting corollary to that (and useful as a comparison here) is that the Supreme Court ruled that driving checkpoints searching cars for drugs was unconstitutional because it had no public safety purpose outside of normal law enforcement.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The biggest chumps in all of this are the ones squealing the loudest about it, because they're being exploited, boned from both ends simultaneously by the "leadership" they adore.

Big business loves illegals. Who do you think hires them, both directly and indirectly? Virtually every major corporation in America, that's who. On the one hand, they'll work like dogs and keep their heads down, because they're illegal, they have no rights, and in so doing they help depress wages for the rest of us. On the other hand, they pay taxes and SS, which they'll never collect. We've created a permanent underclass, which is, of course, ripe for leftwing agitation- they work, they contribute, they're by and large good citizens, but they live under continual fear of being singled out and deported. Equal protection under the law applies to everybody, citizen or foreigner, except them.

Illegals come here to work, and if we want to stop them from coming, we need a system that prevents them from working. Something like national ID and a govt hotline database that employers would need to use before hiring anybody, or employing subcontractors who can't verify that they've complied with that. Very straightforward.

As it is, those who sponsor all this anti- illegal immigrant crap are pissing down our collective leg, telling us it's raining, because the way they saved the money to run the campaign was by hiring illegals in the first place... With the notion that we can stop it in any other way pure racist rabble rousing, distraction and induced denial...

Attempting to institute that kind of system w/o some sort of amnesty would cause massive economic disruptions in this country, and anybody with a lick of sense realizes that. Most of the economic ills wrt illegals stem from the fact that they have no rights, and are therefore highly exploitable...

As are the morons raving about illegals, ignoring cause and effect. If the financial elite wanted to stop illegal immigration, they would, but they don't. They'd rather make money off it and make political mileage off the stupidity of the natives at the same time. Basic divide and conquer using fear and xenophobia in pursuit of the class warfare agenda of the far Right...

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Jhhnn

Illegals come here to work, and if we want to stop them from coming, we need a system that prevents them from working. Something like national ID and a govt hotline database that employers would need to use before hiring anybody, or employing subcontractors who can't verify that they've complied with that. Very straightforward.

we already have a system in place. when you get a job you file paperwork stateing youre legal to work. A national ID card wont change anything. As far as national hotlinegoes...to do what exactly? Verify a SSN? There are already systems in place that do that, that some companies use (although not for that purpose). So again we're back to...we dont need NEW laws we need to enfore the ones we already have.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Only in america can people who have broken the law and continue to break the law gather and protest for rights.

Black people in the South in the early 1960's broke the laws (such as attempting to attend segregated universities or disobeying Jim Crow laws) and protested for their rights. I guess you were one of the leading advocates for jailing their asses.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: shira

Black people in the South in the early 1960's broke the laws (such as attempting to attend segregated universities or disobeying Jim Crow laws) and protested for their rights. I guess you were one of the leading advocates for jailing their asses.

nice poke in the eye, prick.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I love the one with the racists cowards comment while the person holding it has their face covered.

What tools.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
These guys are a dream for flag stores. They must go through at least a half dozen per day during these protests.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper
Originally posted by: Farang
I support allowing much more people into the country legally. I'm probably very liberal in my approach to immigration.

Just where are we going to put this mass of new people that's causing a population explosion in this country? How do you reconcile your desire for a population explosion with (presumably) your interest in protecting the environment? How do you reconcile your desire to import impoverished people with your desire to lift poor Americans out of poverty? (There are only so many welfare dollars to go around and only so much money for public schools and health care for the poor.) How do you reconcile your, presumably, desire to improve the job market for the poor and the middle class and to attain living wages while at the same time advocating for an increased supply of impoverished labor? (Basic principles of economics tell us that when you increase the supply of labor relative to a relatively static amount of capital or demand for labor that the price point--wages--must decrease.)

correlation fallacy. Just because immigration (illegal and legal) is possibly associated with population explosion, damaging the environment, poverty, poor schools, and cheap labor doesnt mean that if you take legal/illegal immigration out of the equation you will have eradicated such social plights.

That is not true and you can't make that argument considering there are other factors which contribute to those plights you listed. But maybe you aren't making that argument?

I understand why illegals do not consider themselves criminals. But they do break the law. This isn't a civil rights issue ala the 60s, but I think it is an issue of liberty. We used to be a country where liberty was important, and so the same goes for the idea of making a better life for oneself. I don't know what the answer is but I feel as though this attitude of shooting all illegals and flying apache helicopters over our borders will not positively contribute to a solution. People still want to come into this country and we ought to continue to find ways to allow for this to happen. The current system is about as effective as it can be given our governmental resources. Any future changes to our "illegal problem" should not be directed at the illegals themselves but to the big businesses that utilize illegals.

money is everything folks.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
Originally posted by: RichardE
Going to be interesting when they finally push people too far and public opinion becomes vile enough that we start doing mass deportations.

Going to be interesting when they are finally all deported and then prices for common goods goes through the roof when companies won't be able to pay Americans to do the work that they are getting done for well below market value by illegal immigrants.

Public opinion will be screams for massive importation of workers.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Originally posted by: shira

And has absolutly NOTHING to do with this.

Anyone who waives the Soviet flag obviously has absolutely no clue what Soviet life was like. I'd love to see Shira and some of these fools tossed in a gulag for 48 hours to shake off their stupidity. It would go from waiving to burning.