Discussion Mass Effect Legendary Edition + New Mass Effect

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
If you want a mass effect experience... its CP2077. Its pretty good now, and the story and immersion constantly reminds me of that early ME vibe.

Reactions: CP5670

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
If you want a mass effect experience... its CP2077. Its pretty good now, and the story and immersion constantly reminds me of that early ME vibe.

- I think that's a big element of CDPR games in general, they kinda scratch that old school Bioware itch of well written interesting characters with complicated/fun personal dynamics.

For all of their differences, I found The Witcher 2 had a lot in common with games like Mass Effect and the voiced Dragon Age games from a story telling perspective.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Im having fun breaking my saves with mods already.

:cool:

yeah playing 5 hours with mods only to realize you broke something the DEV's said no to and having to restart is EPIC.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Cyberpunk has a great story overall but not really comparable to ME in terms of player choices and consequences.

I'm playing all the Witcher games for the first time. The first one is decent but the plot hasn't really grabbed me yet, I'm nearing the end of chapter 2.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Cyberpunk has a great story overall but not really comparable to ME in terms of player choices and consequences.

I'm playing all the Witcher games for the first time. The first one is decent but the plot hasn't really grabbed me yet, I'm nearing the end of chapter 2.

- Good info on CP2077. I own the game and haven't played it (Got it as a gift, waiting for a GPU upgrade and more patches, and more of my backlog worked down) but man that game is like a prism, it seems to be a different thing for everyone.

Also, moving from Witcher 1 to Witcher 2 is like moving from Dragon Age Origins to Dragon Age Inquisition in terms of perspective and visual design. W1 is chonk full of jank and is quite rough around the edges (not to mention incredibly juvenile with regard to sex) while Witcher 2 would work itself right into the Bioware line-up.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
It's funny how Geralt can bang any woman he just met. :D But the combat and dialogue are both pretty forgettable so far, worse than ME1 or DAI although I'll reserve judgment until I finish the game.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
It's funny how Geralt can bang any woman he just met. :D But the combat and dialogue are both pretty forgettable so far, worse than ME1 or DAI although I'll reserve judgment until I finish the game.

i do not think you can get any more better banter between team mates then Dragons Age Origin.
Im telling you, that morrigan vs varriak vs the entire world banter is quite epic.

Even the dog has banter in DA:O

Braznor

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2005
Bit the bullet and bought the game(s). ME1 still looks like 99% of the same old game to me. This is just my personal opinion, but the characters look pretty strange to me now, especially their eyes.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Bit the bullet and bought the game(s). ME1 still looks like 99% of the same old game to me. This is just my personal opinion, but the characters look pretty strange to me now, especially their eyes.

I think you need to go back and play the original game again. The difference is pretty massive, especially in lighting which is drastically improved. It does still have the spotlight issue during dialog scenes (Where faces are over bright), but its not nearly as bad as before. Before there would be hard shadows all over the characters faces.

Such as in this shot:
1621344396561.png

ME1 does now have the character models from ME2, which helps to make things more continuous across the games. Textures are of course significantly better. But lightning is the single largest change.

You can go here and use the cool slider images to slide back and forth:

The biggest improvement for me in ME1 is the combat. It was really pretty bad before. Especially if you went back to play it after playing ME2 or ME3.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
The biggest improvement for me in ME1 is the combat. It was really pretty bad before. Especially if you went back to play it after playing ME2 or ME3.

- Could you go more into detail on how the combat has changed? I actually really liked biotics from the first game actually using the physics engine (with everything translated into newtons of force), but the gunplay did leave something to be desired (although it wasn't terrible in my opinion either).

None of the ME games have particularly great combat as they really leaned into the cover shooter genre pretty hard.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
- Could you go more into detail on how the combat has changed? I actually really liked biotics from the first game actually using the physics engine (with everything translated into newtons of force), but the gunplay did leave something to be desired (although it wasn't terrible in my opinion either).

None of the ME games have particularly great combat as they really leaned into the cover shooter genre pretty hard.

The controls were mapped to act like Mass Effect 2. The old way was really clunky. Its not perfect in legendary, but it is a vast improvement. Getting in and out of cover is a lot better, although not as polished as ME2 or ME3.

The sniper rifle is *SO* much better. Before aiming down the sights resulted in this weird floating movement that you would have to upgrade as you leveled up to make it less floaty. It now acts like the sniper rifle in ME2 and ME3. Which is to say, its fun to use now.

The HUD was changed to resemble ME3's, which makes setting up hotkeys for biotics and such way easier.

Oh, inventory management is VASTLY improved. It was so bad in the original. You would constantly end up with tons of stuff with no way to sort it, no way to quickly sell off junk, and always seemed to fill up preventing you from grabbing new items as you found them.

