Discussion Mass Effect Legendary Edition + New Mass Effect

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

simas

Oct 16, 2005
I agree about the bland player character in both MEA and DAI. In MEA in particular, most of the dialogue is very generic, and it's rare for Ryder to say anything you remember 5 minutes later. I think DAI at least had well-written companions and a very good main quest, while MEA lacked any of that. I found it hard to care about MEA's main quest or companions for 80% of the game, especially with Ryder himself being so bland. The graphics are great and the combat is fun but becomes repetitive after a while. The game is full of filler MMO-style side quests (more than even DAI) and not enough interesting quests with player choice or consequences, very unlike the old ME games.

I think Bioware was responding to the 'more freedom' demands as in ' i want to make the character mine from completely blank slate aka fallout' vs Shepard or say Geralt who has his backstory, preferences, likes, love interests, etc. While you have some freedom on shaping advanture , ultimately it is a story being old and you can not make Witcher 3 Geralt into something he is not. The curse of all open-world sandbox game is blandness of empty slate characters.

so what should game developers do? They have targetted story and audience demand more open world/sandboxy things. They make sandbox open world and audience now says this is boring and has zero personality. Duh.. who would have guessed?

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
heads up, ME:Legendary i hear its a 120GB file.... sigh...
And here i thought CoD: Warzone was bad enough.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006

- Shoulda done something like the Halo MCE and made each individual game a DLC within the collection, so no one is obligated to download the whole stinkin' thing in one go. 3 x 40gb files is a bit more palatable than 1x 120gb file.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010

Yeah, I wasn't sure if it could be installed as three standalone games, or if it was literally one game with three chapters or something.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Game launches tomorrow....
I get it for free on my EA Play Pro sub, so i shall let you guys know how it is.
I may just end up grinding mayhem from day one tho. lol, interesting on how they are going to combine the mayhem modes for all 3.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Really tempted to give this a try after the remaster. I would like to see how the changes improved the game and story, but am sticking to the promise I made to myself to never play or buy anything related to Mass Effect after the travesty that was ME3. The huge file size is the final nail in the coffin. I hate the huge file sizes of today's games, not only because of SSD space, but more so that it literally takes days to download on my crappy DSL.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Game launches tomorrow....
I get it for free on my EA Play Pro sub, so i shall let you guys know how it is.
I may just end up grinding mayhem from day one tho. lol, interesting on how they are going to combine the mayhem modes for all 3.

I went ahead and bought it (I dont have EA Play). But I am super excited to replay, asI think its been like 5 years since I played through all three (for the 3rd time).

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Watched a play back of the first 20 minutes of this, and now I want it. PC or console?

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Watched a play back of the first 20 minutes of this, and now I want it. PC or console?

Yes :)

Its PC, PS4, XB1, PS5, and XSX

Choose which ever works best for you. The console version can have each game installed on its own. But currently the PC version installs all three together, which is 105GB.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Yes :)

Its PC, PS4, XB1, PS5, and XSX

Choose which ever works best for you. The console version can have each game installed on its own. But currently the PC version installs all three together, which is 105GB.
PC it is then! I was going to go PS5, but the website says not all of the PS4 features will work on the PS5.

Reactions: Stuka87

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I have decided to sit out the launch, will buy it later once you lot have beta tested it extensively.

- Same. I'm glad that all the DLC is finally being put into one place, since I have not played much of it outside of the free stuff that came with ME2.

Really enjoy the ME trilogy but a few things:

- I've replayed each game at least half a dozen times, if not more.
- I'm not entirely sold on some of the remastering that has been done (backporting models from ME3 into ME2 and 1 looks a little wonky based on some of the screens).
- I ain't paying $60 bucks for what is essentially a DLC bundle for me.

I strongly suspect that the LE will find itself on deep discount sooner rather than later as the initial nostalgia sales tank and as a remaster there likely is not a ton of overhead to recover. EA seems to follow the standard big dev sales methodology: Launch full price, -25% off after 1-3 months, -50% off after 3-6 months, -75%+ off after 6 months.

They have the sales/return curve all mapped out.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005

No mayhem mode... ARGH.... the game is gonna flomp... its the multiplayer that kept me in andromeda and 3.
Otherwise i see the game very tedious having to do 3 seasons of storyline for each paragon level.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I wonder if they are changing the engine and if it will work with saved games from the originals. All three games were much more fun to play using the Unreal engine's slomo command to speed up the game. I bound keys to that command to let me run around quickly. Otherwise you waste a lot of time just running around places, and Shepard runs very slowly. I did the same thing in the KOTOR games as well. Andromeda didn't support this and was considerably more tedious to play.

- Same. I'm glad that all the DLC is finally being put into one place, since I have not played much of it outside of the free stuff that came with ME2.

The ME3 DLCs are really good, while the ones for ME1 and 2 are a mixed bag. I liked the one where you fly a hovertank like the Battlezone games, but it has nothing to do with ME.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
So im expecting a Dragons Age Legendary soon seeing how EA seems to be getting lazy making titles, and just spinning remakes.

