Mars Rover SPirit Stuck by its own airbags, NASA sent a VERY Expensive digital camera to mars .

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: msarusac
I was just looking at the nasa mars website and came along the Viking missions back in the 70s. Besides a better camera (and other instruments of course) and a moveable rover, is there really any difference between this mission and the ones back in the 70s? Why is there such a hype now when successful probes have been sent to Mars already 30 years ago?

Viking picture website
Well for one thing these recent vehicles have much better range. They are larger and can traverse more ground. But they also have better cameras as you mentioned, and probably a longer operable lifespan. Additionally this one has some basic geological equipment AFAIK, to do things like drilling shallowly and helping to uncover information about the planet in that sense.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: BlinderBomber

Think about the gravity of what they are doing right now. NASA has succesfully landed its second rover on ANOTHER PLANET. This thing is so far away you can't even begin to comprehend. They are CONTROLLING this thing from earth. That alone is amazing. Just because things aren't going according to plan doesn't make this mission a failure or anything close. The ability of humans to put a remote controlled robot on another planet is awe inspiring enough. Personally, even if the rover is unable to make it off the landing craft, i will still be impressed. This is totally differen than Kobe dunking, this is real progress, a real step for mankind in many ways. I really can't understand how you can criticize them for the problems they are running into.

EA is right, you couldn't do any better. In fact, this seems to be a bit of bad luck. Nothing more. In hindsight everyone will say, "well they should've expected difficulty getting off the lander". Maybe. BUt they had bigger things to worry about, like landing the damned thing. There are ALWAYS intangibles that come up, especially in a mission like this.

Both you and nanyangview need to get a grip on reality and realize what they are trying to accomplish before naysaying on somethign that is "so obvious".
BlinderBomber & EA are both right!

I'm getting tired of searching NASA's site for one tiny piece of info. That is, how long does it take a transmission to reach Mars? Simple, no? I CAN'T FIND IT!

Kaervak

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Ornery
I'm getting tired of searching NASA's site for one tiny piece of info. That is, how long does it take a transmission to reach Mars? Simple, no? I CAN'T FIND IT!

IIRC just over ten minutes.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Originally posted by: msarusac
I was just looking at the nasa mars website and came along the Viking missions back in the 70s. Besides a better camera (and other instruments of course) and a moveable rover, is there really any difference between this mission and the ones back in the 70s? Why is there such a hype now when successful probes have been sent to Mars already 30 years ago?

Viking picture website
Well for one thing these recent vehicles have much better range. They are larger and can traverse more ground. But they also have better cameras as you mentioned, and probably a longer operable lifespan. Additionally this one has some basic geological equipment AFAIK, to do things like drilling shallowly and helping to uncover information about the planet in that sense.

not to mention back then they had the equiv of 5 billion to fund that mission. quite a difference:)

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
there are NO problems with the rover....they're turning (today and and tomorrow) the rover 120 degrees to the side and then roll off another exit route.

Before you post BS please do your homework. I check the nasa/jpl sites each day for the stats and ('til now) everything goes excellent.

A good site for updates is
Spaceflight Now - Mera stats
btw.

nyv, how about 'meditating' towards some positive attitude toward the life and everything in general ? grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Chrono

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2001
Originally posted by: nanyangview
man..even a toy car won't get stuck like that:
Rover is Stuck

NASA's efforts to clear the way for the Spirit rover to reach Mars' surface have so far failed, and engineers are considering alternative routes for manoeuvring the six-wheeled robot off its lander, scientists said Thursday.

Too bad..i was waiting for the mars scientific experiments :(

Time to see someone for some counseling. ATOT will only offer you so much. You need help.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: rh71
Of course it's a huge feat. Pointing that thing towards Mars from 7 months away was a huge feat itself.

Anyone know how long it takes for images to be shot back to earth ?
Already answered five posts back.

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000
Mars is 100 million miles away.
All radio trasmissions travel at c, 186,00 miles/second

That is 537 seconds.

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000
Originally posted by: Nelmster
Heehee...

On the move is right! Linkified for proof.

:beer:

ROFLMAO
From that article:
This image from a rear camera on Spirit shows the lander platform, about three feet away at the time this picture was taken.
As new images streamed across the screens at JPL, the group of engineers and scientists cheered and hugged each other. The song "Who let the dogs out" played over speakers and project manager Peter Theisinger showed off a T-shirt with an image of the rover and text that said "My other car is on Mars."

iliopsoas

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Jzero
I hear the crow lunch special in this thread is excellent today.

Yummy! Yah, I heard the all-you-can-eat crow buffet is quite delicious

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: MBony
Wasn't there a thread earlier by some dude who hoped that it broke a wheel or something? I hope this proves him/her wrong. w00t for NASA!
Point and laugh at nincompoopview bump.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
That's good news, but I have a question. A day and a half back, they decided to drive off the platform. So my question is WTH are they doing that takes 1.5ish days to drive the rover a few Meters?

Possible answers:

1) Solar panels charging batteries
2) Dragging feet to lengthen News exposure
3) NASA is a bureaurocratic Hell on Earth

Anyone knows why?

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: sandorski
That's good news, but I have a question. A day and a half back, they decided to drive off the platform. So my question is WTH are they doing that takes 1.5ish days to drive the rover a few Meters?

Possible answers:

Anyone knows why?

Yesterday they were completing the multi-point turn necessary to position it to exit the lander.

Viper GTS

NogginBoink

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002

Possible answers:

Anyone knows why?

4) Planning very, very, very carefully... having many people review and re-review the plan, and
5) ensuring they converted from feet to meters properly

Jan 18, 2001
Originally posted by: NogginBoink

Possible answers:

Anyone knows why?

4) Planning very, very, very carefully... having many people review and re-review the plan, and

they also need a line of sight to communicate with mars, so about 12 hours/day is down time.

Jan 18, 2001

Possible answers:

Anyone knows why?

they also need a line of sight to communicate with mars, so about 12 hours/day is down time.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: yamahaXS

Possible answers:

Anyone knows why?

That makes the most sense, added in with the other responses I could see taking days to finalize(err start) it.