And one of the biggest changes, all classes can use any weapon they want without taking a huge proficiency hit. Certain classes can still only get buffs to certain weapons by training them. But for instance, I have a vanguard, and I use the sniper rifle all the time now. Before I would basically be stuck with only a pistol and shotgun.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

Dannar26

Mar 13, 2012
So if you never played the game, and wanted to start, it seems like this would be worth picking up even if you own the originals?

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
So if you never played the game, and wanted to start, it seems like this would be worth picking up even if you own the originals?

Yeah, if you want to play through the trilogy, this is by far the best choice. Besides all the updates, Legendary also contains every single DLC (except 1), and you can't even get the DLC for the old ones anymore. If you don't want to play it RIGHT NOW, then maybe wait for it to go on sale. But three games for $60, which is roughly 150 hours of game play, its a good buy.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
LOL <3 Tali
Most of the technology i wanted to bring to the floatilla has attempted to kills us.

sigh still playing ME1.... i need to hurry and finish this so i can start biomutant.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Stuka87

simas

Oct 16, 2005

unless you are desperate for some Mass Effect action, I would wait - give them to patch up the bugs they have, give modders time to fix many problems in LE game. Regardless, listen to reviews and listen to reviews that list problems (ultra wide monitor support, modding support, etc). As that comes back in, decide if/when you want to dive.

I have all 3 games already and bought some of them multiple times (the whole many platforms/release systems , way before buy once play anywhere that Windows had). I am waiting as I have many things in my backlog still not finished

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Yesterday I finished Mass Effect 1, every single mission completed except for one (Scan the Keepers, I was missing two, and didn't feel like tracking down which ones I missed). This includes all the DLC missions.

Overall, GREATLY improved from a combat perspective. It made starting ME2 less jarring because the interface from ME2 was moved back into ME1. Combat *IS* easier now in ME1 because of the balance changes. Biotic cooldowns and such are all much faster now, and any class can use any weapon. You still only get buffs for class specific weapons. But I was able to rock an Assault Rifle and a Sniper Rifle on my Vanguard when being in shotgun range wasn't an option. The AI for your team members is a bit better than it was, but they will still often stand in front of you blocking your fire. The AI for the enemy has slightly better pathing it seems, but there was this weird issue where they would pop out from cover, and then instantly vanish back behind cover, and then pop out again. It was kind of jarring to see.

Visuals were so much better, though not perfect, there was still some engine limitations.

I didn't have any missions get stuck in some weird state, which was semi common in the original.

Overall, I would be hard pressed to ever want to play the original version of the game for the combat issues it had, much less all the other nice to haves that LE introduces.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018

Witcher 3 was my favorite by far. A much more engrossing story without so much politics. W2 I also finished, but found it a slog somehow, with still a lot of the political intrigue going on. I have started the first game several times and never finished it or even gotten very far. The story didnt really grab me, and the combat was just painfully awkward.

ME:LE is tempting me badly, but I was so disappointed and infuriated by the ending of the original ME3 that I probably wont buy it.

Maybe if it gets cheap on Steam and I get better internet for the huge download I will pick it up later.

Last edited:

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
ME:LE is tempting me badly, but I was so disappointed and infuriated by the ending of the original ME3 that I probably wont buy it.

Maybe if it gets cheap on Steam and I get better internet for the huge download I will pick it up later.

If you consider the fact you also get biomutant for free, you may want to consider getting a EA Play Pro pass for a few months or even a year sub for any other future titles.

But these are subscription based, so im pretty sure once u desub, you will lose access to the titles.
But ME is not something you really play long term, and well, im not hearing very good things about Biomutant as well.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
FML... keeping those dayam fish alive is annoying as hell.
I think i spent a better amount of 100k rebuying dead fish from ME2 and ME3.

ralfy

Jul 22, 2013
Obviously the same problem as the original, i.e., the last game is not finished. There should have been some boss battle at the end involving assets obtained by the protagonist throughout the three games instead of cut scenes.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I just finished Mass Effect Legendary Edition. 197 hours, played as Vanguard, then Adept, and then Sentinel. Game completed with the "Perfect" ending.

Basically reaffirmed that this trilogy is my favorite game trilogy ever.

Reactions: aigomorla

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I think its one of the best remakes so far....
It has ALL the DLC's except 1 if im not wrong, and that 1 was removed by EA.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I think its one of the best remakes so far....
It has ALL the DLC's except 1 if im not wrong, and that 1 was removed by EA.

Yeah, its missing one DLC from the first game. And as I recall, it was removed because the source to it was lost. It did not have any real impact on the game thankfully. There are some old YouTube videos of it.