We got Crysis.
We now got Mass Effect.
All thats left is Dragons Age.

Because I really have no faith in Bethesda to do a proper remake on Fallout 3, or Oblivion without trying to make it into some kind of cash grab MMO.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
So im expecting a Dragons Age Legendary soon seeing how EA seems to be getting lazy making titles, and just spinning remakes.

We got Crysis.
We now got Mass Effect.
All thats left is Dragons Age.

Because I really have no faith in Bethesda to do a proper remake on Fallout 3, or Oblivion without trying to make it into some kind of cash grab MMO.

- The Dragon Age games would not make as "clean" of a remaster as the ME series would.

There is a huge gap in terms of both gameplay and graphics moving from Origins to Inquisition, more than can really be bridged with some imported models, reworked lighting, upsampled textures, and basic gameplay tweaks.

Inquisition is also already DA's "Andromeda" in the sense that the game was almost terminally bland and revolved around the same faux open world design principles that ruined Andromeda. The fact that the game didn't have outright amature mistakes in production keeps it in AAA territory, otherwise it marks the beginning of the end for Bioware as far as I'm concerned. No need to bundle it in a "remaster".

Keeping my fingers crossed for ME & DA 4, let's see if Bioware remembers how to make a good game with compelling characters and an engaging story.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
DOWNLOAD SIZE
100.21 GB

SIZE AFTER INSTALL
103.74 GB

Downloading right now.

Capture.PNG
Gotta love that 1gb Fiber. :)

• Wow
Reactions: blckgrffn

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Bought the game. Avoiding this thread for spoilers, since I've never played the trilogy.

I have it on Steam, and the download was smaller (93GB) but the install size is the same as @aigomorla

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
About two hours in so far. Made a custom femshep, which turned out ok.

The only issue I have seen is that sometimes (This is in ME1) enemies teleport into cover. Like the animation for them going from peaking, to full cover is missing. Its not a huge deal. Overall the combat is greatly improved over the original ME1.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Hmmm.... i think i was expecting more in the GFX improvements.
But this is how it looks with everything on max.... well the limited options we get in graphics that is.

Capture.PNG

I wonder if they added ray tracing to this, so i can see the geith reflected though shepards eyes.

Incase anyone is wondering how the transition is, you are given a choice in what chapter you wish to play:
Capture1.PNG

So technically you really can start anywhere.

But not having the multiplayer you get in 3 and andromeda still leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Last edited:

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
But this is how it looks with everything on max.... well the limited options we get in graphics that is.

I wonder if they added ray tracing to this, so i can see the geith reflected though shepards eyes.

Incase anyone is wondering how the transition is, you are given a choice in what chapter you wish to play:

But not having the multiplayer you get in 3 and andromeda still leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Its still using the same engine. So ME1 is still limited to what that version of Unreal can handle.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006

View attachment 44352

View attachment 44353

-Full disclosure: don't have and haven't played ME:LE, but a couple things:

- ME 1 is probably suffering from nostalgia goggles. That thing where a game looks better in the mind's eye than it actually did when you're playing it. I suspect the remaster is just making the game look like people remember it, not how it actually looked.

-ME 1 had some wildly inconsistent graphics, esp on the PC port. Some areas and models were super clean and translate really well, while other areas had muddy low res textures and looked like garbage (Garus looked like crap on the PC while Wrex had all this incredible normal mapping and high res textures). Might also be getting in the way depending on where you are.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
That looks like it's still the same Unreal engine, which is good. The slomo commands and existing saved games will probably still work.

ME1 had a great story and atmosphere, but the gameplay was repetitive and tedious, especially all the recycled maps in the side missions. The weapons you picked up also felt inconsequential since you kept getting slightly better stuff all the time. Although I would say it was no worse than other RPGs of the time.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
omg i totally miss how Bioware used to have a lot of cross companion side banter which we don't get anymore.
They were kings at this, i used to just idle my game on dragons age to listen to Morrigan has it out with Varric in some of the most comical scripts Claudia Black has ever had to do.

Sigh... its really sad when you see how much EA has killed what greatness Bioware used to be.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Sigh... its really sad when you see how much EA has killed what greatness Bioware used to be.

- There have been a number of recent expose type articles that detail just how much Bioware is to blame in their own predicament.

The folks that founded Bioware and even the folks that started out the Dragon Age and Mass Effect series are long gone, and what you have left are people trying to chase the most current trends and blowing years of dev time hunting snipes and chasing pipe dream elements of projects, only to have to basically cram an entire game's development into 1-2 years of hellish crunch time when they should have ostensibly had 4-5 years.

I'll hate on EA as much as the next guy for some of the crap business practices they have pioneered or pushed in gaming, but Bioware shares a pretty huge portion of the blame for their last couple duds for just not having a good vision for what they wanted to accomplish.

The Trespasser DLC in Inquisition shows that Bioware is still inherently capable of making solid content, but whether or not they have the leadership to make those types of games is another story entirely.